• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 5,223 Views, 120 Comments

The Pale Rider by Artemis - Apollo and Artemis



No rest for the weary. Not even for Death.

  • ...
20
 120
 5,223

Prologue

Death nodded grimly in satisfaction as the last of the demons were slain. The Horsemen didn't discriminate when they killed each race. They killed Angel and Demon alike. The Angels just got lucky. Death looked to the skies as the Angels let out cries of victory and they returned to the White City. Death strode among the corpses of angels and demons and spoke to the last survivors of his kin.
"Well, that was a good one." Death said as he kicked a corpse away from his foot.
"Yes. Although, it wasn't nearly as fun as the one with the Ravaiim." Strife admitted. The humans didn't put up much of a fight. The Horsemen fought angels and demons all the time. The third party in the Apocalypse was always what made it fun for them.

"The humans didn't last." Fury said as she dismissed her flaming whip.
"I didn't think they would." War said with his characteristic scowl. Death walked over to a building that looked like it was on the brink of falling on top of the Horsemen and found a worn black book. He opened it and turned to the last pages.
"What are you holding?" Fury asked.
"The humans' interpretation of the Apocalypse." Death replied and Fury became interested.
"Oh, how interesting." She said as she moved close to read with Death.

"Revelation 6: 1-2
And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see. And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer." Death said and he thought for a second. He looked to Strife.
"This must be you." He said laughing a little and Strife grunted as he closed his eyes and crossed his arms. Death laughed a bit and continued reading.

"Revelation 6: 3-4
And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see. And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword." Death said as he looked to War, who simply grunted. He took that as a sign to continue.

"Revelation 6: 5-6
And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine." Death said and thought for a bit. After a moment, he looked to Fury.
"They must have been talking about you. They got you all wrong." Death said and the only female Nephilim grunted in annoyance.
"Humans are ignorant." Fury simply said and Death continued.

"Revelation 6: 7-8
And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth." Death said and he sighed.
"They got me wrong as well." Death said as he closed the book.
"At least they got your name." Fury said and the other two nodded in agreement. Death walked out of the building with the other Horsemen and he called Dust. As Dust settled on his shoulder, a bluish white rune appeared underneath him. Before he could react, the rune glowed and let off a bright flash, Death disappearing on the spot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Darkness. That was all Death could see. Death slowly opened his eyes and saw that he was in a ruined throne room and there were three small figures before him.
"O, Pale Rider! Grant us your power!" The first figure said as it knelt on its forelegs.
"Did you bring me here?" Death asked and the other two nodded. Death closed his eyes and spoke.
"Well, that's all I needed to know." Death said as he drew his scythes. Before the first creature could gasp in horror, its head was forever separated from its body. The other two screamed and they tried to run, but Death was fast. Death impaled the next creature with his scythe and threw the body away. Death ran up beside the last creature and held his scythe out, the creature running into the blade headfirst, slicing its head in half. Death returned his scythes to their position on his hips and he looked around the ruined castle.
"Where am I?" Death asked himself as he headed for the door. When he reached the door, he held out his left hand; two spectral arms placing their hands on the door and pushing it open. Death looked and saw that it was night time in a dark forest. He went onward.

As he walked, he could hear the growls of feral creatures that wanted to tear their teeth and claws into him. He just let them be and eventually, they attacked. A huge beast came flying out of the trees to his right and Death simply stepped back. The beast crashed into the trees and shook its head to clear its vision. It looked like it was a mix of a lion, a scorpion and a dragon. Death let out a humorless laugh as he readied his scythes.
"I've seen insects tougher than you." The masked Nephilim taunted and the beast readied itself to pounce. Death wouldn't let the beast get the better of him. Death charged forward and stabbed one of his scythes into the beast's right paw and it wailed in agony. He ran behind the beast and slashed off its tail. Before the beast could roar in pain, Death was above it. He jumped above the beast and let the Mace of Everflame materialize in his hands. He dropped down and smashed the mace into the beast's face, completely destroying the skull in an explosion of fire. The flames of the explosion seared the trees around them. Death let the mace vanish as he retrieved his other scythe.
"Hardly a challenge." Death said as he walked deeper into the forest.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luna was in her room, finishing the paperwork for the day. As she finished, she let out a sigh of relief. She had been writing for most of the night and she needed to stretch her cooped up wings. She let the quill in her magic grasp drop onto the desk and she threw the doors of her balcony open. She walked to the edge and jumped off, opening her wings to catch herself as she neared the ground. She rocketed into the night sky and she let out a yell of joy as she broke through the clouds. It had been so long since she had just flown off into the sky with the wind whipping her cosmic mane and blowing past her face.
"It's been so long." Luna said as she settled on a cloud. She laid back and she felt the high winds blow her mane behind her. As she looked to her moon, she felt a wave of energy. It was almost impossible to feel, but it was unmistakable. Her parents had told her of this energy, but they didn't explain and simply told her that it was bad. Very bad. She immediately began to worry and she flew back to the castle to warn her sister of the possible danger.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A pony ran through the halls of the ruined castle and came to a stop in front of a large wooden door. He opened the door and a voice called out from the inside.
"Did it work?" The voice bellowed.
"Yes sir. But he has escaped." The pony said, bowing before the darkness. The creature that stood in the darkness and it flashed a fanged grin at the pony, causing it to tremble.
"That's alright. I will take care of my brother..." The creature said and it let out a deep laugh that sounded throughout the castle and into the night.

Author's note: Hey guys. School is really getting annoying. Please forgive me if it isn't good.