• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 963 Views, 26 Comments

A Slice of Life...with Ponies - Yuki Harima



Mike is going to college, with the crazy ponies he sees, See how he will survive college with ponies

  • ...
10
 26
 963

saying goodbye and starting something new

A slice of life…with ponies:
By Yuki Harima
original post date 10/1/12

“Honey, are you sure you have everything.” My Mom asks.

“Yes mom, I do” I replied a little annoyed at my mom checking everything before she would leave me at college. Well today was a big day after all. Today is the day that I am going to college and finally going to better educate myself in my field of study…which is undetermined right now since I can’t decide what to do with my life. Well, I got two years to decide. The college I am going to is a fairly small college. It only has less than 2,000 students but I don’t care really. I just got the most financial aid from the college and due to my grades and community work; I got in with having to pay anything.

The college itself is located in good old Massachusetts. You know, where the pilgrims set sail to and had the very first thanksgiving. Well the college is located around three hours away from my home town in MA but I am fine with it.

“Are you positive Michael?” My mom still worrying about how I will survive without her help.

“I am positive,” I try to reassure her as I walk her to the car outside of my residence hall which looks like an old Victorian style house. It is pretty big and the color of it is brown. I was told that it can house over 4o students.

“Well, let me take one last good of you before I leave.” She says and just stops right in front of me. My mom is not that tall of a person. She is only 5 feet tall, has blond hair, and is European. Well I am a mixture of different European ethnicities but it is easier to just say that I am white.

“You are such a tall boy,” She comments

“Mom…I am 5 foot six. I am pretty average.” I try to tell her but she ignores me.

“You got your lovely blue eyes to match your blond hair.” She points out at my messy hair do.

“Mom they are nothing special, shouldn’t you be going…” I keep hinting but she just continues on.

“You have such a pretty face…”

“Only a mother could love, yes I know mom.” I finish it for her after hearing her say that for the past 18 years of my life. “Now shouldn’t you be leaving?”

“Now wait a minute Mike” my mom getting a little bit impatient with me wanting her to leave. “Have you been seeing those imaginary friends of yours?”

“Imaginary friends…” I repeat what my mom said. I don’t turn my head but just my eyes to see Twilight Sparkle looking at me, giving me a smile.

Now you guys are probably wondering why I see a magical talking unicorn from a children’s show right next to my mother. Well the answer is simple…I suffer from a mental disorder. I use to watch a show called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic when I was around 11 years old. I love the show and the message that it was telling people everywhere. I love it so much that it got to the point where I wanted the My Little Pony toys and play with them instead of making friends. Then one day I started to see them in my room. I came home from school to see who else but Twilight and her friends. I was thrilled at first and I try to show my mom, but she couldn’t see them. She thought that I was going through a phase in my life and ignored it and thought it was my overactive imagination. I didn’t care. I have some ponies to talk to and that made me content. As time went on, I would go to my room and talk to the many ponies that I can see. Usually, they were the main six but sometimes the princesses would visit me and say hello.

As time went on and I became 13, my mom started to be concerned for me and took me to see a therapist. He thinks that I suffer from a disease involving with the lack of friends I have, and my subconscious is creating friends for me. So, they gave me medication to stop me from seeing them. We did that until high school but it didn’t work; however I didn’t want them to know so I told lied that it did work. When I got home Applejack got angry at me for lying to them, but I said I was protecting them.

I was a little bit happy that I saw them but I got sad when the show got cancelled in my freshmen year in high school. When that happened I realized that I have been wasting my time with the show and that I need to do more with my life. That didn’t work out because I still saw them and talked to them on a daily basis. They would help me but sometimes they would be of a nuisance to me. They would just appear out of nowhere and bother me. Like right now.

Getting back to real life now, I look back at my mom, “…no mom I don’t see them.”

“Well if you do then go to the therapist that our insurance company recommended.” She hands me the card for the therapist.

“Mom, I will try to go once I am settled in for college.” I try to comfort her. My mom…you gotta love her for being over protective of her only son.

I walk my mom back to the car. “I really am going to miss you.” She sadly said.

“I will miss you, too.” I walk over to her and gave her one last hug. “I’ll try to keep in contact with you.”

