• Published 23rd Apr 2023
  • 774 Views, 28 Comments

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic What If?: Volume 16 - SuperPinkBrony12



The sixteenth installment of What If series that involves the rewriting of episodes. Twelve episodes from across all nine seasons are included this time around, including redos and bonus chapters. (Warning!: Rewrites based on personal opinion.)

  • ...
3
 28
 774

S6 E22: Serious Business (P.P.O.V. (Pony Point of View)) (What If?)

Author's Note:

I couldn't really think of how to rewrite the original episode "P.P.O.V. (Pony Point of View)" because the whole thing just seems like an episode written to fill an episode slot. It features three stories not in agreement with each other on anything, and what they do seem to agree on never happened. Yet somehow, Twilight (after sticking her nose into her friends' problem completely unprompted and with no indication that the feud is really bad) finds out the solution. It's never explained what caused Rarity, Pinkie Pie or Applejack to believe the things they believed.

So instead, I decided to scrap the episode altogether and use something else in its slot. The leaks confirmed that among the episode ideas that never came to fruition, there was one involving Rarity trying to teach Pinkie Pie about business. I felt like such an idea might be worth exploring, largely as a way of exploring Pinkie's exact means of employment with the Cakes and what that could mean for the future.

I decided to use Sassy Saddles and Canterlot Carousel because both were kind of forgotten about and ignored. Heck, Season 6 had Rarity open up a third boutique in Manehattan completely out of the blue, but that got its own episode a few seasons later, whereas with the exception of briefly being in "Forever Filly", neither Canterlot Carousel or Sassy were seen again after Season 5 (despite both being featured in the opening credits for Seasons 8 and 9).

My intentions with this particular "replacement" is to explore the concept of something someone is skilled at, but doesn't want to make a living out of it. The idea being that if you had to do it as a profession, it would stop being fun and that in turn would limit your creativity or passion.

Sonic Rainboom
The Tortoise and the Mare (May the Best Pet Win)
Magic Duel (Redo)
Princess Twilight Sparkle Parts 1 and 2
Rarity Investigates! (Redo)
Flutter Brutter
Serious Business (P.P.O.V. (Pony Point of View))
Rock Solid Friendship
The Hearth's Warming Club
2, 4, 6, Greaaat (Bonus Chapter)
She Talks to Angel

Rarity had anticipated an increased workload for herself upon opening a third boutique in Manehattan. Heck, the whole reason she had moved forward with such a boutique in the first place was partially because she'd wanted to tap into a market she deemed absolutely vital to her business interests. Just getting it open had taken a lot of work and a good deal of luck.

The fashionista was confident she could handle the demands that three boutiques all in operation at once would bring. But on a trip to Canterlot to check in on her dream boutique in Canterlot Carousel, she had found her business partner in Sassy Saddles completely overwhelmed. "Oh, bless my buttons! I'm ever so grateful you showed up when you did!" Sassy all but exclaimed to Rarity when the unicorn stopped by! "Just look around! Business is booming! We've got more customers and clientle than I know what to do with!"

Rarity could easily see that Sassy wasn't kidding. Not since the opening (and the almost closing) of Canterlot Carousel had there been such a crowd as the one currently assembled! Ponies were lining up in, and the line stretched out the door all the way around the corner (and seemingly toward the horizon)! Those inside the boutique were darting about with no rhyme or reason, grabbing whatever catched their eye and then either heading to the changing rooms to try it on, or to the front desk to make their purchase. The chatter amongst them was deafening, you could barely hear yourself think!

So it was that Rarity found herself trying to help a clearly desperate Sassy Saddles manage the crowds! It seemed that even without a signature dress to its name anymore, Canterlot Carousel had attracted quite a reputation. The elite of Canterlot were visiting with increased frequency, and it seems that had drawn quite the throng.

For hours on end, Rarity and Sassy rushed about the boutique until their hooves were sore and aching! Sewing machines hummed, the cash register rang up purchase after purchase, ponies came and went so often that faces began to blur. It seemed like the crowd wouldn't stop until they had taken everything in the boutique that was for sale.

At last, however, the boutique was able to close. And the two unicorns breathed heavy sighs of relief as they finally finished their work.

