• Published 30th Dec 2011
  • 8,017 Views, 382 Comments

Hearts Aflutter - NotHereAnymoreProbably



Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash begin to realise the true depths of their friendship - and their love.

  • ...
12
 382
 8,017

Chapter 6 - Daybreak

Hearts Aflutter - Chapter 6
Daybreak

She awoke slowly, from probably the deepest sleep she’d ever had, to a pair of tender hooves around her, a pair of large magenta eyes gazing deep into hers, tears threatening to pour out like rain – and then they did, disappearing into her own mane. She could feel the dampness beginning to seep throughout it, but for some reason she didn’t mind.

She looked around, seeing most of her friends standing at the foot of her bed, a large pile of opened presents littering a small table, around an enormous blue cake. She realised that she was in a hospital room – she didn’t know why, but she was sure her friends would tell her.

It was then Fluttershy realised that the eyes had belonged to Rainbow Dash, and that Rainbow was crying.

Why is she crying?

“R... Rainbow?” she asked.

"Hey, 'Shy," Rainbow replied, sobbing a little.

"Wh...What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Rainbow sniffed. “Nothing at all.”

“A-Are you sure?” she asked, not sure whether to believe her. She was crying so hard...

“Nothing could possibly be better,” Dash replied, squeezing Fluttershy a little closer.

“Then... Why are you crying?” she asked, laying a hoof on Rainbow's shoulder.

“Because there’s something I should have told you so long ago, but I never did while I had the chance – and now I can try again.”

Those beautiful violet eyes came back into view, looking deep into her own, still pouring tears – but Rainbow was smiling! She definitely wasn’t sad, but... what...?

“I love you, Fluttershy,” Rainbow said, lowering her forehead to touch Fluttershy’s. “I love you.”

The world stopped moving.

Suddenly, Rainbow’s hooves around her weren’t just tender – they were loving. Her tears weren’t happy or sad – they were rapturous. Her face was not even a breath away.

“You... love me?” she whispered, blushing heavily. “You... really...?”

Suddenly, this wasn’t just Rainbow Dash embracing her as a friend – this was Rainbow Dash holding her as a lover.

“Like nopony else, ‘Shy. I love you.”

Suddenly, it didn’t matter that her friends were watching, or that she didn’t remember anything after leaving Rarity’s, or that she didn’t know why she was in the hospital. She could see the fear in Dash’s eyes, and knew that what she did now could break her.

She’d never dream of it. Fluttershy tenderly rose from the bed. Just slightly, ever so slightly – but that rise was all she needed.

Her lips met Rainbow’s, so softly, so gently – but that single touch was everything. She saw Rainbow’s surprise and fear melt away as her best friend, her lover, fell into the kiss at last. It seemed like the whole world was watching them, but for once, Fluttershy didn’t care.

She and Rainbow Dash were together.

They separated at last, flushing red as they saw the other four mares staring – some slack-jawed, others grinning, and one who was trying not to cry.

They all rushed forward then, headlong into a joyous group hug. who joined the embrace laughing and poking fun at the two.

After so long, it was all okay again.

Pinkie Pie told one of her highest-tier jokes, and Applejack laughed raucously, nearly falling off her seat. Rarity, too, was beside herself, her dainty image slipping further and further away as she laughed, her sense of self-image nearly completely washed away by the sheer delight of the moment. Even Twilight couldn’t hold herself back, allowing herself to laugh like she hadn’t since she was a filly. Fluttershy giggled, her voice timid as always, but she could still be heard.

But above the laughter, there was silence – for Rainbow Dash, it was a moment of sheer ecstasy, and all she needed was a smile.

Fluttershy was back. All was right with the world.

Eventually they broke off, gathering around the sides while Rainbow snuggled up besides ‘Shy, who moved over to accommodate her.

“It’s so good to have you back, Fluttershy,” Twilight said, heading back to her seat.

“Yeah! And now we can have a party for Dashie’s birthday and you waking up and you guys being in loooooooooove!” Pinkie cried, dancing around the room until a scathing look from Nurse Redheart stopped her.

Fluttershy barely registered any of it. She was still caught up in the afterglow of her first kiss - she met Rainbow’s eye for a few seconds before they both broke off, blushing heavily, before looking fleetingly back again.

I can’t believe I just did that... but I did! I was so assertive! And it was so... nice.

Rainbow actually loved her too? It seemed impossible, but it was no lie – the way she’d kissed her back just now left no room for ambiguity.
She reached over and held Dash’s hoof, making sure it wasn’t just a dream – but no, she was there alright.

“Hey, where’d that Zecora go? We oughta thank her fer makin’ that potion thingy.”

Twilight leaned over and whispered something in her ear, and Applejack mouthed, “Oh,” saying nothing more on the matter.

Rarity cleared her throat politely, getting everypony’s attention. “Well, now that we’re all here,” she said, looking at Fluttershy with a jovial twinkle in her eye, “We must bid Rainbow Dash a happy birthday, and then have some cake!”

