• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 3,129 Views, 159 Comments

Repercussions - GaryOak



None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.

  • ...
22
 159
 3,129

Prologue

Cover Art by Saurabhinator | View Full Resolution

Repercussions
by Tony "GaryOak" Genovese

=====================================================================

Prologue
===============

From here, she could see everything.

Stretched before her far below was the whole of the fertile valley that made up the heart of Equestria, from the dark clot of vegetation at the southern end of the Everfree Forest, to the golden wheat fields surrounding Canterlot. Yet, as she gazed over the land, she knew that what she could not see was more important. Twilight Sparkle was waiting for something, but it did not concern her that she didn’t know exactly what it was.

How did I get here? The idea floated around in the back of Twilight's mind, unable to force its way into her consciousness. Still waiting, Twilight shifted her weight, causing a couple of rocks to clatter down a steep slope. Twilight looked at the ground beneath her hooves, seeing nothing but black rock as the ground fell off sharply before her. I'm on the peak of a mountain, then, she thought vaguely. She went back to waiting and watching.

The idea came back, stronger this time. Why in the name of Celestia am I on the peak of –

An enormous explosion in the valley below shattered her train of thought, and caused her dark purple mane to flap wildly despite the distance. A rainbow, which seemed to originate from the same place, overwhelmed her field of vision. As her sight cleared, a pair of new light sources drew her attention. The first came from a tower in Canterlot Castle.

It intensified in a titanic surge of unrestrained magic. “I... I recognize that light!” gasped Twilight. But that's impossible... This happened over ten years ago! But... if I'm there in Canterlot... how am I here now?

The second light source began to grow more distinct in Twilight's peripheral vision: it was coming from Ponyville. As she turned toward it, her jaw dropped and her heart began to race. Ponyville was in flames. A thick purple cloud of noxious fumes rose from the inferno, spreading like a disease. Twilight's eyes widened as the fire spread, faint laughter reaching her ears upon the breeze.

The wind carrying the mysterious laughter began to pick up, blowing the purple smog in Twilight's direction. An icy chill overwhelmed her heart, and Twilight screamed as the smog continued to gain momentum, drawing closer with each passing second. Lighting her horn, she launched a bolt toward the oncoming smog, praying that her efforts would at least slow it. The spell had no effect; the purple cloud consumed it much like everything else in its path. With no time to escape or prepare another defense, Twilight gritted her teeth and braced for impact.

A split second before the smog made contact with its prey, the howling gale whistled in her ears and formed words. “You've got such potential... the likes of which I have not seen in thousands of years...” The ethereal words caused Twilight to go stock still. “It would be such a waste if we didn't put it to use...” Before she could begin to comprehend the words' meaning, the cloud consumed her, and Twilight blacked out.