• Published 4th Mar 2012
  • 17,809 Views, 536 Comments

Broken Spirit - Cryssy-miu



A story of struggle, redemption, friendship, and forgiveness.

  • ...
26
 536
 17,809

Chapter 2 - No, I Don't Like You

"Oh, Equestria!" Pinkie Pie cried in horror, and she shook the draconequus – who didn't move an inch, despite his shattered bones being tossed about inside him. "Don't go into the liiight, Discord!"

"Pinkie!" Applejack shouted, yanking back her sniffling friend. "What in tarnation are y'all doing? Darn near every bone in his body is broken ah bet! He can't be slammed around like that!"

"But he went into the light!"

"He didn't go into the light, Pinkie, for the love of Equestria! He just passed out." The southern pony gazed down at the still twisted form; he really did look dead, limp, disheveled, tears drying onto his face. He was bleeding a bit as well.

"How am I supposed to get him back to my cottage now?" Fluttershy slumped down despondently, realizing the bad dilemma. Even if the draconequus was awake, it wasn't like he'd be able to walk to the cottage himself. Fluttershy closed her eyes when she realized what the solution was. Reluctantly, she turned to the purple mare, who had her head buried in her arms. "Twilight-"

"No."

"Twilight, please!" Fluttershy pleaded, hooves clasped. "Your magic will be strong enough to levitate him all the way to the cottage. You know I can't carry him; you know how strong your magic is." The pegasus silenced instantly when the unicorn spun to look at her, a look of absolute anguish and grief crumpling her face.

"Yes," she sobbed, "I do know how strong my magic is!" The mare tore past them, almost knocking her friends over as she blindly stumbled up the hole, sobbing.

"Twilight!" Applejack called after her. "Hunny, come back! It'll be alright! Twilight!" She scrambled up and looked through the hole, disheartened when she saw nothing but the black night. Not a pony in sight.

"So now what do we do?" Fluttershy whispered, and every one of her friends looked at each other, completely lost. "We need to carry him by magic. We could really risk hurting him even more if we all try to lift him." She hesitated, and then turned to Rarity. "Um..Rarity.."

"Dear Equestria!" The white unicorn's eyes bugged out, paling (if anyone could tell.) "Darling, you can't be serious! You know my magic – although quite lovely – is nowhere near as strong as Twilight's! Why, I lift scissors and fabrics – not giant dragon..pony...things!"

"Oh, Rarity, you could do it if you really tried! Please, we're running out of options!" The yellow pegasus felt sick as she looked down at Discord, seeing he wasn't breathing well. "And time.."

"Fluttershy, I simply can't! I'd drop him immediately and you know...." The fashion unicorn blinked, watching as tears filled her best friend's blue eyes to the brim. "....it. Ugh."

Sighing, the unicorn lowered her head and began focusing all her strength into her horn. A soft hue enveloped Discord, gently lifting his body into the air. The draconequus wavered a few times in the air as Rarity tried to get accustomed to lifting something other than her usual cloths and tools. Eventually, the glow and Discord became steady. Rarity smiled. "Oh, look at that! I can do it!"

Fluttershy's eyes sparkled, the tears leaving them. "Oh Rarity, I knew you'd be able to do it. Now.." She climbed up the hole, gently taking the rest of her friend's hooves and helping them up. "We need to get him to my place – fast."

xxxxxxxx

Discord's head was swimming, and he wondered if he was actually finally waking up this time. For the past five hours, he could feel his body jolting into subconsciousness, and he'd hear voices; worried whispers, tense and uncertain. Then, he'd fade out again.

"Are you awake yet? Are ya?"

Poke.

"Wake up, sleepy head."

Poke.

"Pinkie Pie, dear, I don't think it's a very good idea to poke him right now." Instantly, when Discord recognized the hideously angelic voice, he shot up – only to wince in agony. Colors at the end of his made up bed blurred in his vision, as did the sparkles and rainbow streaks flowing in her ethereal mane.

"How are you feeling?" Celestia asked evenly, tossing a damp cloth on one of his wounds.

The draconequus shook off his remaining dizziness and licked his dry and cracked lips. He contemplated what to say for a few seconds, finally deciding the first thing he'd say since the ordeal would be a smart retort:

"A bit better until your face was the first thing that greeted my sight." This was met by Celestia merrily stomping on his sore tail, electing a squeal of pain from the creature.

"You feel a bit better," Celestia continued, ignoring the chimera's mean remark, "because I cast a small numbing spell when Fluttershy was stitching you up." She pointed to where parts of the draconequus's skin was patterned with embedded thread. "The worst of your injuries are your breaks: two breaks in both your legs, a nearly shattered tail, broken ribs, bruises.."