“Awe,” Twilight says at what I am doing.

“Shut it Twilight” I mumble.

“Did you say something Mike?” my mom asks.

“No, I didn’t,” I lie to her. I don’t want her to worry about me anymore then she has to.

My mom gets into the car and starts to pull away. She rolls down the window to say one last thing. “Make sure you call me when every week to talk about school.”

I sigh, “I will mom” I yell back at her. She drives away from my hall.

I grab all of my things and head up to my hall.

“Well Mike what are we going to do?” Twilight asks me.

“Well I want to go bring my stuff in my room and possibly meet my roommate. Hopefully you guys won’t bother me enough to make him think I am crazy.”

“Why would people think you are crazy?” Twilight questions what I said. I merely facepalmed at what she just said.

“Because Twilight, I am the only one who can hear you, see you, and talk to you guys.” I explain.

“Well what is wrong with talking ponies,” She inquires.

I stop in front of the residential hall entrance. I turn towards Twilight and say to her as clearly as I can, “Because, You guys are not real and are just a figment of my imagination.”

I guess what I said got to her as she just frown at me and vanishes from my sight. I just sigh at what just happened.

I use the key to open the door to the hall and walked inside. The first thing is the common room which is to the right of the entrance and it is pretty big. There is a HD 42 inch TV, two couches and some chairs. On the left is the staircase that leads up to the bedrooms. In the common area, I see other students talking to their parents and other students as well. I should probably say something but I really don’t want to associate myself with anyone. I take go up the staircase and go find my room. It was pretty easy since my name was on the door. My roommate was as well and his name is Hikaru. He must be foreign if his name is Hikaru.

I look around to see that the beds are towards the end on the room which is directly in front of the door. There are two closets on each side of the bed including a desk for each of us. However, there was someone…or somepony bouncing on one of the beds.

“Pinkie Pie!” I shout at her, and then I shut my mouth and take a look around in case if anyone heard me. No one is in the hall and nobody came out to see the outburst. I made a sigh of relief as no one notices me and I walk in to close the door.

“Whoo!” Pinkie Pie exclaims. “This bed is super springy! I can keep jumping up and down and up and down and up and down and…” she could not finish that statement as I grab her off the bed and put her down onto the floor.

“Awe, why did you have to be a party pooper?” She said in her usual manor.

“Pinkie this is my room and I need to get it ready.” I scold her. “I need to set up before my roommate comes.”

“But I just want to throw you a super party for being at college!” Pinkie Pie tells me…or more like shouts it in her case.

I sigh…”Pinkie Pie…no party please. I just want to set my room up in peace and quiet. “Then I hear a knock on the door. “I’m coming!” I yell. I walk over to the door and open. “Hello Hikaru my name...hun” I look around to not see my roommate but to see five other equines. Mainly the rest of the main six.

“Thanks for lettin’ us in” Applejack thanks me and walks right by me. The rest thank me as well and walk right into my room without noticing how far down my jaw is on the ground. I close the door and see all the ponies looking around my room. Twilight is looking around the room. Fluttershy looks outside to see that there are birds outside my window. Rarity looks appalled at the wall coloring and the mess the room is.

“Mike, can you be a dear and change the color of the room, it is simply dreadful” Rarity complains.

“There is nothing I can do about that Rarity.” I say a little bit annoyed at what is going on. There are multi colored ponies in my room! You would think that after seven years of this, I would get used to it.

“Hey do you have anything in the thing?” Rainbow Dash asks, while going through the mini-fridge.

“Dash get out of there!” I yell at her. I go get Dash to see Pinkie Pie jumping on the bed again. “Pinkie Pie!”

“But…it…is…super…bouncy.” She spoke in-between jumps. I put Dash down only for her to join Pinkie Pie in jumping on the bed. A small headache is now forming in the back of my head. I go into my bag to search for my lifesaver: Pain killers.

Now, I turn around to see the group of ponies in front of my. “Listen up ponies!” I attract their attention. “Can you please leave me right now. I want to go set up my room before my roommate comes over. Then after that you can come over and visit me.” I hope they agree with me. I need to gather my thoughts.

“Oki Doki Loki” Pinkie Pie gives her trademark saying and bounces out of the room.

