• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 21,343 Views, 945 Comments

Arachnophobia - Dennis the Menace



It was here, in my room. Somewhere, skittering along on its eight spindly legs.

  • ...
27
 945
 21,343

Nature's Cthulhu

Seriously, whose idea was it to even come up with spiders? It certainly wasn't mine. For some reason my little ponies seemed to entertain this idea that I was a god and master of the universe, having created them and everything on this wretched planet. First off, I only control half of the universe. My only job is to the move the sun up and down, and sometimes I might lock myself in my room and cackle maniacally as a healthy way to relieve stress while moving the sun back and forth, if only to annoy Luna. So there, I didn't make spiders. Mother Nature did, and in my humble opinion, I think that Mother Nature was on her period when she made spiders.

Nature is scary. I looked it up. Do you know how many types of spiders are out there? How many species inhabit the Everfree Forest and even in Canterlot? Too many. My solution for dealing with spiders mostly involved me using a blowtorch. Or a flamethrower.

So when I cracked open a spider encyclopedia in the castle library, trying not to squirm as I read through all kinds of species, I realized that I was going to need a much larger flamethrower. The sun was a good way to incinerate every spider on the face of the earth, and just about everything else too.

What is wrong with me? I'm seriously considering using the sun to kill spiders.

I'm starting to think Luna got Atticus for the sole purpose of unnerving me. I wouldn't put it past her to do that sort of thing. After all, she did put a bug on my pillow as payback for last Nightmare Night.

"No," I huffed.

I would not let her get the best of me. I would not. I am Princess Celestia! And I would not let some itty-bitty spider get the best of me. That itty...bitty little creature...with eight legs. Moving in tandem, crawling...

Philomena crooned worriedly.

"I am fine, Philomena. Do you like Atticus?"

The phoenix tilted her head.

"Would you eat him for me?"

She squawked in protest, giving me a firm shake of her head.

"Some help you are," I said lightly, giving her an affectionate pet.

They say that the best way to overcome your fear is to face it. And tonight, I was going to do exactly that. I was going to march over to Luna's room, and face Atticus, and he would learn to fear me, just like all my little ponies have.

Just in case, I donned my battle crest and weighed horseshoes, perfect for crushing ribs. Or spiders.


"Sister, look, look! I'm teaching him tricks!" Luna squealed.

I eyed the spider on her desk warily, taking slow steps.

"I didn't know spiders could even do tricks."

"Of course they can! They are very intelligent, sister! Just watch," she said, puffing her chest. She said to Atticus, "Shake."

Atticus reached his outermost limb, mimicking a hoofshake with Luna.

"Roll over!"

The spider complied, rolling over lazily and skittering back into place.

"Good boy!" Luna gushed.

"That is very nice, but..."

"Wait, wait!" Luna plopped her abacus down upon the desk.

My heart nearly leapt out of my chest when Atticus jumped onto the thing, his long legs flicking the beads back and forth.

"Is he doing what I think he is doing?"

"Indeed! Two times two!"

Atticus flicked the beads, counting four.

"Five times three!"

Fifteen beads.

"Isn't he so smart?"

I was already praying to whatever higher power existed to give me mercy. This spider was intelligent. And I knew that right then and there, we had a royal threat. Even more dangerous than changelings. Canterlot was in danger of being under siege by intelligent spiders. Oh, you may laugh. But spiders had already conquered basic arithmetic, and soon, they would set their beady little eyes on Canterlot.

"Here's a treat, Atticus!"

In Luna's magical grip was a dead insect. She dropped the meal in front of the carnivorous spider, and I watched in horror as it devoured it, sinking its fangs into it with extreme aggression.

"Isn't he cute? Sister? 'Tia?"


KILL IT WITH FIRE KILL IT WITH FIRE, my mind screamed as I bolted from her room like a foal, struggling to breathe.

My guards didn't do so much as bat an eye as I came galloping along frantically, slamming my doors hard enough to shake the castle. The first thing I did was jump in a bath of ice cold water, if only to get rid of that horrible itchy feeling. However, that ice cold bath turned into a somewhat pleasurable bubble bath, and I decided to sink down into the lukewarm waters, sighing. At least in here, there were no spiders.

Even as my eyes were closed, my ear perked toward the sound of something...rubbing along the linoleum. I concentrated, my eyes screwed shut. It sounded like somebody was rubbing...sandpaper or something. However, I soon realized that sound resembled more of a stampede of tiny buffaloes. They were rapid little steps, shuffling along the floor.

There was a knock at the door. "Sister? Sister, are you in there?"

"Yes, Luna?"

"I cannot find Atticus!"

My purple eyes snapped open in horror.

"He was with you less than fifteen minutes ago."

"I know! But after you ran off, he just disappeared! Did he follow you?"

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"


Have you ever heard me scream?

Of course not. And now you have. And to be frank, I sound positively heavenly even as I scream for my life.

I shot up out of the bath in terror. When Luna and my guards came barging in, they searched everywhere.

"Sister! Sister, are you alright?"

They glanced up, watching me cling to the ceiling like a spider. "He's in here!" I shuddered. "Atticus is in the bathroom!"

Luna searched around before finding Atticus on bathroom mirror. "Here you are! Don't you ever leave me again!"

"H-He infiltrated my bathroom...violated my p-privacy..."

"I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it!"

Atticus was sending a message. He could get to me anytime, anywhere, and now I knew it as well.

This was war.