"Satin and sashes!" Sassy Saddles exclaimed afterward, slouching over the front desk. Her mane and tail had lost their usual, well kept style and had come undone. Hairs were sticking up, and her shirt seemed wrinkled and stained with dirt and sweat. "That was like a shift right out of Tartarus itself!"

"Has it been like this for long?" Rarity asked as she tried to adjust her frazzled mane and tail, and took off her ruby red sewing glasses to rub her eyes.

Sassy firmly nodded. "Since the opening of Rarity For You, business has been going up and up. At first it was just a few extra ponies here and there. But lately, it seems like everypony who's anypony in Canterlot is stopping by. I daresay, soon we might be having the princess themselves paying us a visit," She gulped and bit her hoof! "What are we going to do, Rarity?! We can't keep this up! I think we may have expanded too far too soon!"

"But we can't close down boutiques now, that would be a loss of momentum we coud ill afford!" Rarity protested. "I knew my workload back in Ponyville was starting to pick up, but I never knew it was getting so bad here. And if it's bad here, it's sure to be even worse in Manehattan," She sighed, hanging her head. "And there's no way the excess loads can be passed on to Carousel Boutique. I have nopony to hoof the reigns to in an emergency."

At that, Sassy questioned. "Really? You've never thought of having a business partner for the store you admittted would be 'the jewel in the crown' as it were?"

The fasionista unicorn explained. "I never had a need for one," She then looked down at the ground in shame. "Until now. Oh, what am I going to do, Sassy? At this rate, I might just have to have Carousel Boutique merge with another business and step away from the dress making for a time. I can't go on like this! The chain can't go on like this!" She proceeded to look up, and rise to her hooves. "Well, I'd better get back to Ponyville. I hadn't planned to come back to Canterlot for more than a day. I'll need to start making some adjustments."

"Perhaps some time off from the fashion business would be helpful?" Sassy Saddles proposed. "A chance to clear your head could be just what the doctor ordered."

Rarity nodded quite slowly. "I'll think about it, Sassy. Whatever I do decide to do, you and Coco will be the first ponies to know about it." Then she set off to catch the train to go back to Ponyville, so that she could start packing for a long term relocation to Canterlot (at least until things quieted back down). She had no idea that this little "detour" would lead to a most unusual idea concerning one of her friends.

Arriving back in Ponyville sometime later, Rarity was too bus thinking about the dilemma she was now facing to really care about her appearance. She only loosely tried to style it to look presentable, but her face still bore the visible and obvious signs of exhaustion.

As the unicorn was trotting back to Carousel Boutique to pack her things, she by chance happened to walk past Sugarcube Corner. Immediately, her thoughts turned to the sweet treats that were surely being made inside the bakery right now. Come to think of it, it had been a while since she'd had anything to eat. A little pick-me-up sounded rather tempeting right now.

So the young fashionista decided to postpone her trip back to her boutique, and trotted into Sugarcube Corner in an attempt to satisfy her sweet tooth. All the while, she thought to herself. "Maybe the Cakes will have some good business advice they'll be willing to share. After all, they've been running Sugarcube Corner since before I became owner of Carousel Boutique."

To Rarity's surprise, her beautiful blue eyes found that Sugarcube Corner was all but packed with ponies (and even some non-ponies)! Just about every table was occupied: With patrons either chatting amongst themselves or devouring sweets left and right. And there were those just waiting in line to make a purchase. Yet all seemed to have a smile on their face. Everything seemed to be flowing well. A part of Rarity couldn't help but feel jealous, this was just like the crowds she'd endured back in Canterlot, but they were being much better managed here.

The only thing more surprising then the content faces of the crowd, was the fact that Pinkie Pie could be seen bouncing to and from tables, and spending time behind the counter and cash register to help customers with their orders. She would happily ring up a purchase one minute, then zip away to a table at the next to deliver an order to another customer. And she seemed to have no trouble keeping track of what was what and who was who.

The fashionista was speechless! She had never seen Pinkie working so hard before, and yet the pink party pony was making the whole thing seem like a piece of cake.

