• Published 5th Oct 2012
  • 10,283 Views, 317 Comments

The Little Things In Life - Cabral095



As tiny ponies invade the home of a young man fresh out on his own, his life is turned upside down.

  • ...
17
 317
 10,283

Interlude 2 - Meeting Place

Chapter 9 - Interlude 2 - Meeting Place
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Twilight are you crazy?!” Spike huffed whilst trying to keep pace with Twilight.

“But Spike, you heard what Trixie said,” Twilight huffed in reply, “I have to go and stop her.”

The purple dragon heaved a sigh, a look of concern and worry grew on his face. “Ok, but why are we running? I mean, it’s not like I can’t keep up with you,” Spike panted heavily as Twilight slowed down for him, “Trixie challenged you, it’s not like she’s going anywhere.”

“That’s what she wants you to think Spike, we have to get the Elements of Harmony, it’s the only way to stop her!”

“No it’s not, you can just talk with her.“

“No time for that Spike!”

“But she’s right there!” Spike stated, pointing into the distance towards the Everfree Forest, the outline of a pony scarcely visible. It was none other than, Trixie! While Twilight gathered the Elements of Harmony, Spike went and retrieved his sword and shield. His armour gleamed in the brilliant light of Celestia’s sun---

“Is this exactly how you remember it Spike?” Celestia mused.

“Uh, yeah. I mean, I had to convince Twilight that the Elements of Harmony were not necessary. Otherwise, she would probably have just obliterated Trixie.”

“Riiiight... So what happened next Spike?” Celestia continued, she stood in her resting chambers by the window as Spike sat in a nearby chair, which was made of pretzels. A small bowl of gems were located to his left upon a chocolate nightstand. He grabbed another and continued with his tale.

“So there I was, battling against Trixie alone-”

The doors to Celestia’s chamber suddenly burst open, “Objection! I’ll handle this sister.” Princess Luna declared.

Celestia glanced at Luna. “Can I help you with something?”

“I shall ask the questions here!”

“One moment Spike.“ Celestia excused herself, stood up and walked to her sister, “What are you doing Luna?”

Luna leaned and whispered into her sister’s ear, “You know I’ve always wanted to question the subjects. Plus, I haven’t had a chance to do anything yet. At least let me do this.”

“If you promise to not eat anymore of the castle walls.”

A pout formed on Luna’s face. “Bu-...Fine,” she agreed, “I shall not… for now.”

Celestia sighed and turned towards Spike, “Luna shall take things from here Spike. I have some important matters to attend to. Now play nice you two.” With that said, Celestia gracefully left the chambers, shutting the door behind her, causing part of a nearby wall to crack. Spike and Luna, now alone with each other, shared an awkward glance.

“Well that was sudden.” Spike chuckled nervously.

Luna trotted near the purple dragon and sat beside him. “Continue your tale dear Spike,” she stated.

“Well as I was telling your sister, I was battling Trixie alone. My brilliant sword-”

“Lies!” Luna shouted, slamming her hoof into the floor, “You do not own a sword!”

“... Um… no not really. But you se-”

“Tell us the truth dragon!” Luna slammed her hoof into the plush marshmallow carpet, to add more effect, Luna had lightning crack in the background, singeing a portion of the carpet to golden brown. Spike curiously looked around the room.

“Where did the lightning come from?”

“Oh, I carry around this personal cloud. In case of emergencies. Now carry on dear Spike.” Luna replies trotting towards her sister’s bed. The once luscious and hoof woven sheets of velvet and cashmere were now strands of licorice. The carved grained wood now chunks of graham crackers, which Luna promptly took a chunk for herself. Grabbing the few pieces, she dug them into the golden brown carpet of molten marshmallow goodness before grabbing the chocolate nightstand. Smashing it to pieces, she tossed them into the pile of marshmallow and graham cracker.

“....... Right. Well.. You’re right. I don’t really have a sword… or shield. Or large muscles, and I’m not all that brave. I’m not as special as Twilight or her friends… I just... You know, wanted to do something when Trixie sent them away. And… and all I could do was run. Just run!”