“Oh, yeah, I totally forgot about the cake! Even though I spent all morning making it, and the frosting was so hard to put on, and then I had to put Dashie’s face on the top, and then Gummy ate the top half, so I had to make it all again, and then we got here, and Fluttershy woke up, and-”

“Ah think we get it, Sugarcube,” Applejack interrupted. “Now how’s about we get to singin’?”

Pinkie led the proceedings, repeatedly being quietened by the Nurse, who insisted that the hospital, like a library, is a sacred place, not to be disturbed by loud noises. Pieces of cake were distributed quickly, Fluttershy’s stomach rumbling loudly at the sight of what was surely one of Pinkie’s masterpieces.

“Aw, shucks,” Dash muttered, rustling her mane.

Rarity looked at her indignantly for so quickly destroying the spa ponies’ work, but quickly relented. “Oh, of course! How could I have forgotten?” She gathered everypony around, pulling out a sheet of paper, showcasing the new design she’d based off of Rainbow Dash earlier.

“What is it?” Pinkie asked. “It looks so pretty!”

This,” she replied, “Is to be Rainbow Dash’s other birthday present! Belated, of course,” she added, stashing the papers away again. “Oh, and besides her earlier time at the spa.”

This caught Fluttershy’s attention more than the dress’ design had – which had been absolutely breathtaking. “Rainbow went to the spa?”

“Hay yeah I did!” she exclaimed, earning a look from Redheart, who was content to sit in the corner, munching happily on a piece of cake. “I mean, uh. Yeah. I did. It was pretty cool.”

Fluttershy had thought she’d noticed something different about Rainbow since she’d woken up, but she’d passed it off as a trick of the light, or a result of the nice big sleep she’d had... or something.

“Only pretty cool, Rainbow? Surely you’ve looked in a mirror since earlier today!” Rarity’s eyes twinkled. “Doesn’t she simply shine?

Fluttershy nodded agreement, causing Rainbow to blush. It was definitely a nice improvement.

Suddenly, she felt like something was out of place, or missing. When it came to her, she gasped. “Oh no, oh my, um... Oh, this isn’t good...”

Everypony looked at her in sudden concern, including Nurse Redheart, who was suddenly right by her side.
“What is it? Does something hurt?”

“Oh, um, no... It’s just that...” She blushed. “I... I didn’t get Rainbow anything...”

Her friends heaved sighs of relief, and then began laughing. Rainbow nuzzled her softly. “‘Shy, you already did!”

“Huh? But, what-”

“You woke up. You got better.” Dash held her hoof again, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek, which reddened said cheek immensely.

But... why would that be a good birthday present? Oh, but what if... no, that wouldn’t be... How about... oh, no, not that either...

Suddenly, a thought struck her.

Rainbow’s birthday shouldn’t be for months yet! Why would they be celebrating it so early?

“Um... everypony...”

“What’s wrong, Sugarcube? Ya don’t have to worry ‘bout gettin’ RD a present, if that’s what you’re wonderin’”

“It’s... not that,” she said. “Well, what I’m wondering is... oh... Don’t worry. It isn’t important.”

“Oh, don’t be silly, Fluttershy! You can ask us anything.”

“Well, um... okay.” She took a deep breath. “What happened? Why am I in hospital, and why is it Rainbow Dash’s birthday three months early?”

Dash stiffened, and Fluttershy didn’t miss the concerned glances their friends sent her way. It was at this point that Nurse Redheart spoke up again.

“What’s the last thing you remember before waking up?”

“Oh, well, I was just leaving Rarity’s house, after we talked about... Um... Me and Rainbow.”

The Nurse turned to Rarity. “When would this have been?”

“That would be just a few moments before... the accident,” Rarity said, her eyes growing somber.

“Please, Nurse, just tell me. I’ll be okay.”

Redheart sighed, unsure where to begin. She decided that she’d leave the storytelling to her friends, and told Fluttershy only of the injuries she’d acquired in the accident.

Her eyes widened. “But... Wouldn’t injuries like those be...”

“Fatal, yes,” the Nurse finished. “They nearly were.”

“But then, they should have taken a long time to heal,” Fluttershy said insistently. She wasn’t sure she liked where this was going, but she had to find out.

“They did, Fluttershy. Today is Rainbow Dash’s birthday, exactly three months and two days after... an accident, in which you nearly died, except for the efforts of Rainbow herself.” Fluttershy was too shocked to notice the grateful smile Rainbow gave Nurse Redheart.

Three... months? But how could I have...

“No...”

“Fluttershy,” Rainbow said, crying just a little, wrapping her hooves around the yellow pegasus. “You’ve been in a coma for three months.”

It was too much – she dropped like a piano into Dash’s embrace, her head lolling onto the blue mare’s shoulder.

Rainbow held her for what seemed like an eternity. When she finally decided that she’d merely fainted, Dash laid Fluttershy carefully back onto the bed, tucking the blankets around her.

She wiped her eyes and returned to where her friends stood watching, all of them teary-eyed themselves.

“Thanks for the help,” she said to the Nurse, who nodded.

“And you guys,” she said, enveloping all of her friends in a Pinkie-esque hug, “Are the best friends anypony could ever have.”

