• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 3,129 Views, 159 Comments

Repercussions - GaryOak



None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.

  • ...
22
 159
 3,129

Chapter XIII - The Gathering Storm

Chapter XIII
The Gathering Storm
===============

The bright rays of the steadily rising sun glinted off the armour of the Canterlot soldiers as they marched northward toward the castle, with Miasma at the column's head. They knew their attack had been a resounding success, with their only loss being of one their number being disciplined by her. They couldn't truly call that they'd done “success” – an entire village, full of loving and innocent ponies, razed to the ground in one night. They dared not disobey the will of their new ruler; not if Miasma was any indication of what he was capable of.

There was little doubt among the ranks that Miasma and King Cosmo would make good on the threat to slaughter their families if they so much as questioned their orders. While they had tried their best to show mercy when Miasma's back was turned, the unspoken consensus was that roughly two thirds of Ponyville's population had perished along with their village. The weight of their spears and armour was nothing next to the guilt they felt for the atrocity that they had committed. Not a single soldier glanced back at the smoldering rubble they had left behind.

As the small army passed by a pair of apple trees, Miasma turned her lantern-like eyes on them, as if they were vaguely familiar to her. Miasma gritted her teeth, and her horn and one of the trees glowed magenta for a few seconds before exploding into a shower of splinters. The soldiers didn't dare flinch at this sudden outburst.

“Halt,” commanded Miasma. The column obeyed. “I sense something nearby, in the trees.” She peered into the forest.

“My lady,” said a soldier next to her in a remarkable display of courage. “Shall we investigate?”

“No. Continue your march back to Canterlot,” said Miasma, not bothering to give him her full attention. “I will deal with this myself.”

The soldier tossed Miasma a quick salute before taking her place at the head of the column and loudly issuing the order to resume the march. The soldiers proceeded up the road as Miasma stalked toward the woods. She looked around, her eyes illuminating the the shadows amongst the trees. After a few minutes of searching, her gaze found what it sought. She laughed.

“So, you've chosen to reveal yourself already,” she said. “You're making this too easy.”

“Twilight Sparkle,” said Princess Luna, her stern gaze meeting Miasma's.

“Twilight Sparkle is dead,” spat Miasma. “She died along with Celestia. Now there is only Miasma.”

Luna flinched. “What are you?”

“I am the embodiment of the incredible power bestowed upon me by King Cosmo!” Miasma leered at her. “Power that gives me purpose. Gives me focus. Power that will allow us to forge a new kingdom from the ashes of the lie that was Celestia's rule! Power that is more than adequate to destroy you!”

Luna gritted her teeth, giving Miasma a deadly look. “I... understand now. Nightmare Moon was not wrought from my jealousy alone.”

“I'm surprised that you never realized until now,” smirked Miasma, “considering that he is your brother, after all.”

“I knew not the full extent of his power,” said Luna, more to herself than to Miasma. “He has done to you what he did to me a millennium ago. Tell me, what manner of evil did you embrace?”

Miasma spat on the ground. “What a stupid question. I aided my King in the demise of Celestia.”

“You monster!” bellowed Luna, her magically amplified voice shaking the nearby trees. “Do you realize what you've done?”

“Yes, and it's wonderful. I trust that you now realize the sheer futility of challenging me. Thanks to the King augmenting my already considerable strength, my power has become greater than you could ever imagine!”

“You forget whom you address,” said Luna, her tone now deceptively calm. As she spoke, the light was sucked out of the air itself, plunging the forest into total darkness. The only source of illumination was now Miasma's glowing eyes. The light seemed to be absorbed by Luna herself as a blue glow began to shimmer around her.

“Your abilities are useless here,” said Miasma, the dark purple aura that surrounded her mane seeping to the rest of her body, as if she drew power from the darkness itself. “What harm can the night possibly do, when I am also a creature of it?”

In an instant, Luna unfurled her wings and sped toward Miasma, who barely avoided her assault. Unable to slow herself sufficiently, Luna went straight through the tree that was behind Miasma, and felled it easily.

Miasma gave a harsh laugh. “Your techniques are old and slow. Being imprisoned on the moon for so long has made you obsolete. Allow me to show you how we do things today!”

Miasma closed her eyes, plunging the woods into complete darkness as she focused her magic, which began to relight the area with a faint magenta glow that grew steadily brighter. Luna did not mimic her opponent; she instead leaned back and tensed up, preparing for Miasma's impending strike. After a few seconds, Miasma fired a great lightning bolt and opened her eyes. To her astonishment, Luna's horn absorbed the entire attack like a lightning rod before firing the dark magic harmlessly into the sky, unable to redirect it at her opponent.

“It would appear that Cosmo has made a grievous error in sending you,” said Luna coldly, her eyes beginning to glow white with power. “Dark magic is quite ineffective against me.”

“So it appears,” said Miasma, crouching and pawing at the ground.

Luna harnessed her own magic to create a swarm of spectral bats. The bats were small, but quickly grew in number. They began teeming around Luna like a carrion swarm over a fresh carcass, their erratic flight quickening by the second. Luna lowered her head and the bats shot at Miasma – a fusillade of small missiles.

They were upon Miasma in an instant, zooming around her at blinding speeds before dive-bombing and exploding in a bright flash of white light, one by one. Luna could not see the result of her attack, but the satisfying sound of bats repeatedly striking Miasma was all she needed. When the last of the bats were gone, she squinted at where Miasma had been, expecting to find her unconscious at the least.

Luna's mouth fell open in an uncharacteristic expression of surprise as the light faded. There stood Miasma in the exact place she had been, as if her attack had done nothing. She was surrounded by a purple glow and didn't have so much as a scratch on her hide.

“Really, Luna, is that the best you can do?” mocked Miasma. “I expected more from the almighty Princess of darkness!”

