• Published 9th Jun 2023
  • 1,427 Views, 38 Comments

We Killed Opaline (Accidentally) - SamSwordsman123



Opaline sends Misty to get her another smoothie. Little does she know it will be her last.

  • ...
4
 38
 1,427

Poisoning Opaline

Misty was happy, she had finally gotten her cutie mark, and she had real friends. The ponies that had treated her with kindness and acceptance, as well as forgiven her for her misdeeds. Now she was working for them as a spy on Opaline, her adoptive mother that had lied to and abused her her whole life. For all Misty knew now, Opaline could have stolen her from her real parents. But Misty would work to stop her from the inside. The blue unicorn was bored, there was nothing to do until Opaline called her for some sort of task. At least she could admire her new cutie mark which was of a butterfly, something she’d always sketched on her flank. But now it was real, and she couldn’t be prouder. Of course, it was now getting old looking at the mark over and over again. Misty wanted more then anything the excuse to leave the castle and hang out with her friends. But she knew that Opaline could be watching them with the magic pool this very moment, if Misty were to talk to them and Opaline were to spot it she would get suspicious. Misty had to make sure her so called mother didn’t suspect her, or she’d get punished like never before! As long as she was in the castle, she could tell her friends what Opaline was up to. But so far, the evil queen had not told her anything.

“Misty!” Opaline’s voice called from outside. “I need you!”

Misty got to her hooves. “Coming Opaline!” She then looked at her cutie mark. She needed to cover that up. She’d used her tail during the first couple days after getting it, but Opaline would notice that sooner or later. Fortunately, Misty had thought of a solution with her friends. When she got the chance she’d texted them and they’d gotten her a bottle of paint that matched her blue coat. She’d snuck off to Maretime Bay after Opaline went to sleep and retrieved it just the night before. Quickly using her new magic to open the paint bottle and levitate the brush she’d been given with it, she covered the bristles with paint and brought it to her flank. It tickled as she painted over the cutie mark and made it appear as if she didn’t have one.

Once she set the brush and container down, she headed to Opaline’s throneroom.

“What took you so long?” the evil alicorn queen asked.

“Oh, just getting out of the bathroom,” Misty lied.

“Hmph, well I need you to do something for me,” Opaline said. “Go and get my favorite smoothie!”

“Oh, um… right! Right away Opaline!” Misty said.

She was about to run off, secretly looking forward to seeing her friends. But-

“Wait!”

Misty stopped.

“We can’t have you looking the same as you always do. Those ponies could recognize you! Here!”

She lit up her horn and pointed it at Misty who shivered. But when she was hit with the spell, it didn’t hurt as she expected. Instead it changed her coat and mane, inverting them. Now she was a green pony with a blue mane.

“Try to style it another way to be sure,” Opaline said as she ran a hoof through Misty’s mane.

“Um… right Opaline,” Misty said.

She ran off, grinning as soon as she turned away from Opaline. She galloped out of the dark castle, across the bridge and along the path toward Maretime Bay. Then she got out her cellphone and began using her magic to insert a number.

Zipp’s phone rang as she sat at the table in the Crystal Brighthouse with Sunny, Izzy, Hitch and Pipp. She looked at her phone and saw Misty’s picture. She smiled.

“Well, well our inside pony’s calling!” she said.

“Ooh! Put it to speaker!” Sunny said.

Zipp answered the call. “Misty?” she asked.

“Don’t say my name!” their spy’s voice came in. “Unless you’re in the brighthouse!”

“We are, don’t worry!” Zipp said.

Misty had shared with them several details about Opaline over the last few days by text. This included the fact that she could not spy on them with her magic pool while they were in the brighthouse thanks to the Unity Crystals. From now on whenever they talked about their enemy they made sure to do it strictly here.

“Are you okay? Has Opaline found out you’re spying on her?” Sunny asked in concern.

“Are you hurt and need rescuing?” Izzy asked.