---

Fluttershy woke up again, this time alone.

Looking out her window, she could see the grey, twilit skies, calm and serene in the pre-dawn light. By her bedside, she noticed a bouquet of flowers on the table - her stomach grumbled loudly, and she wondered how long she’d been out this time.

Taking the bouquet, she breathed deeply – then sneezed softly. She supposed that three months must have made her nose unused to pollen. She took a rose from the arrangement, chewing thoughtfully.

Three months was a long time to be gone. So many things could change, and so much could have happened that she wasn’t even awake to see...

Oh, and what about Angel Bunny, and Chip Squirrel, and...

No. Her friends would have made sure they were okay – they must have!

She looked back out the window, absently taking a red carnation from the bouquet. Rainbow...
She could still feel the caress of her hooves, the touch of their lips on each others’ - she smiled. The sun peeked over the horizon just as Fluttershy began to feel drowsy again. She was asleep by the time it rose in full.

And Rainbow Dash, perched in a tree overlooking Fluttershy’s window, began to fly back to the cottage, satisfied that Fluttershy didn’t freak out when she woke up alone.

She’d been up all night watching over her, ready to jump in the moment ‘Shy needed her. She’d had a whole arsenal of comforts prepared, but they didn't seem to be necessary.

She smiled as she got into her own bed, glad that she wasn’t needed – that Fluttershy had some inner strength of her own, as well. It was good to remember that.

---

“Fluttershy, it’s time to wake up!” somepony called.

She opened her eyes, squinting at the light. It was about noon now, judging by the brightness. Her second normal day in three months.

“Oh, hello Nurse Redheart,” she said. “What brings you here?”

“Well, this is a hospital,” the mare said, laying her clipboard down on a bench in the room. Fluttershy mentally chided herself for her silliness. Of course she’d be here.

“It’s time for a routine check-up – now that you’re awake, we need to determine if there are any extraneous injuries that slipped through our checks while you were out, as well as any potential damage to your psyche. I’ll be asking you a variety of questions about your physical and mental state, which you should try to answer to the best of your abilities.”

Fluttershy nodded, and the Nurse began, asking routine questions such as “Do you feel at all in pain or uncomfortable?” or “What’s the last thing you remember before waking up yesterday?”
A one or two had been addressed the night before, but for procedure’s sake they had to be asked again.

A short while later, the mare laid down the clipboard, apparently finished with her questions. “And now we come to the hard part – I’m sure you have some questions of your own,” the mare said.

She nodded. “Well, um... What really happened? What was the accident?”

“You and Rainbow Dash had a very serious accident – from what she’s told us, you were hit while she was performing a Sonic Rainboom.” She paused. “As I said last night, your injuries were quite nearly fatal.”

She could see why they didn’t tell her this last night - she’d been shocked enough just hearing she’d been comatose for three months. Nevertheless, that didn’t stop her being shocked now.

“A Sonic... Rainboom?”

“I’m afraid so.”

“But then... was Rainbow hurt?”

“Not so much physically as she was emotionally.”

Fluttershy paused for a moment, pondering the possible reactions Rainbow might have had.
Knowing her, she probably wouldn’t think it was an accident.

“She barely left your side once while you were asleep, except to take care of your animals and a weather job every now and then. Even after visiting hours, she always managed to sneak back in – I’d find her here in the mornings in that chair right there, covered in blankets and cushions. She wanted to be right here when you woke up. Luckily, that didn't last too long - she moved into your place a couple of months ago.”

She did all that...? Even taking care of all my little friends? But... why?

“I love you, Fluttershy,” she’d said. But hadn’t Dash always said she didn’t think of mares like that? Had that really changed, or was it just a reaction?

Does she feel guilty? Oh no... maybe I got to tell her, and then she crashed into me? Oh no... is Rainbow’s love just a way of making it up to me for the accident?

Oh no...

“Fluttershy, it’s time we had a talk,” Nurse Redheart said, breaking her out of her reverie.

That sounded scary. “Um, okay...” she peeped.

“We’ll be releasing you from the hospital tomorrow morning. There is no point keeping you here when all of your injuries have been healed.”

“Oh, well, um, that’s alright. It sounded like you had something bad to say,” she replied, relieved.

The Nurse’s face fell, and Fluttershy realised her assumption had been correct. “We’ll need you to come back within the week with an answer to the question I’m about to ask you. Your wings were damaged during the accident as well. You’ve been in bed the whole time you’ve been awake, so you probably didn’t notice, but... well, come on out of bed, and try your them out.”

Tenderly, Fluttershy slipped out of the covers and set hoof on the floor. She wobbled slightly, unused to the feeling after so long, but steadied herself eventually. Then she tried to move her wings, expecting them to unfurl easily – but they didn’t.

At all.

“Your wings were heavily injured in the accident, and the nerves were damaged, rendering them unusable. There is also some muscular atrophy in the wings due to three months of disuse."

“You mean...?”

The Nurse nodded. “You were never a strong flier, but right now you aren’t one at all.”

