• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 49,412 Views, 7,011 Comments

Rebirth of the Damned - Borsuq



Months after his death, Arthas Menethil, long known as the Lich King, is given another chance. In a world populated by talking ponies, of all places.

  • ...
198
 7,011
 49,412

PreviousChapters Next
163. The Power of the Sun

“It is finished,” Clover’s echo announced as she returned; the bright glow that surrounded the remains of Salvation (which were held by her magic) had dispersed. “I hath successfully separated the Boulder Duke’s essence from the shield’s shards. The elemental’s spirit hath at last returned to the Undercave, and the shards are finally safe for thou to carry,” she added, levitating the fragments over to Guard, who nodded and placed them safely into his saddlebags.

Good, the last thing we needed was that elemental popping up again,” Arthas thought, satisfied. Although his paladins had just demonstrated that they could defeat such an opponent, he was worried about time; it was already past noon. They still had some ground to cover before they would reach the memorial, and Arthas was still planning on seeking Commander Hurricane’s echo afterwards. “We should get going if we want to return to our campsite at nightfall. Although I guess this isn’t up to me,” he added in an afterthought, glancing at Storm.

Before the pegasus paladin could as much as begin giving orders, though, Tucker spoke up. “So what you’re saying is,” he said, looking at Clover, “that as soon as the Boulder Duke reforms in that Undercave place, every earth elemental will hear how Storm got his sword stuck?”

Arthas stifled a snort of amusement and turned his gaze upwards, worried that seeing Storm’s expression would cause him to chuckle. Although he had technically been the one to start those quips, it was time to return to seriousness.

“Right,” he heard Storm say, his voice exasperated, “finally being home after two thousand years of being split into four earth elementals that wandered aimlessly around this Light-forsaken island, the first thing Boulder Duke will talk about will certainly be the fact that I got my sword stuck in its neck.”

“Well, I would talk about it if it happened to me,” Tucker countered.

“Yeah, but you’re not-” Storm began, only to stop himself, close his eyes and sigh, then rub them with his wings. “Nevermind. Is everypony capable of continuing?” he asked instead, looking around at the others. “We should get going if we want to reach the memorial, search for Commander Hurricane’s echo and make it back to our camp at a reasonable hour.”

“All good,” Guard replied stoically, quickly followed Serenity nodding.

Storm spared a moment to glance at Tucker then at Clover and Arthas before saying: “Alright then, let’s get moving. Remember to keep watch of our surroundings,” he added as they began moving to the north-east, in the direction of the monument. “We might have dealt with the earth elementals, but there will probably still be echoes in the area.”

Arthas nodded with satisfaction, pleased that he had remembered that. Assured that Storm had things under control, he allowed himself to relax and focus on other matters. He slowed his pace, intending to fall back alongside Clover so that he could ask her about the metal used in the creation of Salvation, but he was surprised to find that Serenity had beaten him to it.

“I’ve been wondering,” the crystal pony had began; Arthas noted that she was still a little overwhelmed when talking with the echo, “that earth elemental, he was almost pony like, and it looked like an earth pony. And that water elemental you had summoned resembled a sea pony a lot. So would an air elemental resemble a pegasus?”

Arthas perked his ears in their direction, intrigued by her question.

“I hath not seen any air elemental, nor were there any records of them being met by anypony,” Clover started to answer. “At least, by my- the real me’s time.”

“I’ve been told that’s still the case in today’s era,” Arthas chimed in, recalling Princess Celestia mentioning this.

“But that seems to be a reasonable assumption,” Clover continued, giving him a nod in acknowledgment. “However, please bear in mind that elementals come in many different shapes; during this war we had fought with various earth elementals. And the Elemental Lords and their direct offspring, well…”

“Offspring?” Guard cut in, taking the opportunity presented when Clover had trailed off. Storm and Tucker - “Of course Tucker,” Arthas thought - also looked back in interest. “You mean those creatures can reproduce?”

“They can,” Arthas replied before Clover could be distracted from her train of thoughts. Forestalling the next question, he added, “As to ‘how’, I defer you to Tucker’s imagination.” Turning to the echo, he asked, “What about the Elemental Lords, Clover?”

“And what are those?” Storm spoke up.

