• Published 4th Oct 2012
  • 2,857 Views, 144 Comments

Arranged happiness - cealdra



Sometimes bad things can have nice results in the end. A TwiShy tale

  • ...
20
 144
 2,857

chapter 4

The entire room looked at Fluttershy, who stood still firm on all four of her hooves. Albeit the delicate thing was shaking like a leaf caused by the mere thought of being susceptible to a lot of attention from so many unknown ponies, let alone that of the media, once again it had not been her who had collapsed.

Not even thinking about the implications Twilight simply drew the shaking Pegasus in a soft embrace in an attempt to calm her down a bit. She had seen what fame had done to the poor thing during her brief career as a model. But that would be nothing compared to the storm about to be unleashed due the fact of them having sort of saved Equestria a few times already.

No, it had not been Fluttershy who had fainted. A certain dramatic fashionista's brain had short circuited itself thinking about what it could mean for her and her own dreams if she would gain the recognition of the elite for saving the country more than once. Without much questioning to the exact reason almost all present except for Spike and the princess had their previously worried expression replaced with a sigh or eye roll, for they had long learned to ignore the theatrics of the generous mare.

“Well then my little ponies, I am afraid I cannot spare any longer. I had already let a few of the media know about my plans of introducing you to the public. Let’s just say the state castle is in right now would put even Discord’s madness to shame and I have left poor Luna alone in it for far too long. I am hoping to see you all in three weeks.” With those words spoken and a few heartfelt goodbyes the princess lighted her horn and disappeared in a similar flash of light as she arrived in leaving a silent library behind.

The five girls and the young dragon turned out to have a difficult time waking up the catatonic unicorn. But once they had, it had already been late in the evening. Celestia's little visit and the small uproar caused by the news had taken a lot of the time they had planned for games and general relaxation. So without much time passing they had retreated to their beds. Still softly discussing the news with each other until sleep finally claimed them.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

The days after the announcement had not been very silent. It had been all over the news, every even slightly self-respecting media source had been gushing over with rumors. The more respective papers and journalists had only spoken about the heroics achieved and speculated about the reasons why the six heroes had been left shrouded in shadows darker then a moonless night. But none the less they spoke about it in nearly every edition, always with small updates and some claimed to have received hints from the princesses themselves concerning the identity of the group dubbed after the ancient relics they wield, the Elements.

But of course for every respectful article there were at least four made of pure speculation and smut. It was these media which were having the time of their lifetime as their profit nearly tripled due the wild speculations they published. There had been some pretty wild rumors going on thanks to these magazines and information fueled by gossip from the castle.

Now with the great unveiling only mere hours away the six mares had joined up with the select group who had known the truth since the beginning. Nervous as they were the laughter still rung loud in the room. But all had come to an end, there had been a reason they had all gathered an hour before the ballroom would be opened for the select media hoofpicked by the princesses to be ears of the common pony for the unveiling combined with a large number of nobles, rich influential and other important (whether true or self-imposed) ponies who just wanted to be sure they would be in the picture of being present at this historical event.

A white hoof clad in golden shoes raised itself in the air and the chatter and laughter slowly died out. With a soft but stern voice the Solar Princess spoke to the group of about sixteen present in the small chamber.

“Now I welcome all of you and thank you all for making the time for this little meeting even though the main event will not happen for at least two to three more hours. Sergeant Juggernaut, will you do the honors?”

A large earth pony easily the size of Big Macintosh stepped in front of the group. His body almost completely obscured by armor. With a slow motion the stallion produced a scrap of paper from a small pouch and held it before the eye-slits. A deep voice rumbled from within it, sounding almost supernatural by the echo created due the closed helmet.

THE ELEMENTS; RUSE, HOAX OR REALITY?

By Written Lie

The Elements of Harmony, of course; who has not learned of these mythical artifacts during their foalhood. Now we are informed that these supposed magical relics actually do exist and have been used several times in the past few years to 'save' us from harm. They are rumored to not only have been used in actual battles against mythical entities as Nightmare Moon and Discord, but also have been wielded by the same six ponies each time.

I say; that's a load of horseapples. Seriously, six ordinary ponies going up against beings closer to gods than anything else on this world asides from Celestia herself. And we are all to, just fall for this obvious deceit?

Ask any foal whether the mare in the moon exists or not. They would all be able to tell you in a single heartbeat that this Nightmare Moon is nothing more of a fairytale with the underlying moral of being grateful for what you have. And that is not even beginning to speak about this so-called Discord. The perfect example of the imagination of a few hillbillies gone wild caused to many generations of interbreeding.

