• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 855 Views, 21 Comments

The 550 Word Challenge of GWFan - GWFan



A series of one shots written in response to monthly prompts for the Writer's Group On FIMFiction

  • ...
1
 21
 855

Snack Time

Prompt: Celestia and Cake
Originally found in this collection here

Snack Time
By GWFan (The Softcore Brony)

The kitchen was as it always was, with various ponies scurrying about, making sure the salads were fresh, the hors d'œuvres were satisfying yet not too filling, the main course divine, but most importantly, they were putting the finishing touches on the dessert. In particular, a very large cake, sat slightly to one side, its white frosting and undoubtedly chocolate insides ready for the evenings banquette. In fact it may have been too inviting, for another pony was stirring, one who was not supposed to be in the kitchen at this hour. Staying close to the walls in order to stay hidden, she slunk past the cooks and sous-chefs, keeping her special prey in view. Closer and closer, she tiptoed. The cake was just in her reach. Only a few more steps and she could have one tasty bite.

“SISTER!”

Celestia froze with her mouth inches from her precious cake. Princess Luna stormed over to her. “I thought so. You’re trying to sneak a taste of cake again.”

“I suppose you’ve caught me red-hoofed, dear sister,” Celestia admitted.

Luna groaned. “We’ve discussed this. You need to stop snacking on cake in between meals. It’s not healthy. And besides, what would ponies say if they ever found out you had such a sweet tooth?”

“Oh, Luna, I doubt somepony would print that in a newspaper or something. Besides,” Celestia licked her lips, “it’s not like one little bite would hurt.” Celestia leaned down, intent on her prize.

“No! I forbid it!” Luna swept the cake away from Celestia’s mouth with her magic and held it close. “It’s true that many of our royal traditions are outdated in this new age, but keeping up one’s appearances is still quite valid. If you want cake, you are going to have to wait for dessert like the rest of us.”

Celestia smiled. “Okay. You win, Luna. Oh, by the way, would you mind looking out that window for a moment?”

Luna raised an eyebrow at the window to her immediate right. “As you wish. What exactly am I looking for?” The only thing she could see outside was a very beautiful afternoon.

“You must pay very close attention, dear sister, because there is about to be a SOLAR FLARE!”

Luna screamed and covered her eyes when a sudden light blinded her. It lasted for only seconds, but in that time, Luna felt the cake ripped away from her magic grasp and heard hoof steps galloping away. Rubbing the white spots out of her eyes, Luna seethed. “If that’s the way you want to play, fine!” Then she flew out the window.

Celestia meanwhile, giddily galloped down the hall with her precious cake. “I can’t believe she fell for that a thousand and ten years after the last time.” She looked at the cake and licked her lips again. “Sorry, Luna, but it’s time for a snack.” Celestia happily closed her eyes and opened her mouth as she ran on. As a result, she didn’t see the dark shadow that flew in the doorway ahead of her.

“Huzzah! The surprise is-” SPLAT!

Celestia screamed, “Cake!” However, her precious cake was now smooshed on Luna’s face and crumbling onto the floor.

Luna licked her lips. “Mmmm. This is good cake.” Celestia lowered her head in defeat.

The End