• Published 4th Oct 2012
  • 2,857 Views, 144 Comments

Arranged happiness - cealdra



Sometimes bad things can have nice results in the end. A TwiShy tale

  • ...
20
 144
 2,857

chapter 2

The atmosphere in the room transformed from stressful and awkward silence to simple relief and outrage as the note was being discussed. There had been relief as Bright Shine had left the building.
The major cause of stress had removed itself before it would have been removed by force.

It had been known that the stallion had little regard for his family, unless they could be used to gain further prestige or bits. But the harsh words spoken about the mares, he and his friend had so callously used in their exploit had struck deep in the ponies present. The disgruntled silence bore a distinct muttering of target practice accident.

After a while at least a bit of conversation had begun. But unfortunately it was all shallow and meaningless. The pointless chitter chatter had lasted until the late hours of the evening, well into the night. It was at that point, and several empty bottles of wine, that Twilight Velvet opted to let their guests stay over. The available guest beds had been divided quickly. But fate had struck again for the two mares.

Due three other ponies also in need of sleeping arrangements they had to share Twilight's old room. But not the bed, all present had agreed long before Twilight had snapped out of her mind freeze that they would have two beds. They had been placed at opposite sides of the small room. The mares had withdrawn to it shortly after the beds had been divided.

With a sheepish grin and a wave of the front leg Twilight simply stated “Well um, welcome to my humble room I guess.” before she let her friend in. The room itself had been small and decorated for a foal. But contrary to normal foal rooms it wasn’t clustered with plushies, dolls and toys. No it appeared to be very humbly designed with only two beds, a small writing desk and a few shelves filled with books. It was clear that nopony had done anything but cleaning her for a long time.

Fluttershy knew from what Twilight had once told them that as Celestia's protégé, she had her own room in the royal library. But she had never guessed that she had started living there at such a young age if the room and the book titles she had seen were any indication. There had been books that she had seen Sweetie Belle reading when she was starting to learn levitation a few years ago.

Stray thoughts came to the Pegasus’ mind. She could not help but wonder, was the young age the cause that her friend had withdrawn herself from the world or had it just been something that enabled it to simply flourish? Shaking her head to clear these thoughts she flapped her wings to glide towards the seemingly out of place second bed. Only to climb under the sheets and rest her eyes. Within a few moments a light snoring came from her side of the room.

Twilight looked around her old room. She had not slept in there in ages. Not much since 'the incident' at least. After it she had come over for the weekends. A single tear fell at the memory that flashed in her mind, a memory she never wanted to remember again.
With a shake of the head she attempted to clear her mind a bit, she needed to get some sleep. Something she hadn't had in days. Reluctantly she stepped in her old bed.

It took a while to get comfy, it being a bit on small size. Her head still buzzing with the fact that she and one of her best friends were supposed to marry. How would they bring this news to their other friends? How would they react? For a few moments scenario’s rushed before her eyes. But then her ears caught a soft, soothing noise. The gentle breaths of her roommate, slow and steady. The longer Twilight listened to it, the more her confused mind came to peace. Until finally she to fell asleep.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

It had been early in the morning as the sun had started shining in its fullest upon Twilight. Slowly stirring and with eyes still closed the lavender mare dropped out of the bed. With a grunt and sigh she started to scramble back on her hooves. With a shuffle closer to that of a zombie then a normal pony she managed to wander downstairs and towards the wonderful scent of freshly baked pancakes and coffee.

Her vision still a blur from the half shut eyes she could identify a pony shaped blur of yellow and pink almost dancing around the stove working on an ever increasing stack of pancakes. A soft voice came from the blur in an almost too friendly tone for that time of the morning. “Ooh, good morning Twilight. I`m sorry if I was too loud and woke you up.” The blur stopped its dance and stated pawing at the ground a bit as if waiting for a reply. “Well um, I made breakfast. I do hope it was alright for me to do, do you think I made enough for everypony?”

