• Published 5th Jun 2023
  • 462 Views, 15 Comments

Dragon of Steel II - SuperPinkBrony12



(Sequel to "Dragon of Steel", familiarity with the former is strongly recommended. Based on "Superman II", both the theatrical version and the Donner cut.) Spike, as Super Dragon, is pitted against Garble and two other dragons.

  • ...
3
 15
 462

Rarity's Discovery!

He could hear them. The cries for help were far away, so far away that one would need super sensitive hearing to be able to hear them. But the cries of ponies in danger reached the ears of Spike all the same. Among his many powers that he had discovered, super hearing was one of his strongest.

After stealing a quick glance at Twilight and receiving a reassuring nod, Spike hurriedly rushed off! This was a job for a hero! Not just any hero, but a superhero!

This was a job for Super Dragon!

Quick as a flash, Spike had changed into his superhero alter ego costume. By now he had traded in his rag-tag, hastily modified version of Hum-Drum's costume for something more "stylish", something to ensure he truly could be seen no matter what: A dark blue shirt with red on the arm and neck bands, black boots made of an indestructible yet super flexible fabric and a long, flowing red cape. Emblazoned into the middle of his shirt was a logo: A yellow shield with red on the outside corners, and a big, red S in the center. For good measure, he had kept the mask over his eyes.

Once fully changed into his costume, Super Dragon kicked his legs and leaped into the air. Despite his lack of wings, he was soon flying through the sky at a breakneck speed!

Ponies who happened to look up caught a glimpse of a blue blur flying by overhead. Some were rendered speechless by the unbelievable sight! But others could be heard shouting to one another! "It's a bird!" or "It's a plane!"

Super Dragon just kept on flying, concentrating his focus on the source of the cries for help. He soon pinpointed their source, flew to it, and swooped down as he came to a large building in Ponyville that was all but engulfed in flames. Ponies (and even some non-ponies) were leaning out of windows in said building, frantically shouting for help as ponies clad in red helmets and bright yellow jackets were directing hose lines to try to put out the fire.

One of the ponies, an earth pony stallion with a smokey black coat and a charred gray mane and tail, looked at the masked dragon. "Super Dragon! Oh, thank Celestia you're here!"

"Of course, I'm always happy to help," Super Dragon nodded back. "So, what's the situation, Captain Oak?"

The earth pony pointed a hoof towards the windows several stories up. "This fire had a pretty good head start. My boys are trying their best, but our ladders can only reach so high," He bit his lip. "I don't know if we'll have enough time to save everypony before this whole place goes up in flames!"

With a salute, Super Dragon insisted. "Just leave it to me, Captain. I'll get everyone to safety! You and your men just focus on fighting the fire." Then, he rose into the air again, flying up towards the windows where the trapped ponies (and non-ponies) were waving and shouting, begging for help.

Quick as a flash, Super Dragon grabbed each of the frightened civilians one by one. The heat, smoke and flames didn't seem to bother him at all. And all the while, his suit wasn't charred or coated with soot. It was as if nothing could hurt him. Soon, he had gotten every civilian trapped inside safely out, setting them all down a ways away from the fire. Then, he was off again, this time without saying a word!

The masked superhero returned in the blink of an eye, towing a massive storm cloud behind him. He positioned it carefully over the burning building, then swooped down and slammed into it hard! There was a clap of thunder, and the storm cloud began to rain! The rain effortlessly extinguished the fire, the building was saved.

Everyone who had watched the scene was speechless! And soon, many in the crowd began to clap, cheer and whistle.

When Super Dragon landed again, the fire captain approached him and held out a hoof. "Super Dragon, my men and I owe you a great debt of thanks. Once again, you've saved the day. If you hadn't shown up when you did, this situation could've ended very badly."

The masked dragon simply brought a claw forward and shook the captain's hoof. "I'm always happy to help. Now, I must be going." And after giving a quick salute, he took to the skies once more and was soon out of sight.