All evidence points to this being an elaborate scheme by our government to have us believe this Luna-pony is actually this long lost princess and Celestia's younger sister so we would accept this failed clone of our beloved princess when she passes away in a few months.

The article went on for a few more lines spouting increasingly ridiculous sounding nonsense with every sentence read. When the sergeant was done Celestia addressed the group once again, this time with obvious mirth in her eyes. “With the discovery of this article I dare say that chancellor High Rule has won our little game, wouldn't you agree?”

The smug look on a rather scrawny looking Unicorn and the nodding of those present told enough about the thoughts.

After revealing that she would introduce the Avatars to the public, Celestia had been shocked to say the least about the large amount of rumors running about. Ranging from them being a specially selected black-ops team trained in combat magic by the princess herself, to them being a band of courageous nobles led by Blueblood. The article speaking about the latter had her sending a letter to those who knew the truth, saying she was putting a pot together with 1 bit entry to be won by the one who brought the most ridiculous story with them today. “But now I believe it is time for us to mingle with those present. Remember, although the oath spell has been lifted this morning you are not to reveal information.”

It was after this that Luna stepped forward and turned her gaze to the six friends all looking either exited, anxious or downright terrified about the revelation to come. “Due the fact that not many received a royal invite to this here gathering thou might be questioned by those who believe themselves to be above thou and thine friends. Due this we, as in 'Tia and.” The dark alicorn paused a moment it could be seen she was straining to not fall into her archaic speech “Myself will provide you with a cover story. So please listen to us as we explain for it will only be said once. Remember that these are made to avoid suspicion, whether thou likes it or not thou are supposed to heed to them until said time of thine personal revealing.”

“Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy due to being sibling to Shining Armor and the accursed contract thou are invited as a minor noble and fiancé. This would keep many noble from asking pesky questions, but alas we cannot assume the same from the leeches recent times call journalists.”

With those words spoken an official invitation floated towards them almost dramatically slow, in a flowing silver script there could be read Gr. Mgs. Twilight Sparkle and mate; Fluttershy which in turn earned the gentle Pegasus an apologetic look from both Luna as well as Twilight.

“Applejack, due the well-known status of thine clan thou are invited as the official representative of the Apple Clan and offshoots included but not limited to the likes as the Oranges and Carrots.” Her invitation had been written the same silver script Apple Clan, chosen matriarch-representative: Applejack.

Luna stepped back as Celestia levitated her set of invitations to the remaining three. But unlike her sister she made far less of a show of handing them out. All of them had been written in an elegant gold script.

“Rainbow Dash, all members of the Wonderbolts. Whether active, reserves or trainee such as yourself have been invited. On entry report to your captain so she can mark you as present. Don't worry, she has official orders to let all of you do your own thing. Rarity, as the one who made the dresses of all the avatars it would be an insult to their magnificence if you yourself could not be present.”

The regal mare sighed at the giddiness of the last of the Avatars, Laughter or otherwise known as Pinkie Pie, she had been the hardest to create a believable cover story. That was until Cadence had the brilliant idea of faking a lottery to allow the Avatars parents to be present as well. It had been a small adjustment to let the cakes win three invites besides having her birth family win their own. “Pinkie Pie, you and the Cakes have won the right to be present for both the unveiling as well as the after party by means of a lottery. This lottery of course is a ruse made by Luna and myself to allow your families to be present as well. But now with the invitations dispensed it is about time for you to leave. It might draw still unwanted attention if the six of you were to be seen entering at the same time as us.”

The six mares simply nodded and left with their own personal goodbyes to those staying behind.

They had just reached the door when they were called out by the head of staff “Remember, when a waiter wearing a broche with a gem in the shape of your own element comes up to you with the words that they have a message for you that you follow him or her. They will bring you to the backstage dressing room where your dresses will be ready combined with a small crew to powder you up as it’s called.”

The loud sigh from two of them elicited a heartfelt laugh in the room. Previously when they had made the arrangement they had voiced their objections quite harshly, but futile nonetheless.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Many of the invited had already been present, being noble, journalist or simple commoner lucky enough to having won entrance by the 'lottery'. The six avatars looked at each other after clearing the heavily guarded gateway, nodded with determination and went five different ways as was agreed. They were to stay with their families until they were retrieved for the unveiling. But the order of Celestia still rang clear in their minds. Not even their own parents were to know. Both princesses would put up a small light show right before they were to enter one by one. It was to make sure it was believed that none of those who knew could even say a single word. Making it easier for the media-backlash to be diverted from the mares and towards the chancellor and princesses.

