• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 10,495 Views, 626 Comments

May the Best Friends Win - Trinary



Dashverse: Rainbow Dash's old friend is coming to Ponyville and it doesn't go well with her new on

  • ...
12
 626
 10,495

Chapter 5

& & &

“Muffin! Rainbow Dash! I’m home!” A cheerful, even bubbly, voice announced as the front door of the Doo residence opened.

Trixie turned to her companion and mouthed ‘muffin?’ at her. “Is there something you’re not telling Trixie?” She asked in a hushed whisper.

Flushing, Rainbow shook her head swiftly. “She means Dinky.” She explained softly. Then she looked to Ditzy and smiled, albeit a bit awkwardly. “Heya Ditzy. Welcome back! This is my friend Trixie—she’s a performer I met in Canterlot.”

Ditzy beamed. “Rainbow Dash said she was expecting a friend! Nice to meet you!” She held a hoof.

Trixie leaned forward to accept it. “It is nice to meet youuUOOAH!” Her voice turned into a shriek. “Your eye!”

Rainbow Dash stiffened as Ditzy’s face fell. Then the mailmare let out a gasp of her own. “Oh no! Did the middle one fall out again?” She reached up and started checking her face with her hoof. Trixie’s jaw dropped in shocked horror, and even Rainbow looked confused for a second…until she saw the corner of Ditzy’s mouth twitch. A second later Ditzy and Rainbow Dash burst out into peals of laughter. “Heehee, sorry. I couldn’t resist.” Ditzy brought up her hoof to hide her smile. “You okay?”

“Trixie is…fine.” The blue unicorn brought a hoof up to her chest. “Very amusing.” She gave a sickly grimace. “So, Trixie supposes that you are okay?”

Ditzy blinked at Trixie’s manner of speech. “Um, yes. Ditzy is okay. Ditzy’s eyes are just…a bit off. She is grateful for Trixie’s concern.” She smiled, pleased that she was able to make herself understood to this strange talking pony.

Rainbow Dash facehooved. Trixie felt her eyebrow twitch. “Yes,” Trixie ground out. “Good to know.”

Missing the subtext, Ditzy turned to Rainbow Dash. “Where’s Dinky?”

“She’s just laying down for a nap.” Rainbow grinned widely. Both of Ditzy’s errant eyes focused on Rainbow Dash as she subjected her to her best ‘mom look.’

“Why is Dinky taking a nap in the middle of the afternoon?” Ditzy asked slowly.

Rainbow fidgeted. “Um…”

“Rainbow Miriam Dash….” Ditzy leaned over and looked her right in the eye, making the poor pegasus sweat even more. Ditzy had broken out her middle name. This could only mean bad things. Trixie stepped back, not wanting to get involved. She was torn between feeling exasperated at how Rainbow Dash was cringing under the wall-eyed gaze of mailpony and laughing her horn off at the comedy of it all.

“She….hasastomachache.” Rainbow squeaked out, her voice cracking. The words just seemed to pour out of her. “I got her some ice cream when we were out and then everypony kept giving her a snack or carrot cake or something for being such a good filly that she just ate too much and I’m really really sorry!” She cringed, subconsciously lowering herself to the ground as she apologized.

Ditzy Doo sighed. “Oh, is that it?” She smiled as her menacing aura vanished. “I thought it was something serious! Poor muffin…” She shook her head. “Dinky has the entire town wrapped around her hoof.”

Seeing that she wasn’t really in trouble, Rainbow Dash offered a chuckle. “She’s just that cute…and it’s not like she does it on purpose or anything.”

Ditzy's smile widened. “Yeah…she is. Could you imagine what would happen if she DID try to knowingly use her cuteness to her advantage?”

Rainbow Dash shuddered solemnly. “She would take over Ponyville, and then Equestria and then--the world!”

“Of course!” Ditzy declared as she burst into giggles. Then her face fell slightly. “You sure muffin’s okay?” She asked, worry plain in her voice as her wings shuffled in agitation.

“Yeah, I told her a story and she was out like a light.”

Ditzy visibly relaxed. “Thank you, Rainbow Dash. You’re really good with her.” She leaned in and gave her a grateful nuzzle, waiting for Rainbow to flush and kick her hooves bashfully before adding, “But if you ever let Dinky get another bad tummyache I will put you over my knee and spank your rump till its bright red…again.” She smirked as she walked upstairs, leaving Rainbow sputtering incoherently as Trixie started laughing.

“It—it’s not like that! She’s just kidding!” Rainbow Dash protested hotly, which only made Trixie laugh harder. “Ditzy! Tell her you’re joking! Ditzy? Ditzy!” Trixie fell on her back, clutching her aching stomach. Rainbow walked over to the wall and started knocking her head against it. Hard. It was going to be one of those weeks, she could tell.

LATER…

“You can stop laughing anytime.” Rainbow Dash grumbled at Trixie as the unicorn struggled to keep her face straight. It was later that afternoon and Dinky was feeling better after her nap. Ditzy suggested that the two mares take her for a walk to help her get over her stomachache while Ditzy prepared for dinner. Agreeing, Rainbow Dash took Dinky and Trixie to Twilight’s library-house to start Dinky’s magic tutoring lessons and hopefully get herself out of the doghouse with Ditzy. She also wanted see how Twilight was doing with de-pranking her house and try to get Trixie to connect with Twilight and—by extension—the rest of her friends. Of course, if Trixie didn’t keep her mouth shut, Dash might find herself short one friend.