A magenta glow surrounded a nearby large cedar. It broke off at the stump, the tip of the log pointed like a sharp spear. Miasma cocked an eyebrow, and then launched the tree at Luna, blindingly fast. Luna miraculously dodged it, but as it whizzed by her, it quickly turned around and sped toward her once again.

Taking off, Luna soared above the trees, the log in hot pursuit. She juked to to her left just in time, and the tree zoomed past her. Luna watched as the tree again corrected its course and headed toward her, this time moving toward the ground. Luna's eyes narrowed with concentration as she entered a steep dive, racing the tree, gravity aiding in both their descents. When Luna broke the forest's roof, she quickly identified Miasma's position, and bee-lined toward it, the tree rapidly gaining on her.

Miasma gasped and leapt to one side as quickly as she could. Fortunately for Luna, she sharply pulled up moments before colliding with the ground. The tree was not as nimble. It crashed in a shower of earth and splinters, sinking deep into the topsoil. It began to wiggle as Miasma attempted to free it, but before it could emerge, Luna shot a bolt of white lightning from her horn at it, its electricity playing over its surface for a few seconds before it exploded.

“Very clever,” seethed Miasma condescendingly.

Luna ignited her horn and lowered it, advancing on Miasma slowly and purposefully. Miasma's own horn was swathed in magenta as she prepared to meet Luna head-on. The two combatants locked horns viciously, each glaring at the other as destructive energy sparked between them. Each tried to simply overpower the other with brute strength, but neither was able to gain much of an advantage.

After a few seconds, their horns broke contact and they began taking swings at each other, causing bright flashes of magenta and white light when their horns met. Both ponies began their deadly dance, striking at each other with increasing rapidity, neither able to gain much ground on the other. They ducked and weaved through the trunks as their duel continued. One swing from Miasma came too close, singeing Luna's mane. Instead of causing any real damage, it sliced through a nearby tree as if it were a blade of grass.

Sensing an opportunity, Luna did a pirouette and violently bucked the falling tree, directing it to fall on Miasma instead. Miasma sidestepped to avoid it. Taking advantage of the momentary lapse in her focus, Luna lunged toward her headfirst. Her coup de grace was not to be, however, as Miasma raised her guard a split second before Luna's attack connected. The sheer force of the assault sent Miasma sprawling. Her hooves scrabbled against the forest floor, but she was too rattled to rise.

Miasma's jaw fell open and her ears drooped as Luna advanced on her, horn lowered to deal the final blow. Luna regarded her defeated opponent through narrowed eyes, as she considered whether or not to deal the final blow.

“Not like this,” said Luna, exhaling loudly, as the darkness surrounding the woods dissipated.

To Miasma's disbelief, Luna raised her horn, blinked, and then took off, speeding out of sight in seconds. Miasma got back on her hooves and shook herself. Still befuddled, she stalked off, heading back for the road to Canterlot, leaving a trail of smoldering trees in her wake.

“Why?” Miasma asked herself. “Why?”

* * *

Princess Cadence's grand carriage smoothly landed in the grassy courtyard of Canterlot Castle. The door swung open the moment it touched the lawn, and Cadence leapt out, her frantic gaze taking in a quite ordinary sight. The castle before her stood gleaming in the warm sunlight, just as it always had. Two soldiers stood guard by the door where they had arrived, and a half-dozen more marched through the open door to greet them.

“This makes no sense,” said Shining Armour, climbing out of the carriage behind his wife. “Apart from that damaged tower we saw flying in, everything seems completely normal.”

Cadence looked at him for a moment before turning her attention back to the approaching guards. “There has to be something else going on – something we've missed.”

“Princess Cadence!” hailed one of the soldiers as they drew nearer. “What an unexpected pleasure. Princess Celestia will no doubt be delighted to see you again.”

Cadence's eyes widened. “Celestia is alright?”

The soldier laughed, the others joining him. “Of course she is!”

“I'm not sure if you noticed,” said Shining Armour, his voice laden with skepticism, “but one of the castle's towers was nearly destroyed by a massive explosion. Cadence and I saw it all the way from the north end of Equestria!”

“Oh, that,” said the soldier dismissively. “We were told that it was just an exam from Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns that went a little awry. That's all.”

“'A little awry'?” said Cadence, arching an eyebrow at him.

“I have a hard time buying that,” said Shining Armour. “It's true that Twilight Sparkle caused quite a bit of damage when she discovered her power, but she's one of the most powerful unicorns in Equestria.”

The soldier took a defensive step back. “You can ask the Princess yourself if you don't believe us.”

“Uh huh.” Shining Armour narrowed his eyes, the guard quailing before his stare.

“Take us to Celestia,” said Cadence.

“Dear, we still have no clue what caused that explosion. What if –”

Cadence held up a hoof to Shining Armour's muzzle. “No, we can't turn back now. Even if what they say isn't true, we aren't exactly powerless.”

Shining Armour gave Cadence a peck on the lips before hugging her tightly. “You're right. Whatever might be waiting for us, we can stop it. Together.”

“Together,” echoed Cadence, falling into step with him as they entered the castle.

At first glance, the castle was just as they remembered it. The carpets, banners, tiles, and rooms were in the right places and as pristine as usual. As they progressed, an ominous feeling began to set in. The once-inviting statues seemed to glare down at them, their stony expressions now unwelcoming. With the exception of the patrolling guards, the castle was deserted.

“It's too quiet,” Shining Armour whispered a few minutes later. “I've seen quiet days in the castle, but never this quiet.” He paused as yet another squad of guards marched by. “And there are definitely more guards around than usual. I think Phalanx may be taking his new duty too seriously.”

