• Published 1st Oct 2012
  • 4,436 Views, 237 Comments

The Cutie Mark Allocation Agency - Hoopy McGee



Cutie marks have to come from somewhere, after all.

  • ...
14
 237
 4,436

The Aftermath

His finger may have been conditioned to squeeze when he heard the word “Fire!”, but Glumm had spent the last few years undergoing an additional kind of conditioning. One which, while it wasn’t part of the normal training regimen of an agent of the CMAA, carried a lot more weight.

In his memory, Glumm once again heard the shocked and disbelieving voice of a filly shouting, “My special talent is making mud pies?!” The conditioned reflex of his trigger finger was neatly countered by the remembered shame of failing that young pony. Not to mention the hours and hours of paperwork that had been the result.

The old ingrained shame had caused his arm to jerk the cannon up and sideways at the same time his finger had tightened on the trigger, launching the Cutie Cannon ordinance over the distracted Scootaloo’s left shoulder. Unbeknownst to anyone there, the ordinance went on to strike a nearby fox lurking in some bushes. This fox became the first non-pony in history to have a cutie mark, a fact would cause much turmoil in the upcoming mating season, but that was a story for another time.

“I can’t believe you’d miss an easy shot like that!” Lumwinkle said, sounding more disbelieving than disappointed. The other gnome brought his cannon around only to be obscured by Glumm, who moved directly into his line of fire.

“Stand down,” the grizzled gnome snapped. Ignoring the other agent’s spluttering protests, he reached up and tapped his headset. “Control, confirm epiphany status on subject: Scootaloo. I believe your count may be wrong.”

”You didn’t take the shot?!” the Controller yelled into Glumm’s ear. ”You were ordered to fire! Epiphany levels... Great, now they’re at 87% and falling.” There was a pause, after which the Controller’s voice, obviously attempting to control a great deal of anger, said, ”Return to base immediately, Agent 13. No deviations, no delays. Return your gear and head immediately to your superior’s office.”

“Understood, Control,” Glumm said, gritting his teeth as self-doubt settled in. His instincts had overridden his training and all known protocol, and now he was going to pay for it.

And the worst part was that he wasn’t even sure if he’d been right.

~~*~~

A less experienced gnome might look at the Epiphany Room and see nothing but utter chaos. Controllers shouted at agents, agents shouted back at the controllers, and earnest young interns ran about higgledy-piggledy on whatever mysterious errands that they always seemed to be occupied with.

The truth was that for all the shouting and hectic activity, the gnomes involved were all working together like the springs and gears of a complicated and chaotic clock.

Figgwaggle, his hand still on the device, glowered in fury over the controller’s shoulder at the screen which showed a very definite falling in Scootaloo’s epiphany scores. Glumm had failed him.

Figg glanced up at the big screen and scowled. The Rainboom had spread out over several miles, bringing spikes of epiphany as it went, but those spikes had already hit their peak and were on their way down.

“Call Security,” Figgwaggle growled at the Controller before him. “Agent 13 is to be taken into custody the moment he enters the compound.”

“Yes, sir,” the Controller said. The salute he directed towards the Counselor was crisp, precise, and completely unnecessary, as the CMAA wasn’t actually a military organization. Figg returned the salute before he stalked out of the Control Room, seething, and made his way to Gnome Resources to file a complaint.

~~*~~

Sweat plastered Tidwiddle’s jacket to his back as he rushed back to his office, gasping and panting for breath. He'd been a senior gnome for a long time, and he was no longer used to rushing anywhere. The hallways of the CMAA compound were strangely empty, with all gnomes on duty at the various workstations. There would be no better time to transport a box of damning files from one location to another.

As he hurried, he allowed himself a small, fierce grin. Figg wasn’t as clever as he’d thought he was. The device he'd taken from Gnome Tech was called an Epiphany Tuner, used to test and calibrate Epiphometers as part of the regular maintenance. And, once he actually used the thing, he'd be just as culpable in this whole mess as Tiddwiddle, himself.

All of the vague “I’ll take you with me” threats that Tidd had thrown at Figg were completely unenforceable, a bluff. All the other Counselor would have had to do was to simply deny all knowledge, and any investigation would have cleared him of any wrongdoing.

Until now, that is. Until he actually used the device himself. Oh, and once he became an accomplice in hiding the evidence, as well.

Tiddwiddle giggled slightly to himself as he let himself into his office, unlocking the door with a huge, heavy key that was one of several dozen on a massively oversized keyring that typically weighed down his right pocket. He shoved his chair aside and reached under his desk, pulling out the box full of dirty secrets.

His secretary... strike that, his Administrative Assistant, as the Gnome Resources department was insisting they be called these days, had a wheeled cart by her desk for when she needed to bring files down to the archive. Tiddwiddle heaved the box onto it and hurried down the hallway, making his way as quickly as he could to Figgwaggle’s office.

~~*~~

Chief Tallywaddle solemnly regarded the gnome sitting on the other side of his desk. He was almost absolutely certain that he had his features under control, and that the smirking joy he felt in no way showed up on his face.