Twilight stared blankly at the soft-spoken blurry shape. In her head she had the perfect reply, kind and friendly. Just as she was spoken to. I don't think my parents will mind, and we can always make more right? But first some coffee. But unfortunately it came out sounding something like a few grunts and mumbles ending with a sound very close to “coffee”. As if on auto-pilot a large mug became encased with a purple-like red glow and floated to the coffeepot to get it filled.

Without waiting for it to cool down the murky, bitter and still scolding hot brew found its way down Twilight's throat. The entire scene left Fluttershy a bit surprised a few blinks later, while the mug went over for a refill, she still could not believe what she saw.
A friendly voice sounded from the door as the second mug started to drain itself in the lavender mare. “Ahh, you've met morning Twilight. You'll learn like we did it is best not to address her before her first cup of coffee.”

With those words Twilight Velvet entered the kitchen to look around for a moment. Noticing not only the coffee but a mountain of steaming pancakes the older mare could not help but smile.
“Sweetie, you are a guest. You did not have to get up early to make breakfast for all of us.”

The young pegasus paws for a moment at the floor while hiding her face behind her mane from the gaze of the elder Twilight.
“Well um, I’m usually up early. And I just wanted to be of use, sorry for causing trouble for you.”

“Don't worry about it dear, I sure as one am grateful that I did not have to make breakfast today” The older mare looked at the heap of breakfast on the counter, sure she was glad not to have to do all the work that morning but the sheer amount was ridiculous. A single thought entered the mare`s head. 'Well at least Twily won`t be going hungry if this is how she usually cooks.'

Aside from a few small gasps at the amount of food prepared breakfast had gone by smoothly. Cleaning up afterwards had been a bit of a hassle. The kitchen was just not built to accommodate so many ponies at the same time. And it was not before long that goodbyes were being said.
Promises of checking in and attempts to keep further meddling out were made as the two mares departed to the train station on their own. Spike had elected to stay with Twilight's parents for a while; he claimed it was to study the few books on dragon culture in the royal library. Twilight on the other hoof knew it was also to be heavily pampered upon by her parents like they usually do when they stop by. For some odd reason her mother could never stop doting on the little guy.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Throughout the previous evening and the entire trip a single thought occupied their minds, but neither had spoken a single word about it. That was until they were almost back in Ponyville when Twilight spoke up “Fluttershy? I don't mean to intrude, but I think it is time we should really discuss this.” A simple nod was all the reaction received, but it was all that was needed to show that her friend agreed. “Personally I think it would be best to play it safe. Although she is one of our best friends, Rarity is the queen of gossip in Ponyville. Sooner or later she will find out by means of her clients from Canterlot. I don't wish to hurt them by forcing them to learn from an outside source. We should tell them, and sooner rather than later.”

Although slightly muffled by her mane Fluttershy`s voice was still crystal clear. “Ooh yes, that would be most unpleasant if they found out from somepony else. But do you think they will accept us? I mean, not implying that there is an, us besides the contract. Well of course there is a us as friends but not as *Eep*” The last part had been dwindling in volume only to completely disappear as a blue eye peeked from under the mane and noticed the strange look on Twilight's face.

For a moment a thought crossed Twilight's mind, how would they react? Surely they would have to phrase things better then how Fluttershy had just done. Definitely not speaking of a us, but rather of the choice they never got.

“We will be fine I think. It’s not like we choose this right? But how about this, why don't you go home for tonight and think about this. I’ll come by tomorrow evening for dinner and we will discuss strategy. How does that sound?”
The yellow Pegasus meekly nodded her condensing reply. And not a moment too soon as the quaint little town known as Ponyville had come in sight signaling the end of their journey back home and the beginning of a whole new one.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

The day had gone by without a hitch, for the moment nopony suspected anything. Twilight was thankful for the fact that the little village was cut off from much of the mainstream gossip of the capital. Although one could travel in between within a mere three hours it always was quiet around here. Fluttershy was happy about it, but she knew it could also be over in mere moments.
The moment her parents would wake up from their magically induced coma. But worries would have to wait, first there was something far scarier and perhaps even outright dangerous; Twilight's cooking.