Cadence gave him a worried look as they drew closer to their destination. When the pair reached the throne room's large double doors, the two guards at either side gave them a brief scrutinizing glance. A moment later, the guards' horns shimmered and the doors soundlessly glided open, revealing the room beyond. It was deserted.

Cadence turned to one of the guards. “Where is Princess Celestia?”

“The Princess is having a late breakfast, but should return shortly,” he replied.

“We'll wait for her, then,” said Cadence as she entered the throne room with Shining Armour in tow.

When they had gone a mere few paces inside, the doors slammed shut behind them. The boom echoed throughout the vast, desolate chamber. Shining Armour began to check the room for danger, but found it had not changed since he had left Canterlot months ago.

“This makes no sense,” he muttered.

“How very observant.” The mocking voice seemed to come from nowhere in particular, yet it sounded as if the speaker was right in front of them.

“Who was that?” asked Cadence, her voice shaken.

The room's light began fade, as if some invisible force about ten feet in front of them was absorbed it. In seconds, the throne room became pitch black. Disembodied laughter accompanied the sudden darkness – laughter that made Cadence and Shining Armour shiver. Once the laughter stopped, the point that had absorbed the light briefly flickered before exploding in a blinding flash, releasing the light back into the room.

They cried out shielded their eyes against the blast. When their vision cleared, they saw a stallion standing where the explosion had been, his fiery orange eyes fixated on Cadence.

“Who are you?” demanded Cadence.

“Come now, Cadence, don't you recognize me?” said King Cosmo sarcastically, his features twisted by a fiendish grin. “That is no way to speak to family!”

* * *

Zecora and the four ponies gawked at the bedraggled Scootaloo. Her mane and coat were ridden with loose foliage, suggesting she had galloped headlong through the forest with little regard for what was in front of her. She sniffed and wiped her muzzle, paying little attention to the streak of blood that wound up on her hoof.

“Oh, you poor dear!” Rarity rushed to Scootaloo and began roughly brushing the twigs out of her mane, as if she was dusting a dirty rug.

“Rarity, give the poor filly some time to breathe, will ya!” said Applejack, stepping between the two and helping Scootaloo back to her hooves.

“Did – did you come from –” sobbed Pinkie, throwing herself at Fluttershy, and once again bawling into her shoulder.

Scootaloo nodded.

“What did ya see?” asked Applejack, her voice laden with a sort of dull ache. “Was it some big, grey, scary alicorn?”

Scootaloo looked at Applejack, nonplussed. “No.”

“No?” repeated Fluttershy, continuing to comfort Pinkie. “Was Princess Luna wrong?”

Scootaloo sat down – Rarity whisked a cushion under her before her rump hit the floor – and her eyes glazed over. She spoke with a shudder. “It wasn't... whatever it is you were saying; it was a bunch of soldiers –”

“Soldiers? What soldiers?” cut in Applejack. “There ain't no soldiers 'round these parts except...”

“Royal Guards, from Canterlot,” resumed Scootaloo, sounding slightly annoyed by the interruption. “Somepony – not a soldier – I'd never seen before was leading them... she looked sorta familiar, but at the same time... She shot at me...”

Fluttershy put a free hoof to her muzzle. “Soldiers did this – that means...”

“What kind of dark and twisted will caused them to burn down Ponyville?” mused Zecora.

“What did this pony look like?” said Applejack earnestly. “If it wasn't who Luna thought it was, I wonder who...”

Scootaloo's face scrunched as she tried to remember. “I didn't get too good of a look at her – which was good because she was really scary – but she had a dark purple coat and this weird mane.” She paused. “It was also dark and kinda wavy. A little like the Princess's, but not exactly. I didn't get a good look at her cutie mark, but I think I saw some kinda purple star. Oh – and her eyes – her eyes were white and glowy. Even her own soldiers were scared of her!”

A chilled silence filled the air in the wake of Scootaloo's words. Everypony stood frozen in place. If King Cosmo had indeed returned as Luna had said, but he wasn't in Ponyville, then who was commanding the soldiers? The faint glimmers of first light piercing through the windows did not brighten their mood. Ponyville was gone – destroyed by King Cosmo's order – and they had no clue who led the attack.

“Did you catch her name?” asked Applejack. “Not that it'll help us, but we should at least know who we're dealin' with.”

“It was –”

“Miasma,” said Princess Luna, seemingly materializing out of nowhere. She had entered the hut a few seconds ago, but everypony was too absorbed by Scootaloo's tale to notice her arrival.

“How do you know?” said Pinkie, at last emerging from Fluttershy's embrace and sitting up.

Luna unfurled her wings and walked to the centre of the hut, the others forming a circle around her. “Please, regardless of what you may hear, remain silent to make this as orderly as possible.” She shuddered before clearing her throat and turning her mournful gaze to each pony in turn. “My fears have been realized. King Cosmo has indeed returned, but tonight I have gleaned another piece of knowledge. Miasma, the pony who led the attack, was a close friend of us all, once.”

“But that's impossible!” interjected Rarity. “Nopony here would befriend something so horrible, so foul so – so evil!”

A stern, piercing glare from Luna silenced any further interruption. “She is a creature not unlike Nightmare Moon,” – Luna continued as if Rarity had said nothing – “a good pony who allowed evil to creep into her heart. That evil was twisted and amplified by my brother, creating the abomination that razed Ponyville. The pony was...” Her voice trailed as words nearly failed her. “She was... Twilight Sparkle.”

Rarity screamed. Zecora's jaw fell open, making her drop a mug of herbal tea she had been in the process of delivering to Pinkie, its contents splattering in a hot mess all over the floor. Pinkie fell deathly quiet. Scootaloo's eyes watered as she stared blankly at Luna. Fluttershy quivered, unable to utter a peep. Applejack took off her hat with one hoof and leaned against the wall with another. The room suddenly felt very cold. Minute after minute passed before anypony could find words.