“They are the rulers of the Elemental Kingdoms, the four most powerful elementals of Equestria,” Clover replied. “They and their offspring - or most of them at least - are actually shaped like draconequi.”

“Draconequi?” Storm asked, wide-eyed. “You mean like Discord?”

“Yes, according to how thou describe him. In fact, before ye told me last night about Discord, I theorized that the legends about the draconequi must refer to the Elemental Lords instead of beings of flesh. Although considering the theory proposed by Star Swirl the Bearded after his journey to the minotaurs - that ponies might in fact be descendants of those lesser, pony-shaped elementals - this Discord might be their descendant as well. There haven’t been sightings of any other draconequus beside him?” she asked, looking from Serenity to Arthas.

“None that I’m aware of,” Serenity replied, voicing Arthas’ thoughts, and the others shook their heads. “Did Star Swirl really think we might be descendants of the elementals?”

Would explain a few things,” Arthas commented in his thoughts. “Especially how pegasi can control the weather.

“Only theorized,” Clover said, shrugging.

Serenity frowned thoughtfully, then spoke again. “How would fire elementals integrate into this theory? I mean, are there even pony-shaped fire elementals? It’s not like there is a tribe of ponies with fiery magics that could be their descendants.”

“That is true. Regarding the fire elementals themselves, actually…”


Fluttershy flew through the White Tail Woods, easily maneuvering between the trees. She wasn’t nearly as fast or agile as Rainbow Dash, of course, but just as Provato had said, this new spell he had taught her, the Mark of the Wild, allowed her to draw upon Nature to empower her body, increasing her swiftness, agility and strength, among other things. She was now racing back to him, having been asked to test what her body was capable of by flying to the forest’s border and back.

A smile crept on her face; although she still preferred moving (whether by flying or running, with the latter being her preference) at her normal, casual speed, a part of her now could understand why Rainbow Dash liked to race so much. Maybe it was in part because of the wilderness’ magic surging within her, but she found the sensation of racing through the forest quite thrilling.

I suppose a little thrill from time to time isn’t so bad…” she mused, closing her eyes as she broke into the clearing where Provato had been awaiting her and rolling in the air around her axis… only to stop abruptly upon opening her eyes and realizing that she was about to collide into the timberwolf demigod.

“Oh, I’m sorry…” she began after barely managing to come to the halt. Landing before Provato, she continued, embarrassed, “I, um, I sorta lost myself in the… um…”

She trailed off as the Wild God chuckled warmly. “In the moment? You certainly must have; you seem to have forgotten that you were supposed to fly into me so that you could also see how much stronger and sturdier you body is when drawing upon the power of wilderness.”

“Oh!” Fluttershy exclaimed, having only now remembered that part of her task. Although it hadn’t been something that she wanted to do, she would’ve still obeyed Provato’s command had she not forgotten about it. “Oh, you’re right, I’m sorry…”

“It’s alright,” Provato interrupted her kindly, raising a paw to forestall any further apologies. “I think it’s safe to assume you have seen for yourself what your body can be capable of with nature’s strength within it.” He rose to his paws and slowly began to walk further into the clearing; Fluttershy hastily followed him. “I believe there is a way for you to, let’s say, gain even greater physical strength, but we’ll leave that part of your training for later.”

Fluttershy nodded in acceptance, not without some relief. She hadn’t decided to learn the Druidic ways from Provato because she wanted to make herself stronger, but to be able to help others. While being physically stronger could certainly help with that, if she would ever have to protect somepony from the likes of King Sombra for example, she much more preferred to learn ways to heal rather than fight.

“When would that be?” she asked, a little cautious.

“After we rescue the first Wild God from the Darkness that befell Everfree Forest and I convince her to aid in your training,” Provato replied as he reached the middle of the clearing and sat down to address her. His words surprised her, which the demigod must have noticed as he smirked warmly and continued: “The other Wild Gods have lots of things they can teach you that I can’t. Although in the past they have rarely interacted with ponies, I believe that they will see wisdom with sharing our secrets with your kind; after all, I wouldn’t be here speaking with you if it weren’t for you and your friend, and we wouldn’t be working on freeing the others.”