Rarity was only snapped out of her contemplation by Pinkie Pie cheerfully greeting. "Hi, Rarity," Then she exclaimed upon seeing the unicorn's frazzled state! "Wowee, you look beat! Don't worry, I know just what you need!" She zoomed into the kitchen, and returned shortly with a plate of freshly baked brownies. "Here you are! Your usual," Then she threw up a hoof. "Oh, I almost forgot!" She zipped away again, and returned in the blink of an eye with a cup of coffee. "Here you go: Decafe, just like you like it."

Rarity had to blink to make sure she hadn't been seeing things. Pinkie had taken her order without missing a beat, as if the whole thing were second nature to her.

"You want a discount, right?" Pinkie proclaimed without waiting for a reply from Rarity. "Don't worry, I got you covered," She trotted over to the cash register, pressed a few keys and then declared. "That's thirty seven bits exactly. Considering you'd normally pay over a hundred bits, that's a more than fifty percent discount. Don't worry, Sugarcube Corner's swimming in profits. We're making more than enough to give out discounts to loyal customers like you." She promptly hoofed over the designated amount of bits to her fashion friend.

Rarity was rendered speechless at the display!

Pinkie Pie flashed one of her signature bright smiles. "Oh, I know that look! It's the look of another satisfied customer!" Then she cheerfully replied. "Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you need to move so you don't hold up the line. Besides, I'm on the clock right now, too busy to talk. Just find a table, and I'll get to you as soon as I can."

The fashionista reluctantly obeyed as she gathered her thoughts. Seeing her party planning and throwing friend so effortlessly add up the total for an order, calculate the discount, the difference between said discount and the usual price, and deliver both the product and the payment in the blink of an eye... Well, the unicorn didn't even know what to think! Even she herself never could've been that fast, and she prided herself on being attentive to every little detail, to knowing how to stretch the bits without cutting corners. And one bite of the brownies (plus a sip of the delicious, hot coffee) confirmed that Pinkie had maintained the quality just as expected.

Then it dawned on Rarity. Of coruse Pinkie would know about business, she not only worked at a successful business but also would have to know about the supplies costs for all the parties she threw (though whether she ever got paid for them was another matter). The Cakes would've had to teach her such things when they agreed to take her on as an apprentice in exchange for her room and board.

Just then, the pretty pink party pony proudly and promptly pronked right over to the table Rarity was at. Her expression hadn't changed in the slightest. "Hey, Rarity, what's on your mind? I've never seen you so... what's that word again?" She put a hoof to her chin, trying to recall a memory. Then, almost like the bursting of a balloon, it came to her with a sudden gasp! "Frazzled, that's it! I've never seen you so frazzled before. What's got you acting like such a gloomy gus? Come on, you know you can tell me. I can't stand to see anypony wear a frown, especially not one of my friends."

The unicorn blinked slowly, finally recovering from the shock she'd been dealt earlier. "Oh, forgive me, darling. I've just been so busy running and managing my three boutiques. In fact, just recently, when I by chance payed a visit to Canterlot Carousel, I found poor Sassy Saddles completely swamped with customers. Apparently, it's been like this for quite some time."

"Well, that's a good thing, right? More customers means more money," Pinkie Pie pointed out. "And that means your boutiques can stay in business. It was your dream come true, remember?"

Rarity nodded quite slowly. "Yes, only now it's starting to feel more like a nightmare. I had no idea the workload was getting so bad. My opening of a third boutique was supposed to help lighten the burden of my other boutiques, not make it heavier," And she admitted. "It seems that between that and the problems I had getting Rarity For You opened on time, things are getting out of hoof. I can barely keep up with the demand. I was beginning to think I might have to give up on operating Carousel Boutique, and just spend all my time overseeing the chain to keep up."

Pinkie gasped as her blue eyes went wide, then firmly locked onto Rarity's own blue eyes! "Rarity, how could you even think that?! Without you, who could possibly be expected to run Carousel Boutique?!"

At that the fashionista's face slowly began to morph into a smile as an idea came to her. "Actually, why not you?"

"What?! Me?!" The pink party pony took a step back, wondering if she'd misheard somehow.