"Oh, do keep listing - it's ever so enjoyable," Discord snapped sarcastically, attempting to shift his sore feet in a different position under his blankets.

Upon examining his body, he discovered every one of his appendages – except for his arms, although one was in a sling – were tightly wrapped together with bandages. His fur was ruffled and unkempt, and cuts were scattered all over his skin. Deeply ashamed by his sight, the creature swallowed hard and pulled the blankets up further. He disguised the pain in his face with anger and hatred.

"Perhaps if you had maybe stayed put in your statue where you belonged, this would not have had to happen," the princess stated matter-of-factly.

"And remain a lawn ornament the rest of my life? Oh, spare me the platitudes, Celestia. Just enlighten me as to why you're here so you can leave – immediately."

Eyes glazing over with a cool look, the princess turned away from the bed, turning to the crowd of uncomfortable ponies gathered by the bed side. "I was alerted by Twilight Sparkle. She told me-"

"Oh, wait, wait – let me guess." Smirking, the draconequus cleared his throat, cradled his head in his hands and began poorly imitating Twilight Sparkle's voice. "Dear Princess Celestia, today I learned that my little horn has the power to kill the spirit of disharmony. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle."

Every pony's head turned to Pinkie Pie, who was pounding the floor with her hooves, laughing. "Oh, that was such a hilarious impression of Twilight!" the earth pony snorted, and the draconequus further smirked.

"Discord, she feels terrible for what she did," Celestia frowned. "I haven't ever seen her so upset!" The ponies nodded in agreement.

"And I'm supposed to care?" he drawled, further infuriating the princess. "It surprises me that she'd feel terrible for hurting me. And I mean, honestly, when exactly did I slam any pony against a wall – over and over?"

He settled further under his blankets, looking annoyed. "You ponies have the most unjust punishments for something as minor as just messing with nature a little. Goodness, I even quenched you all with chocolate milk!"

"Chocolate milk?" It was clear that this was the only thing that Pinkie Pie seemed to choose to listen to from the conversation. "Oh, where?"

The exhausted draconequus ran a talon down his face. "Oh, go get some from the fridge!" he snapped, rolling his eyes at Pinkie Pie's "okey-dokey-lokey!" as she merrily pranced off. He glared over from the corner of a miffed, crimson eye when Celestia came closer to him.

"Discord, she never meant it.. She wouldn't try to physically hurt you. It was out of her control!" Celestia was desperate to defend her student, even though it probably didn't matter when Discord hated the unicorn to begin with.

"Out of control, right," Discord muttered and then he slightly wriggled his upper body out of the blankets a bit, leering into Celestia's eyes. "Aren't you her teacher? Isn't it your job to help her harness that power? If she's such an amazing student, she would have been able to control her spells by now, instead of landing poor creatures, like little ol' me in such peril."

The princess stomped her hoof in protest, but found she had nothing to say in Twilight's defense. He was right: she should have known better than to use a spell that powerful. That type of magic was only her's and Luna's liberty. The fact that Twilight used it when she was so angry didn't help matters.

"Am I right?" Discord taunted.

There was a sudden creak coming from the other side of the cottage, and the door opened just the slightest splint; the hint of a purple hoof visible – next to the purple curl from the un-brushed mane. The hoof pulled back a bit.

"Twi, Sugar Cube," Applejack said softly. "It's alright to come in.."

It seemed to take forever for the door to finally open, and Discord kept his cold eyes locked on it. However, even he hopped back in shock at the frazzled little mare's appearance:

Her eyes were blood shot from a night of obvious crying and restlessness, and her whole body shook with her guilt. Her mane was uncombed and tossed about, frizzing to the point that Rarity gave a dramatic gasp and a "oh darling! Your beautiful coiffure!" - sinking to the ground in a brief faint. In between her trembling teeth was a bouquet of flowers clutched tightly. She was afraid to look at any pony's eyes. Her teacher's, compassionate and concerned; her friends', full of horror and worry; Discord's cold as ice and devoid of forgiveness.

The draconequus said nothing as the shaking little unicorn slowly trotted by his side. She raised her anguished and deeply regretful, purple eyes to Discord's, but he only narrowed his and backed up in a distrusting manner. Regardless, Twilight Sparkle shakily dropped the bouquet at his feet and backed up.

