• Published 9th Oct 2012
  • 1,596 Views, 46 Comments

The Blood Ravens Last Flight - Nobodyslament



The Blood Raven Crucius Marx gets stranded on Equestria.

  • ...
9
 46
 1,596

Chapter 8

I finished explaining the way radio’s work to Twilight in about two hours. It was a dry, boring conversation, but she was a fast learner. I taught her just about everything until we got to securing frequencies. I didn’t want to get on the subject of bugging people radios. Twilight held up my battery. “So Marx, just making sure, I can charge this with my magic, right?”

I cupped my head in my hands, I was hoping she would know how. “I believe so, yes. Focus the energies at the base of the battery, and wait until it resists your ‘magic’.” If she could hear the apostrophes I dropped around magic, she ignored it. The battery glowed for a short time before Twilight moved it back to the table. I snatched it up and plugged it into my radio. “Praise be the Imperium. It works.”

Twilight’s ears drooped. “Wait, what?”

I smiled and pet my radio. “Simple, you got the radio working Twilight. You are quiet the perso-I mean, pony, aren’t you.” Twilight simply stood herself up and bowed, as if she just gave a great performance on stage. “Don’t let it go to your head. According to the read-out you only charged it to about seventy percent. Or you charged it enough for about two years, whichever you prefer.”

She still held herself high. “Oh, I’m sorry, you can do it next time.” Her mouth moved to a cocky smile that never left her face. I simply smirked back at her.

I turned around and started to power up the speakers. “-out one reporting on all frequencies. I am here to retrieve Blood Raven Champion Crucius Marx from unknown areas, anyone with relevant information please respond. Message repeat. This is scout one reportin-” I flipped down the speakers.

The static changed and I turned up the speakers. “Scout one responding. By the Emperor, m’lord, is it really you?”

I tired of formalities already. “Yes, it’s me, hello. I must ask, why were you sent to retrieve me?”

There was a moment of silence. “The orcs are very green this year.”

I hated the questions, this one was the one to make sure we weren’t captured. “Yes, but the baddest of moons can still help us.” It was an all clear, I was simply curious response.

The static resumed. “Yes m’lord, anyway’s. We are here to retrieve you from possible warp forces, and warp taint.”

I sighed and shook my head. “I require no rescue. Who sent for my rescue?”

My simple Q and A seemed to be odd for the scout. “Um, well m’lord. After you and Vurces left, the higher Blood Ravens sent for all Champions to return. When you two didn’t answer the summons, I was sent to retrieve or rescue.”

More sighing on my part, they were going to have a training session. That was the only thing they called me and the other champions together for. “Well, I wish to remain here, at least for a while. I assume that you know I was attached to a Chaos ship and sent here.” Two bursts of static came out of the speakers, an affirmative. “Then, am I right in assuming that my brothers overreacted and have sent a full contingent of Space marines my way.” Another two bursts of static. “Alright then, return to your post and send word to my brothers I await their arrival. Have them land in the nearest clearing off my own ship. Also, mention I said it was a code alpha-alpha-omega.”

“This is scout one, did you just say, alpha-alpha-omega?”

“Yes, yes I did. Now relay the message, I have things to attend to.” I shut off the radio and turned around. I looked around my house and looked down. This was a right bastard of a situation. I probably had around a month before they arrived. That was bad, if only because I already knew my plan. Code alpha-alpha-omega was a code for an adopted world. It was rare, but it happened. A space marine tired of traveling and adopted a world to be permanently stationed in. I had just either saved this planet, or destroyed it. If the Blood Ravens disagreed I would challenge their decision. That would mean I would face twenty marines in an arena of my choice, rules would be chosen on the spot. Before the Blood Ravens arrived, I had to make an arena, and set up the rules I would need to stand firm on. I sat on the nearest chair and started a list.

The sun had almost finished setting when Scootaloo walked in. She was dead on her feet and fell down as soon as the door closed. I couldn’t remove my grin as I scooped her up. “Well little one, have a fun day?”

Scootaloo squirmed in my hand for a minute and settled down. “Yep, me and the crusaders all learned how to dance at miss Rarity’s, it was kinda fun, but then we helped her mine gems and got into a fight with some diamond dogs. Long story short, we can’t help Ms.Rarity hunt for gems anymore.