The fashionista unicorn just nodded. "Why not? I've seen for myself how fantastic your handling of business is. After all, I assume you've been managing this huge crowd by yourself, seeing as I haven't seen Mr. or Mrs. Cake anywhere."

Pinkie admitted. "Well, Mr. Cake is out buying more supplies 'cause we're running low. And Mrs. Cake decided to go with him and take the twins. She said I needed a break from always having to foalsit them," She sighed and took a deep breath. "Can you believe they're actually in potty training now? They're growing up so fast I can hardly believe it! Next thing you know, they'll be going off to kindergarten."

"Yes, it's amazing how much time seems to fly these days," Rarity agreed. "All the more reason why I could use a pony with such a keen eye for business. And after what I've seen of you in action, I'm thoroughly convinced you'd make an excellent business partner. You're just the sort of pony I could trust to take over from me in running Carousel Boutique."

The pink party pony nervously gulped. "I don't know, Rarity. I can't remember the last time I ever touched a sewing needle. Besides, running a boutique isn't exactly like running a bakery."

Rarity giggled and waved a hoof. "Oh, don't be so modest, darling. I'm sure you could do it if you set your mind to it. It would give you a stable job for whenever your apprenticeship with the Cakes inevitably comes to an end. You'll have to graduate from their tutorship sooner or later, won't you?"

"Well... yes... but..." Pinkie tried to think of a good counter-argument.

The unicorn mare simply adjusted her mane and tail before encouraging. "Just think about it for a while, darling. It is a very important decision, after all. I wouldn't want you to feel rushed into deciding before you were ready. And don't worry, it's not like I'd throw you right into the thick of it on day one. I'd be more than happy to take you under my wing and teach you everything I know about how to make it in the fashion business," Then she stood up. "You'd really save me a lot of trouble if you agreed, though," And after waving a hoof, she departed. "I think I've held you up long enough, Pinkie. Goodbye."

Pinkie Pie watched Rarity slowly disappear through the bakery's front door. All the while she slowly blinked and tried to process the proposal presented to her: Her, going from working in a bakery to running a boutique? Could she really make it work?


When Rarity returned to Canterlot the next day, she was practically bursting with contagious excitement! An excitement that struck many of the city's residences as odd. Such outward displays of joy from Rarity of all ponies was not something they were used to seeing.

Soon, the fashionista came strolling in through the front door of Canterlot Carousel. And immediately, she shouted to her fellow unicorn! "Sassy Saddles, I've just had the most brilliant idea ever! It's sure to solve our problems!"

Sassy Saddles blinked slowly. "What is it, Rarity?"

Rarity wasted no time in declaring. "I've found the perfect candidate to entrust with running Carousel Boutique. A pony whose skill and talent for business rivals even my own:" Taking a deep breath, she declared. "Pinkie Pie!"

"WHAT?!" Sassy exclaimed in sheer disbelief! "Rarity, you can't possibly be serious! Pinkie Pie?!"

The fashionista unicorn happily nodded. "Indeed, Sassy. If you had seen her in action at Sugarcube Corner the other day, you'd understand. She could perform complex calculations in her head in the blink of an eye, tend to customers like nopony's business, and all the while making sure the sweets were as delicious as could be. And you can't deny, she has a knack for knowing how to make other ponies smile. Such skills have me convinced she would take to the fashion business like a duck to water."

Sassy wasn't so sure. "But... she's never set hoof into a boutique except to try on a dress. I don't think I've ever seen her with a sewing needle or a sewing machine," She saw fit to question her boss and fellow unicorn. "Are you sure she'd be such a good fit?"

The unicorn mare with a pristine white coat nodded back with confidence. "I know it's an out there pick. But it isn't one I would make unless I was absolutely confident it was a good one."

Still, Sassy seriously objected. "I think maybe you cleared your head a little too much, Rarity. This busy season, this surge of customers we're now facing at the boutiques, it'll pass. We can handle the crush. Taking on another business partner right now doesn't sound like a very... well... sound idea."