News of the daring rescue and heroic feats spread quickly throughout Ponyville. Papers and headlines were on the streets within hours, and the citizens of Ponyville rushed to pick up a copy to read of the latest heroic action of Super Dragon. They couldn't get enough of him.

"'Super Dragon Does It Again: Masked Hero Saves Dozens From Burning Building'," Rarity, currently at Twilight's castle and in the throne room, read aloud a copy of Ponyville Express that had devoted its entire front page to the aforementioned story. Below the headline was a black and white picture that had been snapped by the paper's photographer, catching the hero in the midst of his feat of daring do. "Seems like not a day goes by now where he's not making headlines wherever he goes. Who is he, anyway? For some strange reason, I get the feeling like I've seen him before somewhere."

Twilight not so innocently replied to the unicorn. "Rarity, don't you think he would tell us if he wanted to be known? It's called a 'secret' identity. Why else do you think he wears the mask over his eyes?"

The fashionista unicorn put a hoof to her chin. "True, true. But what does he have to hide? All of Equestria is in love with him now. They can't stop gushing over him. I've seen him in action, I was there when he thwarted Filthy Rich's scheme. It's as if I've seen him before, and for the life of me I can't figure out why that is. He looks a lot like Spike, now that I think about it more."

Twilight simply retorted. "Come now, Rarity. Just because he looks like Spike doesn't mean he is Spike. Spike's been around for years, Super Dragon is still relatively new. That alone should prove that Spike and Super Dragon aren't the same."

Rarity seemed to nod ever so slowly. "Maybe so, but don't you think it's odd that we never seem to see Spike and Super Dragon in the same place at the same time? Even if Spike's not Super Dragon, he must know something about that masked hero. Perhaps the two are working together somehow?"

The young alicorn could only shake her head from side to side. "Rarity, you're way overthinking it. If Spike wanted to be a superhero, do you really think he'd dress up in something so obvious and so ridiculous? Do you think he'd be able to hide such a secret from me, the pony who hatched him and has known him longer than anypony else? Super Dragon probably just looks like Spike because it's part of his disguise, it's to throw us off and make us suspect he's someone else entirely."

Rarity simply sighed as she stood up, setting her newspaper down. "Well, you have to admit it's awfully strange that ever since Super Dragon showed up, Spike's been acting completely different. He seems to go out of his way to avoid me, to avoid our friends. If he's not a masked superhero, then what's he trying to hide? What is it that he doesn't want anypony to know? Surely, whatever it is, it can't be so important that he has to keep it to himself. Surely, he knows I would never blab."

Twilight just replied. "Rarity, will you drop it, already? You don't need to know everything that goes on in Spike's life. He doesn't ask to know where you are every minute of every day."

Reluctantly, the unicorn found herself agreeing. "I suppose you have a point, Twilight," She then sighed. "Still, something's up with Spike. And whatever it is, I just know it has to do with Super Dragon. I wish he would tell me, it's clearly troubling him, I can tell."

The young alicorn sternly and firmly told her friend. "If he wants to tell you, he will. Until then, it's not right for you to stick your nose into his business."

"Maybe so," Rarity replied. "But I just know he'll feel a lot better if he comes clean and confesses. He knows more than he's letting on. So why doesn't he trust me to know what he knows about Super Dragon?" And with that, she turned and trotted away.

Only once Rarity was out of sight did Twilight turn to a distant wall and light up her horn, revealing a nervous looking Spike had been standing by it the whole time.

Spike wiped the sweat from his brows. "Thanks for not ratting me out to Rarity, Twilight. She can't know the truth. She just can't."

"Why not?" Twilight asked with legitimate concern and curiosity. "You've already told me. Besides, you know how Rarity gets when she thinks someone's keeping secrets from her."

Spike could only shake his head from side to side. "Being Super Dragon is a burden that I don't want to burden any more ponies with than I have to. She's already been put in danger once because of me, I can't risk that happening again."

Twilight frowned and narrowed her eyes. "You know Rarity is stronger than she looks. Or did you forget the whole Diamond Dogs incident?"

