• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 10,490 Views, 626 Comments

May the Best Friends Win - Trinary



Dashverse: Rainbow Dash's old friend is coming to Ponyville and it doesn't go well with her new on

  • ...
12
 626
 10,490

Chapter 8

& & &

After that bit of chaos, Rainbow Dash had a weather patrol shift to go to. Cloud Kicker was adjusting some cirrus when she saw Rainbow flying up. “About time boss. You’re—why are you flying like that?” She cocked her head when she noticed her gait. Dash was flapping more slowly than usual, holding her hindquarters in an odd position. “What, did Ditzy finally turn you over her knee and—”

If looks could kill, Cloud Kicker would’ve been cremated and scattered to the winds. She flinched. “Shuddup.” Rainbow Dash grunted.

Undeterred for long, Cloud Kicker continued to press her. “So was it rough banging or did you just up the power on a toy too high?” Rainbow had a look of disgust as she shook her head, grumbling under her breath about Rarity and her stupid clothes, still flying gingerly. Shrugging, CK let it drop.

“So, everything going alright? No major screw ups?” Rainbow asked, shifting the conversation to work.

Kicker nodded. “Yeah, everything’s fine.” They worked in silence for a few minutes before Cloud Kicker coughed. “So, how’re things working out with you and the ‘Great and Powerful’ one?”

“Everything’s FINE, CK.” Rainbow emphasized as she started pushing a cloud into position.

“Good to hear.” The lavender pegasus replied, her frosty tone indicating that it was anything but. She sighed as she decided to drop any semblance of subtlety on Rainbow Dash. “Dash, seriously how can you let her back into your life again?”

Rainbow stopped and looked at Cloud Kicker. “You’re still upset over that? Kicker, that was ages ago!”

“I was on KP for two months!” Cloud Kicker shot back. “Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to peel potatoes?”

“I thought you were given three months.”

“They kicked me off KP after they caught me shaping cucumbers into…well, that’s not important!” Kicker crossed her hooves. “Trixie is trouble Dash. I know you don’t want to admit it, but it's the truth.”

Snorting, Rainbow shook her head. “You’re letting those rumors get to you. Hay, if I believed all the rumors about you, I’d think you were some skeezy, spouse-stealing whorse.” She smiled, reassuring Cloud Kicker that she didn’t believe anything of the sort. “You have your, um, eccentricities, I guess they’re called. But so does Trixie. It’s the same thing.”

Cloud Kicker shook her head. “No. It isn’t.” She sighed. “As much as I like banging and having a good time, I have rules to prevent somepony from getting hurt. Do you really think Trixie has any?” She flew off, not waiting for an answer.

Rainbow Dash plunged her hoof through a cloud, breaking it apart and dissipating it. She grumbled. Clouds made poor targets for releasing anger. Why was this so difficult? It was like trying to put together a puzzle but with pieces from three different puzzles!

“Rainbow Dash!”

Speak of the smooze…she looked down to see Trixie looking impatiently back up at her. “What is it Trixie?”

“Trixie wanted to see you in action at your new…job.” Her face twitched. “I think that when you told Trixie that it was good for practicing your flight routines, you were being overly generous.”

Rainbow snorted. “What’re you talking about? This job is great for practice! I’ve gotten tons of experience by flying through unfriendly weather or getting a feel for wind currents by positioning clouds.”

Trixie yawned. “Sounds frightfully dull. The Rainbow Dash *I* knew would’ve settled for nothing less than flying through blizzards and dodging lightning bolts. Trixie is merely afraid that you’ve gotten…soft.”

“Hey! I am just as good as I ever was! Better even!” Rainbow boasted.

“Oh yeah?” Trixie grinned. “Prove it.”

“Anywhere, anytime!”

Looking around, Trixie’s eyes landed on one of the clouds Rainbow was supposed to push around. “Okay, how about this: I use my magic on those clouds. If you don’t get them into their proper position in say, ten seconds, they go off.”

“Go off? What’s that mean?” Rainbow Dash looked suspicious.

“What does it matter?” Trixie posed innocently. “If you’re so good, then it won’t matter. Unless of course…you don’t think you can do it.”

Drawing herself up, Rainbow shot her best cocky smile at Trixie. “Please. Anything you can dish out, I can take. And I’ll bet you I can do it in FIVE seconds!”