"It can't hurt to at least try," Rarity replied and proposed. "Besides, I'm not going to just have her take over and that'll be the end of it. I'm of course going to make sure she's well trained and well suited. And I know just the way to make sure she'll fit in, that boutique managing will be right up her alley," She used her magic to float over a flyer. "Fancy Pants is giving some business seminars here in Canterlot, teaching all the ins and out of industry. Among them are classes dealing with fashion."

"And?" Sassy Saddles asked.

"And," Rarity explained. "I know for a fact that Pinkie Pie will be here in town when those seminars are taking place. She'll be in town with the Cakes as they tend to an important catering event. It just so happens that the catering is for the seminars. So she's already all but signed up for them. With a little salesponyship, I'm sure I can get her to attend the seminars. And that'll be the perfect opportunity for me to see if it'll all work out."

Sensing that her boss was quite serious about this idea, Sassy reluctantly relented. "Well, I guess it can't hurt to give her a try. Maybe you know something I don't. After all," She admitted with a hint of guilt in her voice. "I have been wrong before."

The fashionista flashed a smile so big and so bright it could've been mistaken for one of Pinkie Pie's signature smiles.
Exactly! Glad you're seeing it my way, Sassy," And beaming from ear to ear, she proudly proclaimed! "Oh, I just know this is going to work! Pinkie Pie's sure to blow everypony away at those seminars with her knowledge of business!"


The day of the first seminar arrived swiftly soon after Rarity had set her plan into motion. She never gave a thought to the idea that it might not work out. Yes, there was no guarantee. But she was so confident of success that she saw no need to imagine the alternative.

Just as the fashionista had expected, Pinkie Pie initially arrived at the seminar's location: The private gardens around the courtyard of the royal castle. She was already counting off and listing dessert after dessert, while going down a list and licking her lips: "Chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, triple chocolate fudge, chocolate brownies with nuts, cream pies, blueberry pies, cherry pies, chocolate fondue, pudding, and of course the return of the prize winning Marzipan Mascarpone Meringue Madness a.k.a The MMMM!"

"This has to be the biggest catering order we've ever had," Mrs. Cake commented. "I just hope everypony likes what we have to offer."

Pinkie waved a hoof. "Relax, Mrs. Cake. Sugarcube Corner makes the best desserts in all of Equestria! No bakery could ever compare! All of Canterlot knows it," And she smiled. "And just think, with the money we're sure to make, the twins' future will be secure forever! They'll be able to attend the best colleges in all of Equestria, and there'll still be money left over to make renovations to Sugarcube Corner if we need to."

Mr. Cake was quick to caution. "If we get paid, Pinkie. So let's make sure our culinary salesponyship is up to par. We need to be on our best beahvior," Looking to Pound and Pumpkin Cake he then cautioned. "That means you too, Pound and Pumpkin. No flying or using magic to scare customers. These Canterlot ponies can be very uptight."

The twins giggled, but seemed to understand what their father was telling them.

Just then, out of the corner of her beautiful blue eyes, Pinkie Pie saw Rarity come trotting over. "Ah, we're in luck! It looks like we have our first customer already," She clapped her hooves while trying to contain her excitement. "Come on, places everypony! I just hope I remember those lessons on how to be fancy that I practiced."

Yet Rarity didn't bother to look at any of the desserts, as tempeting as the aromas wafting from them might have been. Instead, she approached her party planning friend. "Ah, Pinkie, you're just in time."

"In time for what?" Pinkie pondered, forgetting all about her efforts to try to be fancy. "I thought the seminars didn't get a meal break for another hour? Sugarcube Corner provides the desserts."

The fashionista unicorn giggled as a cheeky grin spread across her face. "I know that. I'm not here for the desserts, I'm here for you. I would hate for the seminars to start without you. Even Fancy Pants would argue that it's not good to be 'fashionably late' for your first lesson."

Right then and there, it dawned on the pink coated earth pony what Rarity was proposing. "What? You want me to attend those... those... whatever they are? I thought you were going to tutor and mentor me personally, like you did with Coco?"

"Normally that would be the case," Rairty pointed out. "If not for the fact that you already know so much about business and what it takes to run one. These little seminars are covering all the ins and outs of the fashion world, including dos and don'ts. You simply cannot hope to miss them if you want to have any chance of making it in the fashion business," Smiling, she grabbed her friend by the hoof. "Come on! We've already wasted enough time just talking about it! Get in there and show 'em what you're made of!"