“I’m fine, but Opaline has me out doing a task, I’m heading to Maretime Bay but I’m in disguise! She changed the color of my coat from blue to green so you guys wouldn’t recognize me! I’ll be there soon!”

Within an hour of galloping, Misty was there, she entered the brighthouse and faced her friends.

“What’s Opaline sent you here for? Steal the unity crystals? Destroy the garden? Ooh! Destroy the garden to distract us so you can steal the unity crystals!” Izzy guessed.

“No, nothing like that. She wants her favorite smoothie! Teeming Fireblast with a purple heart!” Misty said.

“Oh, so that’s who you had me make that smoothie for!” Sunny said, growing a frown. “Maybe I should lace it with something terrible to make it taste bad!”

They looked at her and laughed after a moment.

“Never thought I’d hear you say you actually want to make a bad smoothie, Sunny!” Hitch said.

“It would serve her right though!” Pipp said. “Maybe we should put something even worse in it! Get her sick!”

They laughed again.

“You know, this could be a good opportunity to stop her,” Zipp said.

“What do you mean?” Misty asked.

“Well, she doesn’t know you are our spy, and we need to take advantage of that while we can! Who knows when she’ll make her next move? I say we strike first!”

“Uh, how do we do that?” Izzy asked.

“By putting something in her smoothie,” Zipp said with a smirk.

“What like… poison?” Hitch asked. “You want to assassinate her?”

“No! I mean, I don’t want to kill her unless we REALLY have to,” Zipp said. “But, maybe we can drug her and knock her out then arrest her.”

“That could work,” Sunny said. “Can’t wait around for her to make the next move. I didn’t listen to you when you tried to warn me about the evil pony out there until she… or Misty… led us into a trap. I know you didn’t mean to Misty!” she added as she looked at their new friend and team member.

“I’ll go and get some chemicals to make the drug,” Pipp said.

“Alright! Time to get all sciencey!” Izzy said.

Pipp headed to the store nearby where a unicorn alchemist had a bunch of ingredients for potion making. They were soon all in the lab beneath Mane Melody where Pipp made her beauty products, but today she was going to make a drug to knock a pony out. Literally, usually she’d go for figuratively.

“Okay, essence of nightshade,” Pipp said as she picked up the last crucial part of the drug. “A couple drops of this will be enough to put any pony out for a nice long nap.”

“You sure it will work on an alicorn?” Zipp asked.

“Uh, I think it might not be as effective, I mean… I took some for sleep a couple night ago,” Sunny said. “My alicorn powers started kicking and it- didn’t work.”

“Opaline mentioned that alicorns are resistant to drugs now that I think about it,” Misty said.

“Okay, guess we’ll have to up the dosage,” Pipp said as she squirted in double what she gave herself to be able to sleep on restless nights.

That would kill a normal pony but it would hopefully not do the same for Opaline.

“I don’t know about this, guys,” Sunny said. “What if it kills her?”

“Might be a good idea to have an antidote handy just in case,” Pipp said.

She looked through her science book and found an antidote for the poison version of the drug. Pipp made it and Sunny got started on the smoothie while Misty got a purple heart from a store nearby. They put the poison inside then Misty added the heart while Pipp carried the antidote.

“Time to stop Queen Opaline!” Zipp said.

“Her evil days are over!” Izzy declared.

“She is about to face the jury!” Hitch said as he stomped the ground. “I’ve got to make sure she can’t use her alicorn magic to escape!”

“Follow me,” Misty said. “But keep your distance in case Opaline starts watching.”

They let Misty get ahead so they could barely see her then followed her into the forest northwest. Misty made sure to mark the trail with her hooves, making lines in the dirt every few trees for her friends to follow.

Finally they arrived, Opaline’s dark castle came into view. The Mane 5 shivered at the sight of it.

“That’s still the creepiest place I’ve ever seen!” Izzy said.

“We ought to make it make it a Nightmare Night Hangout!” Pipp said.

They could see their agent making her way across the bridge and galloped after her.

Opaline waited on her throne as her pet racoonicorn ran around. “That little pony is sure taking her sweet time.”

