• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 4,764 Views, 164 Comments

Son of the Princess - twow443



Princess Celestia has never had any foals. Or so everypony thought.....

  • ...
23
 164
 4,764

A Day of Truth

Chapter 7-A Day of Truth

Luna landed on the balcony that was outside Celestia's window. Her sister was already there, quietly watching the sky. The darker alicorn slowly walked over to her sister.

Celestia noticed that Luna was there. Turning, she said. “Luna! I am glad you are back.”

Luna sat down. “I am sorry sister. I was unable to locate Shade anywhere.” She looked out over Canterlot. “I am surprised that I could not find him. He couldn't have left Ponyville, not in the state he would have been.”

Celestia turned away from her sister and sighed. “It seems that we were too late anyway.”

“How?” Luna asked. “I can go back out and search for him.”

Celestia levitated a picture in front of Luna. “Chrysalis sent me this.” Luna took it and looked at it. It was a picture of Shade in a field. But the part that caught Luna's attention was that the back half of his body looked like a changeling.

“He's learning how to shift.” Luna said.

“That isn't the worst part.” Celestia said. She pointed at a spot on the picture. Luna looked and saw the outline of a changeling. “I believe that Chrysalis has already located Shade.”

“Then why hasn't she tried to capture him?” Luna said.

“I don't know.” Celestia said. The two alicorns were silent for a bit then Celestia said, “Get some rest, Luna. I'll take care of the dawn.”

As Luna walked off, Celestia called. “Also, I invited Twilight Sparkle and her friend to Canterlot today.”

“This early?” Luna asked.

“I have a hunch.” Celestia said. “If I'm wrong, it won't hurt anypony.” Luna nodded and left the room. Celestia turned and prepared to raise the sun.

. . .

I woke up at about 8 in the morning. I rolled over on the couch and looked at the books in front of me. Rubbing my temples, I re-read the titles to myself. “The Aspects of Changelings and A Guide to Ponyville. Hopefully these will help me.”

Truthfully, I hadn't read much of the first book, trusting on the next time I met with Misty to learn about what I was. The second book though had a picture of about everypony living in the town. I had only focused on the ponies that my six friends mostly hung around. I sighed and made my way into the kitchen.

“Uhh, I am NOT staying up that late anymore.” I said. After Fluttershy had gone to bed, I stayed up to read the books that she had brought back. I had been so interested in the Ponyville guide that I had been up until 2 in the morning. Normally I wouldn't be studying like Twilight, but I had a plan for the day.

I saw a note on the kitchen table. “Huh? What's this?” I walked over to read it.

“Dear Shade,

When you wake up I won't be here. I didn't want to bother you when you were sleeping because I know that you were up late. Twilight came by and told me that Princess Celestia wanted to see us. Don't worry though, I didn't let Twilight see you. If you want to come by, you should use the disguise that you had been working on. You don't have to if you don't want to, it was just a thought. I'll talk to you later.
Love, Fluttershy

P.S. Thank you for the necklace.”


I reached up to my neck and held the necklace up to my face. I sighed. “She really did accept me.” I said. “But, I don't even know if I can accept myself.” Shaking my head I walked over to get something to eat.

Now the disguise that Fluttershy had been talking about. The two of us had decided that while I was hiding out from the residents of Ponyville, I needed a way to get around. I had tried shifting into random forms until Fluttershy pointed out a good form for me. I had shifted into a light blue pegasus with a white mane and tail. The cutie mark was a five-pointed star with beams of light extending from each point. Fluttershy had thought of the idea to have me be her fake cousin from Manehattan in this form. I gave that form the name “Starlight.”

After eating a cold bowl of hay, I went around the house and backyard to check on the animals. They were all fine for the most part, until I went back into the house and saw Angel glaring at me. “Uhhh, did I do something wrong?” I asked. The bunny held up a picture of Fluttershy in his left hand. He then lifted up a crudely drawn picture of me in my normal pony form. “That's me...I think?” I said, confused. Angel pulled another picture of Fluttershy out from behind him but I saw that he had drawn a heart on it, about where her heart was located on her body. He then took the picture he had drawn of me and set it by Fluttershy's. Then he took a red crayon and drew a jagged line down the middle of the heart. After that, he took my picture and ripped it in half.

Then I understood what Angel meant. He might have given me permission to have a relationship with Fluttershy but he was saying that if I broke her heart, he and I would have a reckoning. Somehow, that didn't help me feel any better for the day. I nodded to the bunny, showing that I understood.

As I cleaned up my dishes and left the house, I took a deep breath. This was not going to be easy. I focused hard and my body shifted. I looked at myself in a puddle and saw that I had successfully shifted into my Starlight form. I smiled, “Let's see how well this works out.” I lifted off into the air and awkwardly flew in the direction of Ponyville.
. . .