Before Pinkie could protest, Rarity led her away as the Cakes exchanged looks of confusion and concern.


Once inside the castle proper, Rarity brought Pinkie to an isolated room after rounding one of the corners in the winding corridors. The room had been converted into a make-shift classroom, complete with desks, chairs and a blackboard. Several ponies from various walks of life were already there and had already taken their designated seats. And Fancy Pants stood at the center of the room, holding a metallic pointer in the soft glow of his horn.

"Got room for one more participant?" Rarity inquired of the stallion. "Pinkie Pie here is simply bursting with the chance to show you what she's made of!"

Fancy Pants blinked, as did as all the other ponies currently in attendance at the make-shift classroom. "Miss. Rarity, with all due respect, are you sure you really want Miss. Pie of all ponies to be here?" She questioned her. "I know you've made decisions in the past that hardly seem like they should've worked, and they've turned out alright in the end. But even I must question your judgement on this one."

But Pinkie Pie managed to pluck up enough courage to trot forward and assert. "Hey, Rarity knows her stuff when it comes to business and fashion! If she thinks I deserve to be here, then I deserve to be here!" She puffed out her chest. "I owe it to her to learn as much about fashion as possible. She sees something in me, and right or wrong I think she knows how to bring that out. So I'm attending your little classes, whatever they're called, and that's that!"

Fancy Pants had to adjust his monocle after witnessing such an assertive display. "I must say Miss... er Pinkie Pie, that was... quite commendable how you held your ground just then. Confidence in onself is always important. Having a positive, can do attitude is vital to success in any industry or profession. It means you won't be deterred by failure, you will pick yourself up and try again," With something of a smile he declared. "Very well, I'll admit you into these seminars per Miss. Rarity's blessing."

"Sweet!" Pinkie cheered and bounced into the air, before something came up that sapped all her enthusiasm. "Uh... how much do I owe you for the classes?"

The stallion's smile brightened. "Nonsense, I don't charge for these seminars. They're simply my way of passing on my knowledge. I already make quite enough money as one of Equestria's premiere delegates and diplomats. Only Prince Blueblood outranks me in influence, and he's adopted royalty."

Pinkie breathed a much needed sigh of relief. "Oh, thank goodness. I didn't bring any bits with me because I wasn't expecting to have to pay for anything. Guess I need to start carrying bits with me in case of emergencies. Maybe even establish some bit stashes in case of bit emergencies." She giggled to herself at the thought of adding bit stashes to her many secret stashes needed in case of a particular emergency.


Rarity watched as her pink party pony friend was seated with the rest of Fancy Pants' "students" (for lack of a better term). In her mind she began to think. "Oh Rarity, you are brilliant!" And confident in things to work out, she decided not to stick around for the duration of the seminars. After all, Sassy probably needed help back at Canterlot Carousel.

Pinkie Pie watched Rarity depart and became a bit anxious. With Rarity gone, all eyes were now being drawn to her. She really felt like she stood out for all the wrong reasons. A nagging part of her brain started to think. "I really shouldn't be here!" But she shook her head to dispel such thinking. Rarity believed in her, so Pinkie would trust the unicorn's judgement and see where it led.

Fancy Pants, for his part, simply cleared his throat as he began his lecture. "Well then, let us begin our first lesson of the seminars. It is hoped that you will all learn valuable lessons about the ins and outs of business: Not just as it relates to fashion, but as it relates to any industry or profession. These seminars aim to give you all the keys to succeed wherever life may take you," He began to write something down on the blackboard, and asked. "Now then, what is the golden rule of business that we must all strive to remember?"

To the surprise of all, Pinkie immediately shot up a hoof. And when called upon she answered. "Um, it's 'The customer is always right', right?" She then adopted a sheepish look on her face, wondering if maybe she would've been better off staying silent.