The little dragon replied. "I know she's strong, I know she can take care of herself. But we both know what happened anyway when Filthy Rich was convinced he could use her to get to me. She shouldn't be put in danger because of me," He looked at himself with great concern. "What if something happens and I'm not able to save her? How would I live with the guilt knowing that something bad happened to her because of me, and I wasn't able to do anything about it?"

The young alicorn sighed. "You can't save everyone, Spike. Even with your incredible superpowers, you can't be everywhere at once. It's not like Rarity would come to depend on you every time she got into trouble. She'd understand, you have to put the needs of others before yourself."

"I'm sorry, Twilight," Spike firmly insisted. "Rarity would just be a distraction. A distraction I can't afford. If she figures it out for herself, I'll tell her. But if not, I'm not going to. It's best if she doesn't know, for my sake and for hers."


Even so, the next day, Spike found himself being invited to Carousel Boutique for tea with Rarity. Much as he wanted to say no, he realized that turning down the offer would only further draw suspicion towards himself. As long as he was careful, he was certain he could keep his secret double life under wraps. He even thought about maybe throwing her off the trail by telling her a lie. But what lie could he tell her that she wouldn't be able to see through?

Those thoughts and at least a hundred others were all swirling around inside the dragon's head as he reached the front door of the boutique and knocked on it. It took every ounce of courage he had not to run away.

The door soon swung open slowly, as Rarity greeted Spike with what seemed to be a sincere smile. "Ah, Spike. So lovely that you could join me today. Seems like you haven't had time for me at all lately." The last line was delivered with the faintest hint of resentment, albeit in such a subtle way that you'd be mistaken for thinking you hadn't heard it.

Spike gave off a nervous laugh and tried not to show how nervous he was feeling. "W-well, I've... been busy," He sheepishly fiddled with his claws. "Surely, you can relate."

The fashionista seemed to nod quite slowly. "Yes, Spike, I can. All the more reason why I'm so delighted you could join me for a spot of tea. Feels like it's been ages since we did anything together. You even turned down an offer to be my basket holder... I mean bodyguard for gem hunting," She led Spike along to a small table that had been set up in the kitchen. Resting on the table was a large, gleaming, porcelain tea kettle with matching cups. And in said cups rested freshly brewed tea. "Please, have a seat, I insist."

The little dragon eyed the tea with suspicion. Had Rarity secretly put something in it that would make him confess even if he didn't want to? He quickly shook his head to dispel such thoughts. "Rarity would never do a thing like that!" He convinced himself. "She's not that nosey." So he made his way over to the table with the tea seat, and sat down in one of the chairs as Rarity took a seat at the opposite end of the table from him.

At first, both pony and dragon just sipped their tea and spoke not a word. They eyed each other, as if trying to size each other up and determine what the other's feelings and intentions were. But neither seemed to give anything away with their eyes or their body language. It was as if they were locked into a staring contest, daring the other to blink or move.

Eventually, the spell of silence was broken as Rarity took the initiative. "So, Spike, may I ask what it is that's been keeping you so busy lately? Surely, I have a right to know that at least."

Spike swallowed hard. "I can't tell you, Rarity! It's a secret! Even Twilight doesn't know about it."

Rarity only shook her head from side to side. "Funny, I got the impression that Twilight knows more than she lets on. That's precisely why I had that conversation with her yesterday," And she sweetly pleaded. "Spike, please, if there's something troubling you, I want to know so I can make it better. I promise, it'll just be our little secret. I've learned my lesson about gossip."

The little dragon refused to yield any information. "I won't tell you! I can't tell you!"

The fashionista only pressed further. "Whyever not, Spike? What is it in the wide world of Equestria that could be so important that you can't tell me?" She snorted and swished her tail. "I know you and Super Dragon are working together, somehow! You know how to get in touch with him when nopony else does! So spill it, what's your connection to him?! Is he your twin or something?! Did you secretly clone yourself with the mirror pool?!"

"No, it's not like that at all! Super Dragon's not a clone!" Spike insisted as he started to sweat! "Please, just drop it! You're not gonna wring a confession out of me!"