He was completely wrong, of course, but Tallywaddle wouldn’t have been greatly bothered to know that.

“Yes,” he continued, picking up the report in front of him. “A serious, serious breach of protocol.”

“Yes, sir,” Glummwriggle said stiffly.

“Serious, indeed. Very, very... serious.”

“Yes... sir.” Glumm said, even more stiffly. “You’ve mentioned.”

“Well, it won’t do!” Tallywaddle said, slapping the complaint down on the desk. This was followed by what was intended to be a dramatic surge to his feet as the Chief bolted up out of his chair, the effect of which was hampered by his plump waistline getting stuck in his chair’s armrests. A frantic few seconds of rump-shaking, swearing and pushing on the chair got it to fall back to the floor with a loud thunk, freeing the Chief's expansive posterior..

Tallywaddle’s eyes snapped up to see a not-at-all-amused-really Glummwriggle sitting in front of him with a face that was, perhaps, a little too straight, his gaze firmly attached to a point just over the Chief’s left shoulder. Tally grunted and smoothed down his jacket before confronting the other gnome once again.

“Do you have any idea what we must do now?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Oh?” Tallywaddle said, stiffening his back and crossing his arms. “Pray, do tell.”

“In a typical situation,” Glumm intoned stonily, “this case would be referred to the Cutie Mark Intervention department. CMI specialists would work behind the scenes to recreate the mindset and epiphany level that would bring young Scootaloo back to the proper state to receive her epiphany, and therefore her cutie mark.” His eyes snapped over to the Chief, who took a step back out of pure reflex. “Which would, apparently, make her a dentist in spite of the fact that she’s never shown any inclination towards dentistry, was doing nothing dentist-related at the time, and the fact that her file definitely indicates she’s not going to be a dentist. It was a false positive.”

“Pssh!” Tallywaddle replied, releasing a noise that sounded like steam escaping from an old and unstable boiler. “Pshaw! There has never, never been a false-positive in the entire history of the CMAA! On what do you base this ridiculous claim?”

“On the basis that I know those kids. My instincts tell me that the fire command was premature. Control was in error.”

“Indeed!” Tallywaddle said, his face now resembling that same ill-made boiler. His face was an alarming shade of read, and sweat poured profusely from his brow and down his face as he flopped heavily back into his chair. “Indeed? Instincts, is it? Well, I think all of this... this... nonsense is simply an attempt to cover up for your own incompetence!”

Unlike the senior gnome, Glumm’s chair didn’t get stuck on his backside as he surged to his feet while slamming his fists knuckles-down on the desk.

“I may be many things,” Glummwriggle growled, the coldness of his voice countering the heat of the Chief’s, who leaned warily back, “but I am not a liar, and I don’t make excuses for when I screw up. I didn’t screw up. Control was wrong.”

“So you say,” the Chief said, still leaning back.

“So I say,” Glumm replied.

“Well, then,” Chief Tallywaddle said, slumping back down into his creaking office chair. “I’m afraid you give me no choice.” He didn’t bother trying to stop the grin that spread across his face as he said, “Effective immediately, you are on unpaid suspension, pending review of this case and subsequent termination.”

He could hear the disgraced field agent’s teeth grinding together. He watched as Glumm’s eyes ranged across his desk and around the room, and the Chief had a sudden moment of panic as he realized that he had a distressingly large variety of blunt objects cluttering his office, very close at hand.

The word “bludgeoning” occurred to the Chief, followed shortly thereafter by the words “bruising” and “grievous bodily harm”. Those words, coupled with the look on Glumm's face, caused him to sweat even more profusely than before, the sweat running in an icy river down his back.

Then, to his immense relief, Glumm spun on his heel and stalked out the door without another word.

~~*~~

“This... this can’t be right,” Claribelle said. “You can’t be right!” she added, pointing an accusing finger at the folder lying open on her desk.

The folder just sat there, quietly refusing to acknowledge its wrongness or to change and suddenly start making sense. Clari leaned down and pulled the rumpled folder she'd found earlier out from underneath her desk and placed it beside the new, crisp, and utterly wrong one.

Everything was the same in the two folders. All of the research notes, the dates, the names of the gnomes on the committee who worked on this particular case... Clari’s eyes hesitated one specific name, a frown slowly creeping across her face as certain thoughts began vying for attention.

Apart from the damage and neglect to the one folder, all of the contents were completely identical. Except, that is, for the Counselor’s summary.

“Subject is from a wealthy family,” Claribelle read, slowly and out loud, “but shows signs of early maturity, grace and poise. It is expected that subject's epiphany will involve her special uniqueness and her rightful place in the top tier of pony society.”

The gnomette stared at the summary, thoughts whirling. She had a sick feeling that she knew what had happened and, by extension, what it was that was in the box that had so mysteriously disappeared. What she didn’t know was why.

“Oh, Diamond Tiara,” she whispered into the storeroom. “You poor thing. What did they do to you?” She felt a creeping horror as she added, "And how many more like you are there?"