Tears had begun to take shape below the lids of the purple dragon. A flood came rushing in causing Luna to look up at the young whelp mid bite of her furniture sized confection.

“I really wanted to help Twilight and sound like I did something! Like I didn’t just run, I wasn’t a coward, that I… that I could be someone special. Like Twilight and her friends.” Spike grabbed onto Luna, his tears running down the dark mare's coat, cascading towards to plush marshmallow flooring.

Luna herself just stared at the dragon, unsure of what to do. “...There there.. Um, You’re special Spike, you… You send letters to Celestia. No other pony does that like you do.”

“But I could do so much more!”

“Packages as well?”

Luna patted the baby dragon atop his head, providing what comfort she could. Mostly just confused at the little dragon’s sudden outburst. A slight creak sounded from the door, slowly opening to reveal Celestia.

Luna looked towards the white mare, her lips mouthing the words “Help Me”. Celestia raised a brow, befuddled at the scene that was playing out before her.

“Am.. Am I interrupting somet-- What happened to my bed!?” She stammered at Luna, passing a glance towards her sister’s now white lips.

“Go away please, we’re mourning.” Spike sobbed.

Celestia blinked. “But my bed is…” Celestia stopped, and looked towards Luna, eyes filled with malice, “I’ll just.. Come ba-”

“No!” Luna stammered, “I mean, it must be important dear Sister, I can’t just shrug off my royal duties. Especially in this time of crisis.”

“No No Luna, I couldn’t pull you away from helping the needs of the citizens.”

“Does not many outweigh the needs of the few?” Luna pondered a moment. “Guard!” She shouted.

A guard came rushing into the chambers, “Yes your highness?” he inquired bowing.

“Sit here and comfort the dragon, I shall return.”

Before the guard could rebut the authoritative word of the princess, Luna and Celestia departed the room, though not before grabbing another chunk of the giant s’more, leaving the guard and Spike alone. The guard just looked at the dragon.

“So… You like Jenga?” The guard asked.

-----

Celestia huffed down the hall, her long legs powerfully strutting forward. Luna followed close behind, trying to keep up with Celestia’s pace whilst simultaneously eating the sticky morsel.

“Where are we headed sister?”

Celestia stopped, “You ate my bed?”

“Well...” She gulped, finishing the last of the bed. “Maybe?”

“The Crystal Empire.”

“I didn’t eat the Crystal Empire!”

Celestia sighed, “No, I feel we need to meet with Cadance and see if there’s a way to slow Discord’s chaos from the Crystal Empire.”

“You can… slow chaos?”

“I’ve been thinking about that, and may have an idea.” Celestia trotted out onto the balcony of the castle, her grand wings spread opened as she dove off the side of her once luscious castle, the great walls now Mentos and Tic Tacs. Luna mimicked her sister, following her north.

~~~~~~

The howls of the windy air filled Trixie’s ears. The hot desert sun scorched the land beneath her as she trotted forward. Her hooves trying to find some sort of footing on the soft sands.

“I can’t believe this,” she mumbled to no one in particular. “Why did I even listen to her? I mean, I should have just headed west. That’s where I wanted to go….”

Her thoughts continued to bounce and run around her head, trying to piece together the details. Trying to understand what she had truly done. It seemed odd however, the chaos hadn’t spread here yet, the desert remained largely untouched by Discord’s spreading chaos. Soft rolling dunes stretched across the vast landscape, a blue sky loomed overhead, and perhaps a mountain in the far distance. No oddities, however, like that she had witnessed back near the Equestrian border.

The blue mare carried herself through the expansive sea of sand, and her mind carried her thoughts far away. Soon the dunes of sand reached for the sky, Trixie slowly trudged her way over them, however, her cart had grown heavier in the thickening sand. The mare halted, looked back to her wagon and sighed. The door to the wagon gave way to her hoof, squeaking with content to see its owner return home.

Trixie looked all around and gathered her thoughts…. her memories. So many had flooded her mind when she walked in. Walking to the bed towards the back, she reached underneath and pulled out a bag. A bit dusty, but it’d be enough for her supplies out here. For now at least. She didn’t know how long she’d remain out here. She had hoped to at least run into some nomadic Zebra or possibly Earth ponies.

The inside of the wagon home was small. A simple bed located to the back, a bookshelf on the adjacent wall with her many books on magic. Many she intended to read at some point. To the opposite wall was a small ice box with some provisions in it for long journeys that she often took when traveling from city to city. Opening the box revealed some carrots and celery neatly bundled together, a bag of chips, and a few bottles of water.

After placing them in her bag, she closed the box and walked to the bookshelf. She glanced over the dozens of books, recollecting where each came from. Her eyes landed on a blue covered book, gold leafing graced its spine, and the words, Origins of Magic, were written on its spine in white. Her purple aura consumed the book, levitating it towards her. Gently she placed it in her bag, and continued her search.

A few other books had grabbed her eye, all of which had been set in the bag as well. The small nightstand near her bed had a frame resting on it, a picture of her and Celestia. She was but a filly at that time. Opening the one drawer on the stand, she reached in and took out a few letters that were lying nestled in the clothing.

Trixie spent another few moments, looking around. Memories were swelling her brain and emotions were flaring about. The wagon had been a part of her life on the road since she was young, and now she had to leave her home, hopefully to find another.

The young mare stepped out of the door, shut the door behind her, and took a step back. It looked almost at rest here in the sandy dunes of the Palomino Desert. By now the sun was just past midday, Trixie was unsure though if that was the time. Surely the sun had been altered from the spreading chaos by now? She halted her thoughts from the events that were unfolding and returned her focus to her home. She simply patted the side of the wooden wagon, and pressed onwards.

