• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 3,129 Views, 159 Comments

Repercussions - GaryOak



None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.

  • ...
22
 159
 3,129

Chapter II - Into the Darkness

Chapter II
Into the Darkness
===============

The smell of breakfast coaxed Twilight from her dreamless sleep. Seeing that the sun was higher in the sky than she would have liked, she hauled herself out of bed. Not even bothering to brush her tousled mane, she went down the stairs and immediately resumed her studies.

The growling of Twilight's stomach wasn't helping as she began reading through a nearby book, utterly bent on uncovering further information related to what she had seen in Ancient Equestria. Twilight became so immersed in her studies that she didn't notice a rap on the door. A second rap came, louder this time. “It's open,” called Twilight, not looking up from her book.

The door creaked open. “Am I interrupting anything?”

Twilight put her book down. “Greyhoof? You're here early.”

“Sorry, but you expressed excitement about this subject when we talked yesterday, so getting started sooner rather than later seemed like a good idea,” said Greyhoof, walking up to Twilight. “By the look of things, I was right.”

Twilight caught herself feeling a surge of annoyance at Greyhoof for interrupting her research. It's probably because I'm so hungry. Breakfast can't come soon enough.

“Well, take a seat and open up a book,” said Twilight, “maybe you can help me.”

“I'd be more than happy to. So, what have you been studying?”

“Well, lately I've been trying to go out of my way to impress the Princess with what I've learned. I want to understand the secrets behind the most powerful magic in all of Equestria – hers.” She looked up at Greyhoof, who, she was pleased to note, was hanging on her every word.

“Princess Celestia?” replied Greyhoof, a note of wonder in his voice. “What about her, exactly? Have you found anything?”

Twilight gave a moan of frustration. “No, and that's the problem. I can't figure out anything, and I've almost completely scoured the library!” She gestured at the pile of books around them. “I'm not even sure if I could find what I'm looking for in the Canterlot Castle library, either.” She looked at Greyhoof glumly. “I think that learning about her past might give me the answers I seek, but I'm not getting anywhere there, either; not a single history book has anything useful.”

Greyhoof fixed his eyes on Twilight – eyes that seemed to be full of a sort of burning determination. “I'm more than happy to help you in your quest for knowledge. Ancient Equestrian history has always fascinated me.” Sitting down next to Twilight, Greyhoof looked around admiringly at the assortment of books around the room. “So, where shall we start?”

Twilight gestured around her. “I don't know, use your judgment.”

The two unicorns sat side by side and began leafing through fresh stacks of books in silence. As the morning wore on and the stack of read volumes increased in size, Greyhoof's eyes absently flicked over to an older tome laying off to the side, prompting a sharp intake of breath.

“I can't believe another copy exists,” breathed Greyhoof, staring at Ancient Equestria. “Too bad we spent all this time perusing your collection; this book should have given you all the answers that your heart desires.” His eyes had not left the book while he spoke.

Twilight arched an eyebrow as she gazed at the book that had frustrated her the previous night. “What are you talking about? I was left with more questions than when I picked it up in the first place.”

Greyhoof blinked. “That makes no sense. If this is the same book I remember, then it contains a great deal of... curious information.” His eyes rested on Twilight's confused expression. “Am I missing something?”

Twilight sighed. “No, it's the book that's missing something. Look.” She opened it and flipped through the tome until she reached the section where the pages had been torn out. “This came from the Princess's own personal collection. Why would pages be missing like this?”

Greyhoof's eyes narrowed when he glanced at the book. “As I've told you before, this is a rare volume. I've seen only one other copy, and that was years ago.” His pupils glinted. “Until now, I believed it to be a work of fiction, but considering which pages have been torn and who it previously belonged to...”

Twilight gasped. “Are you suggesting Princess Celestia did this herself?”

“That is precisely what I am suggesting.” Greyhoof ignored Twilight's shocked expression and continued. “Fortunately for your research, I remember some of what was in that missing section.”

Twilight took a few steps closer to Greyhoof until her face was only a few inches from his. “Well? What was written? What do you know?” she asked.

Regarding her with a wary look, Greyhoof spoke slowly, as if choosing his words carefully. “What was written had led me to believe that it was the work of a creative mind and not that of a historian. But that cannot be true if the Princess removed the pages. I can't say I blame her; she wouldn't want to give you the wrong idea.”

“Wrong idea?” said Twilight, staring deeply into Greyhoof's eyes. “Tell me! This could be the answer I'm looking for!”

Greyhoof recoiled. “I... I really shouldn't be the pony to tell you this.”

Biting her lip, Twilight found herself on the verge of tears. “Please, Greyhoof. I've spent weeks searching,” she pressed, her resolve hardening. “I can't just give up now.”

Greyhoof's eyes smoldered almost dangerously. “Are you absolutely sure? This depicts a much... darker side of the Princess. I'm still not completely sure if I believe it myself.” Greyhoof exhaled slowly. “It could change your perception of her... forever.”

Twilight sat on her haunches much the same way as she had done so often during Celestia's tutelage. “It's a risk I'm willing to take. I must know.” Her voice remained even as she spoke, her determined words making Greyhoof pause.

Twilight waited with bated breath as Greyhoof stared at her, the gears in his head clearly turning. “Very well,” he said at last. “This is the tragedy of King Cosmo the Great. Until today, I had believed it a mere myth. Legend has it that there were three, not two, sacred beings, all an equal mixture of earth pony, pegasus, and unicorn, preordained to rule Equestria. These are, as you know, the alicorns. Essentially, they are immortal beings, though they are not above death entirely. The youngest of the three was Princess Luna, the warden of night. Her task was to oversee the behaviour of the moon and to ensure a long enough night for the day creatures to rest and the nocturnal to prosper. Then there was Princess Celestia, the bringer of light. Her purpose was to govern the days of the land, using her sway over the sun to balance out Luna's moon. She was to provide warmth and prosperity to the inhabitants of the land and to bring fertility to its crops.”

Greyhoof cleared his throat, his gaze intensifying as Twilight hung on his every word. “Last of all was their older brother, King Cosmo. His duty was to sit atop the throne of Canterlot, with all the lands under his watchful eye, to maintain balance between the Princesses and the subjects of the kingdom. Together, the three led the pony tribes through a great many endeavours, freeing them from the oppression of the griffon king, defeating Iniquitus in the Dragon Wars, and even ending Discord's reign of terror. Upon their discovery of the Elements of Harmony and the liberation of Equestria, the three took their rightful places as the possessors of the crown, having overcome the tribulations of their youth.”

“And what became of King Cosmo?” asked an enthralled Twilight, holding her hooves near her mouth.

Greyhoof's face hardened. “This is when our tale takes a turn for the worse. At first, the three ruled in peace and harmony, with the King watching over the land. As the centuries passed, the jealousy of the two sisters grew. Their covetous desires and their greed spurred them to a dreadful deed. Why should they, the divine beings who held sway over the very sun and moon, play second fiddle to their brother?” He paused for a moment to collect his thoughts. “One fateful evening, the King was alone in the castle gardens. Seizing their opportunity to strike, Princess Luna veiled the moon in a thick layer of clouds. In the resulting pitch blackness, they assaulted and overwhelmed King Cosmo. The King, although he possessed great powers of his own, was no match for the joint surprise attack by his siblings, and fell. With the King gone, the Princesses erased his name from history.”

Twilight's jaw dropped. “T-there's no way that can be true!” she stammered. “This doesn't sound like the Princess at all.” She shook her head. “No, I refuse to believe it.”

Greyhoof's eyes fixated on a spot on the floor. “That's about how the story went,” he said heavily. “Take it or leave it. You can now see why I didn't put much stock in it – well, until now.” Greyhoof met Twilight's eyes once more. “If this was merely harmless fiction, then the Princess would've seen no need to remove the pages.”

“No, Greyhoof, I can't accept that.” Her voice still shook slightly as she spoke. “I've known the Princess almost my entire life, ever since I was a little filly. She would never murder somepony in cold blood like that, especially her own brother!” Twilight struck the floor with her hoof defiantly. “Princess Celestia has always advocated friendship, and she leads by example. We can't forget that she showed kindness to Princess Luna in spite of all the evil she did as Nightmare Moon.”

Greyhoof shrugged. “You may be right. You've known Princess Celestia for a long time, whereas I've never had the honour of meeting her,” he shot Twilight a cautionary glance, “but this cannot be blindly ignored.”

Twilight raised a hoof as she prepared to offer a response, but the arrival of Spike, breakfast in hand, cut the discussion short. Twilight's stomach rumbled loudly when she spotted the food-laden tray, reminding her of the mistake of not eating anything at the party. Digging into the food with a vengeance, the unicorns demolished it in a matter of moments.

“I'd forgotten how hungry studying makes me,” said Greyhoof gingerly. “I don't know what that was, exactly, but it sure hit the spot.”

“Sometimes with Spike's cooking, I don't want to know,” giggled Twilight. At this, Spike humphed loudly and picked up the tray of empty dishes, returning to the kitchen. “Aww, Spike, I loved it, honest!” Twilight called after him.

“I need a raise,” muttered Spike as he disappeared around a corner, tearing off his heart-emblazoned apron and tossing it on the floor.

Upon Spike's departure, Twilight hung her head low. With the distraction of a hot meal gone, the unsettling words of Greyhoof's story returned in full force. She tried to push even the notion of Celestia doing such a horrible thing out of her mind with every fibre of her being, but the missing pages loomed large in her thoughts. On her rare trips into the Princess's private library, she always remembered how perfectly maintained it was. Surely the Princess would never allow such harm to come to a tome as precious as this one. Even if it was an accident, the particular section of the book that was missing was far too convenient.

Greyhoof knelt down by Twilight with a slightly flustered expression. It was almost as if he wanted to comfort her, but was unsure of the manner in which to do so. “Look, Twilight, just forget about this whole mess. I really should've kept my mouth shut. I think I'd like to go for a walk. Why don't we go to Sweet Apple Acres once I return, after you've had some time alone to think about this?”

“But...” Twilight was silenced by Greyhoof softly raising a hoof to her mouth.

Greyhoof offered as comforting a smile as he could manage. “I'll be back in about an hour and we can discuss this further. Please, just try to relax.”

Twilight nodded glumly at Greyhoof, who brought himself to his full height. His horn shimmering slightly, Greyhoof gently let himself out of the library, Twilight blankly staring after him. The door closed behind Greyhoof with a soft click.

Twilight had barely moved from her place on the floor when Greyhoof left the library. Poring through book after book, she fruitlessly searched for something, anything that could possibly disprove Greyhoof's story. Eventually, her eyes swam out of focus as his words repeated in her head over and over again. The concept of Princess Celestia striking down one of her own siblings was ludicrous to Twilight. Sure, Celestia had done so once before, banishing her sister for a millennium, but she did so out of necessity alone.

How could one as kind, gentle, and wise as the Princess be responsible for such a horrific act? An act that was wrought out of jealousy and malice and not necessity. If Princess Luna once went mad with jealousy, what's stopping it from happening to her sister? thought Twilight, her mind rife with doubt. She suddenly felt a rock hit the pit of her stomach. If King Cosmo really did exist and he really was murdered in cold blood... Then what else is the Princess hiding? Have I really been lied to all these years? Twilight released the book she had been pretending to read, allowing it to hit the wooden floor with a dull thump. Twilight's inner turmoil was interrupted by barely audible rapping on the door.

“C-come in,” stammered Twilight.

The door creaked open, slowly revealing Fluttershy. Once it had opened all the way, she stood in the doorway, rocking back and forth.

“Fluttershy? Are you alright?” asked Twilight, trying to compose herself. “It's okay. I said you could come in.”

Fluttershy took a few cautious steps forward before striding purposefully toward Twilight, her eyes avoiding Twilight's gaze and instead darting from book to book as she moved.

“What's wrong? Can I help you with something?” said Twilight when she saw Fluttershy scanning her books.

“Um...” Fluttershy flinched as if Twilight's query was somehow painful. “Yes. Yes there is.”

“What's the matter? Will some of my books help you?”

“Well, maybe they can. I was wondering if...” Fluttershy's words quickly dissolved into an incoherent sort of mumble as her head drooped low enough for the bottom of her mane to touch the library floor. “Nothing.”

Twilight gave Fluttershy a quizzical look. “So you don't want help with anything?”

Fluttershy shook her head vehemently.

“So... you do want help?”

Fluttershy nodded.

“What do you want help with?”

“Um, I uh... um...” Fluttershy lowered her head.

Twilight sighed. “Come on, Fluttershy. I know something's bothering you.” She rested a hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder.

Fluttershy's only response was a squeak accompanied by a shudder.

“Spit it out,” ordered Twilight sternly. “I know you have trouble with this sort of thing, but keeping it bottled up isn't the answer.”

Fluttershy eventually raised her head and looked directly at Twilight. “Rainbow,” she whispered.

“Oh, is that what this is about?” asked Twilight as understanding began to dawn on her.

Fluttershy's mane whipped up and down as she nodded. "I... I need your help to convince Rainbow Dash. She isn't helping me look for the animals. I've asked her as nicely as I could, but she's just being a really big meanie and ignoring me.” Fluttershy gave a quiet whimper. “Well, maybe mean isn't quite the right word... She has been pretty busy with this or that. Maybe I'm the pony being selfish because I'm expecting her to help me.”

Twilight looked at Fluttershy, dumbfounded.

"But the missing animals are just so important. Of course she should help me look for them. But she can't leave poor Scootaloo after promising for so long to give her a flying lesson. So maybe I should wait until she's done... but I have no idea where the animals are..."

Still mystified, Twilight raised an eyebrow at her friend. "Fluttershy, what are you..."

Fluttershy quivered for a moment before unfurling her wings and lunging at Twilight, embracing her and bawling into her shoulder. “Oh, Twilight, I'm just so worried! I've been so worried for days and I can't stop! I know you told me they'd be back, but I just don't think they will! I don't know where they are or what happened to them! I need somepony's help – Rainbow's or yours – but everypony just keeps ignoring me!”

Twilight was taken aback. “I... I didn't know you felt that way. I'm so sorry if it felt like we were ignoring you,” She gently patted Fluttershy on the back. “Rainbow did say that she'd help you out,” she said soothingly. “Remember, a promise is a promise. If anypony sticks by her friends and keeps her promises, it's Rainbow.”

“You're right!” exclaimed Fluttershy, looking up at Twilight with wide eyes. “But... what should I do in the meantime?”

“I'll tell you what,” offered Twilight. “We can look through a few books on the matter. It may help you figure out what the problem is.”

“Oh, no,” said Fluttershy, her mane swishing from side to side as she shook her head. “I couldn't. You're in the middle of studying. You've been in the middle of studying for weeks now. I can't possibly –”

“I think it would be a great idea,” insisted Twilight, trotting over to a nearby bookshelf. “Looking up some animal facts should be a lot less frustrating than trying to learn about what Princess Celestia was like over a thousand years ago.” She began scanning the spines of the books lining the walls with well-practiced speed.

Once she had procured a half dozen titles, Twilight cleared a space on the floor and gave half of the books each to herself and Fluttershy. They started reading, the each one's subject covering a different aspect of Equestrian wildlife, from behaviour, to migration patterns, to preferred diet.

It was not long before Twilight's voice sliced through the silence. “Hang on, I think I've found something.”

Fluttershy instantly looked over at the book nestled between Twilight's hooves. Twilight cleared her throat and started to read it aloud: “Animal Instincts: The Greatest Danger of All,” she began. “Perhaps the most peculiar and rarely seen of all animal instincts, this form of behaviour can occur in all creatures, regardless of species. The exact causes for it are largely unknown. However, it is only triggered when a sense of primal fear that vastly exceeds anything normally experienced is incurred upon them. While the causes may be unknown, nothing short of extreme caution should be observed if it is believed to be happening within the local wildlife. Whatever the threat may be is probably lethal to ponies as well. Such threats should be identified and dealt with or avoided as quickly as possible. The only common sign of this behaviour among the wildlife is mass disappearance. The animals will flee as far as they feel they need to until they deem themselves far enough from the threat to remain safe.”

Twilight looked grimly at Fluttershy when she finished reading. “Fluttershy,” she said, her voice etched with seriousness, “do you think this is what happened to them?”

“I-I-I don't k-know,” stammered Fluttershy, her lip quivering as she stared at the book, transfixed. “I can't be sure.”

“I hope you and Rainbow can get to the bottom of this,” said Twilight. “If you think, even for a second, that what happened to the animals is what was described in this book, come straight to me. It sounds like it could pose a threat to all of Ponyville.”

“O-okay,” said Fluttershy.

“Look, I mean it,” said Twilight. “You came here in a really bad state because you weren't assertive enough. I know you've been working on it, but I'm not sure it was your friends ignoring you. If you think that what the book says is correct, make yourself heard, express your concerns. We'll listen. I promise.”

“Thanks, Twilight. I will.” Fluttershy nodded resolutely and let herself out of the library, flying back to her house at a few feet above ground level.

“That girl,” said Twilight to herself. “I hope she took that to heart. I can't imagine how upsetting it must be to feel ignored all the time.”

Twilight closed the door, continuing to muse. Back to studying. She meandered over to the pile of books that she and Greyhoof had been consulting earlier in the morning. After re-shelving the volumes on animals, she settled down and immersed herself in her studies once again. She became so focused that she failed to hear the sound of the front door opening.

Twilight's head snapped up when she heard loud hoofsteps in front of her, seeing an annoyed Greyhoof. “Sorry I'm late,” he grunted.

“Greyhoof, what's wrong?” Twilight asked, Greyhoof's tone of voice jarring her back to reality.

“I was out in the field and I bumped into Rainbow Dash and a filly called Scootaloo,” said Greyhoof. “I'll have you know that your friend Rainbow seems to enjoy getting into arguments wrought from ignorance and pride at the drop of a hat.”

Blinking, Twilight shook her head as she processed Greyhoof's words. Not wanting to cause her new friend any discomfort, she put on a brave face and pretended to be over the ordeal from earlier this morning. “Wait – argument?” Momentarily forgetting the dull ache in her stomach, she continued. “Rainbow didn't give you any trouble, did she? Normally she isn't like this, but she can be quite brusque at times...”

Greyhoof looked away from Twilight, fixating his gaze on a nearby wall. “Trouble is an understatement. I was merely offering my wisdom during a flying lesson that she was giving to Scootaloo. I lent a hoof and she treated me like an enemy. Is it true that somepony so... churlish wields an Element of Harmony?”

Twilight looked at Greyhoof defiantly. “Don't talk about Rainbow that way! There has to be more to it. What happened? What did you say to her?”

“She started it,” insisted Greyhoof, taking a step back. “I offered that filly friend of hers nothing but help and kindness, and Rainbow threw it back in my face. Fortunately, my methods proved correct and I simply left Rainbow to realize the error of her ways.”

I've got a feeling her side of the story will be different. Twilight tried to get off the subject. “Well, that's something at least, but I hope you can make things up with Rainbow in the near future.”

“Why do you say that?” inquired Greyhoof.

Twilight put her hoof on her muzzle for a few seconds before answering, choosing her words carefully. “Well,” she finally said delicately. “Rainbow and flying can be... a bit touchy at times. Listening to others on the subject has never been her forte.” Her brow furrowed as she struggled to continue her explanation. “That said, Rainbow is a truly brave and loyal pony, and is one of my best friends. If it weren't for her, my friends and I wouldn't be here right now. As far as the whole flying thing's concerned, if I understand it correctly, flying school didn't exactly go over too well with her. I mean, she's the best flier I've had the pleasure of knowing, but...”

Greyhoof nodded as an expression of understanding began to appear. “I see, but expect no apology from me. As far as I'm concerned, she instigated the whole thing. She's not a filly; she's a grown mare. I may reconsider my position on her when she starts acting like one.” He took a quick note of Twilight's expression, her distress from earlier in the morning shining on her face like a beacon. “Hmmm, perhaps I should've been gone a while longer to let you collect yourself.”

Twilight subconsciously backpedaled. “What? I'm fine, honest.”

“You and – Applejack, was it? – said something about a trip to her apple farm today,” offered Greyhoof. “I think the both of us could use a nice, long walk, away from the stuffiness of a library and featherbrained pegasi.”

Twilight perked up. “Oh yes! Silly me, I'd forgotten all about that.” Her horn shimmered. “Give me a second. I'll grab some books –”

Greyhoof shook his head solemnly. “Many a time that I've looked in the mirror, I've seen the face that you wear now. I can put a petty squabble behind me, but you're clearly under a lot of stress.” He threw a hoof around Twilight's shoulder and steered her toward the still open library door. “You need some fresh air.”

“But –” protested Twilight.

“And no books.”

Once both of them had cleared the doorway, Greyhoof shut the door behind them. With Twilight in the lead, they headed across town toward Sweet Apple Acres. The streets of Ponyville teemed with afternoon activity befitting such a wonderful day, and bits of cheerful conversation from those around them reached their ears.

“You know,” said Greyhoof, breaking the silence between them, “it's been a while since I've been in a town this big.”

Twilight laughed. “This big? It took me some time to adjust to how small it is.”

Greyhoof grinned. “Not everypony is from Canterlot.”

“True enough.” Twilight continued to laugh.

Greyhoof looked at Twilight. “So tell me.” He paused for a second to allow her eyes to meet his. “What brings you to a town as quaint as this? I have little doubt your studies would be far more fruitful if you had access to the Royal Library in Canterlot.”

“Friendship.”

Twilight's simple answer caught Greyhoof completely off guard. He stopped dead in his tracks and tilted his head at her in confusion. “Friendship? What do you mean, 'friendship'?”

Twilight turned to face Greyhoof, confusion still written all over his face. “At first, I thought I was living a perfect life. I was the Princess's most prized student. I got to live in the Canterlot Library, home to the greatest collection of books in all of Equestria. With Spike as my assistant, I learned more and more about magic every day, but something was missing...” Her voice trailed off.

Greyhoof gave Twilight a wistful look. “It sounds wonderful. What I wouldn't give –”

“Friendship. Friendship was missing,” interjected Twilight, acting as if Greyhoof had remained silent. “On one fateful day, I read an old mare's tale – like the one you told me – that predicted the return of Nightmare Moon. Naturally, I informed the Princess about what I had discovered immediately. Do you know what her reaction was?”

Greyhoof shook his head as both unicorns resumed walking.

“She dispatched me to this place, Ponyville. The last thing she wrote on her missive was 'Make some friends,'” Twilight recollected. “I didn't understand it at first, either,” she quickly added, noticing Greyhoof's blank stare. “While ensuring that the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration were in order, I met the five ponies that I have the great privilege of calling my best friends, four of whom you've already met.” Her tone became more stern and dramatic as Twilight began to get into her story. “It wasn't long before Nightmare Moon descended upon us and brought with her night eternal. We rushed headlong into the Everfree Forest to obtain the Elements of Harmony, the only weapon that could be used against her.”

Twilight paused to regain her breath as she spoke more rapidly. “We tried to stand against her, but all hope seemed lost. When Nightmare Moon was moments away from victory, I finally understood what the Princess had sent me to do.” Twilight beamed at Greyhoof as she reached the moral of her story. “To make some friends!”

Greyhoof looked at Twilight, nonplussed.

“You see, Greyhoof, the Elements of Harmony were able to defeat Nightmare Moon, and it was thanks to my five friends that the sixth Element, Magic, was unlocked.” Twilight looked at Greyhoof as understanding slowly started to dawn on him. “It was on that day I realized what friendship really was. I may spend a lot of my time studying, especially lately, but the truth is, I can't survive without friendship.” Staring intently at Greyhoof, Twilight drove her point home. “And neither could Equestria, as it turns out. Twice.”

Greyhoof took a while to form words as he struggled to process Twilight's story. “So, it was something as simple as friendship, and not your exceptional magical talent that defeated not only Nightmare Moon, but Discord as well?” he asked curiously.

“The sixth Element is indeed Magic,” Twilight explained, “but without true friendship, it is powerless.”

“I've... never been in one place long enough to make any friends,” admitted Greyhoof dejectedly. “Once I concluded my business in whatever city or town I happened to be in, I was off to my next destination. When I was a colt, I never really knew anypony besides my adoptive parents.”

Twilight gave Greyhoof a comforting smile. “Well, you're more than welcome to stay in Ponyville for as long as it takes.”

The tips of Greyhoof's ears reddened. “T-thanks,” he stammered. By now, they were well clear of Ponyville. “So... tell me about Sweet Apple Acres.”

“Well...” began Twilight, “it's a farm.” This earned her a facehoof from her friend. “Some of the best apples in all of Equestria are grown there. I’ll warn you, after trying some of the products they make, you probably won't ever want to leave Ponyville.” As she talked, Greyhoof looked back at the path they had trodden, distracted by the faint sound of hooves behind them. “On top of that, the Apple family is the nicest bunch of ponies you'll ever meet, though Applejack is the only one at the farm, currently.”

“Isn't that her now?” asked Greyhoof.

Twilight turned around. Sure enough, she could see Applejack galloping toward them, her ponytail mane flapped wildly behind her. When she reached them, Applejack mopped her brow with her hat, panting heavily. Twilight's heart skipped a beat when she noticed Applejack's face was almost as pale as her freckles. “Applejack! What happened?” cried Twilight.

“It's – Rarity,” wheezed Applejack. “I talked with her the other day. She was supposed to come to lunch this afternoon – ya know, to take a break from her dressmaking. She didn’t come, so I went by her house to drag her out here, but she wasn’t around.”

Twilight frowned. “That's hardly unusual. She’s probably out gathering materials for her dresses, or something.”

Applejack shook her head and wordlessly passed Twilight a crumpled piece of paper from inside her hat. Twilight unfolded it and immediately noticed Rarity's hoofwriting. Clearing her throat, she began to read the note aloud: “‘To whoever is reading this, I'm sorry that I'm not in at the moment. I am certain that whoever you are, you must understand how inspiration can be. In case you are unaware, Hoity Toity specifically requested an ensemble of dresses for the upcoming Summer Sun Celebration in Canterlot! Can you imagine it? My dresses, in one of the most important social gatherings of the year! Naturally, I couldn't just whip up any old thing, oh no! What a crime –’” Twilight shook her head in amazement. “You know, Rarity, most ponies just say where they are and when they'll be back in notes like this."

Applejack read along over Twilight's shoulder. “Skip down here,” she said impatiently, pointing to a sentence near the end of the note.

Twilight obliged. “Let's see... ‘And then it hit me. Platinum! Just think of how dazzling it would look! The sun, summoned by Princess Celestia herself, glinting off a fine platinum finish! Now I'm sure you know that it is no easy feat to come by the quantities of platinum I require. That is why I have embarked on an expedition to a cave north of Froggy Bottom Bog.’” Twilight looked up in shock. “What?”

“Keep reading,” grunted Applejack.

“‘Word has it that it is home to a rich platinum vein. With any luck, I'll be back in town at around...’” Twilight scanned the rest of the letter and looked up. “But that's yesterday evening! She's hours overdue!”

Applejack locked eyes with Twilight. “Exactly! She should've been back by now. There's somethin' fishy about that there cave she mentioned, too. If platinum is worth so much, don't ya think them rich Canterlot ponies would've tapped into it by now?”

“Of course!” exclaimed Greyhoof. “There's got to be a good reason for that.”

“A dangerous reason,” finished Applejack.

“Oh no...” gasped Twilight. “You don't think she's...”

Applejack shook her head. “There's no way of knowing until we go there and have ourselves a look-see. At least Rarity left a map to the cave. I got it right here.” She patted her left saddlebag.

“Where is this swamp?” asked Greyhoof.

“Far,” said Twilight glumly. “Far enough away that walking will take too long... I know! We can take my balloon! It's by the Ponyville schoolhouse.”

“Then what are we waitin' for? She might be in trouble!” shouted Applejack, turning to go down the path back to Ponyville.

“Wait!” exclaimed Twilight, stopping Applejack short. She pointed to Applejack’s saddlebags. “We need provisions – some food and water. Who knows how long we’ll be in that cave?”

Applejack nodded. “Yer right, Twilight. I’ll head back to the farmhouse and meet you at the school lickety-split.”

* * *

Twilight and Greyhoof, newly burdened with Spike’s leftovers and plenty of water, arrived at the schoolhouse to find Applejack engaged in earnest conversation with Cheerilee. As they approached, Twilight could see the lines of worry in Cheerilee’s face more easily.

“Finally,” said Applejack, when they were within earshot. “I'll tell ya what, Cheerilee: if everything goes well on our end and Twist is still missin' when we get back, we'll get to the bottom of it.”

Giving Applejack a quick hug, Cheerilee thanked her before beginning the task of rounding up her students.

“What was that about?” said Twilight, watching the schoolyard slowly empty.

“Twist played hooky or somethin’. Hasn’t been seen all morning. Now, how ‘bout we get that balloon flying?”

Twilight brought her companions around the corner of the schoolhouse. Sure enough, she found the balloon right where she left it. With the help of Greyhoof and Applejack, Twilight filled the balloon's envelope with hot air. Soon, they were off, quickly gaining altitude and flying northward through the afternoon sky.

* * *

After setting the balloon on its way to the Bog, Twilight had the opportunity to sit back and take in the view. Even in a situation like this, she could appreciate the beauty of the valley in springtime. Yet as she ascended, what she saw matched more and more closely the setting of her dream two nights ago.

Too many things to worry about. Princess Celestia, the dream, Rarity... There’s only one thing that should be on my mind right now. She shot a glance at her companions. Greyhoof's gaze was fixed on Canterlot, far in the distance. From the look on his face, it was clear he hadn’t flown before. Applejack, in contrast, was staring at the floor of the basket.

Twilight tried to make conversation. “We should be thinking about what we’ll do when we get to the cave. How should we start looking for Rarity? Should we start in the cave? Maybe she ran into trouble in the Bog.”

“‘Running into trouble in the bog’ would probably mean gettin’ jumped by the hydra or falling into the swamp and drowning,” said Applejack, shuddering. “I think it’s best if we just stick with the idea that Rarity’s walkin’ around in the cave, lost somewhere.”

“Rarity may have left some trace of her passage if she made it into the cave,” said Greyhoof. “The cave entrance should be the first place we search.”

* * *

Using the map and the letter to find the cave proved easy enough. “A view like this makes navigating effortless,” said Greyhoof, as he directed Twilight to the base of what Rarity had called a mountain but which was more like a rocky hill. All that remained was the trek up.

This isn’t going to go well, thought Twilight, as she eyed the path, or lack thereof, up to the cave.

She was right. Soon, Greyhoof and Applejack were standing impatiently at the cave mouth, neither looking like they'd broken a sweat, as Twilight took step after agonizing step to reach them.

“You should come applebuckin' with me sometime,” said Applejack, as Twilight reached the top and collapsed into the dirt. “It makes little hills like this a cinch.”

“Little. Ha ha. Very funny.”

Greyhoof shrugged. “I'm used to it. Traveling around Equestria turns out to be a pretty good stamina builder.”

Applejack smiled at Greyhoof. “I didn't think unicorns were known for strength.”

Greyhoof laughed, the sound reverberating in the cavern in front of them. “In my opinion, one must sharpen both body and mind in order to truly become proficient in the magical arts.”

“Can – can we – wait just a few – more minutes – please?” pleaded Twilight as she spotted Greyhoof and Applejack taking a few steps forward.

They waited for her. Twilight took the opportunity to look at her surroundings as she rested. She couldn’t see far into the cave, which sloped downward sharply. Outside the cave, rocky crags lay to the right of her, with marsh to the left and behind. And in the dirt, about twenty feet away –

“Hoofprints!” Twilight gasped, springing up. “Greyhoof, Applejack. Are those yours?”

“I don’t reckon,” said Applejack, as she came over. “I don’t think either of us went over that way after we got to the top.” She took a closer look at the prints. “These are a mite smaller than mine, and I think… yep, smaller than Greyhoof’s too. Rarity made it to the cave, looks like.”

“No time to lose, then, yes?” said Greyhoof. “Let’s get going.”

They of them entered the cave. The sound of their hoof-falls echoed off the walls as the dark cavern seemed to swallow them. Twilight shivered as a few drops of water fell on her from the ceiling.

“Hey, that was my hoof!” exclaimed Applejack a while later.

“Sorry,” said Twilight, “I can't see anything in this blackness. I’ll just...”

Greyhoof lit his horn, illuminating the cave around them. “There.”

Twilight turned to face the group. “Thanks, Greyhoof.” She nodded. “Right. What do we do now?”

Applejack peered down the cave's path. “Only one way down, looks like. No reason not to just keep walking until we get to a fork.”

“Uh, right. We’ll just... keep walking, then,” Twilight concluded lamely.

The ponies proceeded through the long, winding route, their progress aided by the constant downward angle of the tunnel.

“Just how far down does this thing go?” said Applejack some minutes later.

“A while yet, I'd imagine,” replied Greyhoof. “Platinum is, after all, a precious metal. Generally, precious metals are found within subterranean rock,” he said almost mechanically. “One would assume, therefore, that if a platinum deposit really exists, these caverns will extend far underground.”

Applejack kicked a loose stone in agitation. “Fantastic.” An uneasy silence followed. “There's just something about this cave... I don't know what, but I don't like it. It just don't feel right...”

Twilight would have offered some words of comfort, but what Applejack said reflected her own feelings of foreboding. She looked in Greyhoof's direction. Twilight was hardly surprised to see that his expression had changed very little and took a modicum of comfort in how calm and collected he appeared. When she looked into his eyes, though, that comfort was quickly dispelled: the twin orange orbs flickered wildly like a candle that was about to be snuffed out.

Twilight remained silent, hanging her head a few inches lower than normal as the ponies journeyed onward. During their descent into the mountain, the clopping sound made by their hoof-falls was their only companion. As they walked, she noticed the air becoming thick and damp. Moisture gave the rocks a slick appearance and drops of water coalesced and fell from the ceiling. We’re under the bog, I guess.

After what felt like hours, the path leveled off and opened up, revealing a vast cavern with numerous tunnels many times larger than the one they had been trudging through.

Twilight was unable to suppress a loud gasp. “I can't believe such a place has been here all this time without us knowing.”

“Whoa nelly...” breathed Applejack in amazement. “Ya could fit the whole barn in here, no sweat... Where to now, Twilight?”

“We just need to pick any tunnel, I suppose. Why don’t you choose?”

Applejack frowned as she looked at each passage one by one. “Well... I think –”

“No,” stated Greyhoof flatly, his interjection silencing her.

A few seconds passed before the silence was broken. “Uh... beg pardon?”

Greyhoof turned to face the mares, the fire in his eyes rekindled. “That would be an asinine course of action.” He maintained his characteristically flat tones as he spoke. “First, we will mark our location using loose stones; there's no telling how many of these paths double back on themselves. I for one will not spend the rest of my days navigating this maze.” Greyhoof's horn shimmered as over a dozen rocks of various sizes floated toward the cave mouth that they had come from and arranged themselves into a sort of crude statue. “Next, we will –”

“Now hang on just a second!” cut in Applejack. “Who died and made you king of Equestria?”

Greyhoof stiffened momentarily before resting his blazing gaze on Applejack. “If you stopped to think for a moment, you'd realize it would be wise to heed my words.” He stared determinedly into her eyes until her continued silence was assured. “Now, we shall test these tunnels systematically. Each time we encounter a cavern such as this one, a similar marker will be erected to mark our progress. With any luck, we'll find what we came for.”

Applejack simply stood there and spluttered furiously. Twilight blinked in surprise and shook herself. “I can see your reasoning, but –”

Greyhoof raised a silencing hoof in Twilight's direction. “No, Twilight, this isn't the time. Something's giving me the feeling that it isn't completely safe down here. It would behoove us to make this trip as short as possible.” Greyhoof began walking toward the leftmost tunnel. “We will try this one. Now.” He led the way, and, after a pause, Twilight and Applejack reluctantly followed.

Twilight had never seen this side of her new friend before. On one hoof, she couldn't deny the cold logic of Greyhoof, but his approach conjured up many unpleasant feelings deep within her. Now I can see why he and Rainbow would have had their differences. As she thought back to the last few days, more troubling instances of Greyhoof's unpleasantness came to mind – his treatment of Pinkie Pie during the party, for instance. Is this really who he is? She felt sick to her stomach as they continued to walk, the inner turmoil stirred up by Greyhoof's outburst refusing to be silenced.

Twilight was suddenly struck by a burst of insight. Maybe this is just a result of dedicating his life to study. If I had stayed cooped up with my books and hadn't ever come to Ponyville, is this how I would have turned out? She gave Greyhoof, still leading the way down the tunnel, an empathetic look that he couldn't see. Her heart was filled with a sudden resolve to teach him the same friendship lessons she had learned what felt like so long ago. Princess Celestia always taught me to try to find the best in everypony. I'll do more than that. I'll show Greyhoof the best in him.

In silence, they moved forward through the winding tunnels. More than once they came to a place where three or more passages met, and more than once they found that a path had led them in a circle or a dead end. The rocks they laid showed them the ways they’d already been, as well as the way to the surface. As the hours passed, the passages were eliminated one by one. They kept walking, until –

“Wait a sec.” Applejack stopped in her tracks, her ears perked. “Y’all hear that?”