Trixie smiled, lifting her hat off her head and revealing her flashing horn. “Very well then—get to it!”

Without another word, Rainbow launched into action. She grabbed a cloud and shoved it into position. She appeared as little more than a blue streak as she sped by. Soon clouds littered the sky. Unfortunately, her attention was suddenly called away but a sudden shout. “Rainbow Dash!”

Pausing for just a second, Rainbow missed the deadline and the cloud she had been pulling suddenly combusted into a loud cacophony of firecrackers, streamers, a shot of lightning that struck Rainbow Dash in the rump. “EEYOWCH!” She shrieked, rubbing her sore behind. “Trixie!”

The powder blue unicorn tugged down her hat to hide her laughter, but the shaking of her shoulders gave it away. Angrily, Rainbow Dash glared at the source of her distraction and saw Raindrops. So not only had she interrupted her, she saw her backside getting fried. Marvelous.

A ghost of a smile crossed Raindrops’ face as she flew over. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing.” Rainbow grumbled, crossing her hooves. “Just a little training that SOMEpony interrupted! So why don’t you go back to doing—whatever it was you were doing, someplace else?”

Raindrops looked at her boss then down at Trixie and put it together. “I hate to sound like a broken record Rainbow Dash, but you really shouldn’t have somepony tamper with the clouds. I mean, we’re responsible for them. What if something went wrong?”

Trixie stamped her hoof. “Are you questioning the abilities of the Great and Powerful Trixie? Trixie has everything under control!”

The jasmine pegasus looked down at Trixie as if she was contemplating calling the asylum to see if they had any recent escapes. “…A huh.”

“Look Raindrops, it’s FINE. I got this.” Rainbow Dash insisted.

Raindrops groaned. She didn’t really want to get into a fight with her boss, not after Cloud Kicker had sat her down after the last one. “Look, Rainbow I—IEEEEK!” She yelped as the cloud behind her chose that very instant to go off, blowing some very cold wind and rain into a VERY personal spot. Rainbow Dash snerked as Trixie started coughing. Raindrops shivered from withers to hoof but tried to move past it. “That’s what I was talking about! I mean, what if that ha—OW!” She winced as a lightning bolt smacked her hindquarters. Rainbow Dash fell backwards onto a cloud and started laughing as Raindrops grasped her backside. The weatherpony seethed. “Trixie!” She looked down at the smirking unicorn who didn’t appear to be doing anything. “If you don’t cut that out right now I am going to—WHOA!!”

Raindrops started spinning in place as a cloud quickly spun around her, turning the pegasus into a yellow colored tornado as she went zipping all over the place before impacting down on the ground. “Uuurgh….” Her eyes spun like Ditzy’s. She seethed as her wits returned to her. “THAT’S IT!”

Snorting angrily, she climbed to her feet and charged at Trixie, bellowing like a stampeding buffalo. Rainbow Dash, zipped down to interpose herself between them. “Waitaminute Raindrops, it was just the clouds! Trixie didn’t—” The enraged pegasus knocked Rainbow over like a ninepin as she charged at her real target. Trixie, seeing the fire in Raindrops’ eyes, tried to use her magic to help her. She conjured up a piece of rope and attempted to hogtie the rampaging pony. The rope snapped, unable to hold Raindrops back or even slow her down.

Eyes widening with panic, Trixie back-peddled furiously, stammering out apologies but the jasmine pony was too far gone to hear them. A yellow hoof stretched out to knock out Trixie’s teeth when it was blocked by a lavender one. “That’s enough Raindrops.” Cloud Kicker said evenly. “Simmer down or else we’re going to have to throw down.”

Rainbow Dash rubbed her sore noggin as she sat up to watch what could have been the match of the century: Raindrops—strong as an earth pony and about as stubborn, prone to violence and with anger management issues that made Rainbow look like a cool daytime breeze. And Cloud Kicker—athletic, trim (as her many companions could attest), with great reach and a graduate of West Hoof and trained for guard duty since she was a foal. This could get ugly. Dash held her breath.

Fortunately, the moment passed. While Raindrops was still clearly furious, her impulse to maim seemed to have abated. She snorted and turned her head before stomping off. Her hooffalls were so heavy that she literally left mini-craters in the ground as she went. Cloud Kicker sagged in relief. “I’m really glad I didn’t have to fight her.” She commented. “I’ve seen that pony break harder things than clouds with those hooves.”

