• Published 27th Mar 2023
  • 221 Views, 8 Comments

Goodbye to a World - Reba_McIntosh



Rainbow Dash slips into a coma. Unbeknownst to her friends and family, she is completely conscious—just not in Ponyville.

  • ...
3
 8
 221

Preface

Some say there is a space between worlds—a thin layer of the universe accessible only to those who seek it out. It serves to connect the here and the after, the beginning and the end, the past, the present, and the future.

Others argue that it cannot exist within the laws of space, of matter, of the fabric of time. And yet... how can it not? How can we know of things that do not belong to our world if not for the bits of information that seep through its cracks and into our own reality? Those stories that would be otherwise lost to time somehow find their way to us and are told over and over again. Sometimes the truth becomes muddled along the way, but that core idea is still there. That... otherworldliness.

It's impressive. Incredibly unbelievable in its existence yet somehow entirely plausible. It introduces ideas that we could never conceive ourselves in a manner so real and so palpable that it hurts. A concept that has endless means of interpretation and no real way of validating it, yet still leaves you begging for more.

An entire universe of ideas, beliefs, and stories, all in that tiny expanse of space. Some call it a portal, others a gateway. Most deny its existence and laugh at those who believe in it. Regardless of what stance you take on the matter, one truth remains: There is something. Reaching and pulling and begging to be acknowledged. That tug in the corner of your mind when you drift to sleep; that strange familiarity in a place you've never been to; that shadow that flickers in and out of your peripherals without your realization.

How can we acknowledge what we don't see? How can we see what we refuse to believe? How can we believe what we don't understand?

Whether or not we want to accept it, it's a part of us. That yearning for something, anything, to explain what cannot be understood. And it all starts in that tiny pocket of space that will always be waiting, watching, aching to be recognized.

The in-between.