Fluttershy nodded, smiling happily. She found it hard to believe that there could be something about the nature and wilderness that Provato couldn’t teach her, but of course she trusted his assessment and was looking forward to learning even more. And regardless of that, she would still want to help the other Wild Gods, to free them from this Darkness and heal the entire Everfree Forest from the taint that had overtaken it.

“I’ve managed to locate the lair of a Wild God that I think will be the easiest to free,” Provato continued, making her eyes light up. “Before we try, though, I would like to teach you some more… offensive abilities. I plan to subdue her myself if it comes to a fight,” he quickly added; apparently, some of the worry she had felt must have reflected on her face, “and your role will be primarily to help me heal her, but it would be best if you were capable of fighting back if it came to it.”

“I… I suppose,” Fluttershy said quietly in reply, really hoping it wouldn’t come to it.

Provato seemed amused by her hesitation. He smiled briefly before he resumed speaking. “As you know, everything in nature exists in balance with each other. Some animals eat plants, others eat animals, and in death their bodies provide nutrients for plants to grow.”

A little confused, Fluttershy nodded; of course she knew that, but where was Provato going with this?

“Even the elements that carve form into the universe are fluid forces of nature,” the timberwolf demigod continued, looking up into the sky. Following his gaze Fluttershy realized that he was pointing at the sun. “They provide energy for plants to grow and warm us. The Wild Gods that dwell within this forest had been named Ancient Guardians because we took it upon ourselves to help uphold this balance; unlike all the Wild Gods that live down south and were content with just looking after their own, until they became worshipped by the zebras,” he added, rolling his glowing amber eyes a little before clearing his throat and resuming, “This was when my mother attacked the ponies two thousand years ago when they carved too deep into her forest; we understand the need for ponies and other creatures like you for wood, but taking too much from the forest caused chaos for everything that lives in it. When that happens, we fight, with fangs and claws, by poisonous bites or stings or by urging nature to fight back. But tell me,” Provato added before Fluttershy’s mind could dwell on the thought of fighting anypony (especially ‘with fangs and claws’), “how should one fight against forces that are not of this world, whose very presence on Equestria threatens the balance? Had this Darkness that corrupted us been given form, for instance?”

“Um…” Fluttershy hesitated, perplexed. That was really a question somepony like Arthas or Twilight could answer, but not her. “C-couldn’t we just talk to it, if it was given form? Ask it nicely to leave?”

Provato chuckled warmly. “I don’t think that would work on the Darkness any better than it would have worked on King Sombra or Nightmare Moon. It is a part of nature to fight,” he added, not unkindly, “for survival, to defend your young or pack. You will learn that sooner or later following this path, dear Fluttershy.”

The shy pegasus nodded again. She of course knew that, but it was one thing to know and another to actually think about fighting. “Um… then, couldn’t we still fight with, um, fangs and claws? Or, hooves I suppose,” she meekly joked.

“Well, it is my preferred method to be honest,” Provato confessed. “But no, there is a better method to combat the forces from outside our world; by calling on the forces of nature not of this world. Look,” he told confused Fluttershy, raising on his paws again and turning a little.

Quickly glancing in the direction where Provato was now looking, Fluttershy realized that now in front of him, several yards away, was a small boulder. Focusing back on the demigod, she saw him part his jaw, and to her amazement almost immediately golden energy began to form in his open muzzle. It sort of resembled the Holy Light, but not quite, the color was more akin to Provato’s eyes. It was almost like… like…

Like the sun,” she realized.

Before she could digest this thought, Provato had cast the orb of energy forward, sending it right at the boulder. Upon collision, it blasted it apart with a resounding crack!

“By leveraging the sacred powers of the sun, the moon and the stars,” Provato resumed, turning again to her, “we’re able to channel their power to aid in the fight against imbalance that threatens the natural order of all things.”

“You… you mean you can use the power of the sun and the moon?” Fluttershy repeated, shocked. “Like the Princesses?”

“Not quite,” Provato replied, frowning. “The two of them are bonded with those celestial bodies, they aren’t exactly using their powers but rather are infused with it. What I just did - and plan to teach you now - is far inferior to what they are capable of. I’m not even that proficient with this particular trick,” he added, smiling again, this time a bit sheepishly. “I’ve learned it from the Ursas and their demigod, but was never able to channel as much power as they were able to.”

