• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 10,492 Views, 626 Comments

May the Best Friends Win - Trinary



Dashverse: Rainbow Dash's old friend is coming to Ponyville and it doesn't go well with her new on

  • ...
12
 626
 10,492

Chapter 7

& & &

Dinky was overjoyed to see her godmom/super-cool big sister and her new magic teacher come to pick her up from school. “Today was so much fun!” Dinky hopped along. “At recess I got to show everypony how high I could lift things with my magic! When Lickety Split’s ball got stuck in a tree, I got it down without anypony having to get Miss Cheerilee!”

Rainbow Dash ruffled Dinky’s mane. “Hey, that’s great!”

Trixie nodded. “I’m sure all your little friends were impressed.”

Dinky giggled, pushing Rainbow’s hoof away from her tousled mane. “Yeah! Pipsqueak let me see this comic he and the other colts--Featherweight and Chowder and the others--are making about a space pony. He let me pick her name! I called her Puppysmiles." She beamed. "Everypony shared their snacks and wanted to sit next to me on the swings…nopony’s ever done that before!”

“That’s what happens when you’re the most talented filly around!” Trixie smiled. Rainbow Dash did too, happy see Trixie taking a shine to some part of Dash’s life in Ponyville.

Rainbow Dash gave Dinky a nuzzle. “Okay squirt, me and Trixie are going to go visit Applejack. Maybe while we’re there we’ll pick you up some nice apple muffins and pie!”

“Yaay!” Dinky whooped as she charged to her house, shouting for her mother to tell her all about her day.

Trixie gave Rainbow Dash a glance. “So you’re really taking me to a farm? You sure know how to show a pony a good time…”

“Chillax Trixie.” Rainbow nudged her. “Follow me.” She led her friend down the road, out of Ponyville proper until they found themselves surrounded by trees. “This is Sweet Apple Acres—Applejack’s place.” Rainbow Dash gestured with her wing, pointing at the apple trees as they walked down the path to the farm. “This is the first place in Ponyville I ever saw. They let me crash here for a bit since I didn’t have anyplace to go.”

“Trixie will be generous and assume that you didn’t mean ‘crash here’ literally.” The unicorn quipped cheekily.

Rainbow snorted. “As a matter of fact, I didn’t. They say they grow the finest apples in Equestria here.”

“Hmph. Trixie will be the judge of that.” She tugged an apple off from a branch with her magic and levitated it over to her. Trixie took a slow bite, chewing thoughtfully. Her eyes lit up as she swallowed and proceeded to take another bite. Her cheeks bulged with apple as juice dribbled out of the corner of her mouth. Rainbow’s gentle cough reminded Trixie that she had company. She quickly swallowed and tossed the rest of the apple aside. “It…was not the worst Trixie has ever had.” She allowed magnanimously.

“Uh huh.” Rainbow Dash’s tone was neutral but the expression on her face was anything but. She rolled her eyes as they continued onwards.

Trixie refused to meet her friend’s gaze. “So they have apples…and more apples. And look! Even more apples. Why are you taking Trixie further? To see if there are more apples? Trixie is fairly confident that there are. So what else around here could be so…interesting…” Her voice trailed off as her eyes came across the most magnificent pony she had ever seen outside of a mirror.

It was a stallion, but what a stallion! He was huge, practically rippling with muscles! His coat was red, his mane and tail a sandy blond. Without noticing the two mares he turned around—giving them both a fine view of his backside in the process. The two mares shivered and sighed. Then he lashed out at the nearest apple tree, forcing it to give up its rich bounty as he grunted and sweated.

Trixie and Rainbow Dash just watched him work, appreciating his…work ethic. They were so entranced that they didn’t even notice Applejack approaching them. “Well howdy partners!” The two caught mares gave a sudden start, whirling around. “What brings ya’ll…down….” Applejack peered past them, seeing her big brother bucking the trees and the flushed expression on her visitors faces. She snickered, pulling her hat down over her face to hide her expression.

“A-AJ! It’s not what you think!” Rainbow blustered, her face red. “I just brought Trixie down to—to…” She gave up, seeing Applejack’s shoulders tremble with suppressed mirth. “Not. One. Word.” The pegasus growled.

“Shucks, I don’t figure ah got t’say a word.” Smirked the farmpony smugly. “So what can I do for you…besides ask my brother to see if he’s got a fillyfriend?”

Rainbow Dash groaned. “You’re not going to let this go, are you?”