“There is an operation you can undergo, which can fix the nerves using magic - but it is a very painful process. Then, after that, you would still have to exercise them to regain their strength, and also... you would have to learn to fly all over again. The rehabilitation will be very difficult, very painful, and very long - so now, you have to make a choice.”

“Would you rather live like an earth pony, or a pegasus?”

---

“Come on, girls!” Pinkie shouted gleefully, bouncing around them in a decidedly silly attempt to get them to come with her to the hospital, where she planned to glomp Fluttershy in another huge group hug, like the one from the night before.

Despite their slight annoyance at her antics, her friends were glad. They’d never realised it until it was gone, but it turned out that Pinkie Pie’s crazy behaviour was as relaxing as it was stressful – it always brought them a laugh, whether they wanted one or not.
Over the months previous, that had been missing. She could hide it under a mask, but they knew that she’d been much more torn by the incident with Rainbow than she let on - but everything was alright now.

This Pinkie was the Pinkie they remembered. This Pinkie, that could do anything. This Pinkie, that could laugh in the face of... well, everything, really. This Pinkie, that could stay cheerful, no matter what happened, and cheer anypony else up too.

This Pinkie, that was now tying them together with a rope, hanging them off her hot-air balloon and taking to the air, despite their cries of alarm, and soon landing on the hospital’s roof.

Clearly, this Pinkie, that was also a little impatient.

---

Fluttershy was startled by the sound of five ponies crashing through her door, immediately followed by the weight of five ponies pressing her further into the bed.

Nurse Redheart tsked, but stood to the side, hiding a laugh at their antics. She smiled and left the room - maybe Fluttershy’s friends could help her figure out what to do.

“Hey Fluttershy, look!” Pinkie cried, producing a box of cupcakes. “Remember when I nearly blew up the gas oven in Sugarcube Corner, and then the Cakes said I couldn’t use it for a month, but I managed to make some good cupcakes anyway because Poundy’s puke didn’t get on them?”

“Oh, um, yes,” replied the flustered mare from beneath a pile of her best friends.

“Well I made more! Lookie!” She opened the box, showcasing the cupcakes for everyone to see. Inside the box were six cupcakes, each decorated generously with frosting to match the mares they were based on. They even had sprinkles shaped like their Cutie Marks, giving them an edible flair which rose far above even Pinkie’s usual standards.

As she handed them out, Fluttershy had an idea.

“Um, Rainbow Dash,” she asked, “if you want to...”

“Yeah? What is it?” Dash replied, urging her on.

“Do you maybe... want to swap cupcakes with me? Um, it’s okay if you don’t...”

Rainbows laughed, handing hers over and taking Fluttershy’s.

“Aren’t they so cute together?” Twilight whispered to Pinkie.

“Oh yeah – they’re cuter than Appmffm mmf mmfmffm!” Pinkie replied, shoving a hoof in her mouth to keep herself from spilling a secret.

Fluttershy giggled and took a bite of her cupcake, wondering idly at the butterfly sprinkles on it. Maybe some had dropped off of hers during the exchange? Still, they looked remarkably well placed for a coincidence.

As the mares chatted, filling her in on some of the goings-on during her absence, she found herself constantly drawn back to something Nurse Redheart had said.

“Not so much physically as she was emotionally.”

What had happened while she was recovering? It sounded like Rainbow had been hurt pretty badly by the accident.
She hadn’t missed the subtle avoidance of the subject – every time somepony said anything regarding the incident, they’d brush over the details, or simply change the topic entirely. It was like they wanted to forget it.

Something bad had happened, she was sure... But... how bad?

Do I even want to know?

Yes. Yes she did. She had to.

“Um... Girls,” she said.

They all paused and looked towards her, waiting for her to continue.

She took a deep breath. “Um... would you... I mean, you don’t have to, if you don’t want to talk about it, but...”

“Aw, come on, ‘Shy. You know we ain’t got nothin’ to hide.”

She nodded. “Okay... Um, would you please tell me what really happened while I was gone?”

Rarity sighed. “It had to be asked eventually – it’s better that she find out from us.”

“I suppose it would be best to give you some context, darling. You remember the day I came to Ponyville, yes? When I was grieving over my brother’s death?”

Fluttershy remembered – Rarity had moved here from Fillydelphia not too long after Fluttershy had. Their whole friendship had begun with a simple hug and some kind words.

“Well, Rainbow Dash, after the accident, was feeling much the same as I was back then. The whole thing went far too quickly for me to have helped, unfortunately - I’d planned to go and see her as soon as possible, but the very night after the accident, she was released from hospital. I didn’t see her again until after... certain other events.”

Fluttershy had a basic idea now - back then, Rarity had felt like the world was against her. It had been her fault that her brother died, she’d once said, and that everypony hated her for it. She’d wanted to make it right somehow, any way possible, and it had taken some time for her to help Rarity realise that it had not been her fault. If Rainbow had felt like that too...

“It was worse for me though,” Dash said. “I’m the Element of Loyalty. It was my fault that you were hurt, so it was like I betrayed you. I got so angry, I started thinking things I probably shouldn’t have, doing things I definitely shouldn’t have. After I got released from the hospital, I basically went on a rampage – I wanted to make it up to you so badly that I started doing to myself everything I thought I’d done to you.”

Fluttershy was speechless as Dash listed the things she’d done, from destroying her house to breaking her own wing.

“It was Pinkie who stopped me from breaking the other one, but...” She looked away. “I hurt her, and it wasn’t even an accident this time. I really did betray her.”

“It’s alright, Dashie,” Pinkie said, her large round eyes brimming with tears. “Everything’s okay now.”

Fluttershy laid her hoof over Dash’s, silently urging her to continue.

“Then Ah beat her up!” Applejack put in cheerfully.

She shot a double-take at the grinning earth pony, unable to tell if she was serious or not.

“Eeyup! Set ‘er back on the right track with a swift kick in the flank. And a few punches too.”

“B-bu-but... Why?”

Applejack’s expression turned serious. ‘Trust me, Sugarcube, if it weren’t necessary, Ah wouldn’t have done it – but RD was in a bad way, and she needed some tough love. ‘Sides, after what she did to Pinkie...”

“I deserved it,” Dash said. “But that was it - that was the end.”

She then went on to tell her about how she’d apologised to everypony – Twilight mentioned that about that point was when she’d discovered the potion which had woken her up – and also how Rarity had helped her overcome her guilt.

“Actually... I really only got over that yesterday.”

Everything was silent for a while.

So much had happened... all because of her?

No, no - of course not. Not because of me, just... but I could have done something better... right? Oh, isn’t there any way I could have saved them so much pain?

“Fluttershy, don’t cry,” Rainbow said, stroking her mane and nuzzling her. “I know what you’re thinking, but it’s all over now, all in the past. Let me tell you what you told me, when I was feeling down - It was an accident, and accidents leave no room for blame.

She sniffed. “I know... It’s just...”

“Hey, come here,” Dash said, holding her close. Rather than let her cry, however, Pinkie decided that all the sad parts were over and stood up on her chair, preparing to tell a joke – but her hoof slipped, and she went tumbling to the floor, laughing the whole way down.

Through her tears, Fluttershy giggled. She knew Pinkie had fallen on purpose just to cheer them all up. Though she’d seen real sadness in her eyes throughout the conversation, the mare seemed to have accepted what happened and moved on. No matter what, she was always still the same old Pinkie – she’d never fail to earn a few laughs.

---

Nurse Redheart came a while later, telling them that they’d all have to leave soon to let her have some rest.

Given the things she wanted to talk to Rainbow Dash about in private, Fluttershy decided, just this once, to impose on them just a little.

“Um... girls...” she mumbled, looking away. “Um... If it’s okay with you, would you mind very much if you gave Rainbow and I a little... time together?”

“Oh, but of course!” Rarity said, hiding a wide smile behind her hoof. “Don’t let us take up your precious time together.”

The other girls said their goodbyes and left, leaving Rainbow and Fluttershy alone together. Dash laid down next to her, holding her hoof, and shut her eyes, savouring how close they were.

This is... nice. It was silent for a short while, broken by both of them at the same time.

“Rainbow Dash, I...”

“Fluttershy...”

They laughed. “You go first,” Rainbow said.

“Oh, okay, um, if you don’t mind me asking... Um, how are all of my little friends doing?”

Dash answered in the same change of character she’d put on when tending to the animals.

“Um... Well, they’re doing quite well... You see, I just copied you – oh, I hope you don’t mind. But, well, you’d be surprised how easily they warm up to anypony who acts anything like Mama Fluttershy,” she said timidly.

Fluttershy’s eyes boggled, and she burst out laughing.

“Of course, that doesn’t mean I’m any good at it,” Rainbow said, returning to normal. “I kept ‘em alive though, right? It’s just easier when they’re good. Ugh, except for Angel. That’s bunny’s a real pain in the rump.”

It was then that Fluttershy noticed that there was something... different about Rainbow Dash. She was still Dash, that was for sure, but she’d... changed. There was less of the pride and superiority that had once embodied the mare – it was still there, but it was toned down. Rainbow had always had trouble taking proper care of things - she knew she’d never have been able to do it before. She’d overcome arrogance, one of her greatest weaknesses, in order to help a friend in need.

In her opinion, it was a good change.

Still, it begged the question. “Why would you go so far for me?” she whispered.

There was a short pause, before Dash casually replied , “Because I love you.”

And here it was - exactly what she'd been trying to bring up, laid out before her on a conversational silver platter.

"Rainbow... do you really? I mean, um... well, you see, I really liked you before, um, the accident, and I was going to tell you, and that’s when it happened, and so... and now you've done all this for me...”

“You want to know if you got to tell me and then... then the accident happened? If all of this is just my way of saying sorry?"

“...Yes.”

"Well... yeah, that’s probably what I’d think in your horseshoes... Or bed. Whatever. You know what I mean.”

She turned away, unable to meet Rainbow’s eyes.