Fluttershy had elicited to stay with Twilight, seeing they had a shared invite and not even her own kindness could cause her to face her parents. Who were only released from the hospital a few days prior to the event. Due some odd reason the medical file had been misplaced and without details the doctors just simply could not treat them as effective as they normally would be able to.

Time had passed very slowly; both mares had expressed a strong dislike of the ponies present. They had made a small niche for themselves in one of the corners. Away from the hassle of the large crowd. And still they had been found by a few journalists asking questions about their presence and jobs. Most of those had left them alone after telling them. Only one had driven Fluttershy into a corner by harassing her about her short career in fashion. That one had been kindly reminded by Twilight that his presence was not appreciated. The snide remark about who she thought herself to be was snipped short by Shining Armor arriving with some refreshments for the mares.

But the journalists in general were not the worst. The so called 'nobles' were much worse. Often plain rude and offensive. But still Twilight could not tell how or why, but she felt a bit of a sting when a young stallion had approached them and blatantly asked Fluttershy if she wouldn't like to ditch the nerd and come with him, for a 'private party' at his place. The unicorn had been called many forms of nerd before, but she couldn't quite tell why this time it had actually hurt her a bit.

But although occasionally interrupted both mares had been talking to each other. Only to realize that even they had been friends for a few years they still had many hidden depths to them. Things normally never discussed or simply assumed to be just another quirk or trait had proven to be so much more. When the waiters had come for them they had both agreed to meet up a few days later at Fluttershy's cottage to continue the talk. After all, Twilight reasoned, if they were to spend the rest of their lives in one house it would serve both to not have any further surprises.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

A lot of fuss later the six of them were in their dresses and were in a complete and total make-over.

But Rarity had passed all expectations with the clothing. Each of them dressed in a design which would not look unfitting on either of the Alicorns. From the simple yet elegant design of Fluttershy's dress to the extravagant swirls and ribbons of Rarity's and everything in between. Truly capturing their essence at their best.

For this occasion they had all received their Elemental vessels. Not because they were expected to use it, but to show it was really them. Celestia had once unveiled the necklaces and tiara. Many found that day that only those selected by the elements residing within them could even touch them. Both Celestia and Luna were former avatars and thus were able to handle them briefly. Applejack was the last to put hers on and not a moment too soon. The moment the gold had hit her neck Celestia's calm but authoritative voice rang out.

“Many rumors have been started since my sister and I made the decision to dispel the oath of binding secrets that slumbers upon those who know the Avatars true identity. They would have remained in the shadows until the day they passed from us, where they would have gotten a hero's burial in the crystal tombs beneath the castle. “The regal mare shook her head and briefly looked at lord Bright Shine before continuing. “But recent events have forced our hooves. Be smitten by greed, two stallions sought to use two of the avatars for their own personal gain. An action that could have driven a wedge between them all and leave our fair nation, neigh our very world in danger. So here we are, and let it be known that from this point on all who meddle in the lives of these six ponies will have Tartarus to pay.”

What followed was an impressive but utterly useless light show, a powerful illusion cast by the Diarchs of day and night. With their fancy display done they looked back at the crowd who were now gaping in awe. Luna retreated knowing her place was behind the scene's letting her sister do the public thing. At least for now, until her own public image had been restored a bit more.

“First up is a mare many will no doubt know off if they are interested in stunt flying. The youngest of the six avatars being a mere eighteen as of last month, and already a Wonderbolt trainee. By far the youngest I have ever heard off. And if her display at the Best Young Flier competition last year was any indication she will push herself beyond the Sonic Rainboom and into a legend of her own.”

The princess let the crowd murmur a bit but looking at the faces of both Spitfire as Dash's fellow trainee Lightning Dust to see a look of bewilderment. But also a sort of smirking grin from Soarin' who was standing beside the two. She guessed neither had truly known that Rainbow Dash had only been seventeen during her time at the academy, her magic and by extension her ability to fly not even fully matured like had been with the twenty-three year old Lightning, the only other to have made the cut to becoming an official trainee in the last six years.

“But her future squad mates do not need to worry about her starting a solo-career. If anything she is loyal to a fault towards those she comes to care about. Please welcome the avatar of Loyalty; Rainbow Dash.”