Rainbow Dash dusted herself off as she got up. “Yeah, thanks CK.”

Trixie made a face as she sought to recover her elegant poise, wiping the sweat from her face. “That pony is crazy! Shouldn’t you fire her or something?” She demanded of Rainbow Dash.

“Now wait just a minute!” Cloud Kicker protested, stepping between the two of them. “Raindrops might have been out of line but—”

“Out of line?! She tried to kill me!” Trixie shrieked.

That prompted an eye roll from Cloud Kicker. “She wasn’t going to kill you.” She said flatly.

“Then what do you call that?” Trixie demanded.

“Free dental work.” CK deadpanned. “Rainbow, it’s not like she wasn’t provoked. Those clouds Trixie enchanted…”

“Were meant to go off on me.” Rainbow Dash gave her a look. “She just…got in the way.”

“So it’s just a coincidence that three of them went off on her? In a row?” Cloud Kicker made as if to smack herself in the head. “I know you’re kinda oblivious sometimes boss, but that’s really pushing it.”

Trixie nudged her aside with her hip. “She attacked me! And she hit you! You’re her boss! She should be fired!”

Cloud Kicker nudged her back, none too gently. “Dash if you fire her everypony is going to think it’s just because she got on your case about taking the job more seriously. It won’t look good to the higher ups in Cloudsdale or the folks around here.”

“You are the boss.” Trixie reminded Rainbow. “If you allow yourself to be bullied by your subordinates,” she cast a sharp look at Cloud Kicker. “Then what’s the point? Nopony respects a doormat.”

Rainbow Dash groaned, massaging her head with both hooves. “I’m not a doormat…and I’ll make my own decisions, thanks!”

The lavender pegasus snorted. “Fine.” She flapped her wings to gain altitude. “We all know everything works out just fine when you do THAT. See ya later boss.”

“CK…” Dash held out a hoof as Cloud Kicker flew off. She lowered it and sighed, dipping her head. “Great. That’s all I need. What else can—”

“THERE Y’ARE YA SCHEMING VARMINT!”

Rainbow Dash looked disgusted with herself, this day, and the universe in general. “They come to me. They always come to me. How do they find me?”

Applejack stormed down the street making a beeline for Trixie and Rainbow Dash. Following in her wake was the more elegant but no less furious trot of Rarity.

“How dare you?!” Rarity hissed, narrowing her eyes and lashing her coiled tail in a way that made her look a lot like Opalescence. Dash had heard that over times pets come to resemble their owners. She guessed it made sense that it could work both ways.

Rainbow groaned. “What is it now?”

Applejack pushed her hat forward in determination. “We got a bone ta pick with this smooth talking, snake-oil salespony what calls herself Trixie!”

“Quite so!” Rarity pointed her hoof at Trixie. “J’accuse! You’re the one who filled my poor Sweetie’s head with libelous slander and slanderous libel!”

“With what now?” Rainbow Dash scratched her head.

Trixie drew herself up and sniffed. “The honest and innocent Trixie did nothing of the sort.”

“Like hay you didn’t!” Applejack snapped. She looked at Dash. “Yer friend here,” she jerked her head. “Up and tol’ mah li’l sister that Sweet Apple Acres was nothing but a little old dirt farm and that she’d be better off leavin!’ Don’t try to deny it!”

“I’m sure this is all just a big…” Rainbow started, but Trixie cut her off.

She sniffed, examining her hoof with indifference to her accusers. “Trixie would never deny helping a poor filly with some much needed advice.”

“Advice?!” Rarity practically shrieked. “You made Sweetie Belle think that I hated her designs!”

“Don’t you?” Trixie asked with false innocence.

“That’s hardly the issue! Thanks to you she’s thinks I care more about dresses than I do about my own sister!”

“Again, don’t you?” Trixie repeated, her eyebrow quirked upwards.

“Certainly not!” Rarity drew herself up. “Fashion may be my passion, but Sweetie Belle is my dear sister!”

The showmare yawned. “It is hardly Trixie’s fault if she pointed out that dressmaking is not her forte and that it might be better for her to find a different hobby.”