A cruel smirk spread across Discord's face as he looked forward to thrusting the much deserving pony into further despair. He sat up a bit, tried to challenge his magic to thrust those stupid flowers back in her face - and it wouldn't work. "What?!" He tried again. Still nothing.

"You didn't think I'd really leave you with magic when the ponies are taking care of you, did you?" Celestia asked, slightly amused.

"How dare you!?" he snarled, "you had no right!" The draconequus thrashed in rage – only to almost start crying as the pain ripped up his broken limbs. "Augh!"

"Discord!" Celestia's shout rang out, both angered and alarmed. "Stop moving! You'll injure yourself even more!" Her words fell on deaf ears as the draconequus continued to thrash, more so out of fear though no pony realized it. He was completely defenseless against his enemies. They could do anything to him! Desperate, the princess struck out with a spell that paralyzed him from the chest down.

"Oh, thank you.." Fluttershy sighed with relief, trotting up to the group. Her mane was also slightly tangled and she had bags under her eyes, kept up all night taking care of the wounded spirit. Tomato soup splattered her front and dripped slightly off the end of her muzzle; the streaming hot bowl clenched between her teeth.

"I needed help calming him down..." The yellow pegasus trotted up to the chimera and offered the spoon to him, a hopeful look on her face.

The paralyzing spell quickly wearing off, Discord snatched the meal from her, not even bothering to contemplate if the soup was poisoned. He was far too hungry for that, and honestly, the draconequus could not see the element of compassion doing such a thing (although he could see Rainbow Dash doing it.)

Hungrily, he gulped down the warm, soothing soup, dimly realizing it was dribbling down his muzzle and Fluttershy was actually wiping his face with a napkin.

"I-is it good?" the pegasus asked softly. He didn't respond, but judging by the reception, it must have been appreciated. "I made it myself."

The bowl was dropped unceremoniously at the edge of the bed, and Discord actually looked more content now that his stomach was full. "It was...delicious." He watched as the pegasus's face lit up with happiness and she took the bowl away.

Twilight had stayed silent the whole time, body crouched low to the ground like a chastised filly, tears continuing to roll in copious volumes. She knew she had to say something, had to speak up. When she finally stood again, Discord wordlessly looked at her. Suddenly, it was hard for Twilight to get out a word.

"Is..is there a-anything I can do for you?"

He rested his chin on a lion paw, leering into those quivering purple eyes. "Why yes, you can un-cripple me. Oh, actually, I don't believe I wish to try my luck again with the killer unicorn!" he spat. Instantly, the purple mare cowered, looking ready to burst into tears.

"Now y'all wait just a minute, ya despicable varmint!" Applejack growled, stomping a hoof and protectively drawing Twilight Sparkle to her. "Twilight is tryin' ta' be nice, ya see?"

"Mhm."

"Why do ya gotta be such a jerk all the time?"

The draconequus smirked, leaning towards the livid earth pony. "Oh, must we go over the meaning of my name again, Applejack?" He grinned when the southern pony further stamped her hoof.

"I..I just thought," Twilight stammered, "just thought that maybe you could – you would-"

"That maybe I would what - forgive you?" Discord demanded with a bitter and incredulous laugh. "You think that I would actually forgive you for this? Forgiveness isn't even in my nature, let alone to a pony that tried to kill me!"

The unicorn flinched at his words, failing to hold back the sob that ripped through every pony's heart – but Discord. "I never meant it! I sweat – I didn't!"

"Enough," the entity said coldly, turning onto his side. "Visiting hours are over and the patient wishes to sleep." Each of the ponies exchanged looks, more than happy to leave (although Pinkie Pie was notably pouting), and each filed out the door; only Princess Celestia and Fluttershy remaining.

Head practically dragging across the ground, Twilight Sparkle miserably trudged to the door – only to be halted gently by her mentor's hoof. She looked up, the remains of her heart shattering at the disappointed and concerned look on her teacher's face.

"I want to speak with you for a moment."

The purple mare sent one last apologetic look to the draconequus, who narrowed a sleepy eye until she turned around. Then, he closed it again.

"Of course, princess...." She walked, practically incoherently – so incoherently that Celestia finally shook her head and gently nudged her onto her back as the unicorn smacked into a few walls on the way out.

Once they were safely outside and away from the listening ears, Twilight burst into tears, not bothering to hold anything back. There was no point – and she had broken down crying many times in front of her mentor. All she wanted was comfort, forgiveness, to be convinced she was not a monster.

Immediately, Celestia gently drew the sobbing unicorn into her with her wing, sighing over the pony's head as she lightly nuzzled her. "Twilight.."