On cue the young speedster flew gently from behind the curtains. Her dress clearly mimicking the old battle-armor the Pegasi wore in the founding times when going to war. But the somber clothes had been replaced by the colors of her mane and tail. Swirling in a pattern that made it seem to be moving. The look made her seem ready to take on anything, but at the same time those who saw it could not be helped but to be almost mesmerized into calmness by the swirling colors. A slow courteous nod, made with one of the biggest egocentrical grins this side of reality, she moved next to Luna. Chest puffed out proudly, but still managing to refrain from blowing her own horn.

Celestia let the journalists make a few pictures and allowed the talking to cool down for a few minutes before clearing her throat. “Now for the second avatar. To all who need cheering up or perhaps just a smile or laugh she is the mare to go to. To those who earn their bits planning big fancy gatherings she is known far and wide as 'the pink menace'. But many in the various party-circuits across the land will most likely have heard of her or enjoyed one of her many parties themselves. And if not known for festivities many will know her baking’s and take it from this old mare. You have not lived until you tried one of her creations. And I know many of you have been placing orders at the little bakery for your own gatherings she works at simply due to that fact.”

With that last comment she had looked at a small group of blushing nobles. They had scorned Pinkie for what she had tried to pull at the gala, but at the same time were regulars at Sugarcube Corner due the soul fact of that no baker in Canterlot could create better baked goods , well perhaps save for the ones at the castle but that was to remain a mystery. The Princess didn't want a baking war going on in her kitchens even if the outcome was her having as much cake as she could eat for weeks.

“So remember next time you want a good time at a party, or just a simple baked treat to just ask her. Better prepare while you can, for here comes the avatar of Laughter; Pinkamena Dianne Pie aka Pinkie Pie.”

Celestia was glad she had asked all Avatars to remain silent until all were announced. But of course one could not contain the Pink. Rather than saying anything she had come out rolling out an ominous looking cannon, a somewhat much larger edition then her normal one. With a grin so large it was threatening to rip her cheeks the mare simply pulled on the fuse. A large explosion followed by a large cloud of black smoke filled the spot the mare had been standing. When it cleared here azure and white lollipop themed dress had been stained with sooth. But right in the middle of the room, in the exact place nopony had been standing two large tables were now standing. Both filled to the brim with all manner of baked goods. The plates even had little signs telling what they were holding. The party pony simply skipped towards Celestia to whisper something before turning to her spot besides Rainbow muttering something about using too much frosting while mixing the charge.

Resisting the urge to facehoof Celestia continued with her speech. “Lady Pie wants you to know that all treats are complimentary of Sugarcube Corner, so have as much or little as you want. But to go on with introductions. This mare needs to introduction, as many present will no doubt have either heard of her or are currently wearing one of her designs. But besides a designer of elegance and beauty she is also well known in the charity circles. Instead of sneering and looking down she strives to aid the lesser for tuned. Whether it is a simple compliment or small gift, all come from the heart. So please welcome the avatar of Generosity: Rarity.”

A breath of awe came as Rarity walked out from the curtains. A long stylish dress not unfitting for one of the princesses topped with a few pieces of obviously luxurious jewellery all accenting the diamond-necklace that is the Element of Generosity. Mutterings had risen quite easily, not bad ones mind you. But it had come more from certain nobles who were now willing to bang their heads at a wall, not being able to believe that they led one of the avatars fall through their clutches by snubbing her. A certain blonde stallion in particular felt the need for a serious hard drink after the announcement had been made. The marshmallow white unicorn seemed to drink in all the attention making her shine even brighter. But not until a golden clad hoof gently nudged her to remind Rarity that the spotlight was not hers alone and that they had a few more to announce.

*

Behind the curtains both Applejack as Twilight were having serious troubles comforting a very anxious Fluttershy. The pegasus had been shaking in fear. Not even wanting to face the large crowd, and even more so because of the reaction her parents might have when they learned that she was not only an national hero but also very closely connected to the two most important ponies alive. By some sort of odd instinct the mare had not sought a hiding place but had curled up in a ball at the closed point of comfort, in this case the only pony around facing a similar situation; Twilight.

There had been no other choice for the mare but to kneel down and slowly try and comfort the terrified Pegasus. There had been no effect at all, at least not until she had mimicked what Fluttershy had done when they first had gotten to know their fate. Just lying beside her and allowing her companion to know that she was there for her. But both know they could not stay like that for long. They both knew they would have to step outside soon enough. For Applejack had stepped out towards the others at the calling of her name.

*

Meanwhile at the front of the stage, many of those present had been allowed a small respite to visit the tables set up by Pinkie's cannon blast. Happily munching on some snack they had looked at the princesses to continue.