The racoonicorn nodded with his arms folded in a disapproving manner. She chuckled.

“You know you might make a good sidekick if I ever want to employ the critters to aid me,” Opaline said. “I bet you love stealing, don’t you?”

The critter nodded with a wide-open smile as if to say, Yeah yeah yeah!

“Good, perhaps I’ll send you to Maretime Bay to acquire things for me from now on! I have plans for Misty now that will require her complete attention so I can’t waste her on something as trivial as a smoothy! Although it is important for me to have something tasty to drink as a queen!”

Then the front door opened.

“Opaline! I got it!” Misty said.

“Ah, took you long enough!” Opaline said, even though it had been much quicker then expected.

She reached out with her magic. the smoothie flew from Misty’s hoof into Opaline’s. She took hold of it and sucked on the straw. She frowned.

“Tastes a little off! Actually… way off! What sort of smoothie did you get me!?” Opaline asked.

“Oh, just a little something to help you sleep!” a new voice said.

Sunny Starscout entered the castle with her friends, smirking at Opaline in defiance. Misty smirked as well. Opaline’s mouth fell open.

“Misty… you… you led them here?” she exclaimed.

“That’s right, and now we’re taking you down!” Misty said.

“YOU TRAITOR!” Opaline roared as she called upon her alicorn magic. Her horn lit up and her wings became engulfed in blue-purple fire.

The Mane 5, or Mane 6 now that Misty had officially joined the group, prepared themselves for battle. But Opaline was suddenly feeling ill and tired. Her vision began to blur.

“What… what did you do to me?” she asked as she suddenly began to stumble and cough.

“We may have laced your smoothie with a bit of nightshade!” Misty said.

“Now, you be a good little bad alicorn and let me give you this anti-“ Pipp flew toward the enemy with her antidote to prevent any deadly effects.

“No!” Opaline cried out in rage.

Her spell fired at Pipp who screamed and dove out of the way, dropping the antidote she’d been carrying which fell onto the floor. The glass bottle broke.

“No!” Sunny screamed.

Opaline began to choke more desperately as she clutched at her throat and coughed, her eyes turning red. Then she fell to the floor of her castle.

“Opaline!” Misty screamed running to her side as the spell inverting her colors deactivated. “No no no! We were just trying to put you to sleep!”

Opaline tried to say one final mean thing to the pony whom she’d raised as her own, but her poisoned throat would not allow it. She gagged and her head fell.

Misty sighed. “Oh, Opaline, this is not how I wanted it to end.”

A few tears escaped her eyes. Despite everything, there was still a part of her that cared for her adoptive mother.

“I’m sorry Misty,” Zipp said.

“What do we do now?” Izzy asked. “Without her, there’s no opposition! No villain to drive and challenge us!”

“Or give the story a twist!” Pipp said.

“Or any mysteries for you to solve Zipp!” Sunny said.

Zipp hoofplanted. “What have I done? I’ve ruined this whole story with one little suggestion!”

“There’s always… a new villain! Isn’t there?” Hitch asked.

Suddenly a racoonicorn came scurrying into the throneroom, he saw Opaline and ran to her side. Realizing she was gone, he glared at the Mane 6.

“I’ll destroy you little ponies for this!” the racoonicorn said.

“Uh, he said he’ll destroy us!” Hitch said pointing.

They looked at him with wide eyes for a moment then began laughing.

"Introducing the next major villain, Killer Racoonicorn!” Izzy said.

They all rolled over laughing. The racoonicorn frowned for a moment then couldn’t help but laugh as well. It was ridiculous, he had always loved Hitch, though being able to steal whatever he wanted under Opaline had been a good offer.

Author's Note:

Okay, well it probably wasn’t as funny I hoped but I think the end was pretty funny. Made me laugh a couple times here and there. This is just done for kicks as the idea entered my head a couple days ago on Wednesday. Been a couple years since I a pure comedy but this had some darkness and sadness mixed in. Ah well.