"Princess, what do I do?" Twilight whispered hopelessly into Celestia's side, barely calming to the soft nuzzling. "I have no idea...I'm so lost.."

The alicorn gently nudged Twilight back, gazing slightly sternly into the tearful and remorseful eyes. Oh, she hated this, but she still needed to get down to business. "Twilight, just what spell did you use?"

The purple mare shut her eyes tightly, tears squeezing out from the shut eyelids.

"Twilight?" Celestia pressed.

When Twilight spoke again, she really did sound like a chastised and whimpering little filly that knew she was bound for a whipping. "Th-the...the – I had been studying from the 'Alicorn's Power' spell book, and I-"

Celestia cut her off: "The alicorn book, the one I told you not to try yet? The kind of spells that are only to be used by Luna and I, until a student can better harness their magic and tame it?" she asked tersely, and then winced when Twilight gave a louder sob and collapsed against her leg. The princess held herself back from holding her sobbing student with all her might.

"I'm sorry.." It was barely understandable in the incoherent bawls. "It was all I could think of... Discord said the elements wouldn't work...it was all we had.. I didn't mean it-! I didn't know what..to do! It was all..I..could..think of.." Now her sentence was drawing out into a long and soft wail, guilt completely consuming her.

Celestia shook her head as she laid her student over her back again. Oh, Discord...if only you could see what her guilt is doing to her. Maybe then you'd forgive her.. Quietly, giving one last look back at the dark cottage and at the limp and shaking mare over her back, Celestia quietly took off to the skies.

xxxxxxxx

Fluttershy was having trouble sleeping. Angel was snuggled into a pillow beside her, but the pegasus could tell he wasn't sleeping either. Both were probably thinking about the same thing: Discord. Fluttershy had spent the night looking after him, feeding him, cleaning his cuts (oh, that had not gone too well, but at least he didn't have magic!), and all in all, just trying to be a good nurse. She even attempted to make conversation with him, which had actually gone well for a while – until the pegasus tried to smooth his mane again; to which the draconequus drew back coldly.

Still, taking care of the spirit of disharmony surprisingly wasn't as terrifying as Fluttershy thought it'd be.

Oh.. I do hope he will be better soon. When it really came down to it though...what would happen after that? Where would he go? Back to stone? Roam free? Sentenced to..death? She shuddered hard. Maybe it was best that he stayed crippled for a little while.

Angel thumped her on the back, seeming to be able to hear her gears turning in her head. He glared at her through an eye in the darkness.

"Oh, Angel.. I just cannot sleep." The pegasus sat up a bit, pulling down the blankets. "I think I'll go check on him again." She heard her bunny heave a heavy, exasperated sigh, before begrudgingly hopping out of the bed with her. "He might need his bandages changed.." The yellow pegasus quietly fluttered out of the room, halting behind the door when she heard .... a whimper?

The chimera's form could faintly be made out through the pitch black room as he writhed and struggled in distress. It was clear he had given up his weak thresh hold now that nopony was in the room with him, letting himself whimper and hiss in blue fire agony. A nearby candle Fluttershy had lit dappled light over Discord's raw and inflamed cuts; the bandages leaking through with red......and the wet shine in his eyes.

Fluttershy felt a deep pang of sympathy as the spirit tentatively rolled over on the bed, soft breathing indicating he had once again fallen asleep. She signaled to Angel that it was safe to go in, and both pony and bunny quietly tiptoed into the room. Angel snapped open the medical kit, while Fluttershy positioned herself by the draconequus's sore feet and tail, bandage in mouth.

Discord opened one tired red eye, darting it back to the pegasus that hadn't yet noticed he was awake. He watched her hesitate several times with the bandage, drawing back and advancing, repeating the cycle..

"Would you please hurry? I'd like to go to sleep." Discord blinked as Fluttershy gave a startled shriek, stumbling back into a book shelf. She pathetically wrapped her hooves over her head for coverage as the books pelted her from above. Discord just watched with amusement.

"Interesting, I didn't think you feared me as much anymore. Well, you are the wimp of the group."

"Y-you just startled me is all," Fluttershy squeaked, brushing a few books off her face and fluttering over to the edge of the bed again. "I-I didn't think you were awake." Now knowing her patient was awake, the pegasus began to hastily, but gently unwrap the wounds and toss away the old bandages, soaking a new one with medicine. "Are you feeling..any better?"

"Oh, one hundred percent," he snapped, a tad amused by her slight cower."Having difficulty sleeping, I'm afraid.." He grimaced. "And moving."