As the carriage holding Twilight and her friends arrived in Ponyville, the ponies were happy to see the city.


“Finally, we made it to Canterlot!” Twilight said, happy to see it. “I wonder what made the princess need us on such short notice.”

“It's probably fine, Twilight.” Applejack said. “I reckon she just wants to tell us some important things about havin the Elements.”

Rarity spoke up. “And besides have you seen the shopping here? Just amazing it is!”

“Ohh! Maybe we could have a party here! A big party where everypony is invited!” Pinkie said.

Fluttershy didn't say anything, which worried Rainbow Dash. “Hey, something wrong?” she asked.

“Oh no Rainbow. Thank you for asking.” Fluttershy said, looking away. Rainbow exchanged looks with Twilight, silently asking her to talk to the shy pegasus. Fortunately for both of them, Rarity decided to speak up.

“Fluttershy dear, where did you get that beautiful necklace?” Rarity asked. “It's simply wonderful.”

“Thank you Rarity. My cousin bought it for me.” Fluttershy answered.

“Did your cousin know that necklace is a sign of love?” Rarity said, taking a closer look at the necklace.

“Well, I guess that he loves me a lot?” Fluttershy said, looking out the window again. Rarity looked at her friends and shrugged her shoulders.

Twilight was about to start questioning Fluttershy when the carriage suddenly stopped. “We're here girls!” she happily said. Everypony piled out of the carriage and looked in awe of the castle.

“No matter how many times I see it,” Rarity said, “It's still a beautiful castle. The other ponies nodded in agreement.

Twilight was about to lead the way into the castle when Princess Luna landed in front of them. All of the ponies bowed to her.

“Twilight Sparkle, it is good to see you again. And the same goes for the rest of your friends.” Luna said. Twilight noticed that Luna's voice sounded slightly strained. “I know that you are here to speak with my sister, but she has asked that you spend some time in Canterlot first. She will send for you when she is ready.”

“Is the princess alright?” Rainbow asked.

Luna nodded. “You may all go, except Twilight. I will speak with her for a time.” Twilight's friends nodded to her and went down into the town.

Twilight looked up at Luna. She saw that Luna had lines under her eyes and her ears were flat. “Princess? Are you alright?”

Luna sighed and sat down. “No Twilight. I am not well.” She looked at the purple unicorn. “Have you or your friends located Shade?”

Twilight looked down and shook her head. “No, I don't think any of us has seen him.”

Luna thought for a moment. “Have you asked Fluttershy where she obtained her necklace from?”

“Yes. She said that she got it from her cousin.” Twilight said.

“That is a promise necklace, Twilight.” Luna said. “Two ponies that wear the same one means that the essentially promise themselves to each other. Basically, it shows that they are in a relationship.”

“Oh...” Twilight said.

“It isn't my business but maybe you should ask Fluttershy to ask her cousin where he bought it.” Luna suggested. “Go enjoy the city Twilight. I will send for you when my sister is ready to talk to you.” Luna rose into the air and flew into the castle. Twilight looked at the castle for a few moments before leaving into the town.
. . .

As I flew though the sky, I thought over my plan again. My plan was to investigate how the ponies of Ponyville felt about me. To do that, I planned to assume the forms of my friends. I needed to stop by Twilight's first. I dove out of the clouds and fortunately was by Twilight's house. But since it was in a well-populated part of town, I needed to be very careful about this. I landed in the tree by Twilight's bedroom window. “Alright, lets try this.” I wasn't sure if I could use magic without a visible horn but as I focused I was able to flash teleport into the house. Once inside, I shifted into Twilight's form. I felt tired from the flight and shifting, but not too bad. I started to go though her books. “Hmm, nothing up here. Guess I should try downstairs..” I jumped as the door suddenly opened. I turned and saw Spike standing there.

“Twilight?” Spike said. “I thought you were in Canterlot.”

“Uhhh.” I stammered. “Come on, think!” I said in my mind. “I asked the princess to send me back for a little bit.”

“Uh-huh.” Spike said, walking closer. “And why would you need to do that?”

I looked away from him, trying to think of an excuse. “I wanted to find a book to...show her.”

Spike walked up to me and looked me in the eyes. Not saying anything he turned and walked over to his bed. I was about to make my way downstairs when he turned and scratched me on the flank. “Ow!” I cried. I temporarily lost my focus and my body shimmered.

“You aren't Twilight!” Spike hissed at me. “Who are you?!”

“Spike, it's me Shade!” I said, shifting into my pony form. “I'm not here to hurt anypony!”

Spike obviously didn't believe me. “Then why did you come back?”

I sighed and sat down. “I wanted to see what everypony thought of me.” I knew that I couldn't keep hiding forever, so I made a decision. “If you want to tell the princess that I'm here, or tell the ponies in town that I'm here, go ahead. I won't move from here.”

