• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 6,603 Views, 406 Comments

My Little Pony vs .......... - Ecthelion_Yuda



The mane six duel to the death with some of the greatest fighters and monsters ever.

  • ...
33
 406
 6,603

Fluttershy vs the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

The portal deposited Fluttershy roughly in the middle of a barren wasteland. The sky was granite grey, with the hulking storm clouds swirling and drifting menacingly above. The turbulent sky was mirrored almost exactly by the land. Mountains sprang forth from the land, a law unto themselves, each one threateningly craggy and steep. Shale and loose stones lay scattered about the ground, like poisoned sprinkles on a rotted cake. A gentle rain of ash alluded to the presence of a volcano somewhere in the vicinity, but Fluttershy couldn’t pinpoint exactly where. Above everything, the arena was freezing cold. Fluttershy shivered violently as a breeze sliced through her as easily as a knife through melted butter. Her breath steamed in front of her face as she made her way forward towards the nearest ridge.

A tear rolled uncontrolled down her cheek. Spike? Sweetie Belle? That couldn’t have happened, surely. Fluttershy wretched and was grateful that she had nothing in her belly to throw up. She could still hear the horrifying sound of Twilight shrieking as she realised what was happening to Spike. Fluttershy’s fragile sensibilities shattered and she threw herself down on the stony ground, wailing like a banshee. She was furious about everything that was happening, horrified at herself for the cruelties she had enacted on others, deeply upset for what had happened to Sweetie Belle and Spike, but more than anything she was scared. It was an awesome, all-encompassing terror that chilled her to the core, more so than any wind ever could. She was terrified of what new fiend would be presented to her as an opponent, whether she would emerge victorious or…

But worse still was the fear for her friends, and of her friends. Everyone was going through a similar ordeal, but they were changing as ponies in very different ways. As Pinkie Pie was duelling Derpy, it was obvious that she hated what she was doing. Yet there had been a gleam in her eye, a twitch in her lip that relished the motions of combat. Pinkie Pie had hated fighting Derpy, but she had also undoubtedly enjoyed the anticipation of murder.
Fluttershy remembered her own reaction to the brawl with the Gremlins that had been her second fight. Mingled fear and pain had warped her mind and given rise to a far crueller, more deadly being. She had relished the feeling of controlling and subsequently ending them, one by one. If she allowed that to happen again, if she allowed that side of her to take control another time, she wasn’t sure she’d ever truly recover from it.

Attempting to hold herself together, Fluttershy staggered onward. She wasn’t sure whether she wanted to find her foe or not, but if she didn’t keep moving, the odds were that she wouldn’t be able to again for quite some time. The stones shifted under her hooves uncomfortably, but she kept going. The ridge revealed a valley below; just as inhospitable as the rest of the area, but as she looked closer Fluttershy was able to make out the dark entrance of a cave. Whether it was a fully-fledged tunnel or just a cave, empty or occupied, Fluttershy couldn’t tell at this distance, but at least it was a potential shelter from the icy bite of the wind.

“I wouldn’t be so hasty if I were you, little pony.”

Fluttershy jumped and barely managed to stifle a scream. Beside her stood a man, short by human standards but still taller than Fluttershy. Everything about him was ugly, from his old twisted face, to his filthy black furs. In fact, his clothes were so ragged and filthy that he resembled more beast than man. Attached to his head were two curly, mismatched horns.

“That tunnel there be guarded by a ferocious beastie!”

His voice was high pitched and it grated in his throat as though he spoke through pebbles, lodged in his neck. There was undeniable urgency in his tone, but there was a mad glint in his black eyes that really put Fluttershy on edge. There was something strange about him, something in the way he stood, or the way he spoke that was disconcertingly familiar. Fluttershy didn’t know if she should start running away, or pay closer attention to this bizarre creature. Before she could make up her mind, he stretched out a hand and pointed beyond her into the canyon below.

“Look missy, look. There it is! The fearsome beast itself!”