“Why?” said Fluttershy at last.

“Twi... what's happened to ya?” said Applejack, holding her hat to her chest. “And will somepony please help her up?” she quickly added, looking at Rarity, who had fainted.

Twilight did this?” cried Scootaloo while Zecora knelt beside Rarity and shook her back to wakefulness. “But... how? Why?” Her questions quickly devolved into tearful babbling as she crumpled to the floor at Luna's hooves.

Luna bowed her head, and a few teardrops fell to the floor beneath her muzzle. “Only now do I begin to fully realize the extent of Cosmo's power.” An eerie silence followed her words. “I can only imagine what my sister must have gone through a millennium ago. Both Nightmare Moon and Miasma share one thing in common: they are dark, twisted creatures created by my brother.”

“But – but that's impossible!” stammered Applejack.

Eyes still glistening with tears, Luna looked at her. “Is it? Both of them were born from the evil dwelling in our hearts. In – in my case, it was my greed, jealousy, and envy. King Cosmo warped that evil, focused it, and amplified its power, allowing it to consume me completely and transform me into the abomination that was Nightmare Moon.”

In the meantime, Rarity had recovered from her fainting spell. “Now hold on just a minute,” she interjected. “Are you suggesting that Twilight, our Twilight, was evil enough to be afflicted by the same magic you were? No offense,” she quickly added.

Luna shook her head. “Tell me, how did Twilight act in the few days prior to the King's return? Surely Cosmo's influence had begun to take hold of her by that point.”

Applejack scratched her head. “Well... now that ya put it that way... She was actin' kinda... unstable.”

“Oh, yes!” chimed in Fluttershy. “She really wasn't herself, and even believed that Princess Celestia was behind everything. Greyho– I mean Cosmo, convinced everypony that it was her fault!”

“Including what he did to me!” wailed Pinkie, finding her voice again.

“It all makes sense now,” breathed Luna. “That's why Twilight did it...”

“Did what?” said Fluttershy.

“Attacked my sister.”

“What?” cried everypony in tandem.

“The evil in Twilight's heart of which I spoke,” said Luna, “was created when she struck Princess Celestia while her back was turned. This act allowed Cosmo to – to kill her. Yes, when we defeated Cosmo so long ago, the Elements of Harmony may have permanently drained some of his power. Perhaps that's why he needed Twilight.”

“So... yer sayin' that Twi's the second comin' of Nightmare Moon?” asked Applejack, her voice hollow.

Luna gave a solemn nod. “Do not forget that this also means the Elements of Harmony are capable of cleansing this monstrosity and saving Twilight. That is why I spared her life tonight upon besting her in mortal combat.”

“But how can we possibly use them?” said Rarity, her tone one of hopelessness. “Without Rainbow Dash and Twilight...”

“Therein lies the terrible brilliance of the King's scheme,” said Luna. “Not only did he gain Twilight's trust, but he ensured that the Elements could never be used against him when he –”

“DASHIE!” howled Pinkie. “I'm sorry! I couldn't stop myself! I didn't know!”

Luna waited with exaggerated patience. Fluttershy, Rarity, and Applejack comforted Pinkie until her wailing had subsided. Once Pinkie had calmed, she continued. “The Elements work in strange and unpredictable ways. They are the sacred force beyond even the alicorns that safeguard Equestria from evil. Cosmo himself once wielded them, alongside my sister and I. When he allowed himself to become consumed by his own power and insane ideals, threatening to kill the both of us, the Elements turned on him and leant us their power, allowing us to vanquish him.”

“Princess Luna?” sniffed Pinkie.

“What is it, young one?”

“Why didn't Cosmo just do to everypony what he did to me? Why didn't he use all of us to attack Princess Celestia?”

Luna shook her head. “His powers are mysterious, but I may have a theory. The magic he employed against you was dispelled, was it not? Perhaps the will of the pony who he's controlling is a factor against the effectiveness of it, as well as magical strength. If you were freed from his control by magic, then I have no doubt that my sister would turn aside such a tactic with ease.”

She pawed at the ground, and her ears flattened. “The dark influence he once had over me – and now Twilight Sparkle – is much more potent, unbreakable by simple unicorn magic. Her body is now merely a vessel containing the creature wrought from the soul-wrenching deed of murdering my sister, and my brother's magic. If I am any indication, however, Twilight's true self remains trapped within. While Twilight lives, she is yet incapable of betraying the King.”

“This King Cosmo reminds me of an old zebra tale,” said Zecora, “a legend not for the heart that's frail.”

“What ever do you mean?” asked Rarity.

“It is the tale of the Scourge, a myth where the paths of evil merge,” continued Zecora. “A great and terrible tyrant of the lands eons ago, felt that us zebras were beneath him and that we must go. Tribes, villages, herds, none of them were spared, and he slew all who opposed him, all those who dared. Until one day we took to the ocean, to find lands free of the evil that he set in motion. But the Scourge would not let us leave; using his power, our ships he sought to cleave. Our salvation came from of those of sun and moon, destroying the Scourge, and sparing us from certain doom.”

“The story of which you speak,” said Luna, “was the fall of King Cosmo. It was when he began his crusade to... 'purge' the zebras from Equestria that Princess Celestia and I knew that he had gone too far. We combined our strength, and with the help of the Elements of Harmony, we destroyed him, or so we thought.”

“What are we going to do?” said Rarity, her voice panicked. “Without Princess Celestia or Twilight –”

“Know this,” said Luna, her voice booming now, “there will be no escape, for any of us. King Cosmo will not rest until everypony in this room lies dead, and the Elements are in his hooves. He will hunt us down, one by one, and stop at nothing to see that nopony can threaten his rule ever again. As the wielders of the Elements, you are the only ponies besides myself that he considers a threat. I fear while I may be capable of rivaling his power, I lack the strength to confront him directly.”

