• Published 30th Sep 2012
  • 3,911 Views, 171 Comments

A Head Full of Clay - Squinty Mudmane



The Cutie Mark Crusaders attempt to rediscover the all-but-forgotten art of golem making.

  • ...
2
 171
 3,911

Chapter 12: Improvisation

“Are we there yet?” Sweetie Belle complained from the back of the row, forcing her way through a particularly nasty mess of brambles.

“No,” Golem stated flatly.

“Is there a long way to go still?”

“Yes.”

She and Scootaloo let out collective groans. By now, all three fillies were covered in small nicks and scratches from grasping vines and thorns. They had been walking through the Everfree Forest for hours, following the steady and relentless advance of the clay pony at the front. Although Golem was able to flatten some of the undergrowth under its hooves, there was still enough left to be a bother for the fillies. Only Apple Bloom seemed to be in as high spirits as ever.

“This is stupid. Why would anypony ever have walked this way? There’s not even a path to walk on!” Scootaloo snapped in frustration as a stubborn vine refused to let go of her right hind leg.

“Well, maybe there once was. The forest can’t have been here forever, right? Maybe this was a road back when Tincoat lived!” Apple Bloom suggested cheerfully, even as a thin branch swiped her across the cheek. “Ouch! Think about it, we could be the first ponies in a thousand years to be walkin’ this way!”

“Yeah, I’m just giddy with excitement,” Sweetie Belle muttered quietly.

Eventually the density of the forest began to thin, and the group finally stepped out into the open again, revealing a sloping landscape full of green hills and blanketed in a fine, light mist. A dirt road wove its way towards a small village nestled at the top of one such hill. Far off in the distance, a towering, snow-capped mountain was visible, which Golem was making a beeline for.

“So, uhm, Golem, if’n ya don’t mind me askin’, how d’ya know which way to go?” Apple Bloom asked. “Ah know ya said somethin’ ’bout followin’ a trail an’ all, but—”

“The Sixth traveled in many different directions. The trail we follow is the most recent. It points to that mountain,” Golem replied.

“An’ ya can tell this even though the trail’s over a thousand years old?” the farmfilly asked in amazement.

“Yes.”

“Hey, AB, not to interrupt your little chat with clay-face there, but if we’re gonna send that letter back home, maybe we should head to that town over there and do it? You know, before the grown-ups start crawling the walls or something,” Scootaloo interjected before Apple Bloom could ask another question.

“Oh, yeah, right! Good thinkin’, Scoots.” She turned towards Golem, who had stopped a bit further ahead and was now looking back towards them. “C’mon, Golem, we just gotta make a detour into the town over there.”

“The trail does not lead that way,” it stated flatly.

Apple Bloom smiled as she followed Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle towards the town. “We gotta tell our family that we’re goin’ away for a while, it won’t take long.”

“This delay is pointless,” Golem protested in the same flat monotone.

“What, you’re in a rush or something? You’ve been waiting a thousand years; you can wait a few hours more,” Scootaloo shot back at the clay pony.

“I have not. Those that came before me were the ones that waited. I only—”

“Whatever.”


“I hope they normally have better weather around here than this, or somepony was having a laugh when they named this town,” Sweetie Belle remarked with a glance towards the sky, the sun hidden behind a layer of white clouds.

The town—which a signpost at the road told the fillies was named Sunny Hill—was a small hamlet not even half the size of Ponyville. It had a town square and a wide street leading in and out of settlement, but apart from that, the houses were placed haphazardly, with some built directly into the slope of the hill, others placed on stilted platforms to provide an even surface. The town seemed largely empty, though lights in the houses and a faint murmur from what looked like a tavern indicated that the denizens were merely indoors.

“You sure it was a good idea to bring it along? Ponies are probably going to notice,” Scootaloo pointed out with a nod towards Golem, who was looming behind them.

“It’s got a name,” Apple Bloom admonished the pegasus. “But you’re probably right.” She looked over her shoulder. “Hey, Golem, why don’tcha wait here while we go send that letter?”

“Very well,” the clay pony replied.

“Let’s just hope nopony comes outside and wonders why there’s a new statue in the middle of their town,” Sweetie Belle said to no one in particular as the three fillies headed towards the post office, identified as such because of the wooden sign with a letter carved into it hanging above the doorway. A lime-coloured mare with a yellow mane sat at the desk reading a newspaper. Apple Bloom walked up to the mailpony and cleared her throat.

“’Scuse me, miss, but we’d like to send a letter.”

“Well, you’re in luck, then. This is a post office. Leave your letter by the desk and it’ll be sent along with the next batch,” the mare replied without looking up from the newspaper.

“Well, uh, it just so happens we ain’t got it written yet. Ya reckon we could borrow some paper?”

“Over in the corner,” came the terse reply, a hoof gesturing at a table by the window with a small stack of papers on top of it.