I laughed. “Really know, why don’t I take you out crusading tomorrow. I need to scout some land, and then build some stuff. Sound interesting enough for you three to join me?”

Scootaloo woke up instantly. “Really, we could help you? Yesyesyes.”

I smiled. “OK then get some sleep, I’ve got some questions for Twilight.” Scootaloo obediently turned around and went to her room. In turn, I got up, and walked out of the house. As I walked I thought over my rules. One, no ponies be harmed. An obvious one, but a needed one. Two, no matter the outcome, they leave this planet alone, no fights, no worries, just another nameless planet far from the imperium. Third, I don’t have to kill a marine to remove him from the competition. My brothers numbers were low enough, I could do without killing them.

By the time I reached the library I hadn’t thought of many other rules, maybe something about having an apothecary on site so no one would lose the progenitor gland. I bumped into the doorway to the library. I complained to myself as I opened the door.

I walked in on Twilight teaching Big Mac. It was rather amusing to watch. The blush from our earlier conversation was easily explained now. She liked him, and he her. The problem was neither would admit it. I sat there for a moment, watching in amusement, before stepping in. Twilight, Big Mac, how goes the learning?”

Twilight looked up as Big Mac buried his head in the books. Twilight looked at him and tried to take a few steps back. “Hello Marx, I was just teaching Big Mac here crop rotations. I think he’s learning it all rather well.”

Big Mac simply buried his head further in the book. I looked over both of them. “Well Twilight, to be honest I came here to ask a favor. I’m... let’s call it ‘entertaining, some friends of mine, and need a large plot of land to do so. Is there, perhaps, an abandoned field neaerby I could make some ‘adjustments’ to?”


The veiled meaning soared over Twilight’s head, but not quite over Big Mac’s. “Now waht d’ya mean ‘adjustments’?”

I sighed as Twilight looked at him, then back to me. I looked at Big Mac and fitted him with my best stare of disappointment. “Well, I mean that I will have to build some temporary structures to ‘accommodate’, my friends.”

Big Mac stood up and stretched. “OK then, what did y’all mean by ‘entertain’?”

I blasphemed under my breath, this was the most observant pony here. “Well, they might not be my friends after I say I plan on staying here, so I need to prepare. That involves bringing a field up to spec for a challenge.”

At this Big Mac just shrugged. “Ah don’t rightly know what yah mean by ‘challenge’, but I get the gist. Y’all are havin’ a family reunion on some mighty bad terms. Ah think that you should use the old abandoned apple orchard. It’s only ‘bout an hour from yah ship.”

For an answer I simply looked at Twilight expectantly. She brought her hoof to her head and shook it back and forth. “Big Mac is technically the legal owner, so with his permission, there’s your field.” I nodded at them.

Big Mac trotted over to me and stuck out his hoof. “Y’all helped out AppleBloom an’ her gang, so I feel this reays yah for that.”

I took his hoof, shaking it, as is custom. How they do it with other ponies is beyond me. “Very well then. I accept your offer with goodwill and gratitude.”

Big Mac looked at me with an air of confusion, but some happiness nonetheless. “Ah don’t pretend tah understand half the stuff yah spout, but thank you kindly.”

Twilight seemed to regain the ability to speak. “Wait, that’s it. You have to go fill out the forms at the mayor’s office, then fill out the building forms, then you can start actually building.” Twilight started pacing back and forth across the room, removing various legal books as she did. “After all, we don’t want either of you to get legal back-blast. Especially since Big Mac need some help as it is.”

Big Mac wasn’t sure whether to be complemented or insulted. He went with the middle ground of embarrassed. Twilight on the other hand, kept muttering until the words caught up to her. She defaulted to embarrassed as well. I, on the other hand, had discovered a wonderful spectator sport. “Well, I thank you for all your time you two, but I must attend to some planning.” With a wave of my hand I left. I’m fairly certain they waved back, but they were still in the process of overcoming their blushes, and were rather distracted. I chuckled as I left. Truly, this world was innocent.