Applejack let her hat drop to the floor. “Ya don't mean –”

“Yes, Applejack,” said Luna, “this means one thing. A storm is coming. We can either prepare for it or be swept away. We must remain hidden and gather all the allies and friends we can find in this dark hour. We must prepare for war.”

* * *

“W-what did you say?” stammered Cadence.

Shining Armour took an involuntary step back. “You're an alicorn – but that's impossible!”

“How very observant,” said King Cosmo, sneering with malicious contempt. “It should also be apparent, then, that you are in the presence of greatness.”

“Who did you say you were?” asked Cadence, her tone guarded.

“I am the sovereign ruler of Equestria, born into this world with the sole purpose of sitting atop the throne. I am the eldest and most powerful of the royal family.” The fire in Cosmo's eyes intensified as he spoke. “I am what was, is, and will be. I am King Cosmo!”

Cadence looked as if she had been kicked in the gut, and her eyes swam out of focus. “Celestia... has... a brother?”

“What have you done with Princess Celestia?” demanded Shining Armour through gritted teeth.

Cosmo tossed his head back, and his laugh filled the cavernous throne room. “Celestia has met the fate she has deserved for so long – a fate that you will share, Cadence.”

Tears began rolling down Cadence's cheeks as she fell to her knees. “Why? How?”

Cosmo began strutting circles around his prey, glaring down at them. Shining Armour followed his every move. “It was just as I suspected: my late sister never told you of my existence,” Cosmo drawled at them. “Did you ever wonder why Celestia always wore the title of Princess, despite supposedly being in the highest position of authority? When she and Luna usurped my crown, they never changed their titles. No, they merely wiped nearly every trace of me from history, as if I never lived at all! I suppose that if you knew who I was, you'd have done the same thing as Luna, and cower in the darkness, like a scared foal!”

Shining Armour, unshaken, met King Cosmo's eyes. “Well, my 'King', you're made a big mistake. We've saved Equestria once, and we'll do it again!”

Continuing his circular pacing, Cosmo flicked his muzzle skyward. “You no doubt refer to your victory against the changelings. Pathetic. They were nothing more than parasites, forced to feed off the love of others. Love and kindness are for the weak! You will find that your powers are far less effective against a pure, perfect being such as myself.”

Cadence rose to her hooves and glared at Cosmo. She had stopped crying. “You're wrong.”

Cosmo's sneer transformed into scowl in an instant. “How dare you speak to me that way, you cretin?”

“Haven't you heard the expression 'love conquers all'?” challenged Cadence, throwing a hoof around Shining Armour's shoulder.

“Your precious love did little to spare Celestia from my revenge.” Cosmo licked his lips. “In fact, her defeat was most ironic...”

“What do you mean?” said Shining Armour.

“You will know in time. Suffice it to say, even the greatest of friendships can be broken and turned upon themselves.” Cosmo's eyes sparked as the tip of his horn crackled with energy.

“I've heard enough!” roared Shining Armour, lowering his horn and charging at Cosmo.

“Oh, please,” said Cosmo, nimbly sidestepping Shining Armour's attack. The power crackling on his horn sparked and fired toward Cadence, who just managed to deflect it with her own horn, redirecting the rogue energy into a stained glass window, shattering it and sending shrapnel everywhere.

Shining Armour, his horn bathed in magenta, rounded on Cosmo and swung at him. Lowering himself almost to the floor, Cosmo brought his hind legs up, the hoofguards striking Shining Armour's muzzle with a loud crack. Shining Armour abruptly stopped his assault, and clutched his face in pain, a stream of blood leaking between his hooves.

Cadence, enraged by the injury to her husband, fired an intense beam of ice blue at Cosmo. Laughing, Cosmo met her attack with his own multicoloured stream of energy, the two forces colliding in midair. It didn't take long for Cosmo's power to rapidly drive back her beam.

When it was inches from connecting with Cadence, Cosmo grinned with triumph. “All too easy.” The words had scarcely left his mouth when he felt a pair of hooves strike him in the side, breaking his attack and sending him flying toward the wall. A few beats of his wings barely prevented him from crashing. “You will pay for that.”

“Are you alright?” said Shining Armour, looking at Cadence.

Gasping for breath, she nodded.

Gritting his teeth, Cosmo flew into the air, almost to the room's high ceiling. Upon reaching it, his horn began absorbing the light near the ceiling, casting it into darkness. Then, light began emitting from it, dotting the air with specks of energy until the ceiling resembled a clear midnight sky.

Cosmo returned his attention to Cadence and Shining Armour, both of whom planted their legs firmly on the ground, and watched him guardedly. “Run,” he said, as one of the specks hurtled toward them, streaking downward like a small comet.

They each leapt to one side, barely avoiding the attack, which struck the floor with a small explosion, leaving a crater behind. Cosmo's laughter filled the air as first one, then a few, and then several of the specks sped at the fleeing ponies, in a meteor shower.

Bolts began rapidly striking the floor, sending fragments of tile and bits of dust in all directions. “What's the matter, Cadence?” Cosmo shouted over the din. “Afraid to fly up here and face me yourself, or is your love for Shining Armour keeping you earthbound? Love truly is for the weak!”

The assault continued until every orb had been used, once again casting the ceiling into darkness, except where it was lit by Cosmo's star-like glow. The ground was covered in the dust and debris. When the smoke finally dissipated, Cosmo was displeased to find both Shining Armour and Cadence unharmed, short of a few scorch marks from where bolts had grazed them.

Energy began to swirl around Cosmo like a tornado, with him the eye of the storm. As the maelstrom raged, the surrounding darkness shattered, giving way to the wild magic. Bolts of lightning began spewing forth, lashing out in all directions. Shining Armour and Cadence both scattered once again as the attacks began to hone in on them, striking the floor where they stood a split second earlier.