Trixie, however still radiated with glee. “Oh Rainbow Dash, do you honestly think I’m going to stop?” She was so happy she wasn’t even using the third pony to describe herself. “Do you know how many ponies back in Canterlot would PAY to see that wall-eyed pony spank you?” She giggled. Rainbow looked around for any ideal places for a shallow grave. Seeing none, she sighed.

“You’re such a good friend,” She commented dryly, flicking her tail under Trixie’s nose.

The unicorn snorted, rubbing her muzzle. “Careful you, or I’ll tell Ditzy and she’ll redden your rump!” Trixie sounded far too enamored by the prospect for Dash’s comfort. Ignoring her for now, Rainbow Dash looked over to Dinky.

“How you doing, Dinky?”

“M’okay,” The little filly said. She didn’t sound one hundred percent at the moment but she was in good spirits, which Rainbow Dash took as a good sign. “Is Twilight really gonna show me magic?”

Trixie grumbled something under her breath as Rainbow nodded. “Sure is! Before you know it, I’ll be you’ll be spelling up a storm!”

“I can already spell!” Dinky said. “Miss Cheerilee says that I have a great vocab-abu…vocabulary! I can spell Maresissippi and muffin and…” Rainbow leaned over and gave her a noogie.

“Well aren’t you such a little egghead?” The older pony teased.

“I’m not an egghead, I’m a muffin!” Dinky corrected primly. “Well, actually I’m a unicorn but Momma calls me muffin and I like it!” Her eyes lit up. “Do you think Twilight could teach me a spell to make muffins? It’ll make Momma really happy!” She gave a little bounce as she ran up ahead, not even waiting for Rainbow Dash to answer.

“Why you—get back here!” Rainbow reared up and whinnied in mock anger before charging after Dinky, who was now laughing at the thrill of being chased.

“Don’t forget about Trixie!” The showmare protested as she ran after them.

Rainbow Dash smiled, seeing the chance for revenge. “Last pony at the library has to wash the dishes after dinner!”

“Yeah!” Dinky cheered as she scampered ahead.

Trixie fumed as she poured on speed. “Get back here! Rainbow Dash, I swear your rump is mine!”

Dash and Dinky reached the library first and pounded on the door. “Just a minute!” Twilight called from the other side. The door shimmered with a purple light and opened, revealing the librarian unicorn. “Oh hello Rainbow Dash, hi Dinky Doo. What’s—huh?!” She yelped as the two of them bolted into the library and hid behind her as Trixie dragged herself to the door, huffing and puffing. “Um, hello Trixie.” Twilight smiled widely, looking apprehensive.

Rainbow Dash and Dinky looked at each other and shared a giggle, hi-hoofing in triumph. Trixie glowered at them. “…hate…SO much….HATE…”

“Can I help you?” Twilight asked. “Do you need something?”

“We just wanted to drop by and see how you were doing.” Rainbow said. “Everything okay now?”

Twilight nodded, feeling content as she trotted around. “Yes! My house is now completely whoopee cushion free!”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “Good to know.”

“Hello to you too Trixie!” Twilight smiled. “That was a nice show you did earlier.”

“Nice? The Great and Powerful Trixie’s stunning feats of magic are more than just ‘nice,’ Twilight Sparkle.” Trixie snorted, indignant.

Rainbow Dash nudged her. “We also brought Dinky over to start up with her magic lessons. Trixie wanted to help too so…”

“Yes!” Trixie announced, stepping forward. “The Great and Powerful Trixie intends to teach this filly everything there is to know about magic!” She gestured grandly, rearing up on her hind legs and throwing her hooves in the air.

Dinky bounced around the three older ponies cheering happily. “Yippeeee! Is there a muffin spell?”

“Muffin spell?” Twilight blinked. “I’ll, uh, have to get back to you on that.” She chuckled. “Let’s see, to get started I have some beginners’ books for young unicorns we can go over…”

“Books?” Trixie scoffed. “Trixie says that the best way to learn is by doing!”

Twilight look scandalized. “B-but all these books are written by experts! I learned by reading these books! Careful study…”

“Aw c’mon Twilight.” Rainbow protested. “Watching her read sounds incredibly boring! Why not try it Trixie’s way? You know, see where Dinky’s at and go from there?”

“I—Oh, okay.” The purple unicorn sighed. “Dinky honey, can you do any magic yet?”

The filly shook her head. “Um, I can kinda make sparks, but not when I mean to.”

“That’s okay.” Twilight smiled. “That’s perfectly normal. Now…your magic comes from inside you and is channeled through your horn.” She tried to think of how best to explain it to a little filly. “It’s like…imagine that there’s a lake in your tummy. That’s your magic. You need to concentrate and draw it up through your horn.”