Fluttershy’s eyes went wide at the name of the mentioned creatures. “Y-you mean the Ursas are capable of blasting things apart just like that?!” she exclaimed, terrified at the thought of such huge creatures wielding such powers to boot.

Were,” Provato corrected her. “They had lost their ability to call upon the sun and moon when the Darkness corrupted them. Also, they used to be smaller,” he added. “For some reason, the Darkness, instead of making them smaller like myself, had caused them to grow to such ridiculous size… perhaps it is because of their natural affinity to astral magic, maybe the Darkness had to exert greater influence on them. The Ursa demigod, Polaris, the Lady of the Stars, was actually smaller in size than what you today refer to as ‘Ursa Minor’.”

“Oh, I see…” Fluttershy murmured, intrigued. “But wait, didn’t you tell the Princesses that the demigod responsible for moving the sun and moon had disappeared?”

“Polaris wasn’t that demigod. She and her progeny were blessed with their powers by him, though they aren’t bonded to the sun and moon like he was, or how your Princesses are. And they are not nearly as powerful as them, I might add.”

“Oh,” she exclaimed hearing the explanation. “I see…” A question formed in her mind, born out of curiosity, but she hesitated, unsure if she should ask something like that.

However, it was no use trying to hide anything from the timberwolf demigod. To Provato, she might as well be an open book. “Something on your mind, dear Fluttershy?” he asked, a note of amusement in his voice.

His kind and gentle voice gave her the strength to voice her curiosity: “Um… how powerful are the Princesses, exactly?”

Provato hummed to himself before answering. He sat down and looked up in the sky, which was now directly above them; the noon had come.

“It’s difficult to say, especially since I met them so briefly…” he slowly said. “But if I were to make a guess…”


“Hooooly FUCK!” Tucker exclaimed, his voice echoing.

A part of Arthas wanted to frown at the paladin, but every other part was preoccupied with staring at the humongous crater left in the place of where over eight hundred years ago a mountain stood.

At least now I can be certain that if I were to somehow become the Lich King again Celestia would definitely deal with me,” he thought, simply in awe. “To think I considered that Equestria had no chance against me… I just hope that if it came to this, there wouldn’t be anypony alive within…” he paused in his thoughts as he tried to measure the crater’s length; “a five mile radius of me?

Clover’s voice pulled him from his musing. “This Princess Celestia is simply amazing,” she said, admiring the crater and looking up, probably recalling the mountain that she had known to be in its place.

“That she is,” Guard agreed. “It’s no wonder why there was nothing left of Bane.”

“I am so never going to hit on her again,” Tucker said, shaking his head in disbelief. “I mean-”

“Wait, what?” Serenity turned to him, frowning. “When did you ‘hit’ on Princess Celestia of all ponies?”

“It was literally the first thing he did after he was released from that crystal,” Arthas replied for the unicorn.

Serenity deadpanned, first at him, then at Tucker. “Of course it was,” she said, her voice seething with annoyance.

“Aww, are you jealous?” Tucker turned to her, smirking. “Don’t worry babe, I-”

“Serenity!” Arthas called her name as he sensed her channeling the Holy Light (and noticed Tucker backing away from her); Storm did too at the same time. Turning to the crystal pony Arthas could see faint glow around her head, most likely meaning that her eyes had glowed with the Light; Storm, who stood on the other side of Tucker from her, didn’t have to rely on his deeper sense to notice what could happen. Satisfied, Arthas let him deal with the issue. “The edge of a huge hole in the ground in the middle of the island haunted by wartime echoes isn’t the place for this sort of thing,” the pegasus added, more calmly but firmly as Serenity took a step away, the holy magic dissipating.

“I know... sir,” Serenity corrected herself.

“You were totally jealous,” Tucker told her, his smirk returning to his muzzle.

“Stop provoking her,” Storm told him less politely, frowning at the unicorn. Clearing his throat, he raised his voice. “Enough… admiring Princess Celestia’s, um, craftwork. The memorial is right over there, let us go pay our respects,” he said, pointing at the small monument further up the edge of the crater.