“Heh, you bet your bit I ain’t! First Shining Armor, now Big Macintosh? Do you just have a thing for big brothers? Should I ask the other gals if they have any stashed away somewhere?” She chuckled. Rainbow Dash fell to her knees, clutching her hooves together.

“Applejack, you can’t!” While Rainbow Dash pleaded for some way to walk out of this with her reputation and dignity intact, Trixie subtly crept away. She was rather good at that.

She had only gone a little ways before she found another pony in the orchard. This one was a little yellow filly with red hair and a matching ribbon. She looked to be about Dinky Doo’s age. The filly looked up with wide eyes. “Golly.” She said. “You’re that magic pony from town!”

Trixie tossed her cape, letting it blow dramatically in the wind. “You are correct! I am indeed—The Great and Powerful Trixie!”

“Whoa….” The filly’s eyes now seemed to occupy half her head. “Ah’m Apple Bloom! And you’re—amazing! Being all magical and stuff must be your special talent!” She peered around to look at Trixie’s cutie mark. “Ah wish ah knew what my special talent was….”

It was then that Trixie noticed the filly’s noticeable lack of a Cutie Mark. “Hmm. You’re rather old to be without a Cutie Mark…”

Apple Bloom’s face fell, tears building at the corners of her eyes. “C-can you help me? Can you make my Cutie Mark appear?”

Trixie tapped her muzzle in thought. “Hmm…your sister’s Cutie Mark is three apples…and your older brother’s is a half apple…”

“So you’re saying mah Cutie Mark has something t’do with apples?” Apple Bloom hopped giddily only to stop short when Trixie shook her head.

“Trixie would certainly hope not! A Cutie Mark is supposed to represent a pony’s uniqueness—how unique could you be if you had the same one that your older brother and sister have?” She shrugged.

Apple Bloom bit her lip. “But…”

“But nothing!” Trixie stood tall. “A cutie mark is more than a reflection of your talent, it is a mark of destiny! Everypony’s destiny is their own! It is not to be passively passed down or patiently waited for—it must be sought!” She stamped her hoof passionately. “In pursuit of your destiny—nothing and nopony can stand in the way! Nopony!” Tears welled in the corners of her eyes but were quickly obscured when she drew her cape close around her.

“B-but I love mah family!” Apple Bloom’s lip trembled. “But ah want mah own Cutie Mark too! What should I do?” The poor filly looked so lost and distressed.

Trixie straightened her hat. “Trixie has journeyed all over Equestria—from Canterlot to Hoofington and from Las Pegasus to Seaddle. Trixie has seen much, experienced much that revealed her true talent as a magician and stage performing wonder! Perhaps what you need is to see more of the world; see all there is to see and find your Cutie Mark out there!” She pointed at the horizon. “The chances of you finding your own Cutie Mark on a tiny, bumpkin dirt farm in a backwoods town are miniscule when compared to the odds that you’ll find somewhat across the vast whole of Equestria!” She grabbed Apple Bloom around the shoulders and waved her hoof in front of her, encompassing everything in front of them.

Apple Bloom’s eyes widened. “Yer right! All this time I’ve been looking for mah Cutie Mark here in Ponyville! Ah got to get out and go to a bigger place!”

“Many a young filly has found her destiny in the big cities, like Manehattan or Fillydelphia.” Trixie encouraged. “Why, the Great and Powerful Trixie herself started out with nothing but now look at her!” She paused as she gave the filly a chance to do just that. “When I went to Manehattan as a filly, I had nothing! Leaving my family to pursue my destiny was the best decision I ever made!”

“Huh?” Apple Bloom’s tiny brow furrowed. “Ya had t’leave yer family to get your Cutie Mark?”

“They were holding Trixie back.” The older mare sniffed dismissively. “No pony ever achieved anything clinging to their mother’s leg.”

“…” Apple Bloom looked down. “Ya mean…t’get mah Cutie Mark I’m gonna have to…” She bit her lip. “Ah—ah got to think about this…thanks Miss Trixie.”

“You are most welcome!” Trixie smiled as she walked away. She returned to where she had left Rainbow Dash and Applejack—only to find the two of them grappling and fighting in the dirt. Big Macintosh had walked over and was observing the scuffle with practiced neutrality.

Trixie looked at him, wondering if he had been watching them fight with the same interest that Trixie and Rainbow Dash had while they were watching him work before recalling that Applejack was his sister. “Are you two quite done?” She asked, directing her focus to the two scrapping ponies. The two separated rather easily and began dusting themselves off. It was then that she realized that it was a good natured scrap between friends as they were both examining bruises and ruffled manes, but were smiling as they did so.