~~~~~

The dark clouds rolled and boomed over the sisters of the sun and moon, their strong wings beat upon the frigid dark air around them. Ice and snow pounded against their coats causing frost to build onto their forms. Not too far ahead lay their destination, The Crystal Empire. The shield enveloped the alicorns, and the air calmed all around them once inside the barrier.

“It appears the chaos has not yet reached the Crystal Empire.” Luna remarked.

Celestia pondered for a moment, “Perhaps Discord doesn't know about the Crystal Empire’s return just yet. If that’s the case we must take advantage of this opportunity.”

Luna nodded, following her sister with haste toward the Crystal Spire ahead of them. The princesses landed, in unison, upon the balcony of the Crystal Spire. Cadance was already there, awaiting what news Celestia had obtained for her.

“What news have you obtained for me?” Cadance asked redundantly.

Celestia heaved a sigh, folding her wings to her side, “Discord’s magic is spreading far more rapidly than I first thought it would. It seems we need to come up with a way of holding him back here and soon, before he discovers the Empire’s return.”

“You mean he doesn’t know we’re here yet?” Cadence asked.

“Indeed.”, said Luna.

“Why not? It’s been prophesied for millennia basically. Everypony knew it would return.” Cadance retorted.

“Discord was defeated after the Crystal Empire had vanished and he never bothered to ‘pay attention to the puny, pathetic prophecies of ponies’. His words, not mine.” Celestia explained.

“Right. So, have you come up with a plan to hold back Discord’s magic?” Cadance asked.

“I have an idea, but we may need the Elements of Harmony to do so.”

“You said they were unaccounted for.” Cadance remarked to Celestia.

“That is true.” Celestia sighed, “However, I believe they may have been recalled to the Tree of Harmony, right in the middle of Discord's new realm.”

“Wouldn’t he know of the tree’s location?” Cadance asked.

“No”, Luna replied, “the tree was more of a legend than a known fact and he never bothered to listen to ‘the lame, laughable, lunatic legends of losers’. His words, not mine.”

“So what is your plan?” Cadence queried.

Celestia looked to the Crystal Empire, “I believe that the Crystal Spire would be able to channel and amplify our magic to create a barrier of anti-chaos. This would allow us to stave off Discord’s advance and hopefully buy time to find and rescue Twilight and her friends.”

“Ok”, Cadance began, “but would it be strong enough if Discord focused his attention on us?”

Celestia lowered her head somberly, “Likely no, but if we can find the Elements of Harmony, we could use them to enhance the spell and perhaps even begin reversing Discord’s...changes. Normally the Elements would be more than capable of doing this, but with their bearers absent we may not be able to draw out enough power to defeat him outright.” She sighed, “This won’t be an easy task to accomplish, but I see no alternative if we are to stop Discord.”