Comments ( 38 )

... I don't know what I just read, but I love it. :rainbowlaugh:

Well, good riddance. She's not even a good villain anyway.

If you know what actual nightshade poisoning looks like, Opaline got it really easy here...

11606234
Trust me, it's better you don't.

The largest flaw of G5 is how it is too self-contained with a barebones and minimalist cast, as opposed to the large-scale continent filled with all sorts of fantastic creatures and cryptids of all sorts that was in G4 which apparently G5 supposedly shares the universe of...??

11606619
I've decided to personally consider it an alternate universe. Too many contradictions, and yeah the background characters could really use more chances to shine. Like the Pipsqueak trio, Rocky, Jazz, Posey, Sprout.

Edit: Also the battle we got was kind of underwhelming, not bad, just that I thought it should have more tension. Opaline is probably out of practice after hundreds of years but still she should have the experience to beat a new alicorn like Sunny. Then Misty would have to interven and save everyone somehow. Like shooting Opaline in the back.

You know it's silly for a villain to try to because the villain when even the villain

the racooicorn

laugh about how silly it is:rainbowlaugh:

In all, I thought this was a nice, silly story. I thought was interactions between the characters were humorous to help carry the tone of the story, and the comedy with a bit of sadness near the end was pretty well-done. I don't really have anything in the way of constructive criticism this time.

11606702
Glad it has your approval. Especially since you are probably my favorite comedian on here.

11606665
If anything, the fight between Sunny and Opaline should have been more of a rout; where Sunny due to her inexperience with Magic would be forced to run and hide from her stronger and more experienced opponent; using subterfuge and trickery to escape from Opaline at their first meeting.

Alas, the writers of G5 are a part of the Star Wars Fanfic Trilogy demographic: where well-established narrative concepts like "Character Arc" and "The Heroes' Journey" is completely ignored in favor of making a Power Fantasy Storyline where there are "high stakes" for our heroes that they must overcome by putting in as little effort as they possibly can, despite the writers not wanting to make any sort of meaningful or intelligent challenge or obstacle that the Heroes are forced to experience very human emotions like Loss, Betrayal, Sorrow, Anger, Arrogance or even a moment of conveyed personal weakness that would serve to have the audience empathize with their plight more and that can only be overcome through Self-reflection, Diligence, and Training.

The kind of character-driven story where there is no place for a character-driven story.

11606877
So Twilight Sparkle and her friends shouldn’t’ve been able to defeat Nightmare Moon in their first encounter because they had zero training or experience whatsoever. Duly noted! Man, isn’t the pilot episode of FIM soooooo flawed ‘cuz it’s also trying to be a Power Fantasy storyline? Nevermind how both times, the main character was only able to win thanks to the power of friendship. Nope! That didn’t happen! Let’s just conveniently ignore the fact that Sunny would’ve actually lost to Opaline had it not been for the power of her friends’ cutie makes helping her out in the same way Twilight was only able to defeat Nightmare Moon thanks to the virtues of her friends’ actions powering up the Elements of Harmony.

Also, nice job bringing the Star Wars sequel trilogy into this as if that means anything. I already discussed at length with you in the comments of Star Strike’s video as to how they’re absolutely nothing alike on a story, character, and overall narrative level, and I have no desire to engage with you again after you left my brain rotting trying to figure out how you could possibly come to the conclusions you did. I’m just leaving this comment here so people see how flawed your logic is. Let’s not clutter the comments of someone else’s story with our beef now, m’kay? Good day.

This story was so funny on a multitude of levels. I love how Opaline’s main weakness was a poisoned smoothie and as ThePinkedWonder said, the comedy made this story on so many levels. Definitely didn’t expect the sad part at the end, but it’s interesting to see that Misty still feels bad for doing this to Opaline in spite of everything the evil alicorn put her through.

Also…I already love the racooicorn as the new villain. Now that’s a twist I didn’t see coming. How will the Mane 5 defeat this adorable little menace? The world may never know. Fantastic story!