Fluttershy stared down at the cave, unsure of what it was she was supposed to be looking at. The man beside her was clearly terrified of it, but she couldn’t see anything. Was her opponent invisible? For one horrifying instant, Fluttershy considered the prospect of having to fight another creature akin to the Weeping Angels. Before too long, her gaze focussed on a little white shape, ambling lazily across the stones. It took her less than a second to recognise the shape of a rabbit. Instinctively, Fluttershy gasped and took off, only to come thudding back down to the ground when the man beside her grabbed the end of her tail.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Fluttershy demanded. “There’s something down there, and I have to save that cute little bunny, now let me go!”

“That’s no more a bunny than I am missy,” the man replied, harsher than Fluttershy would have liked. His mouth was turned into a comical kind of frown. “Listen here, little pony, and listen well. That rabbit has wiped out entire armies. That rabbit has slain knights, lords and kings as easy as peasants. That rabbit guards the way to the Holy Grail. That rabbit is the deadliest monster I have ever laid my eyes on. That rabbit, is the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog!”

Fluttershy almost laughed out loud at the prospect. What sort of madness was this fool spouting? Killer rabbits? The very idea was ridiculous. Fluttershy had spent her entire life since arriving in Ponyville caring for bunnies, nursing bunnies, learning about bunnies, talking to bunnies, loving bunnies, playing with bunnies and not even once had she ever encountered (or even heard of) a killer bunny. Bunny rabbits were cute, snuggly, adorable, occasionally bad tempered, but they were not homicidal. As she watched the lazy amblings of the “killer bunny,” Fluttershy found herself relaxing little by little. How could anyone ever be scared of a little bunny rabbit?

Seemingly sensing her doubt, the man released his grip on her tail. Fluttershy wondered if the madman on the mountain beside her was her true opponent and he had just been trying to throw her off the scent. Without a word, Fluttershy beat her wings and gently glided down into the valley. She flicked her slender yellow wings a little to make sure that she landed softly and she touched down about twenty feet away from the rabbit, making sure not to startle it. She made herself as small as she possibly could and slowly crept towards the rabbit, whispering soft phrases like “hello new friend” and “don’t worry, I’m not going to hurt you.”

When she was fifteen feet away, the bunny looked up at her. Fluttershy stopped, worried that she had frightened the poor thing, but she couldn’t see any fear in the rabbits eyes. It seemed that it was just aware of her, no more and no less. Fluttershy felt that that was a little bit strange, but it didn’t matter. Judging from the environment, the poor thing probably hadn’t encountered another living being, so it was probably just curious, interested to know what this weird pink and yellow whispering thing was. She crept closer and closer, and the rabbit never once took its eyes off of her.

When Fluttershy reached a distance of ten feet, things began to get very strange. The rabbit began to hiss at her in a way that Fluttershy had never heard an animal hiss before. It wasn’t a nervous hiss that might be designed to deter a predator, it was deeper, angrier. There was a rage bubbling through the hiss that completely terrified Fluttershy.

One more step and the rabbit flew at her, pouncing like a timber wolf on a deer. Fluttershy started and instinctively thrust herself into the air. There was a horrifying crunch as the rabbits teeth hit stone. To Fluttershy’s horror, the bunny tore clean through the rock, turning it to a small powdery pile of rubble. In an instant, the rabbit hopped around and launched itself at Fluttershy, snarling hideously. The pegasus flashed her hoof out just in time to catch the rabbit on the head and intercept the attack. Without another moment’s hesitation, Fluttershy bolted back to her ridge on the mountain.

What was happening to reality? Bunnies didn’t kill ponies in real life, they didn’t snarl like wolverines or have jaws that could break through stones. They just didn’t! They were cute and fluffy and they represented everything that was lovely and enjoyable about the world…
And what if this is what passes for lovely now.
Fluttershy shook the thought from her head. She would not allow herself to lose control again. Not again. She didn’t like the cruel pony that wore her skin when she stopped being strong enough to hold her back. Fluttershy was the spirit of Kindness, that thing was not. But even as she tried to force the darker presence back into her subconscious, her gaze passed over the valley where the killer rabbit was waiting.

She hadn’t noticed before, but the whole valley was filled with occasional splashes of colour. Reds, blues, greens, yellows, purples, a kaleidoscope of grim and dusty finery. Shields with impressive patterns and sigils emblazoned on them stuck jaggedly out from between the stones, like small new mountains mimicking the ones around them. Surcoats, torn and tattered, slapped at the wind. Rings of mail and slabs of strong plate armour scattered the valley. An army of skeletons, all fallen victims of the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. Their bones littered the ground, cracked by time and teeth alike. Crimson roses speckled the tunics and surcoats, telling tales of how their wearers fell. The number of bodies was absolutely staggering. All of these men had been trained, armed and armoured, yet the rabbit tore through them as though they were little more than air.

Do you honestly believe that you can survive this thing without me?
Fluttershy didn’t fight back so hard this time.
Look at you, you’re absolutely pathetic. The only reason that you’re still alive at this stage is because I’ve had to come in at the eleventh hour and kill everyone for you. You haven’t the strength to do it yourself. Do you want to die?
Begrudgingly, Fluttershy shook her head.
Very good. But you will die, you know, if you try and take on the demonic rabbit again. You’re not strong enough, not even close. You lack the will and drive to kill, and so, you lack the desire to live.
Fluttershy knew it was true. She barely made it out of her last encounter with the rabbit alive. She wasn’t sure how she could possibly survive this.

I can help you fight again, if you want me to. I don’t want to die either, but unlike you, I’m not afraid to do what needs to be done to keep that from happening. To be honest, I couldn’t really care less whether or not you lived or died, but as long as I’m here I need you. You die, I die. Understand?
Fluttershy nodded. “So what do you want me to do?”
That’s very very simple. All you need to do is submit to me, let me inside your head and I will give you all the strength you need to get through this.

Fluttershy wasn’t sure. She hated the cruel voice that whispered in her head. She hated what it told her to do, what it told her to think. It had always been there, ever since she could remember, telling her that she was pathetic, worthless. It goaded her and insulted her and for most of her life she had listened and believed it. It had told her she was a useless flier and unfit to interact with other ponies. All she was good for was dealing with animals, far away from everyone else. She had let the voice govern her whole life, but she had never allowed it to possess her, not after what happened with her parents. All it had taken was for Fluttershy to allow the voice to enter her mind and when she awoke her parents were nowhere to be found. That had been eleven years ago, but she still had no idea where they were or what had happened to them. All she did know was that the voice had something to do with it.

However, she had seen what could happen if her concentration lapsed and she unintentionally let the voice in for a while. It had destroyed Katniss, when all Fluttershy could do was run away. It had eliminated the gremlins too. The voice was able to survive in a place like this, and it was capable of keeping her alive too. Perhaps, at this stage, keeping herself alive was what she should be really caring about. The voice could do things that Fluttershy couldn’t even dream of. It could fight, it could kill, it could survive. She understood that the voice needed her to stay alive too. They may not like each other, but they relied on one another to stay alive. Maybe, just this once in this arena, the enemy of her enemy was her friend?

Fluttershy felt the tendrils of shadow beginning to squirm inside her head as she released her restraints and granted the voice full access to her mind.
Good choice she heard the voice say as it slipped in and took full control…

And then she was awake again. Rather, she was returned to a state of being whole. Fluttershy looked around her but nothing was different. The whole place appeared the same, but something had undoubtedly changed. The scenery was as bland and drab as ever, but it wasn’t something there that was different, it was Fluttershy. The eyes that now looked at the world were fresh and new, different to those that had first seen this place. She was still Fluttershy, but a different Fluttershy to the one the world had come to know. This one was stronger, more confidant and most importantly, deadlier. This was the Fluttershy that had been hidden away from the world, everything that was not part of the element of Kindness and locked behind the mind of her more innocent self. In many ways, a stranger in familiar clothes, but in many ways this was the true Fluttershy. The product of every repressed feeling she had ever had since the day she could talk. This was Fluttershy with rage and fury left in. And new Fluttershy had a few things that needed sorting out, starting with that monstrosity that dared to call itself a rabbit.

Fluttershy strode down into the valley, no longer shivering. She felt the cold still, but it didn’t bother her. The adrenaline in her veins was warmth enough for her. Almost on cue, the rabbit hopped out from behind a rock and once again it stared at her, just accepting her presence. Never taking her eyes off of it, Fluttershy kept marching forward, never dropping speed. As the rabbit started growling, Fluttershy lowered her head and growled right back. The rabbit seemed unphased by this new development and just kept growling. Fluttershy didn’t slow down, she just kept walking.

“Any second now,” she thought to herself. “Any second, he’ll jump at me, that’s when I make my move.”
Sure enough, after another few steps, the rabbit leapt at Fluttershy with ferocious speed. But it wasn’t fast enough, as Fluttershy dashed forward and barrel rolled under the rabbit. Her hind hooves shot out and slammed into the understandably confused killer rabbit. It was a variation on a technique she had used on Hank the Bear before during his physiotherapy, so she was fairly well practised in it. The rabbit landed surprisingly heavily about three feet away, but it was on its feet again almost instantly. Clearly this bunny would take a little bit more persuading before it would just lie down and accept its fate. That didn’t matter too much though, Fluttershy was going to enjoy this.

The pegasus rolled quickly back onto her hooves and extended her wings, knocking a small cloud of dust and pebbles from her feathers. The rabbit glared at her before charging at her, loping clumsily as bunnies do. Fluttershy smiled and pounded her wings, hurling herself at the rabbit. Her hooves were faster than the rabbit’s fangs, and she was able to drive the miserable rodent into the ground before it had the chance to bite her. The rabbit coughed loudly as the air fled its body under the force of the impact. Fluttershy dragged the rabbit along the ground for a while, before slamming her front hoof into its face.

The first attack made contact beautifully. Her hoof smashed violently into the rabbits oversized head, sending a spray of blood from the monster’s nose. The second hit was not so successful. Her hoof flew once again at the head of the rabbit, going for the kill shot. But the rabbit somehow managed to temporarily dislocate its jaw, and caught the first three inches of the hoof in its mouth. Before Fluttershy had a chance to react the rabbit bit down, hard. Skin, flesh and muscle separated as easily as dry sand. The bone cracked and splintered until it too gave way.

Howling in rage and agony, Fluttershy yanked back her hoof, scattering shreds of skin and flecks of bone along with a thick splash of blood. A full three inches of her left hoof had been bitten off. What remained was a bloody mess at the end of her leg. A mess that was still bleeding rather heavily. She leapt back using her wings and roared with pain. Slowly, the rabbit got up and spat out the end of Fluttershy’s hoof. It’s jaw had returned to the appropriate size, but the rabbit was certainly in bad shape. It was covered in blood, and not all of it was from Fluttershy’s leg. It was covered in deep scratches from when Fluttershy had dragged him across the ground. It was concussed and had almost certainly broken a few bones, as well as the ones in its face. Fluttershy definitely had the upper hoof, so to speak. The rabbit would not be able to put up much more of a fight.

Between her remaining front hoof and her mouth, Fluttershy picked up a large sword from one of the skeletons on the ground. It was dull and rusty, but it would do the job. Using all of the strength she could, Fluttershy flew straight at the rabbit. The rabbit was too sluggish from its concussion to react in time, and the sword struck it clean in the face. Fluttershy kept flying, dragging the sword along. When she was sure that the rabbit was dead, she let the blade fall to the ground with a heavy clang.

Fluttershy turned to inspect the damage, and she liked what she saw. The sword had sliced the rabbit in half, from nose to tail, but the bottom half had refused to come apart so easily, so there was a bright trail of brain, blood and internal organs stretching from the initial point of impact. The portal opened up in front of Fluttershy, and as she made her way towards it she eagerly awaited her next chance to prove herself, and to try out her new found killer instincts. More importantly, she wanted to thank Nightmare Moon, Discord and Chrysalis for giving her this opportunity. And no thanks seemed more appropriate than tearing their heads off of their bodies.

Before Fluttershy left, she tore off the rabbit's front left paw.
“For luck,” she sneered before moving on to her next victim…

Author's Note:

Well, this one ended in a very different way to when I started it. This was going to be a shorter fight, but it ended up being more of a lynchpin moment in the story. Fluttershy huh? Always the quiet ones I guess. Anyway, no clue yet as to who the next fight is going to be, but I hope you are all enjoying this...