• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 3,129 Views, 159 Comments

Repercussions - GaryOak



None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.

  • ...
22
 159
 3,129

Chapter XVII - The Cruelty of King Gwaihir

Chapter XVII
The Cruelty of King Gwaihir
===============

Fluttershy's wings ached. She surprised herself by how far she continued to fly without reprieve. The refreshing smell of sea air had lost its luster hours ago. Her body was numb and slick with sweat and moisture from the exertion of flying through the clouds.

“Oh, Fluttershy, what are you doing?” she moaned as she involuntarily dipped a few feet.

She grimaced and willed her wings to regain her altitude. The Griffon Kingdoms were a great distance to the east, she had been taught, but she had underestimated exactly how far they were. As she flew, she recalled those long days spent cooped up in the stuffy classroom in Cloudsdale over a decade ago. How she wished she'd paid more attention to the lessons themselves, and not the birds chirping outside the window.

The Griffon Kingdoms, she was taught, were a network of mountainous islands, far off Equestria's eastern shore. These mountains not only served as cities for the griffons, but fortresses. Would-be attackers who lacked the capability of flight had no hope of assailing them, for the cities themselves were built atop the peaks, and hewn into the mountaintops. Thus, the pegasi were always warned of the dangers of venturing too far east. While they were a long flight for the average pegasus, an exceptionally swift flier could make the journey in a few hours.

Though the griffons and ponies had been at peace since the fall of their great King Thorondor many centuries ago at the hooves of Celestia and Luna, the Griffon Kingdoms were a dangerous place to travel. Many pegasi who dared make the journey never returned; the griffons were a hostile people, even many generations later.

“Just remember the scroll, just remember the scroll,” said Fluttershy, patting the roll of parchment tied to her body. “If I don't lose this, everything will be fine.”

Her teeth chattered as she flew through yet another wave of clouds. She supposed she could've flown lower, but by using the clouds as cover, she'd be able to approach Pisa, the nearest of the cities, unnoticed.

“Why can't those big, mean griffons be more friendly?”

In the recent centuries, some griffons elected to immigrate to Equestria, where they resided with varied success, but the majority remained warlike and segregated. Although she was quite possibly flying to her death, it was a risk she had to take. Even a pacifist such as herself could not ignore how invaluable the griffons' aid would be when the time came.

A sudden gust of wind swept aside the thick wall of clouds in front of her. Her jaw dropped. The enormous mountain that lay before her was adorned with tall towers of black rock, with a complex network of broad, flat bridges connecting them, and several intricately detailed carvings of griffons hewn into the mountainside. There was no mistaking it: She beheld Pisa, the westernmost city in the kingdom.

She hovered in place, clutched her chest, and screamed. The scroll was gone.

“Oh no! The breeze must've –”

She felt a pair of steely talons grab her hind legs. A second griffon flew level with her, his spear lowered and his beak inches from her muzzle. He wore a suit of light ring mail and a plumed silver helmet.

“Well, well, well...” he said. “You do know what happens to little ponies who fly too far from their coop, don't you?”

Fluttershy trembled. “I – I –”

“What is your business here?” demanded the griffon, his beak clicking menacingly with every word.

“I – um –”

“Spit it out!” squawked the griffon.

“I need to talk to King Gwaihir,” squeaked Fluttershy.

The griffon holding her legs almost involuntarily let go from surprise. “King Gwaihir?”

“What business could a lowly pegasus such as yourself have with our King?” said the other, arching an eyebrow.

Fluttershy gulped and took a shaky breath. “I've been sent by Princess Luna to parlay with the King. All of Equestria is in danger, and she needs his aid.”

Quick as a flash, the griffon in front of her swiped a talon across her left cheek, leaving a trail of blood in its wake. “If your pretty pony Princess wanted to speak to his majesty King Gwaihir, then why did she send a wimpy little pegasus like you?”

She looked her tormentor in the eye, unblinking, as tears streamed down her face. “S-she is d-dealing with the d-d-dragons!”

“Dragons?” scoffed the griffon. “What's she doing, going to all of her old foes and rubbing in how they defeated them in the wars of old?”

Fluttershy violently shook her head, her mane lashing against the griffon's face. “She needs their help, too. King Cosmo has returned and overthrown Canterlot, and now he's taking over all of Equestria, killing anypony who opposes him!”

