• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 5,223 Views, 120 Comments

The Pale Rider by Artemis - Apollo and Artemis



No rest for the weary. Not even for Death.

  • ...
20
 120
 5,223

Ch.2: Another Old One?

Death's expression didn't change in the slightest as the small horse spoke to him. He was used to seeing all the weird things in even a Nephilim's eyes. He neither spoke nor reacted to the equine's attempt at conversation, which unnerved it.
"Umm.... What's your name?" The purple equine asked, getting no response from the Pale Rider. This unnerved her, but she persisted.

"My name's Twilight Sparkle." Death decided to just introduce himself and get this whole mess sorted out.

"Do you not know who I am, small equine? Surely you have heard of The Pale Rider, Death?" He said and Twilight became rather confused.

"Your name is Death?" She asked and Death actually rubbed his temples in frustration. This is why he couldn't stand dealing with mortals. They never could understand anything higher than them. And he had to answer them now.

"Yes. What is this place?" He asked as he looked around to see some of the ponies exiting their homes slowly. He then returned his attention to Twilight.

"You're in..... Um.... Ponyville..." Twilight said in an extremely rare meek tone. Death immediately corrected her.

"No. I meant what world this is." He snapped rather quickly, causing the terrified mare to flinch.

"Y-You're on Equis and t-the country i-is Equestria....." She sputtered before backing away a little, her gaze not leaving the Nephilim. Death looked again and saw there were some of the ponies who were brave enough to come out of their homes with makeshift weapons like pots, pans and other cooking and eating utensils. He let out a dry laugh and turned to Twilight. Before he was able to say anything, a blue streak hit him squarely in the side and he staggered backwards. Annoyed, he looked at his attacker and almost let a smile creep onto his face. It was one of the ponies. It was a cyan pegasus with a rainbow mane and tail. It had magenta eyes that glared at him as menacingly as possible for it, which only served to make him laugh a little.

"What's so funny!?" The angry pegasus shouted and Death laughed a bit more. These things really didn't know how to look intimidating.

"A small, colorful, three-foot equine is hovering in front of me, making death threats. I find it rather amusing, don't you?" He said and the pegasus growled. Before it could strike again, a purple aura surrounded it and it was taken away from him.

"I'm sorry about Rainbow. She's only looking out for us." Twilight said and the Nephilim simply stared at her. This went on for a couple of moments, until Death broke the silence.

"Who is your ruler here?" He said. He just saw this small horse do telekinesis. If these things had magic at their disposal, then their ruler must be the strongest among them.

"Uhh..." Twilight was thinking of an answer. She didn't know this creature's intentions, so she didn't know if she should tell it about the Princesses. Before she was able to think of a good answer, a bright flash came out of nowhere and she thought to herself.
This is going to be bad....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Celestia felt a twinge in her forehead. It was a familiar twinge. It was the one she felt back in the forest, albeit much weaker. She immediately traced the twinge back to Ponyville.

"No no no no no no no....... Please, Twilight. Don't be in trouble...." Celestia despaired as she disappeared in a flash of light, causing the guards near her throne to gasp. The guards immediately took flight. They all followed their ruler's magic trail.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Death shielded his eyes as the flash went off. When the flash subsided, he took his hand away from his face and found something rather strange. A taller version of the ponies was standing in front of them in a defensive stance. It was white and it seemed to have both wings and a horn, which was glowing with a yellow aura.

"Who are you?" It said with a commanding tone. Death chuckled. These things thought they could mess with the Reaper and live?

"I am Death, Rider of the Pale Horse. And what might you be?" Death asked and one of the ponies answered for the larger one.

"She's Princess Celestia! The immortal alicorn princess of Equestria!" A voice in the background said. Death actually smiled for the first time in a long time.

"There is no such thing as true immortality. Everything can and will eventually die. All will meet the Reaper's blade." Death said. He wasn't much for theatrics, but today was an exception. He then turned to the so-called princess.

"Well? Will you let your subjects do the talking for you? Some princess you are." He said and Celestia flinched, but she quickly regained her composure.

