• Published 29th Sep 2012
  • 6,421 Views, 218 Comments

Fly Far, Fly Fast - Omega_code

  • ...
11
 218
 6,421

From the Divide...

Thanks for HeavyMetalCommunist for proofreading. Especially with Ulysses's lines.
_____________________________________________________________________

The last of the Marked men fell down after his head exploded when a .50 caliber round passed through his head, fired from a red haired woman with a Eyebot called ED-E that was hovering behind her. The woman reloaded another round into her rifle, keeping the sights pointed down the huge missile control room.

“I believe that’s all of them,” A black man, Ulysses, said monotonously, who stood next to her. The woman kept her rifle up a bit longer before lowering it, letting out a breath she’d been holding for quite some time. The rumble of the nuclear missile behind them quickly snapped her out of her relaxed state.

“We need to stop the launch,” she said as she briskly made her way to the control panel.

“You can’t stop the launch, nothing can.” Ulysses said in a toneless voice. Still, the woman tried to type in a command on the keyboard. Something appeared on the screen which caused her to angrily kick the lower part of the panel.

“Damn it! There's got to be a way to stop it!” The woman yelled as she began to rapidly type in more commands, doing her best to override the launch. ED-E could tell the woman was in a very desperate state and was extremely tense, trying to stop the end of another civilization. The black man was right, there was no way she could ever stop the launch, but...there was one way.

ED-E floated up to her and played one of the many recordings he had in his database. “Experiment log 369248/A – Eyebot Duraframe universal interface override system. This is Dr. Whitley presiding. Initial tests of the override system are promising. Against unsecured or lightly-encrypted targets, the Eyebots have a 98% success rate. More heavily protected systems are still problematic. Military-grade encryption presents a very real possibility of critical overload of key systems. We’ve stopped tests before any robots were destroyed, but if we don’t address the problem our Eyebots will fry themselves hacking military networks.”

The woman stared at ED-E for a while. “Are you...are you saying you can stop this missile?”

≤Confirmatory beeping≥

“But the log said that this kind of encryption would kill you!”

≤Sad beeping≥

The woman shook her head. “No, ED-E, I won’t let you sacrifice yourself like this. There has to be another way!”

≤Sad beeping≥

The woman looked at ED-E with a sorrowful look. “If...if you’re really sure you want this, okay. Go ahead and stop the missile. And...goodbye...my dear friend.”

≤Determined beeping≥

With that the woman stepped out of the way, letting ED-E have access to the universal interface. ED-E began to play his dramatic music that he emitted every time a battle commenced. ED-E sent a small messaged to its original self in the Mojave, a messaged to remind him of the deeds of both him and the woman, and then he began to hack into the control panel. He let out an electrical arc signal into the interface, telling it to shut down all systems. As expected there was a major surge of electricity, which damaged some circuit components inside of ED-E.

The control panel was still running, so ED-E shot off another electrical arc causing even more damage to himself. The room was starting to rumble and small explosions burst out under the floor. The control panel was still functioning and ED-E kept trying to hack into it, causing more damage in each attempt.

ED-E slightly dipped in the air, almost losing control of his small hoover boosters. The room was now shaking, as if the nuke would detonate right there and then, but ED-E could feel that it needed just one more attempt.

ED-E put all available power to his boosters and let out another electrical burst. That was it, the missile control panel finally shut down; however, ED-E's power systems were starting to go critical and were overloading.

The world seemed to slow down, and ED-E literally felt the small energy build up inside of him and his database collapsing in on itself. However one thing held on to his memory, the memory of his creator and of the female Courier. Then nothing.

*************************

ED-E exploded in a bright blue flash of electrical energy. The woman slightly winced her eyes as she held a hand up reactively. She lowered her hand, ED-E was gone, leaving no debris.

“ED-E,” she silently whispered to herself in a somber tone. The room gave another violent shake followed by a giant explosion from the base of the missile. She felt a hand clasp on her shoulder.