Dinky looked down and gently prodded her stomach. Then she looked back at Twilight questioningly. “Really? Does this mean I should drink lotsa soda to make more magic?”

Rainbow Dash hid a chuckle behind her hoof. Twilight shook her head. “No, that’s not necessary…how about if we try some basic levitation?”

“Levi—levitation?” The little filly sounded out questioningly, looking at her.

“It means making objects float in the air.” Twilight supplied. “Just focus on something…like this quill.” She pointed to a quill on her work desk. “Close your eyes and imagine the quill inside your head. Think about how it feels, its size and color and everything you can about it. Can you do that for me?”

Dinky nodded, quickly closing her eyes and sticking out her tongue in concentration. If you were to look up the word adorable in this dictionary, this is the image that would appear next to it. Dinky’s horn was surrounded by a faint white glow that faded in and out. The same light surrounded by the quill on the desk, but it only twitched spasmodically. The little filly scrunched up her face as she concentrated, her cheeks puffing out. Finally she could handle no more and collapsed on the floor, panting. “D-did…did I do it?” She said in between gasps.

“Almost.” Twilight put her hoof on Dinky’s shoulder. “You did very well for your first attempt. We can try again tomorrow if you’d like.”

Trixie made a face. “Why wait? Let’s try things MY way…” she reached out and tugged Dinky over to her. “There’s an easier way to do magic.”

“There is?” Dinky and Twilight asked together—one excitedly and the other skeptically.

Trixie beamed as she slung her hoof across Dinky’s back and tugged her close. “The secret is to assert yourself: make things happen the way you want them to happen! If that quill doesn’t want to move—make it move!”

“Yeah!” Dinky grinned, getting caught up. “I’ll show that quill who’s the boss!”

“Be passionate! Be determined! Get angry if you have to!” Trixie exhorted, while Twilight bit her lip nervously.

“I don’t mean to question your methods Trixie, but that doesn’t seem like a good…”

But Dinky was already closing her eyes and concentrating again. “C’mon….you dumb….feather!” Her legs shook as she pushed her mind against it, her horn sputtering. “Move!” As all eyes focused on her as Dinky grunted and strained, grumbling furiously about the stupid quill. The more upset she got, the brighter her horn shone until the quill pulsed with the same light and show up off the desk to dangle in mid-air.

As everypony oohed and awwed, Dinky opened her eyes to take a peek. Then she grinned and started giddily hopping in place. “I did it! I did it! IdiditIdiditIdidit!” She squeed happily. “Hooray!”

"Was there any doubt?" Trixie preened, grinning widely as she just so happened to look in Twilight's direction. The purple unicorn frowned.

“Way to go Dinky!” Rainbow Dash crowed as she swept the filly up in a hug. “Ditzy is going to FLIP!”

Dinky kicked her hooves in midair as Rainbow lowered her down. “Thank you so much Miss Trixie! Can you believe I actually did it?”

“Sure can.” Trixie grinned. “The Great and Powerful Trixie is also a great and powerful teacher!”

Dinky ran over and hugged her. “Thank you! Oh, and thank you too Miss Twilight!”

“You’re very welcome.” Twilight was torn. She wanted to be happy for the little filly but…something just wasn’t sitting right with her. “If you want to come back another time, we can keep working and…”

“Can Trixie help?” Dinky asked innocently. “She’s really good at magic and stuff—I wanna learn how to make fireworks and smoke and all that really neat stuff!”

Twilight fidgeted. “Well…” She looked to Rainbow Dash, but the cyan pegasus had wandered into the kitchen and out of earshot.

“Of course I can!” Trixie interjected, answering for her. “Trixie is always willing to help out a fan. After all, every unicorn should learn how to use her magic as early possible. Why, a unicorn who can’t use her magic is like…like…” She paused, as if trying to find just the right words. Her eyes flicked briefly to Twilight before adopting a Cheshire grin. “Is like a grown pony who still wets the bed!” Twilight’s face lit up with a blush as she coughed, looking away. Trixie turned to Dinky. “You don’t do that, do you Dinky?” She asked, her voice dripping with false sweetness.

“Nooo!” Dinky wriggled her nose. “’f course not! Only little fillies wet the bed!” Twilight slunk down in an attempt to sink below the floorboards. “I’m a big pony!”

“Yes, you are.” Trixie agreed; smirking as she subtly cast her eyes towards Twilight.

Rainbow Dash came back right after that with a glass of water for Dinky. “Here you go Dinks…hey, Twi are you okay? You look a bit flushed.”

“I’m fine.” Twilight snapped quickly, a scowl on her face as her eyes flickered over to Trixie. “I’m just…I’m going to turn in early tonight. See you all later.”

Rainbow Dash looked confused and a bit worried. “Sure. Okay. Good night Twilight.”

“Nighty-night!” Dinky waved as Twilight slowly headed up the stairs.

Trixie nodded. “Pleasant dreams.” She said in a syrupy sweet tone. "Don't let the bed bugs bite." Twilight stiffened then kept going, all but stomping her way up.

Rainbow looked from Twilight to Trixie. She wasn't sure of what she had missed, but she had a sinking feeling that mixing her old and new friends was going to be even harder than she had thought.

& & &