Rarity sighed. She could see how upset Spike was becoming, and much as she might like more information she knew it was rude to press. Still, she sweetly tried to charm the answer out of him. "Come now, precious pants. Won't you feel better if you get it off your chest? I'm sure Super Dragon would understand you had no choice. Whatever it is he told you, I promise I won't tell a soul."

But the little dragon refused to budge. "I'm not telling you, and that's final! You can't know what I know, Rarity! It's for your own good, trust me. If you knew what I knew about Super Dragon, you'd be in terrible danger everyday."

At that the fashionista scoffed. "Really, Spike? More danger than when I go gem hunting and have to worry about those diamond dogs? More trouble than any of the threats to Equestria I've ever faced with my friends? You know I'm quite capable of defending myself against any who might wish to do me harm. I don't need you, Super Dragon or anyone else to protect me. I am quite skilled in the art of self defense, both physically and mentally."

Spike sighed deeply. "Darn it, Rarity! Why do you have to be so stubborn?! Why can't you just leave well enough alone?!"! He tensed up! He knew he wasn't good under pressure, and tried to cover his mouth with his claws to keep from saying anything further, fearful of what he might blab by mistake.

Rarity frowned. It seemed that despite her best efforts, Spike wasn't going to tell her anything. And without solid proof, she had no way to get him to open up. Reluctantly, she rose from her spot at the table. "Well, fine, Spike," She reluctantly stated even though her posture made it quite clear how displeased she was. "If you don't want to tell me, I won't force you to. I'll just do my best to figure it out for myself without invading your privacy."


Spike watched as Rarity slowly trotted away, leaving him alone in the kitchen. Then and only then did he unclamp his claws from around his mouth, breathing a much needed sigh of relief. Why was Rarity so insistent on knowing about his secret? Why couldn't she understand why he wanted to keep it a secret?

Rarity, meanwhile, decided to let off steam by stress sewing. It was what she liked to do in situations like this, it gave her an outlet to channel her frustrations without hurting anyone or anything.

The fashionista unicorn slowly but surely made her way up the steps, headed for her workshop where she could stress sew in peace. Then, suddenly, she misjudged a step! One of her hooves began to give way! And it just so happened that she was almost to the top, meaning it would be a long (and certainly painful) fall back down to the bottom! She tried desperately to light up her horn to catch herself, but the shock made it difficult for her to concentrate!

Thus, as Rarity felt herself losing control of her body and about to fall backwards, she did the only thing she could think to do in this situation: She screamed! It wasn't even a very loud scream, she didn't intend to alert anyone to what terrible fate was about to befall her.

Yet that scream was picked up by Spike from all the way in the kitchen. He jumped up! "RARITY!" He shouted at the top of his lungs, and without even thinking he raced as fast as he could towards the sound of her distress! Perhaps if he had looked down at himself, he would've noticed what he was doing subconsciously. But so fixated was he on getting to Rarity that he didn't give any thought to anything else.

In the blink of an eye, Rarity felt herself lose her balance and begin to tumble backwards down the steps! Yet just as she had slipped off one step and was about to fall down more, she heard what sounded like a rush of wind. And then, suddenly, something (or rather someone) was lifting her up. It didn't stop until it had safely deposited her atop the stairs.

"Oh, thank goodness you're okay!" A familiar voice declared, before gasping as its owner realized the folly of such a move!

Rarity turned around very slowly. That voice was instantly recognizable to her. Sure enough, her eyes fell upon the form of Spike as he was floating in mid-air with no wings at all. The realization dawned on her in an instant! "Spike! You're.... Super Dragon?!"

Author's Note:

And so it begins again. It's really funny finally coming around to this sequel after so many years. So much has changed, including the fact that Garble is reformed in show canon. That's just one of the reasons why I've tagged this as AU.

I didn't want Rarity to be completely in the dark about the similarities between Spike and Super Dragon, but I also wanted to give her a believable reason why she doesn't suspect the two are one and the same. And yes, Rarity is playing the role of Lois Lane in this fic.