Twilight froze, straining her ears, at first hearing nothing but the fading echoes of their hoof-falls and the dripping of water all around. Something in the distance lay at the limit of what she could hear – an indiscernible something which grew into an unmistakable sob.

“It’s her,” breathed Twilight, not bothering to wait for anypony’s lead as she took off down the passage.

It didn’t take long for them to find Rarity. She sat in the middle of a tunnel, mane filthy, head in hooves, only reacting to the light of Greyhoof’s horn when they were less than fifty yards away. She stood up, knees shaking, only to be knocked back down by Twilight’s tearful embrace.

Applejack had no tears to shed. “What – were – you – thinkin’?” she said through gritted teeth, emphasizing each word with a firm poke in the ribs. With Twilight locking her down, Rarity could hardly defend herself. “Goin’ out to Froggy Bottom Bog, alone. Goin’ spelunking in a strange cave, alone! Why, you coulda broken a leg, or been eaten, or... or...”

Applejack ran out of steam, turning away. Behind them, Greyhoof pawed the ground impatiently.

Twilight let Rarity out of her grasp. “You’re probably famished. We brought some food and water. I’ve got some sandwiches, and Applejack brought...” She opened up Applejack’s saddlebags and peered inside. “Didn’t you pack anything besides apples?”

Applejack shrugged. “What more d’ya need?”

They ate together, waiting for Rarity to find her voice and tell them what had happened. Finally, she began to string sentences together, her voice hoarse. “Thank... thank you, all of you.” She took a big bite out of an apple. “I got lost down here almost immediately. I didn’t know right from left, and I just kept moving forward, trying to make my way back out. But then, I found this on the floor of this tunnel.” She opened up her bag and brought out a small nugget. “Exactly what I was looking for... and it meant that I wasn’t anywhere close to the entrance. I was hungry, thirsty… I just laid down right here and felt sorry for myself.” She made a face as she remembered. “I can’t believe I gave up, just like that!”

She turned to Applejack. “I’m sorry I didn’t ask for help. You all just seemed so busy, Twilight with her studies, you with the farm... I just didn’t want to be a burden.”

She caught Greyhoof’s blank stare. “You came along to rescue me, but I don’t think I know you. Have we met?”

“No, we have not. My name is Greyhoof. I’m happy to meet you, since that means we can finally get out of this cave. Are we all ready to head back?” He glared at his companions as if daring them to say no. “If yes, then…”

“Ah,” said Rarity, putting the nugget back in her bag. “I can’t say that I’m ready to leave just yet. You see, I haven’t got what I came for.”

Applejack, Twilight, and Greyhoof stared at her blankly. It took a while for her meaning to sink in.

“You’re kidding, right?” said Twilight, speaking for the three of them.

“I’m so close, Twilight!” said Rarity, with a sudden burst of energy that made them all jump. “This cave, this very tunnel, has the platinum I need. It has to be close. There’s no way I’ll leave without it, not after what I’ve been through. How foolish it would be for me to give up now when the goal is right in front of my face!”

Twilight didn’t try to continue the argument. When Rarity was like this, contradiction was futile.

Applejack knew it, too. “We’ll head to the end of this tunnel, and that’s it. We don’t find anything, we go home. Deal?”

“Deal,” said a triumphant Rarity, lighting her horn and setting a quick pace down the tunnel without a backward glance.

Twilight looked after her, mouth agape. “How is she able to keep going after all that?”

Applejack gave Twilight a wry smile. “Apples, Twilight. Like I said, what more d’ya need?”

It wasn’t long before the jaunt further underground bore fruit. Every five minutes or so, the light from Rarity and Greyhoof’s horns struck a small chunk of platinum on the cavern floor. Rarity’s elation grew with each discovery, but Twilight didn't share her feelings. With each step, the cave seemed to grow darker, damper, and more stifling.

Rarity picked up yet another piece of platinum, and when she put it in her bag, it made the noise of metal hitting metal instead of the cloth bottom. “Fantastic! At this rate, I’ll have more than enough to –“

CRACK! Rarity was cut off as a loud noise split the air.

Twilight leapt high into the air; the sound had come from directly beneath the stalagmite that she was resting on. She landed a couple of feet away from it, holding a hoof to her chest and breathing harder than usual.

Rushing to Twilight's side, Applejack threw a comforting hoof around her shoulders. “Are you okay, sugarcube?”

“I think so,” gasped a rattled Twilight. “I think we should get moving.”

Nopony needed telling twice. In moments, the four of them had put considerable distance between them and the stalagmite. They proceeded quickly, but cautiously, as if the sound of their hoof-falls upon the rock were somehow responsible for the noise.

CRACK! It was even louder this time.

“D-did you hear that?” stammered Rarity.

“Um, yes?” muttered Applejack, no less shaken up than the rest of them. “I knew somethin' wasn't right,” she whispered in a barely audible voice. “I... I don't think we're alone...”

The four ponies looked at each other, their eyes widening in fear. Twilight took an inadvertent step back, the thought of somehow being watched causing her to recoil reflexively. Another crack, the loudest of them all, came from directly under where Twilight was standing. Before she could react, the floor broke from beneath her hooves and a large, clawed hand connected to a massive, muscle-bound blue arm shot out of the ground. The hand was so huge that it encircled Twilight's torso with ease and yanked her down the hole.

“HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!” screamed Twilight as she was violently pulled away from the group, her shout trailing off while she was dragged down the new passage at an alarming speed.

“Twilight!” cried Applejack, Rarity, and Greyhoof in tandem as Twilight disappeared into the dark abyss below.