11607308
First of all: Twilight did have training to go toe-to-toe with Nightmare Moon, since it was established that Twilight was the apprentice to Princess Celestia: you know, the same Pony that managed to beat Nightmare Moon the first time 1000 years ago? This implies that Twilight would have had a measure of training under her belt and would explain why Celestia had confidence that Twilight would be able to handle Nightmare Moon.
Sunny Starscout, much like Rey Palpatine before her: has absolutely ZERO training with Magic, and is fighting against another Alicorn that not only just drained Magic from Sparkys' fire, but is also the one Pony that Twilight couldn't defeat that she had to resort to removing all Magic just in the off-chance that Opaline would waste away in a magicless world, and as found out in that same Chapter-Whatever: was alive at the same time as Celestia and Luna as fillies, indicating that Opaline was of as high-tier of a spellcaster as the two were in their youth. To have Opaline be defeated by Sunny Starscout in a realistic manner is as likely to happen as an 8-Year Old being able to disarm a Nuclear Warhead... Unless you're Tails, because that kid has been ESTABLISHED as a genius.

There's no established baseline for Sunny just as much as there's one for Rey Palpatine to do all her cool Lightsaber Combat crap against Kylo Ren who was established as a fallen apprentice to Luke Skywalker.

So, any more leaps of illogic that you need me to dismantle for you Bosun Producer?

11607408
I don’t see how I’m the one with leaps of illogic here. Let’s go over that point you made. So automatically because Twilight was trained under Celestia, that’s automatically a license for her to be able to defeat Nightmare Moon? You think all the magic in the world would be able to train Twilight to defeat a literal god? Absolutely not. I literally explained to you in that other video that no amount of training would prepare Twilight to face Nightmare Moon. You think simply training under Celestia was enough to do it? Heck no! That would be implying that Twi was already blessed with the powers of an alicorn from day one and she just needed to be trained to hone those skills, which not only makes no sense in canon, it makes no sense in whatever universe you try to put that in! Also, I hate to tell you this, but even Celestia only was able to defeat Nightmare Moon because of the Elements!! Get it through your head. TWILIGHT. COULD. NOT. DEFEAT. NIGHTMARE. MOON. ALONE!!! The only reason why Twilight was able to defeat Nightmare Moon in the first place was because of the Elements of Harmony. I don’t know if we were watching the same pilot, but Twilight couldn’t do a thing once the Elements were destroyed. And even before that, she wasn’t experienced enough in the slightest to do that sort of thing. She couldn’t create the spark as it required unity, she couldn’t even land one hit on Nightmare Moon, she only made it out alive BECAUSE of her friends! What in Equestria are you not understanding?!! The same applies with Sunny!!

As I just established in my previous comment, Sunny would have outright LOST to Opaline had it not been for the power of the cutie marks. She did a good job holding Opaline off initially and that was ONLY because of the powers that the Unity Crystals gave her, which let’s refresh on whose magic the Crystals come from. That’s right, Twilight’s. And we’re talking Alicorn Twilight with years of experience’s magic here, not unicorn Twilight. Her alicornhood was given to her as a result of Twilight’s magic!! And even if we take that out of the equation, do you really think Sunny was going to defeat Opaline without her friends?! Similar to my Nightmare Moon example, the only reason why Sunny is alive is because her friends’ cutie marks gave her the strength to defeat and trap Opaline. She absolutely, positively would have not survived had it not been for that extra power because as you said, she has no training!! So what exactly is your argument here?!

Since you keep bringing up Rey, let’s compare and contrast that for a moment. You keep using the example of Rey beating Kylo Ren on her first try. And yes, she did it with no help whatsoever. Sunny did have help!! We’re talking about magical help vs no help here. Rey was portrayed as a Mary Sue, Sunny Starscout is NOT a Mary Sue. Do I need to bring up her list of character flaws again because it seems like you’re ignoring certain parts of my argument to suit your own narrative. If you actually read all of what I told you before, we wouldn’t even be having this debate in the first place. The only reason that Sunny beat Nightmare Moon was because of the cutie mark magic, which I’m sorry to say, doesn’t equate to beating Opaline on her own. If you’re in the midst of a boss fight and your friends or allies suddenly give you the power of anime to defeat the villain, does that mean you defeated the villain, as in on your own? No! And that is the point. Sunny would have given out eventually because she’s not all powerful yet! She had to receive help from her friends because that’s the point of MLP!! Hello?! Friendship?! Teamwork?!