"What are you doing here on Equestria?" She asked, her stance not wavering.

"I don't know. But if you can show me the way to the Tree of Life, I'd be glad to leave." He said and Celestia flinched again. She didn't exactly know what the Tree of Life was. Her parents told her about it, but she couldn't seem to remember.

"I....cannot tell you.." She said and Death narrowed his eyes. He was getting impatient.

"Why not?" Death asked, his tone laced with venom. He didn't usually speak or act like this, but the fact that he had to deal with mortals and that the only assumed Old One he could find didn't want to tell him what he wanted really pissed him off. Stacked with the fact that this world was so colorful and the dominant species were three foot equines, it really wasn't his day.

"Please don't misunderstand. I really can't tell you." Celestia tried to reason, but her pleas fell on deaf ears. Death held out his hand to silence her reasons. He really couldn't deal with this right now.

"Enough. If you won't tell me, I'll just have to force the answer out of you." He said as he drew his scythes and the ponies gasped.

"Who do you think you are to challenge the Princess!?" A voice called out from the back of the group. Death paid no attention to the voice that sounded somewhat like the buzzing of a fly and he brought his scythes in front of him.

"I won't let you hurt my ponies!" Celestia declared as her horn began to glow a gold color instead of its usual yellow. Death just saw this as another distraction and he charged with the goal of weakening the alicorn instead of killing it. He needed it, after all.

He dived under a golden beam of energy and connected his scythes. He quickly recovered and threw the now double-bladed scythe at Celestia. She reared her head back as she quickly put up a barrier between her and the spinning blades. She could feel the blades quickly whittling down her barrier with repeated strikes. Just as she thought her barrier would fail her, the strikes stopped. She was relieved, but she couldn't let it register as Death's next move came at her.

He leaped back a couple meters and he continued his assault, scythes slashing so fast, a small whirlwind lashed at Celestia. She responded by backpedaling to avoid Death's savage attacks.
"He's so fast..." She thought as Death's assault stopped for a moment. The break was short-lived, however. Death immediately connected his scythes into one large scythe and he swung it around in a deadly arc, the princess of the sun barely managing to duck under it to avoid the scythe's unnaturally sharp blade. He quickly shifted the scythe into a double bladed polearm and with it, he attacked. He swung the Harvester once, a shield getting between it and one of the princess' foreleg. The blade bounced off, but he used the momentum to swing again with the other blade with the same results. Death continued his assault, a dance of steel and sparks playing out before him.

Celestia was feeling the strain of the battle. With each savage strike, her shield weakened. With each unrelenting blow, her magic faltered. Death was too strong. But she would not give up. She could not give up. Her ponies depended on her to defeat Death and stop him from doing any harm. She jumped back and let her shield down, Death's attack carrying him through. He almost tripped, but he righted himself before anypony even noticed.

Celestia had her horn glowing with a spell ready to decimate Death. Then she released. Her horn shot torrents of sun fire at Death, it's searing heat melting the stone at his feet. The heat drove away any ponies that were too close. She stopped spouting fire and looked at her handiwork. A crater of molten rock was left in Death's position and any and all greenery were scorched into nothing. She turned to the terrified ponies to tell them that it was now safe, but then she heard the squelching sounds coming from the crater. A bony hand popped out of the crater, followed by another. Then, Death rose from his would-be tomb covered in a blue aura. Everypony's jaw dropped as the Pale Rider wiped off the molten rock as if it were nothing but dust.

"But.... How?" Twilight said, mind completely blown by the sight. How could anypony survive flames from the surface of the sun? Celestia was shocked and Death used this to his advantage. His hand glowed an eerie blue and a ghostly skull appeared from the length of his wrist to his knuckles. He threw his hand forward and a spectral version of it took hold of the princess with vice-like strength.

"Princess!" Twilight shouted as her horn lit up in a desperate attempt to think of a spell that could save her mentor from this thing. But she was too slow.