The two princess nodded their heads in agreement with Celestia. A brief silence filled the air.

...

Luna looked to the two mares, “..So… now what?”

“Well Luna,” her sister began, “I believe that you should go and find the Elements for us. Cadance and I need to plan out how we will channel our magic through the Spire.”

“Where should I begin my search for the Elements?”

“You have a long journey ahead of you dear sister. I believe the Elements could have dispersed across Equestria… Or possibly returned to the Tree of Harmony…. I’m honestly not sure, but I know you will succeed in your mission.”

The other two princesses shared a glance, Celestia just stood and smiled. After another moment, Luna slowly nodded her head. “Okay,” she replied, “I guess I’ll just… go now.”

“If you could sister, do check on Spike while you’re out there and see the status of Canterlot as a whole.”

Luna was befuddled. “I thought it was called Candylot?”

“Candylot?” Cadance rightfully asked.

“Long story,” Celestia stated, ending that topic. “Now Luna, please, Cadance and I have much to discuss about saving the world… again.”

“Of course.” The blue mare nodded, jumping off of the balcony, her strong wings unfurled in the air, and carried her off towards the chaos that awaited her.

~~~~~

“And that’s how I became a royal guard.”

Spike sat before the grey pegasus, his eyes filled with wonder and awe at his new hero. In his arms sat a small empty bowl, some glittering shards of gems remained nestled at the bottom of the dishware. The pegasus sat silent for a moment at the edge of the marshmallow bed, his helmet removed, revealing his brown rugged mane.

“Wooow!” Spike shouted in amazement, “That was incredible! The way you killed that manticore, and the cyclops!”

“Well, I don’t mean to brag, but it’s not about what I’ve killed, but who I’ve helped.”

“Imagine that all this came from a game of Jenga. Too bad no one else will know.”

“It’s a burden I must carry alone.”

Then Luna burst through the doors. “SPIKE! ARE YOU ALIVE?”

Silence befell the room.

“Ah.” Luna spoke up, “Yes, well, I’ll leave you two to your game of Jegna.”

“Jenga.” Spike corrected.

With that, Luna slammed the door, and returned to more important matters. Like the fact that most of Candylot was eaten, or burned by flaming marshmallows and let’s not mention the lake of Pop Rocks. The moon pony heaved a sigh.

I can do this. She began mentally, All I need to do is give a heartfelt and calm speech. Something to calm the ponies. I’m sure all will be well.

The balcony stood before the mare, awaiting her royal presence. Luna was ushered in by two guards, regal and proud to serve the empire and protect the ponies of Equestria. Luna herself closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. The world fell silent before her as she focused in on herself, and what words were needed at this hour. This time and place. This moment, to save all of her subjects from fear, and evil gummy creatures.

“Equines of Equestria! I come forth to give you a message, a message from my sister.” Silence emanated around her. “Tonight, is not the night we lose to chaos. To disorder and fear, tonight, we live! We strive for what was and what will be again! This is our time ponies, to stand up and fight back against Discord and his wrath, to bring forth peace once more to this land. I know it’s hard to see the light in the darkness we stand in today. But there is a light, and it shines for us. For Equestria! Will you stand together with me my ponies?”

The princess sat still for a moment, waiting for a multitude of stomps and applause. Then another moment went by in silence. She decided to wait one more moment. Still nothing. Suddenly, a light clap of some hooves came from behind, the princess looked to see one guard applauding her.

“Um… I thought that was a great speech your highness.” He mumbled under his breath.

“Where’s the roaring applause from my subjects?”

“Well, you had them evacuate.”

….

Luna looked down to the courtyard below, the chocolate fountains and licorice grass were desolate. The creak of a door groans slowly as a lone pony stumbles out. He looks up noticing the Princess and waves before beginning to sweep the courtyard, for he is only the janitor.

….

The princess's’ cheeks blushed, “oh…. Well then. Now that I have you two rallied, let’s go and find the Elements of Harmony!”

And so the heroic trio set out on an adventure. An adventure like none other that had been adventured before. A tale so epic and glorious in the making that the old editor died while editing it. So it was cut out.

Luna and her guards stood before the Golden Oaks Library in Ponyville, well, in what was left of the town. Much of it appeared to be made of toys small colts and fillies would play with.

The guard to Luna's right, Steve we'll call him, asked, "What horrible monster would do such a thing?"

Luna and the other guard just eyed Steve, who was still looking around at Fillyville. At least that's what the sign drawn with crayon stated, it was crudely scotched taped to a couple sticks jabbed into the playmat earth. Above no longer floated the beautiful puffy clouds brought from Cloudsdale, instead gray and white diapers had filled the pink air.

“Do you like it princess?” Chortled a bottle of talcum powder. The bottle turned, yellow eyes gazed towards the Princess and her guards. “I had you especially in mind for this little set up.” The lid burst open with a white poof, out came a white Discord, with his rear decorated in a diaper as well. Which he in turn grabbed and tossed into the air. Having it join the other heavenly undergarments in the sky.