You got any other moot points for me to rip to shreds?

11607443

11607408
You two please continue this in PMs, I don't want a big argument to take place here.

11607445
I don’t want to argue with them here either. I’m sorry for the inconveniences we’re causing you.

11607445
I already said my peace with this story.

11607475
So have I. You can hate G5 all you want if it makes you feel good, but please try to stay on topic and just keep your thoughts relevant to the story. I’ve had my beef with you already, and the only reason why I responded to you again is because I can’t stand when you invade other people’s stuff, whether that be stories or threads, and spam your off-topic, hate-filled vitriol towards G5 for no apparent reason. Let’s just agree to disagree and move on with our lives, okay?

11607315
Didn't see this comment earlier. Glad you liked it and thought it was funny. And yeah, Misty is kinda innocent, even though she saw Opaline's true colors, that pony still raised her. Yeah I thought that would be pretty funny as I remembered Opaline had a racoonicorn that she at first chased around but then let watch TV with her in Opaline alone. It's probably the same Racoonicorn that chased Misty at the end of the parade episode but the colors don't match. I'm gonna guess that is just another one of the writers stupid mistakes. MLP is good and all but they need to really keep track of their lore.

Hey did you know this story is gonna get a voiceover from the YouTube channel called “StraightToThePointStudio” ?

11608342
No! What? Really?:rainbowderp:

Edit: OMG it's true!:raritystarry:

Of course in true canon, it won't be this funny. Sadly :pinkiecrazy:.

11608749
Yeah. And it looks like I officially have an alicorn killing fetish :rainbowlaugh::facehoof::eeyup:. At least this one actually deserves it.

11608751
Yep. Though going by the show, Opaline had something to do with whatever happened to them methinks.

11608757
Yeah, if Twilight and the other alicorns are gone she is the cause. Of course I consider it an alternate universe but we all have our opinions.

11608760
Thing is, Hasbro has the ultimate final say on what is and isn't canon. Just easier I feel to accept everything you write or come up with is an AU, and then you can't be mad if Hasbro goes a different route on something.

11608771
Well they haven't officially said G5 is in the same universe as G4 to the best of my knowledge. Even if it seems to be a sequel, they are not keeping their canon straight. So I'm just gonna put a wall between the two generations for myself. You do your thing I'll do mine.

Okay the chapter name spoils the joke before you read anything else :(

11608775
Early press releases talked a big game about G5 being a sequel to G4. Though you do have a point in that there is the question of why Twilight and her friends couldn't stop Opaline from trashing everything she worked for - after everything else they'd gone up against, that's kind of a tough pill to swallow.

11609222
Yeah and they didn't show Twilight in her form from the last problem. So that combined with other things makes it so I can't take it seriously as a sequel. I'm just gonna consider an alternate universe and keep my own headcanon on what happened in g4 after that episode.

11608976
Perhaps just Ending Opaline would be better?

Dude. Do you have a killing alicorns fetish? Granted, Opaline had it coming. But still. Still a great read.

11609626
Like I told mystic sunrise I guess it's official now. Though it might be more accurate to say i have a break the curse of immortality fetish. Though this was just an idea that occurred for humor after Misty's redemption. My desire for breaking the curse had nothing to do with it this time.

racoonicorn

for some reason I saw Rocket Racoon with a Unicorn Horn.

rip bozo, worst character design of all time

Shrug. I guess it’s better than being turned into a tree

11761478
I think she was trapped in it.

11761478

11761522
Correct. Opaline was sealed within the tree, and if TYT is anything to go by the tree is seemingly now dead. Suggesting Opaline died along with it.

Login or register to comment