“King who?” The griffon wrapped a taloned hand around her neck. “Never heard of him. Perhaps a few months in the dungeon will loosen your tongue.”

“No, please!” gasped Fluttershy. “I'm not lying to you, I swear!”

“Silence! I don't know why you really came here, but we'll find out soon enough!” His grip round her neck tightened as he spoke.

Fluttershy's wings snapped to her side. If it was not for her captors' strangleholds on her neck and hind legs, she'd have plummeted to her death in the ocean far below. She brought her forehooves to her face and began to sob.

“Oh, shut up!” shouted one of them, driving the butt of his spear into her stomach.

Each griffon grabbed her by one side with one hand, held onto their spears with the other, and sped toward Pisa. Fluttershy continued her sobbing as they drew nearer. Upon touching down on one of the bridges, she dared to peek between her hooves just in time to see one of her captors approaching her with coils of rope in his clutch. One wrapped around her middle, tightly binding her wings to her side, while another was tied to her neck, like a leash.

Once the griffons gave their knots a couple of tugs, they began dragging her along the bridge. Her eyes snapped shut again a couple of minutes later when the first of the jeers reached her ears. Despite being too scared to look around, she knew more and more griffons gathered around the spectacle she must have been making. What started as a few insults and catcalls turned into a din as she continued to put one hoof in front of the other. Eventually she collapsed, unable to find the will to continue.

“Get up!”

A swift kick to her side followed the command. Fluttershy yelped and sprung to her hooves. She opened her eyes and began to sob. “Please – please listen! If I could just speak with –”

“You come here, sneaking through the clouds, with the worst cover story I've ever heard!” he squawked. “You will never get to address King Gwaihir! You are probably nothing more than a spy sent by Celestia to plan the conquest of Pisa! Let your Princess come herself if she wishes to parlay with his majesty!”

“But – but I was given a note!”

“And where is that?”

Fluttershy pawed at the ground. “I – I lost it... when the clouds were blown away...”

“A likely story. You know what?” A malefic grin spread across his face as he eyed his comrade. “Today's your lucky day, kiddo. King Gwaihir happens to be here on royal business. We haven't had an intruder in as long as I can remember. This should be fun!”

The other guard ribbed him playfully. “I hope he tears her limb from limb!”

Fluttershy yelped.

“Get a move on; I wanna see the show!”

Fluttershy's head hung low as they dragged her across a network of bridges. She felt caught in a whirlpool of insults from the surrounding griffons and her captors as they dragged her along Pisa's high streets. After what felt like an eternity to her, one of the griffons kicked her and forced her head upward. Blinking back tears, she looked across the vast expanse before her.

Across a few bridges ahead stood a gaggle of griffons clad in armour identical to her captors'. They stood in neat six-by-six squares, surrounding a mighty-looking griffon. He wore silk purple garments with a fine gold trim that glinted in the sunlight. A gem-encrusted circlet rested upon his head. His feathers were significantly greyer than those of his subjects, and he had a battle-worn look about him, which was completed by his piercing gaze. He stared directly at Fluttershy.

“Is – is t-that?”

One of the guards nodded. “Yes, that's King Gwaihir. If you lie to his majesty, your execution will be swift.”

Fluttershy quailed as her captors dragged her through the air, toward Gwaihir. She shivered as they touched down in the midst of Gwaihir's entourage. Both guards went down on all fours and touched their heads to the ground. Fluttershy looked blankly at them before quickly mimicking their action.

“Tell me,” said Gwaihir, his voice sharp and tinged with a hint of a bird's screech, “why have you dared enter my kingdom, and why should your life be spared?”

Fluttershy covered her head with her hooves. “You see, y-your highness –”

“Speak up!” squawked Gwaihir.

“Equestria is in danger, and not just us ponies, but every living thing!”

He glared at her. “Of what do you speak? What could possibly threaten not only Equestria, but my kingdom as well?”

Fluttershy rose and met his glare. “His – his name is King Cosmo. He is... wicked, cruel, heartless. He – he burned down Ponyville – my hometown – just to try to kill me and my friends. Who's to say he'll stop once he's taken over Equestria?”