“Me?” Luna quired.

“But of course! I haven’t been around for at least a couple thousand years, I thought you were still but a young mare. My how does time fly so fast?”

“Fast for you!!!” Screamed Steve the guard, his hoof flying through the air, his wings flared open, lunging his body forward and towards the heinous beast.

“Wait Steve!” Shouted Luna. However, her order had been given too late.

A loud smack rang through the air, silence emanated around the equines as Discord’s body contorted heavily to the left from the sucker punch he’d received to the jaw. And with a ‘pop’, Discord’s body popped. Confetti descended to the playmat floor, around Steve.

“I guess he couldn’t handle the… Pressure.” Steve said.

…..

He looked around, “You know, pressure… pop… Nevermind.”

“Bravo, oh I say, bravo!” Cheered Discord from the background, his head turned backwards facing away from the group of ponies. Sweat seeped from Steve’s brown coat and cascaded towards his hoofs. “You know Steve, you’re the first pony to hit me in at least a thousand years. That, I don’t appreciate. One bit.”

Discord raised his claws, a scowl morphed onto his face, “You know Steve, I actually kind of liked you. So tell you what.” Steve lifted from the ground to the air, dark magic circling around him ferociously. Discord slashed his claws through the air, ripping it in twain. A blue sphere filled the air where Discord sliced, inside the sphere a pink landscape could be seen. Horrific monsters of untold horror lurked inside this realm. “I’m sending you on vacation!” Discord’s demeanor changed quickly to one of excitement.

Steve looked on in horror, before his eyes stood an abomination. A large pink pony, the likes he had never seen, a huge jaw, with an even brighter shade of pink for a mane.

“Oh it’s just a wonderful dimension Steve, ponies who sing, dance, have tea and love fashion.”

Before Steve could comprehend the misshapen hellish figures that lurked on the other side of the portal, a bright light engulfed him, forcing his eyes shut. Upon reopening them, he found himself before Luna and the other guard, we’ll call him Billy.

“Steve,” Luna whispered, “are you well?”

“I… I think so… Just might have a few nightmares.” He heaved heavily in reply.

“Good, we still have much to do here.” Luna stated, looking around the dark room.

“Good? Where are we?”

“Golden Oaks Library.” Billy answered, “Luna believes this is where the Elements of Harmony could be.”

“This I wish to be true. I couldn’t bear the idea of having to search the Everfree. Who knows how out of control that could have gotten.”

Steve shuddered. Not from the Everfree comment. Oh no, he shuddered from seeing the other dimension. Taking a quick sigh of relief that they stood in relative safety, Steve gazed at his surroundings. Plastic toys filled the shelves that once held a large mass of books, a crib lie still up above the ponies on the visible second level.

“So, what will the Elements look like?” Steve asked, as he trotted towards the upper level of the home.

Luna threw down a shelf. The shelf in turn shattered upon slamming into the plastic floor below, “They should look like necklaces.” She replied searching the debris. “Each of them containing the cutie of its master, for Pinkie Pie, a balloon. For Applejack, an apple. For Rainbo-”

“I found one!” Steve shouted into the air.

“Let me see.” Luna stated, walking towards Steve.

The princess looked at the beautiful jewel, her eyes looking over each feature, trying to find flaws. Her magic enveloped the necklace so that she could closer examine it.

“Neigh!”

“Nigh.. That I was I meant.” Luna said quickly retracting her previous statement. “This is but a replica!”

“Wait… What? Really?”

“Indeed Sir Billy.” Luna tossed the necklace to the floor, and with a loud crunch she had shattered the necklace with her powerful hooves. The shards dispersing across the wooden floor. “Discord has laid a trap for us.”

“Oh my Luna, you seem to have seen through my ruse.” Laughter echoed across the empty library, alerting Luna and her guards.

Their eyes thoroughly searched the room in detail, trying to discern the beast.

“Show yourself Discord!” Steve yelled, “We’re not afraid of you!”

“It’s not me you should be fearing Steve. There are far bigger creatures than I playing at this game.”

“What are you speaking of Discord?” Luna protested.

“You know as well as I do about the realm in which our world lies Luna. Something's about to happen that hasn’t happened in millennia.”

“You mean like every other year here?” Steve quipped.

“And hasn’t that been interesting Steve? Haven’t you noticed how everything so recently has been almost world ending?” A multitude of toys plummeted from the ceiling above Steve, swallowing him whole as they fell on him. A small toy discord popped out of the pile, his arms and legs moving across the floor towards the center of the room in a robot like fashion.

“Luna, what is he talking about?” Bob asked, eyeing the plastic discord walking across the floor towards him.

“Yes Luna, please do tell the tale. I do so love to hear it told.” Discord cheered, the small toy clapping his small plastic toy arms together.

“If I must.” Sighed the Princess. “It all began so long ago, from a legend. An old tale Celestia and I were told as young fillies thousands of years ago. It was said our world was not alone, and that there were many worlds among the stars with life. Of the thousands of worlds, there were two other worlds so intertwined with ours, if they had split, our worlds would be thrown into chaos.”