“Alrighty then Mike, See ya later.” Applejack walks out of the door behind the pink ball of sunshine.

“Well then Mike, I hope that we can see each other in a more…suitable place.” Rarity says in her high society tone and leaves

“Umm…alright Mike. I guess I will see you later…I mean if you want to.” She nervously says and leaves as well.

Rainbow Dash, doesn’t say anything and just leaves with her friends. The look on her face was saying “I am bored.”

Twilight was the last one to leave. She walks to the door but then stops and looks at me. “Well I hope we can meet when you are happier. We are your friend after all. “ She says in a sad tone. She looks sad now and hurt. I feel some pain after yelling her…twice in one day.

I loosen up a bit and walk over to Twilight to give her a hug. “I know Twilight you are my friends. I am just stressed out that I am all alone in this matter and I need time to think about what to do. I know you guys mean well, so please forgive me and come back later.”

I stop hugging her and see that she is smiling. I let go of her and she vanishes. I go over to my things and start to take out the bedding. I make my bed nice and neat. I start to put my clothes in the bureau in the closet when I hear a motherly voice behind me.

“Hello Mike. How are you doing today?” the voice asks me. I turn around to see Princess Celestia, sitting on my bed.

I continue with what I am doing and respond, “I am doing fine. Your student came by with her friends.”

“Well my student told me that you weren’t in the mood so I came over to see what the problem is.” She tells me.

I decide to stop what I was doing and walk over and sit right next to Celestia. I take a deep breath before saying something. “Well to be honest, I am afraid of the future. I am in a whole new place with people I haven’t seen before. There is also the fact that I don’t know what I want to major in.”

Princess Celestia takes what I said and thinks it over while I just think about what is my schedule looking like for the first week at college.

She finally spoke to me in a sweet tone, “Just try to focus on one problem at a time. You don’t need to worry about the future because it would just cloud your mind of unnecessary thought.” I nod at her response.

She continues, “The next thing is to try to see if there is to understand your surroundings better and you should get a map.” I just stare at her incredulously.

“I already knew about that” I stated.

“Then why didn’t you do it.” She rebukes my claim. I was about to say something but then again, it would support the fact that I am arguing with an imaginary deity from a cartoon. SO I kept my mouth shut.

Celestia just giggles, “I thought so.” She stops giggling and continues where she left off. “With the new people, just be yourself. How else did my subjects get to like you and be your friends.”

“Well, due to the fact that you are a figment of my insanity, I can have you already like me because you are not real.” I explain to her.

Celestia just sighs at this, “If you still want to believe that then go ahead but still listen to what I am telling you.” I can hear a little bit of annoyance in her tone.

“Finally, don’t worry about your major. Just take some time to think it over and see what you want to do. Then you can actually decide where you want to major in.” She finishes.

Well Celestia raises a good point on all of my worries. Sometimes these ponies can be really helpful to me.

“Now you better get ready, your roommate is almost here.” She just says.

As if on cue I turn around to hear the door knock. I look at it and then back to Celestia; however she just disappears without a trace. And now on the other hand…they can drive me insane. I might as well get going to meet this foreign roommate of mine.

Author notes: Hey there everypony, Yuki Harima here. I got this idea of a story in my head when I was getting ready for college. Idea came and go and now I am writing a story about my buddy Mike here. Isn't that right Mike.

Mike: How did I even end up here?

You see I want this to be relatable to people as I reflect some of my expirences onto Mike here...except that I know my major, I am not as mean as MIke and I can tolerate...

Mike: WE GET IT!

Then just sit back and read and hopefully I can get this bad boy finish by the end of the year.

Mike: Just don't make me seem crazy or anything.

Anyway if you like what you see then leave a favorite and a like. If you want to work on a collaboration with me then send me a PM. Also if you need any help just send me a PM as well as I love to help the many people and ponies on the site. I also got some other awesome stories tht you should check out and leave a watch if you want to hear me talk about ponies and possibly other things in life. [As always I support all types of comments excpet for hate on other users and just pure hate in general that has nothing to do with the story or anything on the site. As always stay frosty, stay sharp and remember: stay calm...AND BRONY ON!/b]