“We should head out of here, unless you want to become part of the Divide.” Ulysses said. The woman closed her eyes and gave a quick nod of the head. She turned away from the control panel and sprinted with Ulysses to the exit of the missile room.

As they exited the underground bunker, the ground gave one final shake as a loud explosion could be heard behind the shut door. They were both breathing hard and just stood there, staring at each other.

Ulysses was the first to speak. “This is where we split up Courier Six. I doubt you will have any trouble getting back to Hopevillie.”

“You know, I do have a name,” she stated as she walked to where she placed her duffel bag before entering the bunker.

“I know that. But that’s not the name you’re going to be remembered by, Katherine.”

The woman, now known as Katherine, quickly turned around.

“How the hell do you...” Ulysses was nowhere to be seen “...know my real name.” Katherine looked around the area and then at her Pip-boy. Nothing...he just vanished. “I guess he had a stealth-boy with him.” She lowered her left arm. “You win this one Ulysses.” She readjusted her duffel bag and Anti-material rifle’s leather straps across her shoulder and looked back to the ruins of the bunker, with smoke coming out of the ground.

“Rest in peace ED-E. I guess I’ll meet your other self in Vegas with your signature happy beeping noise to greet me.” She looked at the path in front of her and began to walk out of the Divide...for a second time.

************************

“Hey...wake up!” ED-E's vision system suddenly booted up and ED-E was greeted by a male human, who had his face way too close to his vision receptors.

≤Discomfort beeping≥ ED-E wiggled out of the man’s grip and pointed his mini arc welder at him.

“Put that toy away.” The man did a small gesture with his hand and power to his welder stopped flowing. “Is that how you treat all people who just save your life, or only to males?”

ED-E looked around the area he was in, to find it was floating in a room devoid of anything.

≤Confused beeping≥

“You’re in the space between spaces. Which is kind-of-is the Void, but in truth it isn’t. I don’t want to fully explain it to you, otherwise you might bust a circuit, and I just fixed you.” The unknown man said.

ED-E ran a quick diagnostic scan of his system to find everything was back in working condition, nothing was broken.

≤Confused beeping≥

“Yes you really did 'die' to put it bluntly. However, right as you went boom I teleported you here. I made sure no parts went missing and released your memory to float around freely in the Void. I then put your body back together like one big Humpty Dumpty messy jigsaw puzzle. Once that was done I had to recatch your memory putting it back in its proper place before it got lost forever.”

≤Really confused beeping≥

“Yeah, I know this is very hard to believe, but trust me it was way more complicated than I made it sound.” The man then gave a bright smile and asked in a merry tone. “Now I am betting you are wondering who am I and why did I saved your life hmm?”

≤Confirmatory beeping≥

“Well for now you may call me Omega and I saved your life for this one reason.” He leaned in close to ED-E and whispered. “Because you’re not done yet.”

≤Confused Beeping≥

“I don’t know. I was just told to fix you and send you off to your new home.”

≤Surprised beeping≥

“No, not Earth, somewhere different.” The man snapped his fingers and power was enabled again to ED-E’s arc welder. “Now before I send you off to your new home I need to relay two instructions to you. First off try to stay out of public view as much as you can, don’t make a big scene with yourself. Second you are going to meet a certain mare who is going to need your help later on, after that you can make as big of a scene of yourself as you want.” The man said mysteriously.

≤Annoyed beeping≥

“I know they’re not very clear, so are most of his instructions, but they do become clearer later on. You’re a smart robot, I’m sure you’ll figure them out.” He was about to snap his fingers again but he stopped himself. “Oh, and one more thing.” He looked around the empty room. “Ah, there it is.” One of his hands grabbed an invisible object which he tossed it at ED-E. Suddenly ED-E could feel his database being changed and new data was being added.

“There, your recordings are now in Equestrian and you can understand it too. Have fun!” He snapped his fingers and ED-E disappeared in a bright flash.
_____________________________________________________________________

Fallout New Vegas is copyrighted to Obsidian Entertainment and Bethesda Softworks.
All characters that belong to their company are rightfully theirs. This writing is for fun and nothing else.