• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 6,142 Views, 258 Comments

The Generation That Even Time Has Forgotten - FlanChan



When Discord sends Twilight to a new world, the magic of friendship will have to be found once again.

  • ...
6
 258
 6,142

Chapter 1

The Generation That Even Time Has Forgotten
Chapter 1

"Always have a messy mane when you get up, huh, Twilight?” Spike smiled as he passed by with a large stack of books in his claws.

Twilight Sparkle pulled herself out from under her covers and giggled.

“You’re up early, Spike. Usually I have to wake you. Any reason?” she asked, walking over to her vanity mirror and beginning to tame her mane with a hairbrush enveloped in her magic.

“I just wanted to finish shelving these books early so I’d have a bit of time to rest before you start studying Starswirl the Bearded again.” Spike shuddered. Just remembering the number of books he had to clean up last time she read up on her favorite unicorn scholar made his claws ache all over again. He instinctively started to rub his hands along his arms to soothe the nonexistent pain.

“Well, no need for that,” Twilight laughed. “Today I’m going to take a break from my studies. I want to go out and get to know the other ponies of Ponyville a bit better.”

Twilight set down her brush and straightened her bed sheets and pillows. Her magic made the task take only a few moments, giving her time to scrutinize the sheets to be sure they weren't wrinkled. When she was positive her bed looked its best, she turned only to look with dismay at a few pillows that were still scattered around the room. She hurriedly positioned them back on the bed so Spike wouldn't notice. Unfortunately for her, he did notice. He chuckled quietly to himself, mentally filing the occurrence away as part of living with a bookworm.

"So essentially, you have the day off," she continued. "I mean, so long as I don't think of something else for you to do."

Spike sighed with relief while Twilight trotted downstairs, only to yell in surprise as his stack of books swayed and collapsed, burying him in the volumes.

The purple unicorn hummed merrily while levitating a pile of lists she had created the night before to a table. "Just because I'm going to meet ponies doesn't mean I can't work, right?" she reasoned to herself while packing the scrolls into a bag. She paused suddenly when a scroll wouldn't fit in properly. Looking down to see what the holdup was, she realized that the bag was already bursting at the seams from the large quantity of paper and quills.

"Okay, maybe I shouldn't try and work while I make friends. It might distract me." She released the bag from her magic so it would gently plop down onto the table, then quickly scribbled a note for Spike to ensure that he completed the tasks on the scrolls in her place. He wouldn't mind, right? After reading it over and making sure it was to her liking, Twilight tucked it neatly by the stacks of paper and walked out the door.

“Wow, what a gorgeous day!” Twilight gasped while trotting down the cobblestone street towards the town square. “I wonder what everypony is doing to enjoy it?” As she walked a bit farther she saw everypony hard at work as usual, but they didn't let that get in the way of enjoying their day. She smiled in contentment. Rose was watering her flowers, Applejack was selling apples, a few ponies were admiring Daisy's new outfit from Rarity...

“That’s right!” Twilight cried, her eyes shrinking to the size of pins. “Rarity asked me to hurry and come by the Boutique early this morning!” She started running frantically, panicking about the importance of her attendance. Other ponies jumped out of the way in surprise, and even thought she felt bad for shoving her friends aside, Twilight kept running. Before she knew it, she was on her friend’s doorstep. She quickly threw the door open.

“Rarity!” she yelled, sweating and trying to catch her breath.

Rarity seemed startled at her friend’s hectic behavior and rushed to her side.

“Twilight, dear! Are you alright?” she asked concernedly.

“You said you needed me! And I was worried that I was going to be late, and that I was needed for something important, and that I—” she paused to gasp for air.

Rarity sighed with relief and her normal composure returned.

“Oh, darling, it was nothing too drastic. I just needed you to go ask Rainbow Dash for a tuft of cloud for an order I'm trying to fill. In fact, I’ve been taking a bit longer than I predicted sewing this dress, so I don’t have to attach it yet, but I do still need you to get it.” She paused and inspected Twilight a little more. “I’m sorry I put you through all of that stress.”

Twilight finally got her breath back and her adrenaline stopped pumping.

“Oh no, it’s fine. I needed a little rush to get me awake anyway.” She smiled.

Rarity looked questioningly at the purple unicorn, who was still struggling for air but wore a confidant smile nonetheless.

“Well, alright then,” she said hesitantly. “If it’s really not that big of a deal, then can you go get that cloud from Rainbow?”

“You can count on me!” Twilight Sparkle winked. Then she turned and trotted out the door.

Rarity paused to collect her thoughts, then turned back to her dress.

“Oh, I really wish Twilight wouldn’t stress out so much,” she mumbled as she picked up her needle. “Sometimes I wonder if she could survive without us and the Elements of Harmony.” She sighed and started sewing again, diligently working on her customer's commission.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight called for what felt like the fifth time. It was hard to locate a pegasus who could be anywhere above Ponyville at any given moment. She threw her head back and yelled again. “Rainbow! Where in Equestria are you?”

“Will you shut up already?” Rainbow Dash shouted back from an innocent looking cloud that Twilight had overlooked. The rainbow pegasus stuffed more clouds in her ears. “Some ponies are trying to sleep!”

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight smiled with relief. Then she paused and added, “It’s the middle of the day; you’re the only pony trying to sleep at this hour.”

“Yeah, well, whatever, that’s still one pony,” she waved off as she lay back on her cloud. “Now be quiet.”

“But I need you for something!” Twilight yelled, stamping her hoof impatiently.

“Ugh, fine!” Rainbow cried as she threw the clouds out of her ears, “Forget napping! What does Twilight Sparkle need that’s so much more important?”

Twilight puffed her cheeks out at the comment. Rainbow's attitude was clearly not at its best at the moment, but that may just be because she had just woken up.

“I just need part of a cloud for Rarity’s dress,” she mumbled.

“Fine, I’ll get you a cloud if it’ll make you leave me alone,” Rainbow said. She begrudgingly flew up into the sky, which was dotted here and there with clouds. Suddenly, she stopped. “What the hay...?”

Her eyes were full of shock, but Twilight couldn’t see why.

“What is it? What’s wrong?” Twilight asked frantically, but her words didn’t get through to the stunned pegasus, whose eyes were now wide as saucers. Twilight started sweating, so many questions rushing into her head. Was her friend okay? Did she see a giant monster? A dragon? An Ursa Major? It had to be something bad, considering that her grumpy attitude had vanished in an instant upon seeing it. She began to panic. “Rainbow, say something!” she shouted worriedly.

Twilight could barely see the pegasus's lips move, and she had to strain her ears to hear it, as Rainbow Dash was only able to mutter a few words.

“Cotton... candy... clouds...”

Author's Note:

Special thanks to my editors MrJoshy, nothingtoseehere, and maskedferret for revising!