• Published 1st Apr 2023
  • 218 Views, 0 Comments

Weathering the Storm - JulioMeliss



When a storm hits Camp Everfree, disaster strikes.

  • ...
 0
 218

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

Weathering the Storm

It had been raining hard for several weeks. The dark gray clouds loomed ominously over Camp Everfree as the rain poured and the wind howled.

The once vibrant and lively campsite now appeared gloomy and desolate under the relentless downpour. Several of the students from Canterlot High were huddled in their cabins as they watched and listened to the sound of rain pattering against the window panes and the the distant rumble of thunder.

All of them had been looking forward to a fun week at Camp Everfree, but the constant downpour had put a damper on that excitement. Due to the rainy weather, the two camp counselors, Glorisa and Timber, were forced to make the difficult decision of canceling all the planned outdoor activities for the students' safety, leaving them bored and disappointed.

The few campers who were outside the cabins were doing everything they could to help deal with the storm. Lyra and Bon Bon were cleaning up the fallen branches and leaves, Flash, Applejack, and Bulk Biceps were repairing a leaky roof on one of the cabins, and Rarity was, stylishly, mopping up the wet floors of the café building.

Underneath the gazebo in the courtyard is where Fluttershy was sitting alone, feeling miserable. She had been so excited to come to Camp Everfree and spend time with her friends and meet all kinds of woodland animals, but the weather had ruined everything. Everywhere she looked was wet, wet, wet…

The wind howled like an anguished creature, its mournful cries mixing with the steady rhythm of rainfall. The occasional thunderclap would punctuate the darkened sky, adding an element of unease to the already somber atmosphere, with the leaves on the trees sagging under the weight of the water, their vibrant green hues fading to a muted shade of gray.

To make matters worse, the camp was located near a river that was slowly rising due to the continuous downpour. Only the great wall, known as a dam, was holding back the water from overflowing.

As Applejack took a break from the repairs and descended down the ladder, she spotted Fluttershy sitting all alone. She could see the sadness on her friend’s face and without a word, quietly went and sat down beside her and put a reassuring arm around her shoulder.

"Hey there, sugarcube, you feelin' alright?" She asked.

Fluttershy looked up at her friend, smiling weakly. "*sighs* I guess. I’m just… Im just a bit tired of all this rain…" She said.

Applejack crossed her arms solemnly. "I reckon we all are, Fluttershy. But that’s just the way it is, unfortunately. We just got to make the best out of a bad situation."

Fluttershy sighed again, her gaze fixed on the dreary landscape surrounding them. "I… I just think I need to be by myself for a while."

Applejack nodded, understanding her friend's feelings. "Alright, but Timber said the storm’s only gonna worse later today. Please don't go too far and be careful." She warned.

"I’ll try…" Fluttershy whispered before standing up. Applejack watched anxiously as Fluttershy walked away.

She reached the edge of the camp grounds and made her way across a long wooden bridge, its age apparent in the rickety planks that emitted a creaking sound with each step she took, with the river surging dangerously beneath it.


As Fluttershy slowly made her way down the dirt path through the woods, the sound of the rain hitting the leaves and the ground around her drowned out any other noise. She felt the soft earth beneath her feet and the occasional squish of mud as she moved along the path.

Despite the gloominess of the day, Fluttershy couldn't help but still admire the beauty of the woods around her. The trees were tall and majestic, their leaves creating a canopy overhead. She was even lucky enough to catch quick glimpses of a few animals scurrying about, seeking shelter from the rain, but they quickly disappeared from sight.

As she continued to walk, the sight of the old dam came into view, she stopped and slowly turned her gaze toward it. It wasn’t until she had stopped, that she noticed that not only was the rain intensifying, but the wind was also picking up.

Fluttershy was starting to feel very worried, and soon she knew why. The sound of thunder echoed loudly through the dark gray clouds…

*CRASH!*

A sudden bolt of lightning momentarily lit up the gray sky. The bright flash was followed by a deafening boom that echoed across the valley.

Fluttershy instinctively covered her ears and watched in horror at one of the nearby trees being struck by the lightning strike, causing it to come crashing down onto the dam. The force of the impact was so severe that a large crack immediately forms in the wall making water begin to seep through.