Their luck didn't last; a bolt at last struck Cadence directly, eliciting a cry of pain. She writhed on the floor as she was hit again and again, electricity playing across her whole body. Each time she tried to stand up and muster a defense, she was beaten back down by a deadly surge of magic.

“Cadence!” cried Shining Armour, weaving his way through a maze of incoming fire, rushing to her side.

Shining Armour's horn began to glow as he drew closer to his fallen wife, the energy surrounding it expanded until it formed a dome around them. Under the forcefield, Cadence struggled back to her hooves as the bolts of lightning ricocheted off it.

Taking a deep breath, Cadence unfurled her wings before soaring into the air, narrowly evading King Cosmo's relentless assault. She juked and weaved, dodging bolt after bolt, steadily drawing closer to Cosmo and his maelstrom, even managing to turn a few of the bolts away with her horn. Screwing up her face with concentration, Cadence fired a jet of magic directly at Cosmo, puncturing a hole in the swirling energy.

Cadence hurtled through the opening she had created, stretching her forehooves before her. Cosmo had barely enough time to widen his eyes in surprise before her hooves struck him squarely in the chest, knocking the wind out of him and breaking his concentration. The torrent of magic surrounding them dissipated, and brought an end to his attack.

Cosmo touched down with as much dignity as he could muster, breathing slightly heavier than usual. He glared up at Cadence, who hovered where she had struck him. His gaze turned to Shining Armour, who lowered his shield and began advancing on Cosmo, his horn still aglow with magic.

“Do not rejoice,” said Cosmo, “you have not begun to see my full power. I am impressed, Shining Armour, that you were able to repel my attack. A shame that it will make no difference in the end.”

“My flank has a shield on it for a reason!” said Shining Armour. “I protect the ones I love!”

“Oh, how touching,” said Cosmo sarcastically, watching Cadence glide to the ground. “Your weak, tender heart will be the instrument of your undoing. But first, one of my last surviving relatives lives and breathes in this very room.” His eyes sparked as he regarded Cadence with contempt. “A mistake that must be corrected. Now.”

Cosmo's body dissolved into a cloud of mist and sped past Shining Armour, toward Cadence. He rematerialized directly in front of her and struck her on the muzzle, sending her skidding across the floor. “Tell me,” he said, “are you impressed by my perfection?” His horn crackled momentarily before he unleashed a swathe of multicoloured electricity at Cadence.

Shining Armour lunged forward in an incredible burst of speed, placing himself directly in the line of fire. He sank to the floor as the shot meant for Cadence paralyzed him. Taking a moment to recover from the shock, Cadence flew over Shining Armour and loosed a blast from her horn, breaking Cosmo's attack.

“It is as I said, Shining Armour,” said Cosmo, “your selflessness will be your undoing.”

“And your selfishness is yours,” quipped Shining Armour.

Cosmo's horn shimmered once again and a morning star made of pure magical energy appeared beside him. The mace swung at Cadence, but it was immediately met with a magenta forcefield from Shining Armour. It created a network of cracks to spiderweb from the point of collision. He swung the mace again, this time shattering the barrier, forcing Shining Armour to roll to the side, leaving a considerable dent in the floor where he stood moments before. While the shield didn't prove effective stopping King Cosmo's latest attack, it served its purpose; Cadence had managed to fashion a magical ice blue blade of her own – an elegant rapier.

“You actually think that your weapon can match mine?” Cosmo mocked, his blazing eyes briefly flicking to Shining Armour, who was staring at the ground, gasping for air, spent from his exertions. “Very well. Let us match the power of Cosmo, King of all Equestria – and everypony within it – with that of Cadence, the Princess of love.”

Cosmo punctuated his taunts with another swing of his weapon. Cadence's sword intercepted it, sending a shower of sparks in all directions. The morning star swung again and again in a series of thundering strikes, which the rapier barely parried, each swing coming closer to finding its intended target.

Shining Armour summoned all the strength he had, igniting his horn and creeping toward Cosmo. He had scarcely taken a few steps before Cosmo's eyes fixed upon him and the mace swung in his direction. Cadence thrust her rapier to deflect the blow, but Cosmo's swift, head-on attack proved too much; while the morning star narrowly missed Shining Armour, Cadence's rapier snapped like a branch in a gale, and disintegrated.

“I'm sorry, Shining Armour... he's too strong!” said Cadence, sinking to her knees.

“Hold still,” said Cosmo, readying his morning star for another swing, “this will only take a moment.”

Shining Armour galloped toward Cadence. “No,” he said, touching the tip of his horn with hers, “not now. Not like this!”

A blinding flash of magenta and blue light from their horns filled the room before unleashing a corkscrew of magic in the morning star's path. It connected, stopping the weapon. The combined attack seeped into the mace itself, diluting its colours with its own magenta and ice blue. Cosmo's eyes widened in surprise as he stared at his weapon frozen in midair. The pulsing quickened with every second until the morning star exploded, sending shards of loose magic in all directions, one of them singeing Cosmo's left ear.

Cosmo stared at his foes, who now glowed bright white and floated a few feet in the air, their horns still connected. “Impossible!”

“No,” they said in unison. “You have underestimated the power of love, Cosmo! Now we will show you the strength it can give!”

Two pairs of eyes glowed with the same light that enveloped their bodies before an intense wave of magenta energy rippled out from them in all directions, catching Cosmo and pinning him hard against the wall. He gritted his teeth and tried to muster the strength to break free, but the opposing magic's force increased to such levels that he began leaving an impression in the stone wall. When the attack at last subsided, Cosmo fell face-first onto the floor.