~~~~~

Bright aura emanated from the Crystal Spire, golden pink rays of light and energy danced across the skies of the Crystal Empire flickering across the magic dome above. The streets of the city remained silent however as they had fled to their homes, fearing the oncoming chaos waiting outside their heaven.

Celestia grunted, her horn’s light dissipating and her body relaxing. “Great work Cadance. This may hold off some of the chaotic energy, but I don’t know for how long.”

Cadance panted in reply, “How much longer do you think Luna will be?”

“I cannot say for certain, but I know she will get her task done. Cadance, I must ask you about something.”

“What is it?”

“Do you remember the old story I told you about when I saw... fairies?”

Author's Note:

Well this certainly took a very long time to release! You know how life gets busy, first work, then starting your own business and so many other things. Well, I hope you all enjoy this new addition to the story! I cannot say for certain when the next chapter will release. I do have the whole story down and in mind, knowing the outcome and ending. I imagine it won't take more than five chapters. Again though, we'll have to see when it all is written though. I really do want to finish this though! Thanks and have a great day!

Comments ( 9 )

Holy shit this story still exists?

Welcome back and what-not.

awwww kind of a downer its only an interlude...... but great chapter though:twilightsmile:
hope for MOAR!!!:flutterrage:

Huh. 3 years since the last update. I tracked this story fully expecting it to be abandoned. I'm glad I was proved wrong

8383470
I have (Edit for some reason it ended my comment there xD) What I was saying is that I have also read the first two books, but I thought as a fun twist to include the non US name for the book. Which when first originally published in England was Philosopher's Stone. They changed the name in the US release and theatrical release as well.

8383392
I'm glad I hadn't abandoned it yet. I have a fun story to tell and was wanting it told, I've been just really busy as of late lol. I actually started a business, so nowadays that occupies my time quite a bit, but I haven't forgotten this story and want to cleanly wrap this up. I can say the same for my other stories like Fading Light and Ashes.

...

What is even happening anymore in this story?

8386170
That's the greatest mystery of all in this story....

Alright, so... Since it seems that this story will no longer be written, I would Luke to ask for your permission to complete it myself.

Wow, this story is great! When is the next chapter coming out?

Login or register to comment