Apple Bloom looked at her two friends, who both gave little shrugs, before all three moved over to the table. They each grabbed a piece of paper and began to scribble their own letters in various degrees of shaky mouthwriting. After finishing, they pushed the letters over the desk towards the mailpony, who gave them a cursory look.

“You forgot the stamps,” she said.

The three fillies exchanged glances. “Stamps?” Apple Bloom asked hesitantly. None of them had so much as a single bit between them.

“Stamps,” the mailpony repeated in a slightly exasperated voice, giving the three fillies a look of mild annoyance. “No stamps, no delivery. Sorry.”

“But we don’t have any stamps!” Scootaloo protested. This had not been part of the plan.

“Then I’m afraid I can’t help you. Best go ask your parents for the bits. It's one bit for twenty stamps,” the mare replied, going back to her newspaper.

“Now what do we do?” Scootaloo whispered to Apple Bloom, but before she could reply, Sweetie Belle spoke up in the most plaintive, heart-wrenching voice known to ponykind.

“But… but we got lost during a field excursion with our class,” she sniffled. “A-and now we can’t find our way back home to Ponyville, and it’s been almost a day now, and”—tears were welling up in her eyes all of a sudden, and in a stunning imitation of Rarity when she was at her best, Sweetie Belle broke into full-on gushing wailing—“and we just miss our families so muuuuuch!”

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo looked at their friend in surprise for a moment, before catching on to her act and putting on their own best pouting and mournful expressions. The mailpony’s expression turned to one full of concern in an instant.

“Oh my goodness, I had no idea! I’m so sorry! I’ll make sure these are sent right away! You said you needed these sent to Ponyville, right?” The three fillies nodded in unison, Sweetie Belle still making pitiful little sobbing sounds. The mailpony grabbed the letters in her mouth and disappeared through a door at the back of the office, returning a few moments later.

“There, the letters will be on their way in just a little while. Your parents will know soon and come pick you up, I’m sure. If you’re hungry, head on over to the bakery on the other side of the street. Just tell the owner that Clover sent you, and he’ll give you something to eat, no charge.” She smiled comfortingly at the three fillies, who all looked a bit taken aback at the sudden kindness shown by the previously dismissive mare. Apple Bloom had the presence of mind to speak up first.

“Wow, thank ya kindly, miss! That’s real nice of ya!” She beamed at the mailpony, and Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo nodded enthusiastically in agreement. Clover smiled warmly at them.

“Oh, don’t worry about it, dear. You should’ve mentioned that you were lost sooner. Now go on, I’m sure you all must be starving by now.”


“Well, that went better’n Ah expected,” Apple Bloom said upon exiting the post office. Behind the building, unseen by all three, a pegasus with a pair of saddlebags took off in the direction of Ponyville.

“Yeah, that was some quick thinking back there, Sweetie Belle. Nice going on the whole crying act,” Scootaloo said with a grin and nudged Sweetie Belle playfully in the side.

“Thanks,” Sweetie Belle murmured with a sheepish little smile. “Though I feel a little bad for abusing her trust and generosity like that. She was such a nice pony, after all.”

“Maybe, but I’m not going to say no to free—uh oh.” Scootaloo tensed and looked over to where they had left Golem. Two young stallions were eyeing the clay pony curiously.

“Should’ve seen that coming,” Sweetie Belle muttered.

“So long as it doesn’t talk or move, we’ll be fine,” Apple Bloom replied in a low voice.

“Since when did we get a new statue for the town square?” one of the stallions asked his friend.

“I am not a statue,” came the ethereal reply. Both stallions let out little yelps of surprise and looked at the clay pony with wide eyes.

“What in Equestria—” the second stallion blurted.

“Oh, horseapples,” Apple Bloom cursed.

Once again, Sweetie Belle seized the initiative, sprinting over to Golem before her friends could react. She pulled to a gliding halt next to the clay pony with a dramatic flourish.

“That’s right, it’s not a statue, it’s Claypoh N. E., the amazing talking puppet of the even more amazing ventriloquist, Sweetie Belle… Me!” she announced in one breath, flashing a pearly white smile at the two stallions.

“Ventrilo-what?” Scootaloo mouthed to Apple Bloom, who merely shrugged helplessly in response.

The two stallions exchanged glances. “It’s… a puppet?” one of them, an earth pony with a dark grey coat and white mane, asked with a look at the clay pony.

“No,” came the reply from Golem. Sweetie Belle nudged the leg of the clay pony.

“Oh, Claypoh, don’t be like that.” Sweetie Belle giggled, flashing another smile at the stallions. “It doesn’t really like being called a puppet.”

The other stallion, a pegasus with a dusty brown coat and a short-cropped red mane, looked from Sweetie Belle to Golem and back again.

“So… it’s you doing the talking?” he asked carefully.

“No, it is not,” Golem said.