Rarity’s nostrils flared in a distinctly un-ladylike way. “You mean like being more like YOU? The tackiness of your outfit is matched only by the tackiness of your whole self!”

Rainbow Dash interposed herself between the two huffy unicorns before they started horn fencing. “Whoa…okay, just chill out!”

“I most certainly will NOT chill out!” Rarity stamped her hoof. “She made Sweetie Belle hate meeee!” She wailed.

Trixie shrugged. “If your sister likes Trixie more than she likes you, well…” She shrugged as she pulled the brim of her hat down. She shot Rarity an infuriatingly smug grin. It was that grin that pushed the fashionista over the edge. Trixie found herself tackled to the ground by Rarity, who could take no more. The two of them proceeded to wrestle there in the street, kicking up and cloud of dust punctuated by the odd shriek, biting of legs or the tugging of manes.

Rainbow Dash facehooved. “Oh come on!” She reached into the dust up and started fishing around for somepony to grab. “Applejack, help me.”

AJ snorted. “Ah, let’em duke it out. ‘Sides, what about Apple Bloom? This arrogant polecat practically told her to run off to the big city and leave her family behind!

“Um, didn’t YOU do that when you were her age?” Rainbow Dash asked, as she tried to grab somepony with her hoof only to come up empty.

“And it was a big mistake!” Applejack retorted with heat, her face flushed. “It was selfish an’ irresponsible and jest plain dumb!”

Dash stood up and crossed her hooves at her. “If I remember, that’s how we met—you saw my Sonic Rainboom in Manehattan and got your cutie mark for coming home?”

“Rainbow, you aren't listening to me.” Applejack urged.

“I’m listening just fine! Sounds to me like all Trixie did was offer your little sisters advice and you guys are blowing it all out of proportion!”

“You weren’t there! Apple Bloom had a suitcase half-packed and was bawling her little eyes out, thinking the only way to grow up and get her cutie mark was to run off and leave ‘er family behind!”

That made the pegasus wince. “Well, I’m sure—she didn’t mean it like that. She was just trying to help…”

“Yeah, right Rainbow.” Applejack rolled her eyes. "An' maybe pigs'll be learning to fly and take your job." She sighed, trying to soften her demeanor. "Look sugarcube we're the ones trying to help you with this here Trixie problem.”

“‘Trixie problem?’ What’s that supposed to mean?” Rainbow demanded, shoving her face up close to Applejack, forcing her to take a step back. “Trixie is my friend. You remember what friendship means, don’t you Applejack?”

“Rainbow I’m jest trying to—”

“To what? Try to get between me and one of my oldest friends?” Dash was getting really steamed and worked up, her nostrils flaring and her tail lashing angrily behind her. Her voice was sharp, accusing and it practically seemed to cut through the air. Even Trixie and Rarity paused their grappling to listen. “Ever since Trixie came into town I’ve been trying to work things out so we could all be friends! But NO! You—” she jabbed a hoof at Rarity. “hijacked me into being your model and stuck me in those weird frilly things of yours, which—by the way—rode up so high that I needed a crowbar to unwedge those things from my haunches! And you—” She whirled on Applejack. “The first thing you do is try to humiliate me in front of her by bringing up Shining Armor and tease me about your brother? And now you’re telling me that TRIXIE is the problem? Why? Because she talked to your sisters, now you’re ready to beat her up and throw her out of town? What the hay you guys, no seriously--what. The. Hay?”

Applejack bit her lip. “Rainbow I—”

Apparently Rainbow wasn't really looking for an answer because she kept going. “This is unbelievable!” Dash stomped her hooves. “Everypony wants a piece of my flank today! Cloud Kicker! Raindrops! You two—I’m sick of it! If Trixie is too much of a problem for you, then maybe I’m too much of a problem too!”

“Rainbow Dash…” Rarity bit her lip.

“Leave me alone! Everypony, just leave me ALONE!” Her wings snapped open and she streaked upwards, leaving the ground—and her problems—behind her.

Trixie dusted herself off and made herself scarce as Rarity and Applejack hung their heads, feeling utterly dejected. She had no sooner turned the corner than she started sniggering. "These small town rubes are SO easy to play..." She trotted off, her head and tail high in the air. For a change, somepony was watching her.

Twilight Sparkle frowned. "This has gone on for long enough..."

& & &