Fluttershy's heart raced as she watched the water slowly trickling through the crack. "The dam's breaking up!" She knew that if the dam did brake, the camp would be in danger of flooding. She had to warn everyone.

She turned and ran back towards camp, the rain now coming down in sheets. She could barely see where she was going, but she pushed forward, determined to find her friends.


Applejack was waiting anxiously for Fluttershy by the bridge, the river had risen so high that the bridge was in danger of collapsing.

At last, Fluttershy came into view. She slowed down and panted, out of breath. "The dam’s breaking up! We must find high ground!" She exclaimed.

"Your only hope is to cross the bridge!" Applejack cried.

"It doesn’t look very safe to me!" The shy girl wailed, eyeing the rushing waters was now even higher than before.

"Don’t worry, Fluttershy! I’m right here! I’m not leavin' without you!" Applejack declared.

Fluttershy, knowing this was her only chance, began to slowly make her way back across. The old bridge creaked loudly. The river seemed deeper than ever. She had made it halfway when disaster struck…

Back at the dam, more holes had formed, making more and more water seep through. Eventually, the dam finally collapsed and gave way to the rushing water.

Both Fluttershy and Applejack froze as they heard the sound of rushing water. They slowly turned to see waves of water rapidly approaching before crashing into the old wooden bridge.

"HELLLLP!!!" Fluttershy cried as the bridge broke apart beneath her feet.

Applejack watched in horror as she saw Fluttershy let out a blood-curdling scream before falling under the turbulent waters.

"FLUTTERSHY!"

Without a second thought, Applejack began running back as fast as she could, tears streaming down her face as she went. She couldn’t bear the thought of losing Fluttershy, one of her closest friends. She had to find someone, anybody, that could help save her.

When she finally entered the courtyard, her legs were covered in mud, but she didn’t care. She looked and immediately found Glorisa and Timber nearby and ran over to them.

"Please! You have to help me! Fluttershy's in trouble! The dam's broke, and the bridge collapsed with her on it!" Applejack exclaimed, gasping for breath.

The two camp counselors looked at each other and nodded, springing into action. "Okay, we need to gather everyone and get to high ground as fast as we can! Timber will go with you." Glorisa said, her voice firm and resolute.

Glorisa left and began banging on doors, shouting for everyone to evacuate immediately.

The students quickly realized the gravity of the situation and quickly rush to grab their belongings and follow Glorisa to the bus.

Soon, Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna were in the crowd, making sure all their students were safe. It was a scene of utter chaos.

“Attention all students, please make sure you have packed all your belongings and make your way to the bus, thank you!” Vice-Principal Luna ordered.

Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, Rarity, and Sunset were doing their best to calm and help their frightened classmates, none of them being aware of what had just happened to Fluttershy.

"Where is she? Take me to her!" Timber asked urgently.

Applejack quickly led him to the riverbank, where the water was still raging. "She fell into the water over there!" Applejack pointed to the spot where Fluttershy had disappeared.

“We’ll follow the river, we’re bound to find her further up!” Timber replied.

Applejack and Timber began running alongside the river, searching for any sign of Fluttershy. All they could hear was the water roaring and crashing against rocks, making it hard for them to hear anything else.


As Fluttershy thrashed helplessly against the raging waters, she passed a sign that made her heart drop…

"Beware the Waterfall."

Panicking, she began desperately trying to swim to shore as fast as her body would let her, but the rapids were just too strong to fight against. In doing this, however, she noticed a tree root sticking out of the water straight ahead.

Fluttershy was able to to barely make her over to the root and grasped onto it with all her might, pulling herself halfway out of the water.

After catching her breath, she quickly looked around and couldn’t believe that she survived. But it wasn’t over yet.

She was in the middle of the raging rapids with nowhere to go, and the log she was holding onto was completely slick, so she had to cling on tightly or she'd slip back into the water.

"HELP! Somebody please help me!" Fluttershy yelled, but her voice was so drowned out by the raging rapids that no one could hear her.

Applejack and Timber were fighting their way through the wind and rain, still frantically searching for Fluttershy along the riverbank, calling her name, but the sound of the rushing water also drowned out their voices.