“Oh no, it’s not me, it’s Claypoh,” Sweetie Belle replied with an exaggerated, conspiratorial wink at the stallions. The two ponies exchanged glances, before starting to chuckle.

“You know, you’re actually really good at that!” the earth pony said with a smile.

“Yeah, you should come give a show in the tavern. I bet everypony would be amazed! I sure am,” the pegasus agreed. Sweetie Belle bowed deeply.

“Claypoh N. E. and I will be sure to consider your suggestion. But right now, we need to get some food. Claypoh is getting awfully hungry.”

“No, I am not.”

The stallions chuckled again and headed towards the tavern, chatting with each other while occasionally looking over their shoulder at Golem. When they disappeared inside, Sweetie Belle let out a sigh of relief and sat down on her rump. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, who had both stood rooted to the spot in front of the post office, as absorbed by the spectacle as the stallions had been, rushed over to their friend.

“Great jumpin’ pony on a pogo stick, Sweetie Belle, that was amazin’! Where’d ya get that from?” Apple Bloom exclaimed in admiration. The unicorn filly gave a little shrug.

“I… don’t know. It just jumped into my mind. It seemed like something Pinkie Pie would do. So crazy it might work.”

“At this rate, you’re going to get your Cutie Mark in telling lies,” Scootaloo said in a teasing voice, grinning. Sweetie Belle looked at her in alarm.

“There’s no such thing as a Cutie Mark for lying, is there? I really, really don’t want something like that! Oh, please tell me there’s nothing!” she blurted, trying frantically to look at her own flank.

“Nope. Still blank,” Scootaloo confirmed after a moment. Sweetie Belle let out a sigh of relief.

“Phew. That’s got to be the first time I’m glad to hear that,” she breathed.

“Speakin’ of lyin’, though, we should probably consider hightailin’ it outta here before we draw more attention. We already got one pony thinkin’ we’re lost foals, while another two think Sweetie Belle is some kinda crazy carny,” Apple Bloom pointed out.

“But what about the free food from the bakery?” Scootaloo protested.

“It don’t feel right abusin’ that nice mailpony’s trust just to snag some free lunch.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” the pegasus filly admitted grudgingly.

“Besides, if I have to come up with another lie, I think my head is going to burst,” Sweetie Belle muttered.

“Why? You seem to be doing pretty good at it so far,” Scootaloo said with a smirk.

“Scootaloo!”

“What? Too soon?”

“Does this mean this delay is over?” the ethereal voice of Golem asked, snapping them out of their light-hearted bickering.

“Yeah yeah, don’t get your mane in a bunch. We’re going,” Scootaloo grumbled.

“So, how long do you think it’ll take until the letters reach Ponyville?” Sweetie Belle asked as they followed Golem out of town and resumed their course towards the distant mountain. “I mean, I know we’re not supposed to let them catch up to us, but I also really want to make sure they don’t worry that we’ve been foalnapped or something.”

“Ah ain’t sure. Ah reckon it’ll be a couple of hours or somethin’, maybe even a day. Ah mean, they probably only deliver mail once a day or somethin’, so we should have plenty of time ta get ahead,” Apple Bloom replied with a strained smile. “Besides, Ah’m sure they won’t be that upset. We did tell ’em we were havin’ a sleepover, an’ we kind of are. It’s just outdoors. An’ for several days.”

“If you say so,” Scootaloo said with less conviction.

“Yeah, Ah’m sure.” Apple Bloom trotted ahead of her two friends, her smile vanishing as soon as they could no longer see her face. It was replaced by a tense, nervous grimace along with a growing leaden weight in the pit of her stomach. “Really sure… Won’t be upset at all… No way…”


Less than an hour later, Glider was making his third and final delivery, this one at Sweet Apple Acres. The pegasus mailpony had been informed by his boss, Clover, that there was an emergency, and that he had to deliver three letters to their recipients on the double. Sunny Hill was hardly the busiest of towns, so getting to deliver something that was actually labeled as urgent was a refreshing change of pace. As he flew over the apple orchard, he caught sight of a mare dragging a cartful of apples towards the nearby farmhouse. He touched down next to her and cleared his throat.

“Excuse me, miss, are you Applejack? And if you aren’t, do you know where I can find her?”

“Yeah, Ah’m Applejack. Why?” the farmpony inquired with a raised eyebrow, nudging her hat back a bit.

“Got a letter addressed to you, miss. Express delivery.”

Applejack took the proffered letter and gave a grunt of acknowledgement as the mailpony took off again. As she quickly read the letter through, her expression changed from curious to perplexed and finally to incredulous as she finished reading.

“Ya gotta be kiddin’ me,” she murmured. She shrugged out of the cart’s harness and began to gallop towards Ponyville.

“Mac! Take the cart! Ah gotta go find the girls!” she called over her shoulder. There was a faint “Eeeeyup” in reply.

“Ya really gone done it this time, missy,” Applejack hissed between clenched teeth.