“Your lands are subjugated by Celestia.” Gwaihir's talons glinted in the sunlight as be brandished them. “My time is valuable. You would be wise to discontinue wasting it.”

Fluttershy gulped. “Princess Celestia... is dead – murdered by her older brother. King Cosmo won't stop until everypony is enslaved or killed! If you don't help Princess Luna and my friends stop him, he'll take over everything, not just Equestria! You have to believe me! I wouldn't think of coming here if it wasn't really really urgent!”

Gwaihir arched an eyebrow. “A fair point.” He snapped his fingers. “Scout! You are to fly to the town of Ponyville to verify her claim. If it is a charred ruin as you say, perhaps your statements holds some water. While I suspect you are trying to play me for a fool, I cannot remain blind to a potential threat to my people.”

A familiar-looking griffon emerged from the ranks and stood at Gwaihir's side.

Fluttershy's jaw dropped. “G-Gilda?”

Gilda hardly spared her a glance. “Sire, as the fastest scout in Pisa, I'll take a look. I've been there before; finding it will be easy.”

Gwaihir nodded. “Then make haste. Until your return, this pegasus shall languish in the dungeon.”

Fluttershy scrabbled backward. “No! Please!”

“Take her!” Gwaihir snapped his fingers again before turning his back on her and flying off, his entourage in his wake.

The two who had captured her forcefully steered her across another bridge, toward a cave. A buffeting of kicks brought her struggles to an end. She trotted as quickly as she could to keep the rope from tugging at her neck too hard. Before long, the cave swallowed her up.

Her timid hoofsteps echoed off the walls as they proceeded into the unknown depths of Pisa. The tunnel was barren, and the only illumination came from the gloomy lanterns hanging from the ceiling at regular intervals, giving it the feel of a mineshaft. At last they came to a halt in front of a wooden door with a sturdy metal frame.

The lead griffon fiddled with a few crude locks before it swung open, its hinges in need of a good greasing. Fluttershy froze. Large, barred metal doors lined the walls as far as she could see. Her lead captor grabbed a sizable keyring from a bolt in the wall near the door. After fumbling with it for a few moments, he unlocked a nearby cell.

“In there – now!” said the other griffon, giving her a swift, hard kick in the flank.

Once inside, they untied her, backed out, and slammed the door.

“Please – please listen,” moaned Fluttershy.

“King Gwaihir's word is law!” squawked a griffon, his face visible through the bars. “You're lucky to be alive in there instead of what I thought would happen to you!”

The griffons' laughter rang in her ears as she curled into a ball on the unyielding stone floor. She closed her eyes as the day's pain and fatigue finally caught up with her.

* * *

“Who is that unicorn?”

“Why are they doing this to us?”

“Did we anger Princess Celestia?”

“They won't get away with this!”

Thousands of confused and distressed ponies had gathered in the enormous square in front of Manehatten's city hall. Banners bearing the insignia of the comet, sun, and moon hung from the surrounding buildings and planted standards. Hundreds of armoured soldiers protected every entrance to the square, blocking them in.

A pair of bright lights emerged from the city hall's finely carved double doors. Miasma stepped out from the shadows, her baleful gaze set upon the crowd. She strode slowly and purposefully down the steps until she came to a wooden podium at the crowd's edge. The hubbub grew in volume as she approached.

“Silence!” The magically-amplified command made everypony – including the soldiers – clap their forehooves to their ears. They felt the voice sting their hearts with cold needles as it penetrated them like a wave of glacial water. “Subjects of Manehatten, I stand before you to herald the call to arms for every able-bodied mare and stallion, by decree of our lord King Cosmo, sovereign over all Equestria.”

“Our loyalties lie with Princess Celestia!” shouted a stallion, stepping forward. “Who does this 'Cosmo' think he is?”

“Celestia no longer sits upon the throne of Canterlot,” said Miasma, wrenching her latest challenger from the ground and levitating him next to her. “She has unjustly ruled over Equestria for far too long. At long last, our rightful King has reclaimed his birthright. You will answer to the King, and the King alone.”

“Long live Celestia!” shouted the stallion. He spat at her hooves.

Miasma's face hardened, and she set him down next to her. The stallion's nostrils flared as he expelled a puff of steam and pawed at the ground. Miasma's eyes narrowed and she lunged toward him, piercing his chest with her horn. She smirked as she withdrew it, and watched her victim splutter before his eyes rolled up into his head and he fell to the ground, rolling down the stone steps before coming to a stop in front of those gathered.

“His fate was no different than the traitor Celestia's,” said Miasma. “I leave you with a simple choice. Either join me in service of our King, or join your friend in death. His majesty does not tolerate disloyalty, and will not hesitate to reduce this city to ash should he deem it necessary.”

Only the occasional terrified sobs broke the silence that followed. “Good,” continued Miasma. “Our noble King may have at long last reclaimed his crown, but the treachery in the royal family runs deep; Luna has committed the most foolhardy act of opposing the will of King Cosmo. Civil war is upon us. Anypony who does not pledge loyalty to the throne of Canterlot will be considered treasonous, and dealt with appropriately.” She touched a hoof to her chest before raising it high into the air. “Long live the King!”

“Long live the King!” echoed the crowd, their collective voices trembling.

* * *

“Huh... you'd think I'd be able to see Ponyville by now,” said Gilda as she flew past Cloudsdale.

She squinted at the land far below. The setting sun had begun to cast long shadows over Equestria, but her eagle eyes had no trouble seeing the roads and fields beneath. Then she gasped. She floated as the vista before her, and all its implications, imprinted itself into her brain. It was just as Fluttershy had said. Ponyville was a blackened and charred ruin. Even from this distance, she could easily tell that no structures had survived the razing.

“No way...” She gulped. “Does – does this mean she told the truth – about everything?”

She descended as she drew closer, then skimmed over the fields of unrecognizable wreckage and scorched earth. Her eyes darted around the land. She had no idea what she was searching for, but whatever it was, it compelled her to continue. Gilda shuddered as her flight progressed toward Sweet Apple Acres. Ponyville – once so vibrant and full of life – now resembled a barren wasteland.

As she glided over the relatively untouched fields of the farm, a strange stone caught her eye. Curiosity piqued, she changed course and headed toward it. Her heart sank when she saw the stone was set atop a mound of freshly disturbed earth. When she touched down, the words carved upon it leapt out at her, illuminated by the setting sun.

Here lies Rainbow Dash. Legendary flier and the most brave, loyal friend a pony could ask for.

“No...”

Gilda sank to her knees, a deathly chill surging through her. She embraced the tombstone and wept into the earth. Tremors rocked her body as she lay quivering in the soil. Her face now muddy, she looked up at the stone's words. She balled her talons into fists and struck the ground as hard as she could.

“Why Dash... why?” In her left hand, she grasped a patch of dirt. “I... I never said I was... sorry... Why did you have to go, Dash? Why? WHY?”

She screamed and hurled the soil, her chest heaving as tears continued to flow unchecked. Half-blinded, Gilda stumbled toward a nearby pine. Leaning heavily against it, she peered around, her search impeded both by her tears and the onset of nightfall. Finally, she found it. She reached for the small flowerbed, grasped a fistful of tulips, and uprooted them.

“You never were much for flowers, were you, Dash?” Gilda half-choked, half-chuckled as she shambled back to the grave.

Kneeling down, she laid them at the tombstone's base. After taking a step back, she stared at them as a gentle nighttime breeze stirred the petals. There she stood until the last vestiges of sunlight vanished from the horizon. Taking a deep breath, she straightened up and clapped her right fist to her heart. After giving Rainbow Dash's final resting place one last, respectful nod, she took off, flying eastward with all haste and little regard for her own fatigue.

* * *

The door hinge's screech jolted Fluttershy from her slumber. Through her bleary eyes, she recognized a rather large griffon wearing light silver body armour and a matching helmet.

“You are the pegasus who had an audience with King Gwaihir yesterday, yes?” He spoke in disciplined tones punctuated by the clicking of his beak.

Rising to her hooves, she nodded.

“Good,” he said. “You are to come with me at once. Our scout has returned. It is now that King Gwaihir will determine your fate. You will not be bound for the journey, but any escape attempt shall end most unfavourably. Do I make myself clear?”

Another nod.

He spun on his heel and marched out with Fluttershy in his wake. Her eyes widened as they progressed through the dungeon, out the way she had come. Within minutes, they had reached the cave mouth. Fluttershy squinted as her eyes adjusted to the light of the outside world. It was almost noon. As she began to see clearly once more, she saw Gwaihir surrounded by about a dozen of his royal guards waiting for her. Gilda stood beside him. Once she had approached Gwaihir, Fluttershy gave him a formal griffon bow.

Gwaihir regarded her with his sharp eagle eyes. “So, it would seem that this King Cosmo exists – or his misdeeds, at the least.”

Fluttershy's mane swung up and down as she nodded. “Yes! It's what I've been saying all along! Oh, we'll be so grateful for your help when –”

“I never said anything about assisting you,” said Gwaihir. “How do I know that this is not some elabourate ruse staged by Celestia to lure me and my warriors into your kingdom?”

“Sire, if I may,” said Gilda. “I checked it out myself. Ponyville really is dust. And he – he... he murdered my best friend. I think this Cosmo guy is serious, your majesty. When I lived in Equestria, nothing like this has ever happened under Celestia's rule.”

Without sparing her a glance, Gwaihir waved a wing at Gilda. “That's quite enough.” His brow furrowed. “Am I to understand, pegasus, that you have been sent by one of the ponies who opposes him?”

“Princess Luna sent me,” said Fluttershy, puffing her chest out as she stood up. “She's Equestria's last hope. Everypony loyal to her and Princess Celestia are gathering and preparing to overthrow Cosmo.”

Gwaihir frowned and steepled his talons together. After a few minutes of silence, he cleared his throat. “I am afraid that this does not concern us. This matter seems to be between you ponies, and you ponies alone. As an act of gratitude for bringing this matter to my attention, however, I hereby grant you safe passage to return to Equestria.”

Fluttershy did not back down. “'Does not concern you?' How can you even say that? I don't think you really understand who King Cosmo is. Twilight Sparkle is one of my best friends. She's always there for anypony who needs her, and she always puts others' needs before her own. She's the most talented and kind unicorn I've ever met; she lives for her friends, like me.”

A pair of Gwaihir's guards lowered their spears and advanced on Fluttershy, but were halted by his raised hand.

She paced as she spoke. “I'm telling you all of this because, not long ago, King Cosmo entered Ponyville, disguised as a unicorn. He sought Twilight's friendship, which she was only too happy to give him. He took that friendship and turned it against her. Thanks to Cosmo, Twilight is the pony who is responsible for the death of Princess Celestia. She is the pony who burned down Ponyville. King Cosmo does not just kill his enemies. He turns them on their friends.”

Fluttershy stopped and stared into Gwaihir's eyes. “If we don't stop him, and stop him quickly, there's no telling what he will do. If what Princess Luna told me about how he used to be is true, then he will try to expand his kingdom. Cosmo is the pony who tried to kill all the zebras a long time ago, because he deemed them inferior creatures. What do you think he'd do to griffons? As soon as he's finished killing us, he will set his sights on the Griffon Kingdoms.”

Gwaihir's expression softened. “I am sorry,” he said. “I cannot help you. I have not forgotten my ancestor, King Thorondor's defeat, many generations ago. We fought a great war against you ponies, and were defeated at the hooves of Celestia and Luna. We still feel the repercussions of that war even today. I am loath to put my kingdom through another such ordeals one by rushing headlong into battle against Cosmo. If he is as powerful as you say, then it is in our best interest not to take sides.”

He shook his head. “No, to be king is to care for and protect my people. We have had peace with your kind for centuries – albeit an uneasy one. Should King Cosmo triumph in his conquest, then I wish to remain on good terms with the ruler of Equestria. If we aid Princess Luna, and she is defeated, then our lives will be forfeit as well. You must go home. A pony civil war not of our concern.”

Fluttershy's lip trembled as her eyes welled with tears. “B-b-but you – you don't understand!”

“Your highness!” said Gilda.

“Silence!” screeched Gwaihir. “Go, pegasus. Leave my kingdom and never return.”

Fluttershy frantically looked around, first at the royal guards, and then at Gilda, who shook her head when she caught her eye. Gwaihir unfurled his wings and made a flicking motion with his right hand before he took to the sky. Fluttershy stared at him blankly as his guard followed his lead. She looked at Gilda again, who closed her eyes and ambled off.

It was a long time before Fluttershy found the will to fly west.