Spike looked at me. I could tell that he was trying to decide what to do. I looked him in the eyes, not showing any emotion in them. Finally he also sighed and said, “I can tell that you mean what you say Shade. You need to make your own decision about seeing the princess. I won't tell anypony.” I jumped up and hugged the baby dragon.

“Oh thank you!” I said, starting to cry.

“Geez, no need to get all mushy.” Spike said. I pulled away from him and wiped my eyes.

“Sorry. It means a lot though.” I said. Spike rolled his eyes.

A little bit later, I was about to head out into Ponyville. “So, what exactly is your plan?”

“I want to see what the ponies in Ponyville have been saying about me.” I said. “To do that, I 'm going to pretend to be our friends.”

“Isn't that going to use a lot of your energy?” Spike said. I had told him everything I knew, and he caught on quickly.

“The shifting itself shouldn't use too much, but if I use any of that pony's abilities, that's what will drain me.” I explained. “There's emotions all over Ponyville so I should be alright.”

Spike looked at me. “Are you sure?”

I pawed at the ground. “No. I'm really not. I have to make sure that I take energy from the emotions flowing around me.”

“Well, if you can sense emotions like you said, then you should be alright.” Spike said. I nodded.

“Did they leave rather early?” I asked.

Spike nodded. “Twilight sent me a note saying that they would probably be gone all day.”

“Good, that means nopony saw them. Which means that I should be able to freely use their forms.” I concentrated and shifted into Rarity.

Spike shuddered. “That is unnerving.”

I smiled and lightly pushed him. “As long as you aren't attracted to me, little Spikey.” I said in Rarity's voice. At that, Spike proceeded to punch me in the leg.

“Don't do that!” he said. “That's...weird.” We looked at each other for a moment, then burst out laughing. As I was about to leave, Spike said, “I think that Sweetie Belle's at home. Maybe you could ask her?” I nodded my thanks and left the house.

. . .


It wasn't easy traveling though the streets of Ponyville and forcing myself to not talk to anypony. Although it helped to remind myself that I wasn't myself and was pretending to be Rarity. I stayed silent because I could NOT talk like she did. So when anypony spoke to me I acted like I was in a rush. I'd nod to them and move on. Finally making it to the boutique I quickly slipped inside.

“Phew.” I gasped. “This is not going to be easy.” I sensed another pony in the store so I looked around the store. I looked in Rarity's room and saw Sweetie Belle sleeping in there. “Why is she sleeping in my...I mean Rarity's room?” I thought. I gasped as she started to wake up. “Sorry about this Sweetie.” I quickly cast a sleeping spell on the filly, sending her back into a deep sleep. I made sure to cast it so she would wake up in about another hour. I jumped as I heard a knock on the door. “It's okay. I think I can do this.” I started to feel tired though. “I better hurry this up or I'll blow my cover.”

I went over to the front door and opened it. “Hi Rarity!” I looked down to see Sweetie Belle's friends, Scootaloo and Applebloom.

“Hello you two. What can I do for you?” I asked in Rarity's nicest tone.

“Is Sweetie Belle feeling any better?” Scootaloo asked. “She stayed home from school, remember?”

“Oh yes.” I said. “Let me go check and I'll send her out if she wants to play, alright?” The two fillies nodded as I shut the door. I was going to wake up Sweetie Belle when I remembered that I sensed that she was still not well. “Hmm, idea time.” I shifted back into my changeling form and concentrated. I started to shrink down until I was Sweetie's size. Then I changed my coat to white and grew my horn. I made sure to remove Rarity''s cutie mark also. I proceeded to walk out the door and was tackled by the two fillies. “Oww. Not so rough. I still don't feel well.”

Applebloom got off me. “Sorry Sweetie. Maybe we should just hang out for a little bit today?” I nodded, feeling woozy.

We were walking thought the market when I tripped on nothing. “Are you really okay Sweetie? You seem out of it.” Scootaloo said.

“I'm fine.” I snapped. I was aggravated because I was getting weaker. As we walked though the market emotions were everywhere,but not enough to help me. I didn't want to do this but I had no choice. I couldn't afford to expose myself. I slightly backed up from Scootaloo and Applebloom and sparked up my horn. Glancing around, I saw an fruit cart. “That'll work.”

I pointed my horn at the ground and did a combination spell. The spell was supposed to reflect off the surface of what I shot and home in on what I told it to hit. I shot the spell and it bounced off the ground, off several of the carts in the area and slammed into the fruit cart. Fruit went flying everywhere and started hitting everypony in sight. Everypony started freaking out and every unicorn I saw started trying to cut the spell. I ran with the fillies silently fueling back up on strength. I ended the spell, and then knew what I needed to do. It suddenly hit me like a piano falling from the sky. It wasn't about what everypony thought about me, it was about what I could figure out on my own. The ponies in Ponyville might have their thoughts about me, but it wasn't going to change what I would learn about myself. I had to take the initiative to figure out my past.