“Hardworking, dependable and honest. Those are the traits any could use to describe the next Avatar. Born and raised on a rather well known orchard it is only natural that these ideals are held in high standards. But besides a farmer she is also an athlete, having competed in some of the hardest rodeo's our fair country knows. So it can be fair to say that as a mare she knows how to have fun, but those around here who have done business with her will know and most likely found out the hard way that she drives a hard bargain.”

The last remark caused more than a few of the attendee's to flinch. Of course it had been widely known that although friendly and hospitable the Apple Clan were savvy and brutal when it came to price negotiations. And it didn't help when the one that was usually sent as a representative was somewhat a living lie-detector.

“Please welcome the avatar of Honesty: Applejack”

Her appearance had been swift and short, not one to showboat or do some crazy antic Applejack had just moved to the front of the stage bowed slightly and walked back towards the three waiting mares.

An almost unnoticed glare towards a group of two wounded pegasi came from Celestia, followed by a small smirk disguised as a smile. What she was about to say would shake the very foundations of their little world.

“All creatures big and small know her, either by name, scent or appearance. No matter who or what you are, one can always find aid at her meadow or cottage whether it be a meal, shelter for the night or medical care. But her skill with animals is not the only thing she is known for. Her natural grace and innocent beauty has landed her a career in fashion as one of its most wanted models. But due personal reasons she decided to end it. Her demeanor and trademark is her shy, gentle and kind posture. Please I ask all to gently and calmly welcome the avatar of Kindness: Fluttershy”

The butterscotch mare's entrance had been sudden as she had been almost forcefully pushed from behind the curtains. Her eyes hidden behind her mane and attempting to make herself as small as possible she scuffled towards Celestia. A few almost inaudible whimpers came from her as the journalists' cameras were flashing. Giving the terrified mare a few flashbacks to a year ago when they had almost hunted her down like mad ponies. The princess felt pity for the pegasus, her shyness was crippling in normal life. But there was no understanding what being forced in the center of attention was doing to Fluttershy. But luckily her moment of solitary spotlight had been over, and she could go to her friends and hide amongst them.

A quick glance to the mare's parents gave her enough amusement to sit through a hundred council sittings. The sheer flabbergasted look on their faces had been priceless. The realization that their 'worthless' daughter was a national hero and in the good graces of both princesses had almost shattered their minds and their faces were showing every little bit of it.

“The last of the avatars is a mare especially close to my heart, having watched her growing from a curious little filly to the mare she is today. Many nobles have wondered about her throughout the years. Some have even asked me, what the lavender foal was doing reading in the corner as I was holding court. By request of her parents I never revealed the full truth. Although I think some have suspected something later on when I started teaching her more advanced spells.”

The entire room had been gasping at this implication. The princess had taken on an apprentice?

There was a mare out there strong and gifted enough to be hoof taught by the solar goddess herself, the last recorded royal apprentice had Crystal Sphere, the unicorn responsible for the crystal-infusion spells now used to power houses with modern comforts as lights and toasters. And that had been nearly seven hundred years ago. Celestia hoped Twilight would forgive her for what she was about to do next. But she had no choice; these secrets should be revealed all at once and not separate. There was no alternative.

“From the moment I laid eyes on her I knew she was special. Just how much I could not imagine in my wildest dreams. Besides giving me my sister back, and stopping Discord and the changeling invasion, she has given our society much more. Her work, under the name of Dawn Glitter, has both revolutionized the way magic is being taught to foals and baffled the magi of the arcanum with her theories and studies in ley-energy. My personal protégé and the avatar of Magic: Twilight Sparkle.”

Author Notes:

I do not believe I EVER had to rewrite something this often. I think I lost count on the amount of times I scrapped the whole thing because it just seemed off.

Ponies have 3 coming of age stages:

15: the right to own a house and have a job

18: The right to work full time and also vote on governmental issues and it is the legal drinking age

21: Magic maturity: At this age the internal magic of the pony has reached its peak and will not grow any further. At this age they reach the top of their ability, until then it will only continue to grow.

Earth ponies get their strength and endurance enhanced every year until this time as well as developing a better link to the object of their talent, whether they know what it is or not.

Pegasi will often gain enhancements in flight and weather manipulation. Although history has proven them to be able to gain Earth Pony traits as well if that is their talent.

Unicorns will be able to sustain their magical charge for longer and longer and thus using stronger spells.

And I think from the intro's you can tell who my least favorite is =

Aswell a thanks to TwilightWaffle for helping me getting rid of most of my own horrible grammar.
[