As they trotted over to the memorial, Arthas kept glancing at the crater. Celestia’s power just kept exceeding his expectations. “Is her power on par with that of the Dragon Aspects?” he wondered, not knowing of any other beings capable of destruction on such scale.

His mind drifted as memories that were not his own resurfaced, that of an orcish tale of a war with the ogres and an ogre capital who had been annihilated by the fury of the elements; the crater left by Celestia was comparable (albeit it was smaller) to the one in the story (vague memories of some draenei he had raised told Arthas that upon their arrival on Draenor the draenei had picked the location for their capital Shattrath, giving him a more or less good grasp on its size). Ner’zhul had been an elder by the time the Horde was born; for him to know of such event by only a tale must mean that it was indeed an old one. And yet, despite the orcs relying almost solely on oral lore, the story survived, a testament to how horrific such an event must have been. And here on Equestria a similar destruction (fortunately wrought upon a desolate island instead of a city) had been caused by a single pony Princess, not by the elements or however many shamans it must have taken to urge the spirits to such actions.

If she has so much power, I cannot imagine how she can restrain herself from using it,” he mused, shaking his head as they reached the memorial. “One thing for sure, I am bowing lower to her from now on.

The monument, placed on Celestia’s orders after the destruction of the original during her battle with Bane, consisted of two huge plates that depicted two armies, ponies on one and griffons on the other, both sides ready for battle. The tablet at the bottom read:

In memory of all the souls, both pony and griffon, who lost their life on this island, in what is known as the bloodiest battle of the only war our world has ever known. May such a tragedy never take place again.

“It’s a little different from the original one,” Serenity commented after everypony read it. “The first one had supposedly started by stating how this was a place of Equestria’s great victory before honoring the fallen.”

“I think I prefer this one, then,” Clover replied, the echo’s gaze on the depictions of two armies. “Tis a memorial to the fallen from both sides of this terrible conflict. It shouldn’t matter which side won here for that. There are other means for recording victory.”

“Well, you can’t really blame ponies from your time for mentioning that they won this battle,” Tucker pointed out, frowning a little at the echo. “Considering that the griffons attacked first and until now all the fighting took place in Equestria. This battle was the turning point, right?” he asked, looking at Serenity, who nodded (albeit reluctantly, clearly still upset at the unicorn). “After that Equestria-”

“This wasn’t the turning point.”

Everypony looked at Clover with confusion as she interrupted Tucker. The echo was still staring at the monument, but her gaze grew distant, as if watching something none of them could see.

When after a few silent seconds Clover hadn’t elaborated, Arthas took it as sign that she didn’t want to talk about this subject further at this moment. He closed his eyes and sighed heavily. “You are both right in my opinion,” he said, opening his eyes to look at Tucker, “but personally I agree with Clover, as I am sure Equestria’s victory had been celebrated and their soldiers honored by your ancestors enough within Equestria. This place honors the fallen,” he continued, pointing at the memorial. “Which is what we came here to do. We’ll take a minute of silence to honor those that gave their lives for their country, because for whatever reason they fought,” Arthas added as his eyes briefly darted to the griffon side of the monument, “especially at the beginning of the war, nopony, or rather no one can deny their bravery and valor they displayed while making the ultimate sacrifice.”

All four paladins immediately nodded in agreement, then turned to the memorial, all falling silent. Arthas briefly wondered what each of them was thinking before deciding that he didn’t need to know that. He knew them well enough to know that they wouldn’t be waiting impatiently for the minute to end; all of them, even Tucker, would contemplate the memorial in their own way. Whether they would do so by praying the souls of the departed found peace or wondering if they would someday have to lay down their life as well, they would all benefit from this moment.

As he himself gazed at the memorial, he found his thoughts drifting away to different soldiers. Soldiers who died on the land distant from their homes, too, all because of him. “Except their fate had been much worse,” Arthas thought, grief and guilt swelling in his heart. “Falric, Marwyn… the entire 1st Legion… all those good men had been damned because of me. Are any of them even remembered for what they went through? At least Thassarian had seemed to find his place among the Alliance… May the Light have mercy on their souls, for so few have on their memory.