“Guys, I uh....I'm not feeling good. I need to go.” Leaving two confused fillies behind me, I dashed off to back to Twilight's.

. . .

“So you didn't learn anything?” Spike said to me. I was pouring myself over a history book of Equestria.

I turned to a time line. “Hey! This dates back to when the princesses defeated Discord.” I carefully looked over the time line. At about 18 years back, around when Twilight was born there was a interesting mark. “Spike, It says that for about 8 months that Princess Celestia went missing.”

“Yeah. Twilight told me about that.” Spike said. “Apparently the princess had to go to another part of Equestria and didn't tell anypony.”

I thought for a moment. She was missing for about 8 months, about as long as it was to have a.... No that was absurd. Celestia would have told somepony if that had been the case.

“Spike. Has Princess Celestia ever had any....children?” I asked.

Spike shrugged. “Not as far as I know.” A realization dawned on me. Not knowing my parents, Living at Canterlot my whole life, Celestia always teaching me magic and making sure I could do my best at every spell she gave me to try......

“No. Way.” I gasped. I knew what I needed to do. “Spike. Thanks!” Not thinking I shifted into Rainbow Dash's form and shot out of the house.

. . .

I could see why Rainbow beat me when she raced. Flying at the speed I was, I could tell that she had been pacing herself when she had challenged me to a race. I had to slow myself down by a lot or I would have used all of my energy in a matter of minutes. “I hope I'm right about this.” I thought. I flinched as a bolt of green magic shot past me. “What the?!”

I saw Misty break out of the clouds next to me. “Hi there, Rainbow! Or should I say, Shade?”

I would have facehoofed in frustration right there. Changelings could sense each other. But, why couldn't I tell that Misty was coming at me. “Sorry Misty! I can't really talk right now!”

Misty giggled. “Aww but that's the point! You need to come with me now!”

“I can't!” I snapped. “We'll talk later!”
`

Misty shook her head. “Sorry, Shade. That wasn't a request!” She lit up her horn with green light and created a magical net. She whipped her head and shot the net at me. My eyes widened and I executed a neat back flip, dodging the net. Misty cast the spell again, but created multiple nets. I twisted and turned in the air to dodge them all. She laughed and created a butterfly net. I quick teleported behind her and slammed my front hooves into her head, knocking her away. She fell, but threw the net at me, clocking me in the head with the stick. I dizzily flew up, then flew down, headbutting her in the back. I shot away again in the direction of Canterlot. It didn't take Misty long to recover and shoot after me again.

I didn't notice that I had been unconsciously speeding up and forcing my body to use more energy. I sure noticed it when I started panting. “Aw, hayseed.” I gasped.

“Come on Shade!” Misty said. “Don't make this overly difficult!” She stopped firing magic at me and concentrated a small spark of energy. It slowly grew until she shot a quick lighting bolt at me. It struck me between the wings. I instantly started falling.

“Not good! Not good!” I yelled. I shifted back to my unicorn form.” I saw Misty flying above me.

“I'm sorry Shade! But I couldn't let you go see the princess. It would have ruined our plans!”

“Our?” I yelled. The ground was coming closer. I racked my brain for an idea. Then it hit me. Celestia had taught me a safety spell shortly after I had taught myself the wing spell. It was designed for pegasus ponies when they were first learning how to fly. The spell negated any injury from falling from a great height. I quickly cast it, then shuddered as I felt the energy leaving my body.

WHAM! I crashed into the ground. True to form, the spell protected me from dying but I was so drained I couldn't move. Misty landed next to me as I started to pass out. “I'm sorry Shade. I'll explain everything when you wake up okay?” I glared at her, and then everything dissolved into darkness.

. . .

“I'm so glad you could come my little ponies.” Princess Celestia stood with Twilight and her friends in the throne room.

“Princess, is something wrong? Is that why you didn't want to talk to us at first?” Twilight asked.

“I was trying to decide if I should reveal something to you all.” Celestia said. “Then I needed to figure out how to tell you.

“Tell us what, Princess?” Applejack asked.

Celestia sighed. “I want to apologize. I kept a secret from you and you all suffered for it.”

“Are you talking about Shade being a changeling?” Rainbow asked.

Celestia nodded. “I did know that he was a changeling.”

“But how did you know?” Twilight asked. “And why didn't you tell us? And why did you let him stay here?”

Celestia turned to look her student in the eyes. “I couldn't tell anypony for fear of him being in danger. Also, I was selfish and thought about how other ponies would think about me. But I believe that is too late.” The princess moved back to look at all of them. “It was wrong of me to keep this a secret, and I hope that I can apologize to Shade. But the reason that I knew is because...” She stopped for a moment, then continued.

“I knew, because Shade is my son.”