Cadence and Shining Armour's eyes no longer glowed, but their horns still sparked with magic. They advanced on Cosmo with narrowed eyes. Shining Armour allowed himself a grim smile. “For somepony as old as you,” he said, “you should've heard of the phrase 'love conquers all'.”

Two beams of magic fired at Cosmo simultaneously, intertwining with each other on the way to their target. From the ground, Cosmo returned fire, but the joint assault quickly overpowered his attack. In moments, he was engulfed by their magic, crying out in pain as it disintegrated the floor around him. Suddenly, a flash of dark purple scythed through the attack, stopping it completely.

In the doorway stood Miasma, her luminous eyes fixated on her brother.

Shining Armour stared blankly at her. “Who are you?”

“Come now, brother, don't you recognize me?”

“T-Twily?” stammered Shining Armour. “How? What's happened to you?”

“I have finally become the pony I was meant to be,” said Miasma. “I allowed my mind to be poisoned by the teachings of Celestia, who unjustly clung to the throne of Canterlot. I now see the light and serve Equestria's true ruler, King Cosmo.”

“Twily, listen to yourself!” cried Shining Armour, failing to notice Cosmo standing back up and dusting himself off. “Celestia was like a second mother to you! She took you under her wing and personally taught you everything she could, not just about magic, but about life, about friends! She made me Captain of the Royal Guard, fulfilling the dream I had since I was a colt! Both of us know that she was the kindest, wisest pony in Equestria, and now you're serving her murderer and dishonouring her name! Do you even know what he did to her?”

Miasma grinned at Shining Armour wickedly. “Of course I do. I helped.”

“You – you what?” Shining Armour's voice was not furious, but hollow.

“It was all part of his grand design,” scoffed Miasma, moving to her King's side and glaring at Cadence, “much like this meeting of ours. You will not leave here alive, Cadence.”

“He's gotten back up!” shouted Cadence, pointing at Cosmo. “We have to strike again, with everything we've got! We have to finish him now!”

“We can't!” said Shining Armour.

“What do you mean, we can't?”

Shining Armour bristled. “Cadence, that's my sister! If we hit Cosmo with enough power to defeat him... Twily will die as well. I won't sink to his level. I won't murder my own sibling! There's gotta be another way!”

“No!” shouted Cadence, connecting her horn with his once again.

As before, both ponies enveloped themselves in white light and hovered above the ground before unleashing their joint attack. This time, however, the light emanating from them, and the magenta wave were significantly less bright. The attack merely pushed Cosmo and Miasma back a few inches before they ignited their horns and sliced through it as if it were paper.

“What's the matter, brother? Got cold hooves?” quipped Miasma.

Cadence's eyes widened. “What happened? Why the attack didn't work?”

“I – I can't,” said Shining Armour, averting his eyes from both Cadence and Cosmo. “I'm sorry. I just can't. You're asking that I kill my sister. I just couldn't live with myself if I went through with it.”

“Don't you think I realize that?” cried Cadence, not bothering to wipe away her tears. “I loved Twilight just as much as you. She saved our wedding, and my life! I've known her since she was just a foal, but this is the only way. Don't you see that? They've already killed Celestia. If we don't stop them now, all of Equestria will be in danger!”

Shining Armour held his head high, staring at Miasma determinedly. “We will find another way.”

“How touching,” said Cosmo, his voice tinged with amusement, “squabbling like a married couple. Your vaunted love is tearing you asunder. To become truly strong, you must shed that weakness, like Miasma and myself. Now I shall teach you your final lesson! As you die, you at last realize your folly. You will renounce your love and beg me for your life before the end, and I will deny you.”

Shining Armour swore and loosed a burst of magic aimed between Cosmo's eyes. Laughing, Cosmo deflected the attack with a flick of his horn.

Cosmo grinned mockingly. “Come now, Shining Armour, did you really think that would work? You may have an affinity for magic, but your power is nothing compared to mine. Nothing!”

Cosmo returned fire, the surge of his magic leaving a scorched path in the floor as it sped toward Cadence and Shining Armour. They narrowly dodged the attack, hurling themselves at the floor. Miasma, anticipating this maneuver, fired a jet of magic, catching Shining Armour squarely in the stomach.

“My King, please grant me the pleasure of destroying him,” said Miasma, staring intently at her fallen brother.

“Very well,” said Cosmo, “but do not kill him. I have plans for this one.”

Before Cadence could rush to Shining Armour's side, she saw Cosmo charging toward her, his horn ignited. She flung herself out of the way, but too late; Cosmo's horn grazed her muzzle below her left eye, leaving a wicked slash that began leaking blood.

Cadence cried out and ignited her own horn, as Cosmo rounded on her for another attack. This time, she was ready, parrying and going for a riposte, but Cosmo flapped his wings and flew ten feet in the air before dive-bombing Cadence, horn-first. Cadence took off to avoid the attack, and in seconds, both combatants were locked in lightning-quick aerial combat, sparks flying from the points where their horns met as they slashed at each other.

“You're better than I gave you credit for,” sneered Cosmo, ducking a swipe from Cadence. “However, you are still no match for a true alicorn!”

The two exchanged a flurry of blows, taking their combat to many sections of the vast throne room, but Cadence's strength waned whilst her enemy's remained constant. Cosmo's attacks grew more and more rapid, each coming closer to dealing a deadly blow. Cadence could not match his speed or his agility, and Cosmo's centuries of experience proved their worth against his far younger opponent.

Cosmo brought a hoof to Cadence's stomach. He followed it up by forcing her horn out of position with his own and viciously swiping at her side. Cadence's scream of agony and terror echoed throughout the throne room as she dropped like a stone, smashing into the ground a score of feet below. Her right wing had been severed clean off, and the pink limb drifted downward uselessly.

Cadence, her vision blurred by tears, stared at Cosmo, who now stood over her, wearing a triumphant smile. She curled in a fetal position, and waited for the end, quivering. It didn't come.