"I can give you more pain medicine if you'd like," Fluttershy offered. "Although it won't do much for the cuts.. I could get Twilight to cast a pain removal spell when she comes over tomorrow."

“And again, I don't wish to try my luck with the killer unicorn," he said flatly.

"Oh, please don't call her that," Fluttershy softly pleaded, tying a new bandage around the draconequus. "She really and truly didn't mean it. She feels just terrible about it!"

"Good."

"She only wants to make it up to you."

"Not interested."

"She wants to show she's sorry."

"I'm good."

"Oh, please listen to me!"

"Nope."

The pegasus gave a surrendering whine, flopping her face into a cushion on the end of his bed, and staying like that. She probably would have remained that way the entire night if Discord hadn't spoken up.

It was truly a question that had been racking the draconequus's brain all day, but it was one he preferred to ask the pegasus just one on one. ".....Why are you helping me?"

Instantly, Fluttershy's head shot up as she stared at the spirit like his question was completely incomprehensible. "Well, I couldn't exactly leave you there, could I? You would have died! I mean, I know you're not the nicest...but would you truly have left one of us there if we were in that condition?"

All that met her was silence for a few minutes; the candle light dancing across the red flecks in his eyes as he pondered. “Maybe...maybe not.”

"Well, I think you would help.. you're not totally a monster. I mean, you really could be a lot worse. Most monsters eat their victims with their sharp sharp teeth!"

Uh oh, it looked like Fluttershy had possibly given the spirit an idea. He smirked, pretending to contemplate that decision, eyes sparkling with mirth. "I wonder what ponies would taste like.. Maybe I'll bake them into cupcakes."

Fluttershy cringed, taking a while to realize he was only making fun. She was still unaccustomed to his dark and twisted humor. "Well....they'd probably taste..not too good," she squeaked,and then fiddled with her hooves, desperate to change the subject now. "Do you want anything else? More blankets? Pillows? Soup?" She noticed an ear perk up at 'blankets.' "Blankets? Oh, okay.. Angel, could you run and get me a nice warm blanket please?"

The snow white bunny respectfully saluted and took off in a cloud of dust.

Fluttershy turned and walked back to the draconequus – and stepped on something soft and slightly crunchy. Raising her hoof, alarmed that she may have stepped on a bug, the pegasus discovered that it was the bouquet Twilight had dropped off earlier that day. The flowers were slightly brown and beginning to wilt from lack of water, but they still had life in them. She gently picked them up with her mouth and dropped them in the confused spirit's talon.

"What are you giving me these for?" he asked coolly.

"Twilight brought them over earlier, remember?"

"Of course," Discord growled, and then knocked the wilting flowers off the bed. "I don't want them."

Fluttershy picked them up again, placing them gently on his chest. "It will be a waste to just leave them on the floor. Just think about it..."

The spirit didn't respond, and by now Fluttershy's eye lids were getting heavy as sleep finally began to gradually take over her. The pegasus curled up on the mat beside his bed, out before her head even touched the floor.

Angel hurried back, throwing the blanket over Discord. the blanket made a parachute motion as it inflated in the air and gently fell over the bed. The bunny then hopped up onto the bed and stomped on the edges of the mattress to tuck the sheets in. That done, he too fell back against the end of the bed and almost immediately drifted to sleep.

Discord grunted as he wriggled up under the covers a bit, gently easing himself to turn on his side, and his arm crumpled something as he did. Looking down, the draconequus picked up the bouquet of wilted flowers. He contemplated what to do, content with the idea of either crushing them, throwing them, or ripping them up into confetti. Right as his talon curled around the petals to destroy them all, he stopped, recalling what Fluttershy had said. Pulling back, he looked at the dying flowers, nonchalantly twirling a petal between his fingers. Then, he lightly tossed the bouquet onto a nearby table, and snuffed out the candle.

xxxxxxxx

(Low "Cupcakes" reference is low. XD Discord likes soup. I don't know why I find that so amusing.

Anyhoo, I enjoyed writing the brief interactions with Discord and Celestia. XD They're hilarious talking to each other in the show, and I imagine they'd fight like an old married couple for some reason.

And yes, I decided to add some Pinkie and Discord wayward endearing awkwardness for you Discopie-iers. I for one can't see a pairing, just best friends since they're a lot alike. They're only friends in this story, as are Fluttershy and Discord eventually. There is one pairing though...~

And guilty Twilight makes you want to cry, does it not? Will Discord ever forgive her? Probably not as he is Discord, but stay tuned to find out how this endearing train wreck ends!
Why do I sound like a Pokemon announcer...)