• Published 27th Mar 2023
  • 388 Views, 14 Comments

Moonrise: The Birth Of The New Lunar Empire - Drunk Luna



Nightmare Moon’s daughter, Circe, convinces her mother to overthrow Celestia.

  • ...
2
 14
 388

Prologue

Bathed in moonlight, a majestic alicorn surveyed the glowing blue sphere in the distance, her bright turquoise eyes narrowed in a scowl. Rage brewed within her, making Nightmare Moon’s starry tail begin to twitch involuntarily. She gritted her teeth and began to calculate the position of the moon in proportion with Equus.

In spite of her circumstances, the goddess of the night lived comfortably; fortunately, the sun bitch had restricted the use of Nightmare Moon’s powers to the moon so that she could still conjure food, lodging, and adequate forms of entertainment for herself and her young daughter. The lunar alicorn had built a fully-stocked library, a school building, and a magnificent palace, but of course, nothing would ever compare to Equus. Nightmare Moon huffed in irritation and tossed her dished head, which was a clear sign of her Arabian ancestry, along with her elegant, long neck that curved in a graceful arc, her endlessly slender legs, and her proud, high tail carriage. She walked over to her mirror and surveyed her glossy black coat, pausing for a few extra seconds to admire her striking beauty.

“Mommy!” The demoness’ delicate ears flicked in the direction of the small, familiar voice, and a warm, loving smile began to soften her features. As she continued to look in the mirror, a much smaller, eggplant colored alicorn appeared behind her, prancing excitedly as her turquoise eyes glinted like the stars that surrounded the moon.

“Circe, my little moonbeam,” Nightmare Moon trilled, gently pulling the filly in for a hug. “How are you, darling? Did you finish your assigned reading?” She dropped a gentle kiss on the foal’s forehead, then nuzzled her affectionately. Circe nodded.

“Every word,” the foal said with a proud smile. “I can’t believe how many constellations are in the sky, Mommy. Did you really make all of them? Which one is your favorite?” Nightmare Moon smiled so widely that her face began to hurt, but the warmth in her eyes proved the genuine love she held for her precious young daughter.

“Well,” the goddess replied thoughtfully as she gazed out at the endless abyss of stars that surrounded them, “I like Scorpius. I created that one when I was feeling extra bitter about your terrible aunt. Do you see how the scorpion is poised to kill?” She gestured to the cluster of stars. “One day, my dear, we shall be the Scorpius of Equestria, raising our stinger to strike down my inconsiderate, unkind fool of a sister. She only sent me here when I lashed out at her in response to her neglect. She never once shed any of her precious light on any of my accomplishments, though my role was exponentially more difficult and valuable than hers will ever be. I ushered ponies to the afterlife, Circe. I gave a peaceful end to every single pony who passed away on Equestrian soil. It was the most sacred, precious, emotionally painful job a pony could have, but did I ever receive any respect, recognition, or appreciation for it from her? No. Ponies have suffered and died alone for nearly a millennium because she is too lazy and emotionally weak to handle the weight of my most sacred duty. I hate her, my dearest daughter, and I will protect you from her with my life if I have to.” Nightmare Moon’s face turned serious. “Circe, you must promise me that you’ll never trust her when we return, no matter how hard she tries to manipulate you—and believe me, she will try.”

“I won’t trust her, Mommy,” Circe replied, cuddling under Nightmare Moon’s wing. The mare relaxed and nuzzled her daughter’s temple.

“Are you sleepy, my lovely?” the demoness cooed as the filly lay down beside her. Circe yawned and pressed against her mother’s side, curling up into a fluffy purple ball and tucking her muzzle underneath her small wing, curling her long, thick tail around her body. Nightmare Moon’s heart melted with maternal love, and she instinctively formed a protective circle around the filly’s body with her own.

“Sleep peacefully, daughter,” she whispered as Circe began to drift off. “The night shall always keep you safe. We will never part, my little moonbeam. I love you so very much.” Nightmare Moon nuzzled Circe once more, then cuddled the filly against her side and fell asleep.