“You will die in time,” said Cosmo, answering her unasked question. “First, you must witness the fall of Shining Armour before he becomes my servant. I will enjoy watching Miasma break him.”

Miasma kicked her fallen brother in the face, electing a yelp of pain from him. “Get up, coward. Get up and face me.”

Shining Armour clutched his muzzle where he'd been kicked. “No, Twily, I won't. You're my sister. You'll remember who I am... you'll remember your friends – what Celestia taught you! You'll remember who you are! I – I know it.”

“Shut up. I've heard enough of your sentimental drivel!” spat Miasma, a surge of lightning from her horn making Shining Armour convulse at her hooves. “King Cosmo has showed me perfection, in both body and mind. Celestia was weak. Cadence was weak. You are weak. Now, I will rid you of that weakness, as my King has so graciously done for me. Shining Armour will die, and King Cosmo's creation shall take his place!”

“Twilight!” Cadence tried to get back up, but a hard kick from Cosmo put an end to her efforts. “Stop this madness,” she continued, coughing up blood. “Cosmo has poisoned your mind! He's your brother! Your bro–”

“Silence, you broken fool!” boomed Cosmo, bringing his horn down to her neck and singeing it with a small touch of magic. “Sit back and enjoy these moments, for they will be your last.”

Shining Armour writhed helplessly for nearly a full minute before Miasma stopped her attack. Sections of his pristine white coat were now blackened where the lightning had lingered. “Get up,” said Miasma, kicking him again. “Get up and face me.”

“N-no,” said Shining Armour weakly. “You don't learn, do you, Twily?”

Miasma's huge, lantern-like eyes narrowed. “Stop calling me that. Twilight Sparkle is dead. I am Miasma!”

She resumed her attack, this time with greater intensity. Shining Armour's cries were mingled with Cadence's strangled sobs and pleas for mercy, but Miasma paid them no attention. Gradually, the lightning began to lift him off the ground. He twitched in midair like a demented marionette. He had stopped screaming, having entered a level of pain beyond one of mere cries of agony. His eyes rolled around madly.

“TWILIGHT!” Cadence's shrill yell echoed off the walls as she tried and failed to summon enough magic to save her husband.

Cosmo lowered his head so that his muzzle was an inch away from Cadence's ear. “It is over,” he whispered. Raising his head, he addressed his servant. “Enough! Miasma, release him; I do not want any permanent damage.”

Casually tossing Shining Armour into the ceiling, Miasma let go of her magic, allowing him to fall to the ground with a loud thud. “As you command.” She bowed her head and stood at her barely conscious brother's side.

Cosmo strode purposefully toward Shining Armour, the flames in his eyes dancing with glee. “Can you hear me, Shining Armour?”

“To Tartarus with you,” said Shining Armour in a barely audible gasp, a great deal of blood spraying from his mouth following each word.

“Good,” said Cosmo, lowering his horn until it connected with his. Sparks coursed all over Shining Armour the moment the two horns made contact, his body awash with the colours of Cosmo's magic. “Your will is no longer your own!” his voice had suddenly become deep and raspy. Even Miasma flinched slightly when she heard it.

Shining Armour closed his eyes as he curled up into a ball, as if making himself a less presentable target would thwart Cosmo's magic. “Your will is no longer your own,” repeated Cosmo in the same voice. “Every memory of everything you have ever known, and have ever loved, is no more. Your sole purpose in your miserable life is to serve me!”

Cosmo raised his horn, his gaze fixated upon Shining Armour, who lay motionless on the ground. It was hard to tell whether he continued to breathe. Long seconds stretched into minutes as Cadence looked on in horror, words failing her. Finally, Shining Armour's eyes shot open. They had lost their soft cerulean colour and instead had a haunted, pale yellow glow. It was impossible to see his pupils.

Shining Armour slowly clambered to his hooves, his pain forgotten. Once he had risen to his full height, he bowed low before King Cosmo. “What is your will, my King?” The voice was Shining Armour's, yet the warmth and eagerness it had once possessed were gone, replaced by an almost mournful, hollow monotone.

“H-how? How is this happening?” sobbed Cadence, clutching her chest.

“All of Equestria is a stage,” said Cosmo, strutting toward her, Miasma and Shining Armour flanking him, “and everypony is merely a player upon it. They all have their parts, their entrances, their exits. But nopony knows that it is I who writes the script. Everything that has transpired, every step taken, whether for or against me, is one step closer to fulfilling my great purpose for it.”

Coming to a stop over Cadence, Cosmo glared down at her and unfurled his wings. “When I am finished, Equestria will become a perfect utopia under my eternal leadership. Do not worry, Cadence. You will see Celestia soon. Now it is time for one final demonstration.” A ring of magic snaked out from Cosmo's horn, wrapping itself around Cadence's neck and forcibly lifting her into the air. Cosmo nodded at Shining Armour, whose narrowed eyes locked on her.

“My love... what are you doing?” choked Cadence, her voice shaking with terror as Shining Armour approached her, magenta sparks flying from the tip of his horn.

Shining Armour paused for a moment when his head was mere inches from Cadence's chest. He looked up at her for a split second before plunging his horn all the way to its hilt into her. Ignoring her anguished yell, he withdrew it and resumed his position at Cosmo's side as if nothing had happened. Blood gushed from the wound.

“Mortally wounded by your own husband, who was broken by his sister,” said Cosmo. “Only at your end do you at last comprehend the folly of love.” He pressed the side of his horn against her neck. “Now, renounce its evil. Rid yourself of your weakness before you die.”

Cadence tilted her head and looked Cosmo right in his burning eyes. Mustering the last of her strength, she spat on his muzzle.

In one rapid motion, Cosmo slashed clean through Cadence's neck.