By the time he finished uttering a similar prayer for the ponies and griffons this memorial had been erected for, the minute of silence had passed. Everypony rose to their hooves and looked around, some slightly uncomfortable as if unsure if they were allowed to speak quite yet or what was the proper way to break the silence.

Rising, Arthas caught the eyes of Storm. The pegasus paladin nodded to him, letting him take charge for the moment. Nodding in return in acknowledgement, Arthas turned to Clover.

“Now then, Clover the Clever,” he began, “how about we see if we can aid Commander Hurricane and free his mind from this spell?”


Concentrate…” Fluttershy thought, her eyes closed and forehooves before her chest. “Focus…

She had grown used to drawing on nature’s power, but although Provato had assured her that drawing on the power of the sun wasn’t much different, Fluttershy found herself struggling.

“Stop,” the voice of the timberwolf demigod sounded from somewhere nearby. Fluttershy wondered how he knew she was still trying; there certainly wasn’t an orb of swirling golden energy forming between her forehooves. Regardless, though, she stopped trying to draw on the power of the sun, and let her forelegs fall down to her sides. “Calm your mind,” Provato further instructed her. “Take a deep breath, then exhale. Now, I want you to spread your wings, Fluttershy, as far as you can.”

A little confused, Fluttershy did as he asked. After she had calmed, she spread her wings as far as she was able to.

“Can you feel the warm rays of the sun touching your feathers?” Provato asked. “Can you feel them upon your coat? Focus on that. Like a plant who must absorb those rays to conduct photosynthesis, you must also draw on them with your whole body.”

Fluttershy’s ears perked; she hadn’t thought of it that way. “Alright, focus on the warmth…” she thought. She could feel it upon her feathers and coat, upon her whole body. The sun was basking everything with its energy, including her. All she had to do was channel it. “Concentrate on this feeling, the feeling of the sun’s warmth…” Fluttershy intoned, once again raising her forehooves to her chest, “... and channel it through your forehooves.

It was indeed like drawing power from the wilderness, but instead of reaching to the nature surrounding her, she focused on the warmth spreading across her body, and through it she imagined herself reaching through the rays all the way to the sun. Fluttershy could feel the rays travelling through her body to her forehooves, and when she opened her eyes, she saw to her amazement a swirling orb of energy between them.

“Now, cast it in front of you,” Provato instructed.

Fluttershy obeyed without much thought, too overwhelmed that she had actually did it. She hadn’t even looked up from her forehooves as she threw the orb, sending it flying… right into Provato. Before she could even gasp, though, the orb hit him square in his leaf covered wooden chest without as much as phasing him.

“Well done, Fluttershy,” the timberwolf demigod said, smiling at her and padding over to her. “Don’t worry, you haven’t hurt me,” he quickly added, no doubt knowing what she would say next. “It would take you a longer practice to manage to wound me this way.”

“Oh, thank goodness,” Fluttershy sighed with relief.

A warm chuckle escaped Provato. “You did very well for your first time, Fluttershy. We’ll practice some more for the next hour so you can get used to using sun’s magic, after that you can rest until nightfall.”

“Nightfall?” Fluttershy asked, confused.

“We will practice then calling upon the power of the moon and the stars,” Provato told her. “It is possible to draw on their powers, as well as the sun’s, all the time, but for somebody who is only learning how to do that it will be easiest during the time you can see them in the sky. You will notice the difference when calling upon the sun’s magic at night, but only at first.”

Though she of course trusted his wisdom, Fluttershy couldn’t help but think how impossible it seem to channel the sun’s power before Provato had told her about concentrating on the feeling of sun’s warmth. How could she do it when there was no sun? “A-are you sure?” Fluttershy asked, stammering a little. “I mean, how can I draw upon the sun’s power if I won’t feel it on my coat?”

Provato smiled down on her. “The sun is always there, little one, whether we see it or not. It basks this world in its rays, providing us with warmth and life. You felt it when you drew upon its power, did you not? And think about how far away the sun is from Equestria; when it’s on the other side of Equestria, the distance is only insignificantly longer. Practice channeling its energies now, Fluttershy, under the noon sky,” he told her, stepping away to give her more space, “and you will be able to find the sun even during midnight.”

PreviousChapters Next