And that last terror was only a few taps on a door away. With a sigh she knocked, it would be best to get it over with as soon as possible. After a few dainty knocks she could hear the clip-clop of hooves coming towards her as well as the reddish yet strangely purple hued glow of her friend’s magic enveloped the door. But instead of her mate-to-be a large plume of black smoke greeted her as it sought freedom in the open air. And from the smoke Twilight appeared, her fur coat scorched in several places and strangely enough a small flame, no larger than that of a match, was dancing on top of her head.

Although it could have been very dangerous, a small puff of smoke exited Twilight's mouth as she coughed. The mere sight of it was enough to draw a small giggle from the yellow Pegasus as she blew the small flame out. She knew she needed to be concerned, but the sight of it all had been just too funny. “Are you alright?”

Her friend stared at her with a ashamed blush on the face.
“Nothing a bit of burn-ointment will not cure I guess. So um, Fluttershy? How do you feel about going out for dinner tonight? Because I doubt that I could get the kitchen operational again anytime soon.”

“Ooh I know a nice little place, Rarity and me always go there for lunch after our spa-dates. We could go there, if you want to that is.”

Twilight clopped her front hooves together in a bit of excitement. “Good then let me freshen up a bit and we can get going.” With those words said she rushed back inside and up the stairs towards the living area of the tree. Leaving a bit of a bewildered Fluttershy behind in the doorway.

A few moments later Twilight reappeared in the still smoke filled room of the library in a flash of reddish purple light. Now completely clean and burn-free and carrying a saddlebag with a few scrolls peeking from them. “So shall we go then? I hope it will not be busy for we have a lot of discussing to do.”

The cafe had not been far from the library, but that was not a real surprise seeing its central location at the market square. Both mares walked in foreboding silence. Well at least until they reached their destination. The exterior of it was plain and simple, but the smells coming out of it were enough to make their mouths water. Upon entering Twilight could see why Rarity would come here with Shy after the spa. It was in all words a simple and humble place. A few tables and a small bar, but most of all not crowded. It did not take long before a dark green earth pony mare dressed in what seemed to be a waiters dress approached them.

“Aah Miss Fluttershy how nice to see you again. Miss Rarity is already seated, if you wish I can ask whether she would have you and your date joining her this lovely evening?”
Both mares looked at each other with both shock and blush and then back at the hostess. It took a few moments before Fluttershy`s voice came through the hiding spot of her mane. Her voice soft, trembling “S-s-s-she's not my date. We are just good friends. But you can ask Rarity if you want to.”

Twilight looked at her friend, and then at the leaving hostess. Did it really look like they were on a date? A date like a romantic date? Between two mares no less? That would be unheard of, at least she had never heard of it. Sure there were rumors about a couple of others floating about town. But they were just reeeeaaalllly good friends right? This would certainly speed up the concept of telling their friends, beyond what she had originally planned. She had planned to propose to Fluttershy to tell all their friends during a sleepover sometime next week. She had even made a few charts on it, based around a study that showed telling strange or bad news was always better to be done in groups.

But with a near silent sigh she knew it had to be done this way now. As much as she loved her friends, Rarity would not stop bothering them about why they were dining together. And of course, the hopeless romantic she was would obviously come to all the wrong conclusions. Fluttershy was right to accept this request. She took a deep breath to calm herself. No need for another episode, no need for to freak-out again. Ooh look, the hostess was trotting back now.
“Miss Rarity has accepted your request. Please follow me and I will show you to your seats.”

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

I could not believe my eyes when I saw two of my dearest friends walking through that door. I had simply wanted to indulge myself in fine cuisine and perhaps a bottle of wine. A month, a whole month with Sweetie Belle alongside various clients. They had all wanted a custom made piece. Her wish of breaking through in Canterlot had come true thanks to the royal wedding. But like all wishes, they all come at a price. In this case a long period of stress.

But this was even better, two of her friends together in a restaurant. Without the others, she was dying to know why they would come here like that. She had excellent view of the door from her usual seat. Their appearance here was unusual to say the least. Both Fluttershy as Twilight were known not to leave their home in the evening often. And what was with them standing so close to each other with a cute little shocked blush. Gracing Plate was just being her normal self, asking them about their seats nothing more, nothing less. But that reaction, could it be? Could they really be here on a date with each other? Ooh the scandal that would be, two mares secretly in love and exploring their feelings with each other.