Suddenly, Timber stopped when he spotted Fluttershy on the log. "There she is!" He shouted, pointing to her.

Applejack and Timber both began to yell and frantically wave to her. Fluttershy, who was not only fatigued but also getting hypothermic, very carefully removed one hand and waved back.

"She needs us! W-We gotta swim out to her! Do somethin’!" Applejack cried, she was so desperate to save her, that she nearly dove into the water to swim over herself.

"No, stop! We can’t…” Timber said, holding the cowgirl back. “She’s right near the edge of the falls. If we dive into the water, we‘ll just get swept over too!" Timber added. "What we need is a plan…"

"I will do anythin' to save my friend." Applejack said, tears streaming down her face.

"Wait a minute… I’ve got it. I’ve got it!" Timber Spruce said excitedly. "I have an idea, but we need to hurry, I’ll be back shortly!" He said as he took off running back to camp to get something.

Applejack sighed sadly as she looked up to her frightened friend. "Hang in there, Fluttershy! We’re gonna get you out of there safely! Just hold out, just a little longer…" She called out.

Though Fluttershy could barely hear her, the small smile she managed to muster was enough to give Applejack hope.

Applejack then heard a voice calling to her. She turned and saw Timber, a little ways ahead, carrying one of the smaller boats from the boathouse and a long tether. He soon motioned for Applejack to follow him to a little bridge upstream.

"Okay, here's the plan!" Timber explained. "We're going to tie this tether to the boat, and then we're going to guide it over to her. She can jump in, and we can pull her to safety!" He said as he handed the tether to Applejack.

The cowgirl nodded, understanding the plan, and quickly got to work. With Timber's help, she tied the tether securely to the boat, making sure it was strong enough to withstand the rushing water.

They then launched the boat into the river, carefully guiding and steering it through the strong currents. As the boat drew closer, Fluttershy's eyes widened with hope as she realized what they were trying to do.

"Come on, Fluttershy! It’s now… *grunts* or never!" Applejack shouted, her cheeks flushed red from exhaustion.

Fluttershy took a deep breath and mustered all the courage she could find. She knew this was her only chance of escaping, and she had to take it. With a burst of determination, she leaped from her perch onto the boat, landing with a thud, her body aching from the cold and her muscles weak from the whole ordeal.

Applejack and Timber quickly pulled on the tether, using all their strength to fight against the powerful current. Fluttershy held on tightly to the sides of the boat, feeling the water rush past her.

The three friends worked together to steer the boat and keep it afloat. The tension was palpable as they struggled to avoid the boat and tether getting stuck on the rocks, but with each passing moment, they grew stronger and more determined.

Finally, with one last pull, they reached the shore and helped Fluttershy out of the boat.

Exhausted and shaken, the three friends collapsed onto the ground, grateful to be alive. Fluttershy, still shivering from the cold, looked up at Applejack and Timber Spruce with tears in her eyes.

"Thank you…" She whispered, her voice barely audible. "Thank you for saving me."

"T-That’s alright…" Applejack replied, almost out of breath herself. "That’s what friends are for."

The three slowly got to their feet.

"Hey…" Timber began. "Let's get out of here."

Applejack and Timber made Fluttershy put her arms around their shoulders and the three of them slowly made their way back to safety…


When the floods were over and the dam fully mended, the three friends and the rest of the camp below threw a big party celebrating Fluttershy's rescue, hosted by Principal Celestia, as the sun broke through the dark clouds and the blue sky began to dominate the skies once more.

"You were very brave, Fluttershy." Principal Celestia commended.

"Three cheers for Fluttershy!" Glorisa exclaimed, leading the students in a round of applause and cheers that left the shy girl blushing.

"Oh, please, don’t thank me… I don't know what I would've done without them." Fluttershy said softly as she pointed to Applejack and Timber.

Applejack chuckled. "Aw, don’t mention it, sugarcube. We're just happy you're safe and sound." She said with a smile.

"I could never have been so brave!" Twilight remarked in amazement.

"Oh, I’m sure you would’ve. But you never know until you’ve tried!" Fluttershy said playfully.

Twilight secretly hoped she’d never have to…

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment