• Published 4th Oct 2012
  • 757 Views, 8 Comments

Revenge - We'll_Never_Know



The Sequel to Lunar Dawn, three different players race to achieve their goals and end the war.

  • ...
 8
 757

Prologue: In Requiem Pacem

REVENGE

One year earlier...

The solemn procession moved through the streets, guards accompanying both the carriage and the notable mourners following behind. One could not be too careful, especially after what happened to the pony inside the open coffin.

She was a princess, niece to Celestia, and loving wife to a husband, Captain Shining Armor of the Royal Guard. Cadance, the name she was simply called, had been an adored figure in the Solar Empire, loved by all. The union of Cadance and Shining Armor had proved to be a shining moment in the darkness that haunted the citizens of Solar Equestria for four years.

But however, the times were not forgiving. On the eve of their one-year anniversary, the two proudly walked the streets of Cloudsdale. But there was a plot, set by hardliners in support of Luna, princess of the Lunar Empire. They knew that Cadence and Shining Armor were coming. So, they prepared a building in their path to have an unexpected demolition.

The day was a horrible experience to everyone there. The explosion killed 40 ponies, and pieces of the building flew into the other buildings and the street. When Shining Armor got up after the smoke cleared, he saw his wife, lying limp, with pieces of the shrapnel in her body. He ran to her in desperation, but it was too late. She was gone.
It's been a week. The widow Shining Armor was mourning as strongly as ever, not speaking to many visitors. Celestia and his sister, Twilight Sparkle even went to comfort him, but to little avail.

The procession was made up of the bearers of the carriage, led by Big Macintosh, with the coffin open. Following immediately behind were Celestia and Luna, visiting on a state occasion. On either side were the most advanced bodyguard of their respective nations. Shining Armor followed in black uniform slowly behind the princesses, followed by members of his guard and Twilight, wearing a black dress for the funeral. Behind them were the five friends of Twilight, also wearing similar black dresses.

Cadance lay in her coffin, now looking peacefully. There was little or no sign of her wounds; the morticians made sure of that. She lay gracefully, eyes closed, her mane twined with flowers. A peaceful, yet eternal sleep.
The procession reached the burial site, marked with a small monument. The monument had a small statuette of Cadance on it, and an epitaph:

Here lies, Cadance, princess of Canterlot
Loved by many, and
Now laid in eternal rest.

The bearers stopped, and unharnessed themselves from the carriage. They stood by the side, as the carriage's sides flipped down, exposing the curved bars at which the bearers would put themselves to lift with their backs.
Celestia, Luna, and Shining Armor moved forward. All looking down at the deceased princess.

"Rest in peace, beloved niece", Celestia said to the body, "may you have rest forever."

"Goodbye, darling", Shining Armor nearly sobbed. He quickly put himself together, as Twilight came to comfort him. "Rest in peace..."

"I will never forget you, Cadance", Twilight whispered. She had many fond memories of her fillyhood with the princess.

The three looked at Luna for a comment. Luna just looked solemnly at the body, but said nothing.

Eventually it came time for the coffin to be closed, and Celestia did it with magic, still having a little trouble after the incident four years prior. The coffin closed, and cut into the wood, was the cutie mark of Cadance. Shining Armor lowered his head, and tears started streaming down his face.


The bearers positioned themselves underneath the bars, and lifted with their backs. They trotted slowly toward the grave, and lowered the coffin onto the wood elevator, which would lower the coffin into the grave. With a hoof, each of them pushed the bar up into the closed position.

The body was then lowered into the grave, and when it touched the bottom, a marble slide sealed the grave. The slab had yet another image of Cadance on it.

Shining Armor trotted toward the closed grave, with Twilight in tow. He laid down next to the monument, and started crying, as Twilight, also tearing up, sat beside him, comforting him. The rest of the procession stood at their places, in solemn silence, as Celestia and Luna trotted off, accompanied by their bodyguards.

"This is what your hardliners do to us, sister", Celestia started, "they take lives, and yet they do it in your name."

"Come now, sister", Luna replied calmly, as if no remorse in her voice, "Do thou really think I supported those villains? Nay, I say. They were simply acting in my name. "

"Simply acting in your name", Celestia scoffed, "you didn't know her, but she was family. Family that your supporters took away. My people will not..."

"Listen here, sister", Luna interrupted, shooting Celestia a look with her scarred face, "I would never dream of supporting those villains. I am not responsible for our niece's unfortunate demise, but I will not stay here and be scolded like some common peasant." The Lunar princess stood rigid.

"Come now guards, the time is upon us to go home", Luna ordered. The alicorn swooped up in the air with her wings, and flew away, the guards in pursuit.

Celestia shook her head disapprovingly at her sister, and turned back to the funeral. Shining Armor and Twilight were still at the grave. Celestia trotted over to them. She stood there silently, observing the two siblings sharing their sorrow. Celestia couldn't help but feel bad herself. But she tapped Twilight, and motioned for her to go. Twilight looked up with a tear-stained face, but got up, and moved away. She was about to motion to Shining Armor, but decided against it. The procession then left the grave site solemnly and silently.

Shining Armor stayed at his place, sobbing. He realized everyone had left, but he stayed so he could be with his wife for a little longer. After a few minutes in silence, he got up, and looked down on the grave. He made an oath:

"One day, I will avenge you."