• Published 30th Dec 2011
  • 14,833 Views, 194 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 1: Pegasus - Jeweled Pen

  • ...
23
 194
 14,833

cH4P73r Platypus

Trixie groaned as she looked around. The mare was floating in an empty white space. She slowly kicked her hooves out, but she couldn't feel anything. Not even if she was falling.

“It sucks being predestined for failure, does it not?” a voice asked from behind her.

“What? Who's there?!” she shrieked as she tried to turn around. After flailing about for a few moments she imagined she had to have turned around, but all she could still see was the eternal vastness of empty space.

“Oh, don't mind me,” the voice said loudly, its voice brimming with condescension. “I'm just another voice in your head.”

“W-who are you?” Trixie asked as she kept looking around. “Where am I? How did I get here?”

“Oh, that would spoil the fun. Though I imagine our smarter readers can already guess,” the voice said before erupting in booming chuckles. “You're dead, my dear. Or rather, ended. After all, your character is no longer needed. The commander dies at the end, never seen again. Well, at least in the first. No more words remain to bring you to life, after all.”

“What are you talking about?! SHOW YOURSELF!” the general screamed as she flailed about.

“Fine, fine,” the voice said. There was a light snap as the creature appeared. He had a head of a pony with a single antler pointing out of the top and a strange horn that curved so it looked like it was made from bubbles on top of each other. He had red beady eyes with bright yellow sclera and large bushy white eye brows. His head and neck were a dark gray though the rest of its body was dark brown. His left arm was that of a gryphon's while its right arm was that of a dragon's. His left leg looked like one from a buffalo while it's right leg came from a dragon. He had one large bat wing and one large blue pegasus wing on its back and a long snake-like tail. He stood hundreds of feet tall, though he was sitting below her so she floated near his head.

Now that Trixie had something to focus on she could tell that she was indeed spinning head over hooves uncontrollably. “AHHHHH!” she shrieked.

“Oh, do calm down,” the creature said with a chuckle as he reached out with his right claw and gripped her head to stop the spinning. “Now allow me to introduce myself, I am Discord. Spirit of chaos and disharmony. A pleasure to meet you.”

Trixie stared up at the creature for a moment before hmphing. “Discord? Impossible. He's nothing more than a fairy tale used to frighten those who try to disobey our queen.”

“Oh, I am very much real. I've come to offer you a choice,” he said as a grin formed on his lips. “I can... alter your story. Change it. Just a few words. Give you a one in a million chance to survive.”

“What? Why would you help me? If you're powerful enough to do that, then why?”

“Easy,” Discord said as he held out his claw. A stack of papers formed into it. “Ahem. Allow me to read you a summary of the final notes. 'Nightmare Moon stared down at the avatar, yada yada, friendship, love, evil queen is defeated and the ritual is stopped. Friendship and harmony win the day.' Gaaaaaaag,” the spirit said with a retching sound.

“So if I don't help you, you lose? Why should I care?” the unicorn asked as she crossed her hooves.

“Oh Trixie, Trixie, Trixie. Isn't it obvious? I'm giving you a chance. One chance to destroy the avatar and become even more powerful than Nightmare Moon,” Discord said as he smiled ever so innocently. “Don't you trust me?”

“... How much more powerful?” the mare asked as she rubbed a hoof under her chin.

“More powerful than either of them could ever dream. Powerful enough to crush the empire under a single hoof.”

“... I... agree. But don't even think about betraying me,” she grumbled.

“Oh, I wouldn't dream of it,” he said with a snicker as he put his fingertip to her horn. Her eyes went wide as images flashed behind them. After a few moments she groaned.

“So that's... how you did it,” she said as she held her head.

“Of course,” he said with a chuckle as she disappeared in a flash. “After all, no one ever checks the titles.” He slowly turned to gaze at the empty void as he places a finger to his lips. “Remember everyone... shhhhhhhh.”