“Look at me, ‘Shy,” Dash said, gently turning her head to look into those heavenly blue jewels. “I love you, not because of what I did, not because of what you did, not because of what happened. It’s not because you’re a pegasus, or anything else like that. I love you because you’re you - sweet, shy, caring and kind, but above all, my best friend. I love you. And... I have for a long time. I just didn’t have the guts to admit it until now... even to myself.”

Fluttershy began to cry. It was all real.

“Hey, what’s wrong?”

“Oh,” she sniffed. “It’s just... I’m sorry!”

Dash gave her a quick squeeze. “What for? You haven’t done anything wrong at all.”

“I’m so sorry I didn’t believe you. It’s just so hard - everything that’s happened to all of you, and that I’ve been gone for so long, and...”

“Shh,” Rainbow cooed, stroking her mane. “It’s okay. I don’t blame you at all, ‘Shy.”

This was it - the perfect time to tell her.

"I..." Come on, you can do it!

"I love you too, Rainbow Dash." Yes!

Dash chuckled and kissed Fluttershy softly, hugging her tight. “That was the first time you’ve ever told me that. Thanks, ‘Shy.”

The tears still wouldn’t stop. Dash held her as she cried, letting it all out - the last couple of days had overwhelmed her, learning that so much had happened, and so much had changed - but not all of the tears were sad. She was with Rainbow Dash, who loved her. Really, truly loved her. And as the two of them finally separated, she took the opportunity to look at Dash with new eyes – not as a friend, but as a pony in love looking at the one she loved. She failed to hold back a gasp when she saw Rainbow’s cutie mark, and what had happened to it.

“Rainbow,” she whispered. “What...”

“Alright, come on, you two,” Nurse Redheart said, barging into the room and driving a stake right through the moment’s heart. ”I’ve let this go on as long as I could, but visiting hours were over an hour ago. You can come and see Fluttershy again in the morning when we discharge her.”

Dash sighed. “Alright.”

She turned to Fluttershy. “No more crying, you got it? There’s nothing to be sad about anymore.”

The yellow pegasus sniffed and nodded. Rainbow gave her one last kiss on the cheek, then left. She followed with her eyes as the rainbow-maned pegasus left once more, promising to see her again tomorrow.

---

Rainbow hadn’t been able to stop by in the morning because of another big weather job, but she didn’t mind much.
She had a lot to think about – how things had changed, how they hadn’t, her new relationship with Rainbow Dash, and biggest of all... what to do about her wings.

Still, first things first. It had been three months since she’d been home, and despite Rainbow having apparently taken good care of her home and her furry little friends, Fluttershy was anxious to see them anyway.

She walked down the road towards her cottage from Ponyville, having stopped by Applejack’s cart for a quick breakfast of one of Granny Smith’s apple pies.
It was interesting to see other ponies’ reactions to her presence – not surprisingly, most were surprised to see her out and about, and all were glad.

As she walked, humming a happy little ditty softly to herself, birds and little critters began to poke their heads out of their warrens and nests as she passed them on the road, tweeting and squeaking their surprise and happiness. She greeted them as she passed, briefly checking up on a few – Rainbow seemed to be much better at this than she thought. These birds were as good as they’d ever been under her own care.

She continued on up the road, a small crowd beginning to form behind her.

At last, she turned the corner that led into her little glade, smiling as she saw her tranquil little piece of heaven for the first time in... well, it didn’t seem like that long to her, but she knew it had been - and yet, it looked for all the world like nothing had changed.

---

Angel sat on his cushions, eating a carrot and feeling bored. Well, bored was an understatement.

This was just torture. There was nothing to do but wait around, all day every day.

Well, that wasn’t entirely true, either. There was a multitude of things he could have been doing – setting up traps for the Rainbow One, or taunting the baby mice again, but there just wasn’t any satisfaction in it anymore.
He’d never had so much free reign before Fluttershy stopped coming home, and though he loved the yellow bird-pony, it had been a blast being able to do whatever he wanted.

Then the Rainbow One came, and it was still a blast – their rivalry was a sight to behold, a legend among the Furries.

But it had been three months, if Fluttershy’s calendar wasn’t lying to him. Or his pocket watch. Or his own calendar.

Yeah, it was three months. Three months that Fluttershy... that Mama... hadn’t been there.

He held back a sniff.

Rainbow hated him, he knew. He wanted her to. There was no way she’d ever sit down with him and pet him like Mama did, or sleep curled up with him like Mama did...

She wasn’t even as easy to make fun of as she had been when she started. Back then, if he so much as threw a walnut at her, she’d probably be willing to chase him all through the Everfree Forest, but now... she was just boring.

He sighed, hopping up to the windowsill and looking out. It was a nice enough day, but he really didn’t feel like going out . He knew the other animals felt similarly, though none of them seemed to mind Rainbow much nowadays.

Stupid Fluttershy mimic. Isn’t even here to feed us today.

“Hey Chip,” he called, seeing a squirrel outside scampering up to its hovel. “Where’s Rainbow?”

“Dunno,” the furry bastard chittered. “Probably went to find some rope for her next bunny trap.”

“Ha. You’re funny.” Stupid squirrel.

...I miss you, Mama, but Chip's going down.

While he was deciding on the best way to get his revenge, he noticed something in the corner of his eye. All the birds over by the path were going berserk.

Probably just a snake. Stupid birds – thick as a hydra’s d-

Wait – what was that? He could have sworn he saw something yellow...

There it was again – a flash of pink, through the trees.

Then she turned the last corner.

Yellow coat? Check.

Blue eyes? Check.

Butterflies? Check.

Pink Mane? Check.

Why am I listing? Check – wait, what?

Who am I, that freakin’ horny librarian?

“Fluttershy’s back!” he cried, throwing himself right through the open window. “Mama’s back!”

---

It was like everything that lived anywhere near Fluttershy’s house suddenly converged on the mare herself – because, well, they did. Every creature for nearly a mile charged towards her – even the big ones, which was a little scary, but when Mother Bear enveloped her in a bear hug, she couldn’t help but be happy.
Six generations of field mice burrowed into her mane, tiny paws grabbing onto her. A snake wrapped lovingly around her leg, a turtle bopped her hoof with its shell to greet her.

Suddenly, the throng of animals parted, and a space was cleared all the way up to where a single bunny stood, wiping his eyes and trying to look tough.

He kicked the ground with a paw, sniffing loudly.

Fluttershy smiled. Of all her animal friends, if she could call any her own, it would be Angel Bunny.

“Angel,” she said lovingly.

“Mama’s home.”

He leapt forward, right into her waiting hooves, leaving behind a sparkling trail of light where his tears fell. She nuzzled him for a moment, standing on her hind legs, then lost her balance and fell over.

She laughed as Angel hugged her tightly with his tiny arms, still trying not to cry.

---

Later, once she’d settled in, Fluttershy pondered the dilemma she’d been left with by the Nurse. She didn’t want to admit it, but she’d been a little hurt when she fell over during her reunion with Angel. Not physically, of course, but emotionally.

When Angel had jumped at her, she’d tried to fly up and catch him, like she’d always used to. To baby him in the air like she’d always done - that was what she’d wanted, right then.

It seemed for all the world like nothing had changed, but that was a lie. She’d lost her ability to fly, and a rift had been opened between their friends which had hurt them, whether they’d bridged it or not – and she’d played a major part in causing that rift.

It wasn't her fault – she knew that much. But could it have been avoided?

Yes. Perhaps if she’d worked just a little harder back in Summer Flight Camp, or did a little exercise now and then, she might have been strong enough to survive the accident – well, she did survive, but she hadn’t really been there for three months.

Maybe if she’d just listened to Rainbow that one time she’d tried to get her in shape, or Twilight, when she'd said it was good to keep fit, whether you're physically active or not, this whole mess could have been avoided.

“Would you rather live like an earth pony, or a pegasus?”

Looking at her wings, she wondered – how much had she ever really liked flying in the first place?
It had always been enjoyable – she’d always liked the feeling of wind ruffling through her feathers, the freedom the skies always seemed to offer. But that same freedom had always seemed available on the ground, too. It was just more... horizontal.

Almost nothing she’d ever used her wings for could not be done without them – it merely lessened the burden. Her wings were barely used at all, except to more easily reach higher corners when dusting, to get to the birdhouses in the taller trees, and other such trivialities.

With the ability to fly actually gone, though, she started to realise how much she really liked it.
Though it had never been much more than a novelty to her, some of her favourite things, like flying with Rainbow Dash, might now be lost for good.

From what Nurse Redheart had said, the rehabilitation would be more than hard, or gruelling, or difficult – it sounded outright excruciating. Would it be worth such a frightful procedure, for the sake of something that had never meant much to her before?

Would it be worth the pain, to be able to fly again?

Suddenly, her vision was filled with a pair of beautiful magenta eyes. She blushed heavily, shrinking away, until she heard the sound of Rainbow’s laughter filling her bedroom.

“I still don’t know how that one scares you every single time,” she cackled.

“...Um, what brings you here, Rainbow?”

“Well, I’ve been living here for the last while as well - because of my house, you know... so... Anyway, I finished all my weather jobs and figured you’d be here – and it’s like, seven o’clock. It’s nearly time for smaller ones to go to bed, right? Just before sunset. I thought... maybe... we could do it together?”

Fluttershy blinked. Rainbow was exactly right – just before sunset was when all the baby animals were put to bed, and even some of the older ones.

...And her idea sounded amazing.

They got to work quickly – there were a lot of cute, tiny critters that had to be cradled to sleep, and the sooner they got started, the better. She looked up from a sextet of mice to see Rainbow petting a little baby bunny, cooing to it softly as it went to sleep, then laying it to sleep on a cushion and tucking it in with a fluffy table napkin. It threw her mind into a whirlwind of emotions – amazement, gladness, and utter delight at the cute, heart-warming scene – not to mention love.

This was Rainbow Dash, a pony who used to be so brash, loud, and, well, awkward, more or less, at anything not sports related, helping the little ones as well as she herself ever had. She was like a whole new pony, based off the old one, but without the flaws.

And that just made Fluttershy love her even more.