Applejack, noticing Trixie’s return, shot her a small apologetic smile. “Heh, sorry ‘bout that Trixie.” Applejack took off her hat, holding it over her face sheepishly. “Didn’t mean to drive you off ‘r nothing. Just some good ol’ funning, right?” She nudged her.

Trixie rubbed her side and frowned at her. Applejack lowered her head. “Oh.”

Rainbow Dash gently cuffed Trixie with her wing. The unicorn sighed. “…Fine.”

Applejack smiled, feeling at ease. “Glad to hear it. Feel free to come on down anytime you like! Give me some more warning and we’ll have you over for dinner! Sorry, ah can’t hang out with you gals right now—turns out one of our cellars sprung a leak. Ah’ll catch you all later, alright?”

Rainbow Dash was disappointed but rallied. “Oh, sure. No prob AJ. Rarity wanted us to drop by anyway. We wondering if you had any apple pies or muffins around? I promised Dinky because—”

“Because she’s becoming a true magical prodigy, thanks to my expert tutoring!” Trixie butted in, nudging Rainbow to the side with her hip.

AJ looked at her funnily. “Uh sure. Hold on…Big Mac?”

Her brother nodded in understanding. “Eeyup.” He trotted off to the house.

“Aheh. Guess’n you and Twi taught that li’l filly a few new tricks?” Applejack inquired. “Ah know how much her an’ her ma love muffins.”

Trixie scrunched up her nose. “Trixie taught her how to properly access her magic…Twilight Sparkle still needs some aide in mastering more, ah, basic skills.” She smiled. “Do be sure to mention that to her?”

“Uh, sure.” The farmpony agreed, not really understanding. “Still, it’s good t’see you helping out the young’uns. Ah’m sure her family appreciates it.”

“Quite sure.” Big Macintosh returned a moment later, carrying a fresh apple pie on his back and a box of apple muffins bound in string by his teeth.

Rainbow Dash took both. “Thanks a lot big guy! See you later Applejack…Big Macintosh.” She added, a touch shyly.

“Eeyup.” The big stallion agreed. “Miss Dash. Miss Trixie.”

Underneath her cape, Trixie felt the fur along her spine rise as she heard him say her name. She shot him her most winning smile before she found herself being abruptly dragged off by Rainbow Dash.

The walk back to town was mostly done in silence. Then Trixie spoke up. “Shining Armor? The captain of the royal guard?”

“Huh? What about him?”

The unicorn just smiled. “I always knew that you had a crush on him!”

“I DID N—oh shut up!” Rainbow grumbled. “One more word and I’ll leave you here.” Trixie shrugged. She had said all she needed to. Thoroughly needled enough for one day, Rainbow Dash walked on in silence as she led Trixie to the interestingly designed building aptly named the ‘Carousel Boutique.’

“Hey Rarity! Me and Trixie just wanted to….stop by?” Rainbow Dash trailed off as they saw Rarity attempting to pull a ponyquin out of the door, grunting and straining as she tried to pry it loose. “Uh….need a hoof?”

Rarity abruptly stopped pulling and whirled around, standing in front of door in a poor attempt to block the ponyquin from sight. “Ahaha hello darlings! Welcome to the Carousel Boutique where everything is…something. Nothing to see here, everything is under control!”

Rainbow Dash and Trixie exchanged a wordless glance then looked back to Rarity. The white unicorn’s smile stretched to an uncomfortable size as she tried to create an air of normalcy for her visitors. From inside they heard a fillyish voice.

“Rarity! Have you seen the dress I made? I—heeey! What’s it doing in the doorway?” Squirming out from underneath the inanimate pony blocking most of the door, Sweetie Belle marched up to her sister and pouted. “I made that dress special for you!”

“Sweetie—darling!” Rarity knelt down to talk to her sister, giving Rainbow Dash and Trixie a look at the fashion catastrophe that appeared to be directly sewed onto the ponyquin. It was an orange dress with sloppy green zigzag stripes running all around it. Sequins were splashed all over in an inconsistent pattern, it was frayed at the edges…and Sweetie Belle couldn’t have been prouder of it. Hence the reason for Rarity’s distress. “I know and I simply love it! I just…wanted to bring it outside so more ponies could see it!”

“Oh….” She smiled sweetly. “Thank you Rarity! You’re the best big sister ever!” She hugged Rarity, not noticing her sister’s guilty grimace.

“Aheh yes…so, ah, Rainbow Dash! Trixie! What can I do for you?”

