• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 3,122 Views, 159 Comments

Repercussions - GaryOak



None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.

  • ...
22
 159
 3,122

Chapter XXII - The Battle of Canterlot

Chapter XXII
The Battle of Canterlot
===============

Braeburn lost his balance and fell on his back after ducking an oncoming hoof. His foe raised his spear triumphantly and prepared to drive it through Braeburn's neck. As the armoured earth pony lunged forward, Sheriff Silverstar blindsided him with a kick to the head, the blow smashing the soldier's helmet and killing him instantly.

“You okay?” said Silverstar, shoving the fallen soldier off Braeburn.

“Yeah, I think so,” said Braeburn, standing back up and shaking himself. “There's just no end to these guys!”

Silverstar nodded and grunted before knocking the spear out of an advancing soldier's hooves and bearing down on him. The two wrestled, each one's muzzle pressed against the other. Silverstar slowly pushed his opponent toward the ground, raised a forehoof, and slammed it down on the soldier's head. The soldier staggered backward before Silverstar bludgeoned him again. With a third strike, the soldier's eyes rolled up into his head and his legs gave way. Silverstar scarcely had time to mop his brow before another soldier took his fallen comrade's place.

“Come on, everypony!” said Braeburn, rushing back into the fray. “We ain't goin' nowhere at this rate! Let's show Cosmo what Appleloosans are made of!”

Everypony within earshot roared and pushed forward with renewed vigour, driving the entire left flank of the King's army back despite the large numerical difference. While the Appleloosans lacked the discipline of the trained fighting force of King Cosmo, the countless long days of work spent in harsh and unsettled fields had toughened them up to the point of being every bit as valuable in combat as a battle-hardened soldier.

A wave of fear swept through the ranks of Cosmo's forces as the Appleloosans performed stunning feats of strength, felling soldier after soldier with few losses of their own. Between kicks from their powerful legs conditioned from years of apple bucking, as well as bites, leg sweeps, and lashes from their tails, the fierce and desperate southern ponies slaughtered soldier after soldier, and continued their push forward.

But the seemingly endless reinforcements of Cosmo's legions began to sap at their strength. The traditional hoof-to-hoof combat training of Cosmo's soldiers was inferior to the Appleloosan fighting style, but numbers began to win out. The Appleloosans found themselves losing hard-won ground as the unending tide of soldiers pushed them back.

* * *

The ground battle continued without interference from the air, which was just as hotly contested. As much as Iniquitus yearned to wet his claws with the blood of Cosmo's soldiers, the presence of the traitor dragons forced him to remain in the air. He found himself face to face with a lanky yellow dragon, who bared his claws at his patriarch.

“I never took you for a coward,” Iniquitus growled.

“A coward? Me?” said his foe as he swiped at Iniquitus. “I'm not the one kowtowing to a weakling such as Luna! All these years of 'peace' have made you fat and soft, Iniquitus!”

“This has nothing to do with her, whelp!” said Iniquitus, and snapped his jaws. “Do you not comprehend the virtues of honour for one's brood? I need not remind you that it was Cosmo who would have had us all slaughtered many years ago. It was his 'weak' sisters who persuaded him to stay his hoof. And look at you now – bowing to his every wish. Pathetic.”

The yellow dragon wildly slashed at Iniquitus's chest. His claws inflicted shallow cuts, but the old dragon's exceptionally thick scales saved him from serious harm. Iniquitus bared his fangs before savagely biting into his enemy's neck, puncturing the younger dragon's thinner scales. Iniquitus felt an immense sense of loss when he released his opponent and watched him clutch his neck in pain before losing consciousness and plummeting to the earth below, crushing nearly a dozen battling ponies. With the lesser dragon dispatched, Iniquitus had free reign over the Comets in this part of the sky.

“Such puny and insignificant creatures, pegasi,” said Iniquitus as he soared toward a squadron of Comets.

The Comets formed an attack formation to confront him as he approached. Iniquitus allowed himself a feral grin before belching a gout of flame. Most of the Comets dodged, but a pair were incinerated by his breath. The remainder of his foes regrouped and came at him from all sides, zooming around the behemoth like a swarm of angry bees.

Iniquitus swatted at them with his claws and spiked tail, but the Comets weaved through his attacks, and made quick and precise strikes at every opportunity. He roared with frustration, folded his wings and nose-dived toward the ground. He stopped himself from crashing moments before he would have landed atop a score of friendly troops. Iniquitus's eyes flared as he unleashed another jet of flame.

Baffled by Iniquitus's maneuvers, many Comets could not get out of the way in time. The survivors cried in alarm as they turned tail and fled at top speed toward a larger pack of their comrades. With unrestrained fury in his eyes, Iniquitus barreled after them, the beats of his great wings sending mighty gusts swirling about the soldiers below. He snarled as he cut five retreating pegasi to ribbons with swipes of his claws.

After killing one last pegasus, he paused for a moment to survey the battle as a whole. His heart sank. Luna's forces were outnumbered by more than four to one on all fronts, and were rapidly losing ground. By his calculations, Cosmo had mustered no less than four full legions against them. Even the air battle was not going well, for most of the dragons were too busy fighting each other to make an impact on the rest of the front. Without his assistance, the Cloudsdale pegasi were growing more overwhelmed by the Comets by the minute.

* * *

As she squinted from the light emitted by a burst of Iniquitus's flame breath, Zecora prepared herself for another foray into enemy lines. She fought near the centre of the battle, despite lacking proficiency in hoof-to-hoof combat. She had spent the majority of the past few days gathering as many ingredients as she could to concoct mixtures she would have normally sworn never to touch. The result of her efforts came in the form of slender glass vials filling two bulging saddlebags.

“A zebra!” said a widely grinning Canterlot soldier near her. “My King will reward me handsomely for your head!”

Zecora turned to him, eyes narrowed. “A move like this is most unwise, for anypony who touches this mixture dies!”

The soldier cocked an eyebrow as he began to thrust his spear at her neck. In a flash, Zecora reached into a saddlebag and hurled a vial filled with a sickly green substance at him. It shattered on his muzzle, and he screamed as he collapsed. The soldier writhed on the ground as the acidic substance turned his face into a twisted, melted mess of flesh and metal. Zecora charged forward, lobbing vial after vial into the enemy ranks, each one resulting in a shriek of pain. Cosmo's troops began to falter as Zecora's poison took its toll on their front line.

* * *

The Ponyville and Alpine Heights earth ponies fighting at the centre now pushed forward in earnest, although many did not understand the significance of such a maneuver: Should the centre of the King's army crumble, the flanks would surely follow suit. Cosmo's soldiers, realizing their peril, funneled more reinforcements to their centre.

Overhead, Soarin found the pony he had spent the duration of the combat searching for. “There you are, you coward!” he roared over the din of combat.

“So, you survived my little fireworks display? Impressive,” said Captain Comet, turning to meet him. “I never took you for such a quick flier. I guess that means you succeeded Spitfire as the Wonderbolts' new Captain. You have my congratulations.”

Soarin took a wild swing at the Captain. “Don't you dare speak her name in front of me!”

The Captain banked left and brought his forehooves up. “Come now, Soarin. All is fair in love and war! The King was most impressed when I came up with that maneuver. I'll go down in history as the greatest pegasus general who ever lived!”

Soarin stretched out his forehooves and lunged toward him. The Captain once again evaded the attack, and he aimed a kick at Soarin's exposed back with his hind legs. Soarin spun out of control. Taking advantage of his opponent's lapse, Captain Comet's forehoof connected with Soarin's jaw. Grunting in pain, Soarin kicked the Captain squarely in the stomach with both hind legs. The Captain fell back and coughed up blood as he clutched his stomach.

Captain Comet growled savagely and renewed his attack, but Soarin blocked both jabs with his forehooves. The combatants swung their hooves with little regard for their own safety until Soarin landed a punch directly on the Captain's throat. Captain Comet barely maintained his altitude as he gagged and clutched his throat.

“This one's for Cloudsdale!” said Soarin as he punched the Captain's stomach. “And this one's for Spitfire!” He slammed both forehooves into his foe with all his weight, sending him plummeting toward the ground.

Soarin grunted with grim satisfaction as he saw his fallen opponent disappear into a crowd of Canterlot soldiers below. His euphoria did not last, as he saw the Comets meticulously picking apart his air force. He narrowed his eyes. If he did not think of something soon, the Comets would have free rein over the ground forces of Luna's army.

* * *

Luna and the others cautiously looked around for signs of life, but found none. The castle grounds were eerily quiet, save for the distant clamour of battle. They felt as if they walked through a ghost town. Luna felt completely unnerved.

“Why ain't we just kickin' down the front door again?”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Really, Applejack, have you no sense? The Princess said Cosmo would be expecting that! Canterlot Castle has more than one entrance, you know.”

“Oh, the garden path sounds a lot more nice and peaceful than the main entrance...” said Fluttershy.

“This ain't about nice, ya know,” said Applejack with a sigh.

“Luna says there should be less guards at the garden doors, plus we'll get to Canterlot Tower quicker,” said Pinkie as they reached the garden, the cobblestones giving way to grass.

“I do not like this,” said Luna, eyes narrowed, as they proceeded into the deathly quiet garden. “Cosmo is no doubt aware of our presence by now, and as big as his ego is, surely he did not commit all of his resources to the battle outside the walls.”

“Princess?” said Rarity, concern creeping into her voice.

“Cosmo has some sort of plan,” said Luna, flaring her wings, “and the longer it takes to figure out what it is, the less chance we have of liberating the Elements, much less making it to his throne room.”

“Making it to his throne room?” said Pinkie, scratching her head.

“Yes,” said Luna while keeping her eyes alert and focused ahead. “While his legions may be on the battlefield, he will not allow us to parade through Canterlot Castle without resistance. He will attempt to slay us at every turn.”

Rarity shivered. “Be that as it may. If I remember this part of the grounds, we're almost to the side entrance.”

As they rounded the next corner, the door leading into the castle itself came into view. No sooner had they taken a few steps toward it, than a grotesque avian creature stepped in front of it. It was an enormous monstrosity, the likes of which Luna had never laid eyes upon. Its long, curved beak shone like a scimitar in the sunlight. Instead of feathers, the creature's body was studded with bladed yellow and orange scales, except on its leathery black wings; its clawed, tree trunk-like legs; and its gnarled arms ending in razor-sharp, taloned hands.

“W-what is that thing?” said Fluttershy, scurrying behind a nearby bush.

Luna pawed the ground bitterly. “Cosmo... how could you be so cruel?”

“Huh?” said Applejack as she took a step back.

“This – this thing was once an exotic bird, by the looks of it,” said Luna as she lowered herself into a defensive stance. “But now it has been twisted into this abomination that stands before us by my brother's vile magic.”

The aberration screeched a sound that could only be described as a mixture of a squawk and a roar. Luna's companions trembled. The creature before them was wrought from a magic unlike anything they had ever laid eyes on. It gnashed its beak and lunged forward, brandishing its claws.

“Defend yourselves!” said Luna as she ducked a swipe from the creature.

She rolled to her right and shocked it with a burst of electricity, but the beast did not flinch as it continued to barrel forward. Using its momentum, the monster turned its attention to Applejack, and swiped at her legs. She leapt into the air and narrowly ducked her head under a snap from its beak.

“My hat!” said Applejack as the creature's beak shredded it to ribbons.

Pinkie, swallowing her fear, charged toward the creature headlong, and effortlessly weaved through its scything claws. Once she closed the distance, she spotted a gap in its defenses and struck as hard as she could. The blow rang off the creature's resilient scales. Grunting in annoyance, the monstrosity snapped its beak at her, but she nimbly leapt out of the way and brought her hooves down on its head. Pinkie's assault continued as she dodged the creature's blows and struck it again and again.

“Pinkie, get out of there!” said Luna, magic pulsing all around her. “Its scales are too thick!”

Pinkie glanced back at the Princess and nodded. She ducked another swipe of the creature's claws and galloped to safety as quickly as she could. The moment she had made enough distance between them, Luna fired. The surge of power sped toward the monster, but it raised its arms and put its hands in front of it. When the blast struck, the energy played across its scales, but was mostly contained in its palms. Emitting another ear-splitting screech, the creature clenched its hands into fists and quenched Luna's assault.

Luna gasped. “Impossible! How can a mere beast be this powerful?”

“We've gotta think of somethin'!” said Applejack as she backpedaled toward Luna.

The creature screeched and barreled toward Luna.

“NO!” roared Fluttershy. She flew up from her hiding place and headed straight for the creature. “I have not come this far to see you do this to my friends!”

Fluttershy reached its eye level and stared intently into its beady black eyes. The creature raised a clawed hand and prepared to slice her in half. But it stopped mid-swing. Mesmerized, it gradually lowered its arm.

Luna blinked in surprise. “What in Equestria is happening?”

Rarity quivered with nervous excitement. “I – I think it's the stare!”

Luna turned to her and shot her a sharp glance. “Explain.”

“Fluttershy can occasionally use this stare of hers on all manner of creatures,” said Rarity quickly. “Somehow, it pacifies them.”

Luna immediately took flight. “Of course! This creation of Cosmo's was once a natural being, so part of it must still survive underneath my brother's corruption. Stand back!”

The hypnotized creature's limbs twitched, but it continued to gaze at Fluttershy placidly. Luna focused all of her mental energy and harnessed her magic to probe the creature's body. Heavy resistance met her attempt, but due to the creature's passivity, she evaded Cosmo's enchantments and latched onto what she presumed was the creature's true self, buried deep under the magic.

Unleashing a narrow, concentrated beam of white light, Luna watched with bated breath as the creature emitted a blinding white glow. After a few seconds, it began to undergo a sort of metamorphosis as its shape changed, although the true effect of the spell was lost on the onlookers. Luna gritted her teeth as the beam intensified in one last blast that made everypony shield their eyes. When the light faded, a confused toucan stood where the creature had been. It ruffled its feathers, squawked loudly, and flew to a nearby tree.

“When ya said Cosmo was prepared for us... ya weren't kiddin',” said Applejack as she pawed at her hat's tattered remains.

“There is no time to waste,” said Luna, magic shimmering around her horn and the castle doors. They swung open with no resistance. “We must reclaim the Elements of Harmony before Cosmo figures out our strategy.”

Following her lead, the ponies rushed into Canterlot Castle. Luna slammed the doors behind them as soon as they entered. They found themselves in a familiar room: the ballroom where Twilight's last birthday party was held. Its windows were now barred by large wooden shutters, jet black carpets had replaced the red ones, and Princess Celestia's statue now had an obsidian simulacrum of the King in its place.

“What's happened here?” said Fluttershy, biting her lip. Her eyes rested on one of the many banners of the King.

“The same thing that will befall all of Equestria, should we fail here today,” said Luna grimly, her words echoing off the walls of the deserted ballroom. “Canterlot has already succumbed to his twisted designs. It's just as it was, all those years ago...”

Rarity looked up at her. “You mean when –?”

“Yes, back when we triumphed over Discord,” said Luna, glaring at the King's statue as they walked past it. “It was gradual at first, but before we knew it, the whole castle looked exactly like this room. I cannot believe we did not see it then.” She paused mid-stride and struck the floor with a forehoof, the sound muffled by the carpet. “No, Celestia and I were blinded by our love for our brother and our faith in him as King. We did not realize the truth until the first attack on the zebras came. An entire village, turned to dust. Not a single survivor...”

Applejack nodded at Luna. “The story of the Scourge, like we talked about at Zecora's...”

“It was then that Cosmo's true self shone through,” said Luna as they left the ballroom and began walking down a long hallway. “He betrayed our trust, and the trust of his subjects. Those zebras were loyal to him, but he deemed them unfit to live, solely on the grounds that they were inferior to ponies. After that, we knew we had to stop him. But despite our best efforts, Cosmo somehow survived our attack. I am sorry that your generation must pay the price for our error.”

The ponies gaped at Luna, who looked as if she were about to collapse on the ground and bawl like a filly. Rendered speechless by her words, they pressed on, passing through another set of doors at the hallway's end. They immediately recognized this part of the castle, despite the striking change of decor. They were nearing Canterlot Tower. As they entered another hallway near it, a sight met their eyes that made their jaws drop.

“D-Dashie?” said Pinkie in a high-pitched squeal. “How? How?”

“Don't talk to me,” said Rainbow Dash, her voice full of venom. The large doors slammed shut behind the five ponies. “I know what you did to me. Now, I'm gonna get my revenge!”

Pinkie's eyes widened in horror as she frantically looked around. She could not believe what she beheld. Turning to her friends, she hoped to find sanity in them. But all four stood in place, transfixed by something unseen by her eyes. The others spoke to thin air, and what they said was lost on Pinkie as the room began to dissolve around her, morphing into a warped iteration of Sugarcube Corner's basement. It looked eerily similar to how it had been on the day of Rainbow's murder.

Tears streamed down Pinkie's face as she galloped toward Rainbow. “Dashie, I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! Not a moment goes by when I'm not sorry!”

Rainbow flared her wings and punched Pinkie across the face so savagely that she slid across the floor. “Murderer!”

Pinkie, her vision blurred by tears, hardly saw Rainbow as she bore down on her, preparing to land another blow.

Applejack found herself in the middle of Ponyville. It was night and each of its houses were aflame. A few feet in front of her stood Apple Bloom, completely surrounded by fire and the corpses of villagers.

“Apple Bloom? What in the hay are ya doin' here? It ain't safe! Yer supposed to be in Fillydelphia! Come with me!”

“No,” said Apple Bloom coldly.

“Apple Bloom?”

Apple Bloom waved a hoof carelessly at the inferno. “Look around, Applejack. All of this is your fault.”

Applejack staggered backward. “How in the hay do ya reckon that?”

“You're supposed to be the Element of Honesty, right? Then how come you didn't see through Cosmo's lie? If you did, none of this would've happened! Look around you. They're all dead. Dead because of you!” When Apple Bloom finished speaking, she lunged at Applejack, headbutting her with surprising force.

“Apple Bloom, what's come over you?” said Applejack, rubbing her muzzle while Apple Bloom prepared to strike again.

Everything went pitch black around Rarity. Disoriented, she illuminated the room as best she could with a blue glow from her horn and peered around. She stood in a large cave, its walls slick with moisture. She cautiously plodded forward. When she rounded a corner, she recognized it. It was the network of tunnels beneath Froggy Bottom Bog. Her curiosity as to how she had ended up there vanished when she laid eyes on the pony who occupied the cavern.

“Twilight!” she galloped toward her friend. “I'm so glad to see you! How did we end up here, and how in Equestria did you break free of Cosmo's spell?”

Twilight spat on the ground. “You covetous, greedy mule!” A magenta glow surrounded her horn and Rarity's body. She snarled and flung Rarity against the wall. “Your lust for platinum allowed Cosmo to deceive us, to deceive me into thinking he was some sort of hero! Look at me now!”

Twilight's form warped into that of Miasma, her lantern-like eyes shining on a quivering Rarity. “I am now a slave to the almighty King Cosmo! It is because of you I believed his lies! It is because of you Ponyville is now a mere pile of ash! It is because of you Princess Celestia is dead!”

Rarity's eyes welled with tears. “Twilight, please! I had no idea! None of us –”

Dark purple energy crackled around Miasma's horn. “Spare me your pathetic excuses. Now you will die.”

Fluttershy blinked in astonishment. She found herself in Sugarcube Corner, surrounded by her friends, including Twilight.

“Twilight?” said Fluttershy quizzically. Twilight did not respond.

“She cannot hear you,” said a familiar voice from behind. “This is between you and me.”

She spun around and rubbed her eyes in disbelief. Clad in his tattered black cloak, Greyhoof stood before her, his eyes narrowed and his teeth clenched.

“G-Greyhoof? How?”

“I would have thought that somepony as in touch with animals as you could have pieced it all together, but for once, I was mistaken,” said Greyhoof as he grinned wickedly. “Did you not think that it was my mere presence that struck such deep-seated fear into their tiny little brains?” As he spoke, his voice changed slightly with every word, until it had taken on the sinister tones of King Cosmo. His mane transformed before her eyes, lengthening into its true shape. His cloak had vanished as well, revealing his wings and mark. “I should really be thanking you, for your blindness allowed my plans to reach fruition.”

Fluttershy stumbled backward. “No... it can't be true! I would never –”

“Submit,” said Cosmo, his eyes blazing. “Turn back and give yourself over to my army, or you will be destroyed!”

Luna's eyes narrowed with suspicion as she felt the room around her begin to change. Flaring her wings, she crouched into a fighting stance, preparing to be attacked at any moment. When the walls stopped shimmering, she immediately recognized where she was. It was the top of the east tower of Canterlot Castle, its window broken, the full moon bathing it with its pale light. A pony flew through the broken window. Luna's heart stopped when she saw her...

“Sister?” said Luna, her voice barely a whisper. “How is this possible?”

“How dare you speak to me?” said Celestia, her eyes full of a fury that Luna had not seen in them since their clash a millennium ago. “I should have never shown you mercy when I vanquished Nightmare Moon!”

Luna stood there, unable to move or speak. The words cut into her as painfully as a slash from a unicorn horn.

“All this time that Cosmo had been planning his revenge, you squandered it by flying aimlessly across the countryside!” said Celestia as she approached her sister, her horn aglow with bright-gold power. “Had you been there when he showed himself, I would still be alive! This whole war, all of this frivolous bloodshed, could have been prevented had you not been so self-absorbed!”

Luna closed her eyes and bowed her head. Her sister's words hit her like a sledgehammer. Somehow, she felt her strength and her resolve being sapped by every word Celestia uttered, their inexplicable speaker possessing a sort of warped truth. So utterly disarmed by Celestia's scathing verbal assault, Luna did not raise her defenses against the attack she knew was coming. She could not see it, but Celestia's magical strike left her writhing on the ground in pain.

“Look at you,” Celestia spat with contempt. “Too pathetic to save your own sister, and now too pathetic to even defend yourself from such an elementary attack. I am afraid your little civil war is at an end.”

Pinkie assumed a fetal position as Rainbow continued to mercilessly bludgeon her with her hooves, cursing her name with every blow. Pinkie could have easily avoided many of Rainbow's attacks, but she found her self unable – or unwilling – to do so. Rainbow abruptly stopped swinging. Instead, she stared deeply into Pinkie's eyes, her gaze penetrating her very soul.

“Your strength is gone,” said Rainbow in a jarringly deep, raspy voice, her eyes blazing with an alien, yet somehow familiar, fire. “Your will is gone. Your world is pain. Surrender.”

Pinkie's eyes widened. Rainbow's eyes and voice had resonated deep within her, but not in the intended way. She had seen all this somewhere before. Unbidden, a vivid memory from what felt like years ago flooded into her consciousness. She was in Sugarcube Corner, on the night of the welcoming party she had thrown for Greyhoof. Those eyes had belonged to Greyhoof when his horn shimmered with unknown magic.

“I have use for you,” Greyhoof had said with a manic grin on his face. “Now, carry out your mission. The fate of Equestria depends on it.”

Pinkie calmly stood up as the memory faded. “I... I understand now...”

Rainbow arched an eyebrow. “Oh yeah? What?”

“This isn't real. You aren't real. This has happened before!” A grin spread across Pinkie's muzzle as she spoke. “I won't let this happen – not again!”

“It is pointless to resist! BEND TO MY WILL!” said Rainbow, narrowing her eyes.

“Get out of my head, Cosmo!” said Pinkie as she advanced on Rainbow. “You aren't Dashie! Nothing and nopony can bring her back. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!”

Rainbow flinched in pain at Pinkie's words. Her body, and Sugarcube Corner itself, began to shimmer. Pinkie closed her eyes and summoned every good memory she had of Rainbow Dash. Scattered snippets of all the pranks they had pulled, all the laughs they had shared, and every happy moment they had had together whizzed by her mind's eye.

Rainbow fell to the floor, and her face contorted with pain. “No! What is happening to me? Stop!”

Pinkie began laughing with joy as her memories reached critical mass within her. Rainbow's jaw dropped as a series of tears appeared throughout her body, and silver light shot from them in bright beams. As Pinkie's laughter increased in volume, so too did the damage to Rainbow's body. Pinkie loosed one final laugh, and watched in amazement as Rainbow exploded in a shower of glowing white ethereal shrapnel. She grinned as Sugarcube Corner faded into nothingness and the room reverted back to the way it had been minutes before. Pinkie looked around and saw her four friends on the floor, curled up and sobbing incoherently.

“Wake up, everypony!” yelled Pinkie. “Cosmo's trying to trick you! Think happy thoughts! Be positive! LAUGH!”

Pinkie's friends somehow heard her words, and their glazed looks transformed into expressions of intense focus as they stood up and grinned. One by one, they returned to normal and shook themselves as illusions gave way to reality.

“Pinkie... I – I cannot thank you enough!” said Luna, hugging her tightly. “I was helpless. I could not do anything against his magic.”

“As was I!” said Rarity, her voice trembling. “I thought I was going to be killed in that cave!”

“Everything was burnin', and it was all my fault,” said Applejack. “That is, until I heard a voice. Your voice, Pinkie. It told me to be happy, so I began thinkin' of all the fun I had doing my chores with Apple Bloom! As soon as I started, everything just felt better. I can't explain it...”

“Same here!” said a wide-eyed Fluttershy. “But... how did you escape? Nopony could've told you what you told us.”

“I – I remembered what happened that – that night,” said Pinkie, looking away. “It was during the party when Greyhoof – I mean Cosmo – took over my mind.” The others stared at her, their mouths agape. “When I saw his illusion staring at me with those eyes and speaking in that voice... I somehow remembered everything. It's what he did to me...”

“So,” said Luna bitterly. “That was the purpose of this whole charade. Why fight us himself when he can simply manipulate us to do his bidding? It is a brilliant ploy, and exactly what King Cosmo would do.”

“Wait, what are we standing here for?” said Rarity, perking up. “Isn't Canterlot Tower just ahead? We're so close to the Elements! Surely Cosmo didn't think we'd make it past this room!”

“Do not underestimate my brother,” said Luna, making purposeful strides toward the door. “His deception runs deep. Far deeper than any of you could fathom. I would think that this illusion of his is proof enough of that. There is no telling what lies in wait for us beyond these doors.”

Her horn shimmered as she tested the doors, which started to slowly creak open. “Cosmo will not let us simply take the Elements. He knows they are the last true threat to his power. Be ready for anything.”

* * *

“My lord!” said an out-of-breath Royal Guard as he burst into the throne room at the top of Canterlot Castle's east tower.

“What is it? Speak,” said Cosmo, regarding the soldier with his blazing orange stare.

The Guard trembled before him. “We have intruders, sire!” Five ponies have broken into the castle itself and are making their way toward Canterlot Tower!”

“Yes, I know,” said Cosmo, waving a forehoof dismissively before rising to his hooves. “It is a fruitless action. Begone. I am expecting Bastion's presence shortly.”

The Royal Guard gulped, then scurried from the tower, almost crashing into Bastion Yorsets in the doorway. Bastion trotted down the stairs and bowed to the King.

“Greetings, Bastion,” said Cosmo. “Is the weapon prepared?”

“Yes, my King,” said Bastion, his expression grim.

“My lord,” said Miasma, moving between Cosmo and Bastion, “shall I dispose of Luna and her filth? As entertaining as it is to watch the traitor army crumble, I grow impatient.”

“That will not be necessary,” said Cosmo, his eyes fixed upon Bastion. “I have other plans for them. Tell me, Bastion, how fares our prisoner?”

Bastion looked away for a split second. “She has proven... resilient, sire. I was unable to extract anything from her.”

Cosmo's eyes sparked dangerously. “Do I detect hesitation, Bastion?”

Bastion blanched. “No, of course not, my King!”

“See to it that you do not falter.” His eyes flicked to the doorway. “Time grows short. Send in The Four.”

Bastion nodded solemnly. “They are waiting outside, sire.” His horn shimmered and the doors swung open.

Four cowled ponies stood in the doorway. The King grinned as they approached. Their appearance was masked by large cloaks, save for their horns and their coats. One was black, another pale green, the third blood red, and finally, one had a pristine white coat. All four had the same bright, haunted eyes.

“Who are these clowns?” said Miasma. “Why send them when I can just as easily do the job myself?”

“Patience, Miasma,” said Cosmo, a coy smile playing across his muzzle. “You would not deny your own brother, would you?”

Miasma stopped and turned her lantern-like eyes on the white stallion, who stood next to her, unmoving. “I was wondering what had become of you.” She chuckled mirthlessly. “If only you could see yourself now, 'brother'. Reduced to a mindless drone. A pity you did not receive the same blessing I did.”

“What is your will, master?” said Shining Armour, remaining still.

“We have intruders,” said Cosmo, evaluating them. “As of now, they have reached Canterlot Tower. Should they succeed in obtaining the Elements of Harmony, see to it that they do not remain in possession of them. You will bring them to me, along with Luna's head.”

The Four bowed to the King and wordlessly retreated up the stairs. The doors slammed behind them.

“Do you really think those cretins are capable of defeating Luna?” spat Miasma as she ground her hoof into the carpet. “I see little point to this.”

“You underestimate them, Miasma,” said Cosmo, strutting toward the window and looking out at the battle below. “Along with your brother, the other three were Bastion's top pupils at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. He has been forging them for this very moment. Should the Elements fall into Luna's hooves, they will not remain there for long.”

Miasma joined him at the window, and stared down at the conflict with little interest. “I will be disappointed if they succeed. I must avenge the humiliation Luna dealt me.”

“Calm yourself, Miasma, and enjoy the show,” said Cosmo as he turned to face Bastion. “And you – I do not desire to deal with your inadequacy upon this war's conclusion. Go and break the prisoner. Now.”

Bastion took a step back. “But my lord, I flayed her to within an inch of her life not too long ago! Lest I risk killing her –”

Cosmo bore down on him with flared wings and a molten stare. “Did I not make myself clear? She is to be broken immediately. Information is no longer a concern. Inflict pain and hopelessness until there is nothing but a vacant shell.”

Bastion bowed woodenly, then trotted up the stairs and out of the door slightly faster than usual.

Miasma smirked as a series of fiery explosions blossomed across the battlefield. “It will not be long.”

“Indeed,” said Cosmo, returning to her side. “It is only a matter of time before they are all slaughtered and the Elements are within my possession. It is not a question of whether Luna will die – merely a question of how.”