Death quickly swung his hand behind him and its spectral clone followed. Its ethereal fingers let go of the struggling alicorn and she slammed into a nearby wall, almost breaking it. Celestia struggled to stand. She could count at least three of her ribs had been broken by the impact. She groaned in pain as she got to her hooves, her body screaming at her to just lie down and rest. But she couldn't. She wouldn't. She would do everything in her power to protect her subjects. She finally got to her hooves, her battered and bloody body still screaming at her to stop her advances. The princess of the sun fixed Death with a glare that could have sent any mortal into shock. Unfortunately for her, Death was no mortal.

"Tell me where the Tree is and this senseless fighting will cease." He said as he brought his scythes in a cross formation, the same one he used when he threatened the Crowfather.

"I already told you.....I couldn't tell you even if I wanted to!" Celestia wheezed as her student rushed to her side with her horn aglow. Death pondered the meaning of her sentence for a minute. Then he realized something.

"Wait......You don't know where the Tree is?" He said and Celestia nodded. He couldn't believe this. How could an immortal not know what or where the Tree of Life was on its own homeworld? He knew that there was a Tree of Life on every world. It didn't matter if it was a tree or not. Hell, it could have been a rock for all he knew. It just existed in every world. He sheathed his scythes and looked to the sky. What was he supposed to do now? He didn't know if other Old Ones existed in the world. How was he supposed to go back to his siblings? His train of thought was interrupted by a swift kick in his side. He staggered back again and saw three ponies standing before him. Only these weren't the ponies from earlier. They wore gold armor reminiscent of the armor that Roman soldiers used thousands of years ago on the formerly beautiful Earth. Each of them held spears in their mouths that were pointed at him.

"I don't have time for you." Death grunted as he waved his hand and a murder of glowing crows appeared from nowhere and attacked the soldier ponies. They tried in vain to swat the murderous crows away, but they just continued to peck at them with rather sharp beaks. The beaks and claws dug into their armor and quickly into their skin, which began to freeze because of some dark magic infused in them. Celestia noticed this and she lifted her head.

"Death, please call off your crows!" She pleaded and the aforementioned Nephilim scoffed. With a wave oh his bony hands, the crows disappeared in a flash, leaving the injured guards alone. The guards flashed Death angry glares as he walked over to the Princess. "Death, come to Canterlot and we can discuss this. But please do not involve the ponies!" She said as she struggled to her hooves and Twilight whispered to her.

"Princess, are you crazy? You saw firsthoof what he can do. Why would you bring him to Canterlot?" She whispered and Celestia's reply was an unusual one.

"I know how dangerous he can be. But if we can discuss this in a civil manner with Luna present, I think we can help him leave." She whispered back before slowly limping towards the Nephilim. "Will you accept?" She asked, the strain in her voice very clear. Death simply grunted before answering.

"Fine. I have no other choice." He said as he folded his arms and looked towards the horizon. He then pointed at the mountain that housed Canterlot. "I assume that that is Canterlot?" He said and Celestia nodded.

"Yes. Now, I'll send for a chariot so we can-" She begins, but Death cuts her off.

"I'll get there on my own." He said and Celestia shot him a confused look. She opened her mouth to ask him how he would travel 200 miles in a day, but her opinion was silenced when she saw Death summon a necrotic horse. Death ran towards the exit of the town and he held his hand out, a green flame appearing on the ground. From the green flame came a corpse-like horse with green flames for a mane and tail. Death jumped on Despair and Celestia called out to him.

"Death!" She shouted and the Nephilim turned.

"What?" He asked with an annoyed tone.

"How do I know that you won't just run off?" She asked and Death sighed.

"Where would I go? If I knew where the Tree of Life was, I would have already been gone." He said as he galloped off, Despair leaving a trail of green fire in his wake. Twilight turned to the Princess with a worried look plastered on her face.

"Are you sure that this is a good idea?" She asked and Celestia shook her head.

"I don't know, Twilight." She said before teleporting back to Canterlot. Twilight heard groans behind her and she turned. They came from the guards who arrived earlier. They had a long flight ahead of them.