Rainbow Dash coughed. “Uh…we were just stopping by to say hello. Hello.” Trixie waved silently.

Sensing a rare opportunity, Rarity acted quickly. “Oh Rainbow Dash I’m glad you’re here! I have this darling new outfit that would look just wonderful on you!” Rarity horn flashed. Rainbow Dash dug in her hooves but found herself being dragged along by Rarity’s magic. The ponyquin was kicked aside as Rarity entered, Rainbow Dash pawing at the ground feebly.

“H-help meeeeee….!” The door slammed with a ringing finality as Trixie and Sweetie Belle were left alone outside.

After a moment of silent prayer for the poor pegasus, Trixie looked down. Sweetie Belle looking up at her. “Hi!” She said with a voice that radiated innocence. “I saw your show, it was really good! Would you like me to make a dress for you too?” She beamed.

“Yes, Trixie is amazing...and her outfit already reflects this.” She flicked her cape.

“So….you don’t want me to make you something?” Sweetie drooped. “Darn! Now I’ll never get my Cutie Mark or be like my big sister…”

Trixie made a face. “Just what is it with fillies in this town desiring to emulate their older sisters? Has nopony ever heard of originality? Of course, not everypony can be like the Great and Powerful Trixie after all…” She looked at the Sweetie. “Listen filly, nopony ever became famous for doing exactly what another pony did—ESPECIALLY if they’re imitating an older sister.”

Sweetie Belle bit her lower lip to prevent it from trembling. “But I wanna be a great fashion designer like Rarity!” She ran over to the downed ponyquin. “See? She likes it and if Rarity likes it, that means it’s good! That’s why she…she…left it in the dust.” The poor filly lowered her head and sniffled as she regarded the fallen model and the dress, still attached to it. “It’s terrible, isn’t it?”

“Yes.” Trixie said bluntly. “As Trixie said, you shouldn’t be trying to be like her anyway. It seems to me that any pony who doesn’t appreciate her sister’s efforts to help cares more about her outfits than she does about her family.”

The sound of sniffling filled the air as Sweetie Belle’s eyes filled with unshed tears. “B-but I just wanted to help!” She bawled before she turned and ran down the street. Sweetie didn’t get too far before Trixie easily outpaced her and blocked her path.

“You didn’t let Trixie finish.” She said bluntly. “Instead of attempting to imitate your sister, you should be looking to discover your own path—like Trixie!”

The filly sniffled. “S-so I should try to find my cutie mark for doing something else?”

“Precisely!” Trixie flicked her cape, letting the wind catch it and make it billow around her. “The Great and Powerful Trixie is unique! One of a kind! She set out to make her own mark on the world—and did! Nopony needs a copycat. Why go for the knock-off when the original is around? Be an original—like me!”

Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened. “Oooh—I get it!”

Trixie nodded. “Excellent! Now, I should probably go save—”

“Rainbow Dash! Get back here!” Rarity’s yell snapped them both back to the Boutique where the Pegasus in question practically exploded out of the front door and slammed it shut behind her, panting heavily.

She looked up at Sweetie Belle and Trixie. “Get over here and help me! She’s crazy!”

The two unicorns looked at each other and burst out laughing. Rainbow Dash was halfway in a pink frilly…thing…around her hips and under her tail. “R-rainbow! What is that?” Trixie giggled.

“I told you, she’s gone nuts!” Rainbow Dash grunted as she braced against the door as Rarity fought to open it. “She’s invented clothes that are supposed to go underneath other clothes!”

“Clothes…underneath other clothes?” Trixie chuckled. “You wouldn’t even see them! What’s the point in making them so…frilly and lacey and...?” She tried to think of another appropriate adjective.

“Pink!” Giggled Sweetie Belle helpfully.

Rainbow groaned. “I know, I know! I told her just that, but she—!” The banging against the door increased. “Let’s get out of here!”

“Agreed—once more I, the Great and Powerful Trixie shall pull your fat from the fire.”

“Hey, who are you calling fat?! I remember that time you filled your face at that restaurant in Canterlot when it served authentic Neigh Orleans food...”

“Oh shut up and come along before I leave you behind.” Trixie interrupted, a bit grumbly at the reminder of that fateful night—oh her poor digestive system hadn’t been the same since!—but also a bit snarkily at being able to toss Rainbow Dash’s earlier threat back at her.

Just then Rarity, remembering she had a back door, came around from the side and gave chase. And that is how Trixie and Rainbow Dash ended up running through Ponyville from a vengeful fashion designer; the cyan pegasus wearing the first known Equestrian undergarments in history.

& & &