Still dreaming about what was seen Rarity had not seen Gracing Plate approaching her table until she was nudged by the hostess. A few whispers and nods later the pearl-white Unicorn was alone again. But not for long, as agreed her friends were walking towards her table. 'Now Rarity, remain calm and don't give away too early that you know. You can pry it from Fluttershy in a few days anyway during her monthly preening. She's always eager to divert attention from that. And who knows, you might learn some juicy tidbits today.'

“Well hello darlings, what brings the two of you to this establishment tonight?” Ooh there it is, the blush is growing even wider. There is definitely something more, then just two friends having dinner, going on here. “But please, sit down I was just about to order myself. “

A few moments later the three of us had given our orders. Unsurprisingly both Fluttershy as Twilight had gone for a rather unrefined dish of a simple flower salad with a bit of jasmine and yogurt based dressing. Really now, didn't they know that a dressing like that goes straight to the flanks? Ugh, they are so lucky that they can just eat what they want without gaining a pound. As for drinks, a bottle of wine for Twilight and me, and a carafe of soda water for Fluttershy.

They had not answered my question, but that is not surprising. Although I love them to death, they are not the most sociable of ponies. Fluttershy's crippling shyness and fear of others causes her to pretty much never speak her mind unless needed. And Twilight, well Twilight you can count on her to redefine the meaning of social inapt-ability. The poor dear could never pick up a clue on these matters. So perhaps it was time for a more direct approach.
“I do apologize for intruding on your date, but I could not help myself when I saw how cute you two looked together.” With a look of mock insult I winked at them. “But I am hurt you never once told me of your little crush Fluttershy, so how did this come to happen?”

I never would have told them, but me and our other three friends all had a little wager going on about them. One had a pot of forty bits, with various time periods on when Fluttershy would finally be comfortable enough to come out to us. The dear had always tried to hide it and was rather good at it, but we all knew she caught a few glances at our haunches when she thought we weren't looking. We didn't mind of course, but we all hoped that one day she would tell us. That or find herself a nice mare to be with. Celestia knows how much the poor thing deserves and needs that. It looked like Pinky was winning that one. As for Twilight, I was going to win this one. A nice sum of fifty bits will be coming my way, splitting the pot with Applejack. A small friendly wager between friends about her preference nothing harmful you know. We had both said that our lavender friend's barn door at least swung both ways. Unlike Pinkie's preposterous idea of her being pansexual, I mean the nerve of that girl just making up words like that.

Lost in thought I had not noticed the awkward silence stemming from the mares in front of me. Well silence, a small squeak combined with a profane blush from Fluttershy. I knew better then to pry anything from her in this state. The years I have known her had taught me that much. With no other source I turned to my scholarly friend. “Come one now darling; don't leave a lady in the dark like this. How did this come to be?”

The reaction I expected was a profane blush with a cuddle for comfort, but what I got shocked me more than anything I had ever expected. I was at home in the upper-class of our world, but even I was not aware this was still being practiced.

“There is no easy way to say this but to just throw it out there. Fluttershy and I wanted to discuss a way to tell all of you that we are to marry each other come spring. An arranged marriage as it is called I believe.”

I believe my reputation would never recover if any of my clientele would see my reaction to her answer. Well not just the answer but also the callous tone she said it in, there was no joy or remorse in it. It had been nothing but one of the many scientific statements she made in the past. I lost all grace and elegance as I preformed the vilest things I had ever done in my life. Spraying my lavender friend with the sip of wine I just attempted to drink right before asking in a unladylike raised voice “YOU ARE IN A WHAT?”

*Authors notes:
The 'incident is nothing serious, it will be explained later on.
Pansexuality does actually exist, but many confuse it with bisexuality due to the possibility of being attracted to a member of the same gender. The rough explanation would be: not being limited by common concepts such as gender. In short; not really caring what your partner will be as long as you care for (for lack of better term) “it”.