Two squirrels, a shrew, forty-eight mice, six bunnies and a wallaby later, Rainbow sat on the couch while Fluttershy brewed some tea, wondering if she should speak up about her problem yet.
She also wanted to find out about the addition to Rainbow’s Cutie Mark.

“Would you like some tea as well, Rainbow?”

“Oh, uh, no thanks.”

She sat down beside the blue pegasus, leaning into her slightly. It would take some getting used to – the feeling that they were more than friends wasn’t something she’d ever experienced before.

“Um... Rainbow?”

“Hmm?”

“Well, um, I was wondering – you see, I saw it when Nurse Redheart asked you to leave yesterday at the hospital – um... what happened to your Cutie Mark?”

Dash smiled and nuzzled her. “Shove over for a second – lemme show you.”

There it was, in all its glory – a thunderhead shooting rainbow lightning, with three little butterflies resting at the edge of the cloud.

“It’s... nice,” she said.

“Hay yeah it is. I got it the day before yesterday – the day you woke up. Best birthday present ever.”

“How did it happen?”

“Well... uh...” she mumbled, seeming unsure of where to start. “Well, you know how I was... you know... and so I was up on a cloud, at the edge of it, and...”

Fluttershy gasped, shocked that Rainbow would even consider that. Rainbow’s expression turned puzzled for a moment, before the realisation finally hit her.

“No! No! Not like that – I wasn’t going to do that!” She ruffled her mane. “I was trying to figure something out. See, I still thought it was my fault, and I was scared. My flying had hurt somepony, and I wanted to decide then and there if I’d ever want to fly again, or if I didn’t want to risk hurting anypony again. And then I started to imagine you talking to me – and you told me I shouldn’t stop flying. That it wasn’t my fault, because it was an accident – because I was doing something I loved.”

“And I realised then that, yeah, I love flying. It’s everything to me – my dream. But that wasn’t everything - I love you, ‘Shy, even more than I love to fly. So when I jumped off the cloud, it was like I'd chosen to live for you as much as for me - to love flying because I loved you. Then I did another Sonic Rainboom, and... it was like coming full circle, you know? Everything turns out for the best - that's what else you told me. The you I imagined. You know what I mean."

Fluttershy turned her head, meeting Rainbow's eyes as she told the story.

"If it wasn't for my very first Rainboom, we might never have become friends after Flight Camp. If it wasn't for the one three months ago, I never would have stopped telling myself that I didn't love you - and if it wasn't for the one a few days ago, I would have lived with my guilt forever... If it wasn't for you, I don't know what my life would be like right now, but I wouldn't change this one for anything. Anyway, when I did that last Rainboom, I got you on my Cutie Mark, and that's about it! It’s actually pretty cool.”

That's more than pretty cool. Fluttershy leaned forward, kissing Rainbow softly. She saw Dash's surprise melt away again, and this time there was nopony to interrupt them. They stayed like that for a while, simply enjoying one another's touch.

When at last they separated, Fluttershy noticed that Dash looked more thoughtful than happy, like she was.

"Oh, um... did... didn't you like it?"

Rainbow shook her head, shaking herself from her trance. "Huh? What?"

"Um, didn't you like it?"

"Like it?" she laughed. "That was awesome! Do you see these wings? I won't be able to get these down for weeks!"

They laughed, the brief moment of tension broken.

Fluttershy leaned back into Rainbow Dash, enjoying the feeling of being cuddled up with her best friend... lover...

...But she found that it was hard to be happy for long when there was such a huge decision to be made.

“Um... Rainbow...”

“Hmm?”

“Well, um... What if I said that I’m trying to choose whether or not to fly as well?”

“Huh? Why would you want to decide something like that?”

She proceeded to tell Dash everything that Nurse Redheart had told her – The fact that right now, she couldn’t fly, all about the surgery, and how hard the rest of the rehabilitation process would be.
She told Dash all of her worries and fears – if it would be worth the pain to regain her flight, or if she should just let it go – if her friends would judge her decision one way or another.

Dash remained silent, thoughtful through all of this.

Finally, came the question. “What do you think I should do?”

Rainbow chose her words carefully, for once. “...You already know that we’d support whichever one you choose, Fluttershy. I’ll support you whichever one you choose. I love you, Fluttershy. Whether you ever fly again is your decision, but I’ll be right there with you, whichever way you go. No matter what.”

For some reason, that answer wasn’t enough. She was at a crossroads - she didn’t know where either road went, only that they were both tough, and full of hardships. It wasn’t enough to just have somepony walk it with her – she needed somepony to help her choose which road to take.

“I love you Rainbow Dash – but I’m scared. They're both so hard, and they’ll both be painful - do I just give up a part of myself, or go through hell to keep it? What if I make the wrong choice? I can’t really take it back – Nurse Redheart said that the nerves are deteriorating. Some day in the near future, my wings will be lost forever, and there won’t be any going back, and it frightens me.”

“I love you, Rainbow, and I need your help.” There was a long pause.

“What do you want me to do?”

The silence seemed to stretch on to infinity.

So Fluttershy waited... and then, Rainbow answered.