But Fancy Pants simply replied with a few slow blinks. "That is... correct, Miss. Pie," He turned away from the blackboard, revealing that he had written down that very phrase. "It is important to remember that in any business, the customer must be treated to the best quality service we can provide. Everypony should be treated like royalty, whether they are in fact royalty or not. Quality customer service is the key to ensuring that business thrives," He then added. "I daresay, all of you might be able to learn a thing or two from Miss. Pie. Clearly, she has already committed this golden rule to memory."

The pink party pony, however, was more focused on the whispers and murmurs coming from the other ponies (all of whom were much better dressed than to her to boot). They seemed to be looking at her with suspicion, perhaps wondering if she was some sort of means of "testing" them.

"Now then," Fancy Pants spoke up, resuming his lecture to the class. "Let us explore a few examples of successful business enterprises. In particular, we will highlight the recent success of both Canterlot Carousel and Rarity For You. The rapid rise of such businesses provide lessons we can all learn from."

And so the lecture went on, and on, and on and on some more. Pinkie, for her part, tried her best to pay attention to everything that was being spoken. She wrote down whatever she thought was important (which was almost everything), and tried her best to tune out that nagging feeling in the back of her head that told her she didn't belong here. She was doing this for Rarity's sake, she had to give it an honest try.

Eventually, the moncole wearing unicorn stallion ceased in his lecturing. Then, with his magic, he levitated over a huge stack of papers. They were placed on each desk one by one with an audible thud. "I hope you've all been paying attention to what I have said," He informed the others. "Because now you will be expected to demonstrate your knowledge. These exams present you with hypothetical business scenarios that you might face. In each one, your goal is to demonstrate how you would make such a business successful. And the better you explain your reasoning, the better your score will be."

Hesitant and nervous though she was, Pinkie Pie nevertheless prepared herself to take this "exam". She could do this! She had to do this! Rarity was surely counting on her to get a good score.

Fancy Pants levitated over a finely decorated gold pocketwatch as he instructed. "You have fifteen minutes to complete the exam to the best of your ability. Points will be deducted for every question you leave unanswered. But remember, this is not a race. There are almost twice as many minutes as there are questions. You may begin: Now!" And soon, the sound of pens and pencils frantically writing on white sheets of paper could be heard filling the air.

The pink party pony perspired ever so slightly as she looked at the exam. Question after question was full of terms and phrases that were starting to blur and jumble together. She tried to focus, tried to concentrate. But it had been a while since she'd had anything to eat, so her stomach was starting to rumble a bit. Oh, why did the exam have to be now? Why couldn't it have waited until after she and the other ponies were enjoying the catering she'd helped the Cakes to provide?

It was on the subject of the Cakes that Pinkie's mind began to wander. She began thinking of Mr. Cake, Mrs. Cake and the twins. She started thinking about all the fond memories she had of being part of their family, of working in their bakery from the time she was just a filly. So many memories came flooding back to her as she recalled how she'd been right in her element there. Back then, learning about business had just been a fun little extra she learned to keep customers happy. And she could learn at her own pace.

So it was that Pinkie Pie began to realize what she had to do, where she truly belonged. She set her pencil and pen down, stood up from her desk and without saying a word she zoomed out of the make-shift classroom as fast as she could!

Fancy Pants seemed to briefly frown at the display he saw from Pinkie, before ultimately shrugging his hooves. "I suppose she will be stricken from the courses, from all subsequent seminars." He said to himself in an indiffirent tone, then turned back to watching his pocketwatch. Oh well, one less "student" hardly made a difference as far as he was concerned.


The pink party pony plowed ahead as fast as her hooves would let her! She had to get back to the Cakes, she just had to! Rarity would understand.

As luck and fate would have it, Rarity was with the Cakes out in the castle courtyard. Apparently, she was in the middle of a conversation with them, having forgotten all about going back to her boutique.

When Pinkie skidded to a halt a short time later, she swallowed a lump in her throat as her eyes fell upon Rarity. She had hoped to have this conversation at a much later date. Alas, it had to happen now.

Rarity turned around, locking eyes with Pinkie Pie while bearing the most unusual expression upon her face. She didn't seem to be smiling, but at the same time it couldn't exactly be said that she was frowning. "Oh, Pinkie Pie. The Cakes and I were just talking about you, actually. They've been telling me how helpful of an apprentice you've been at Sugarcube Corner, all the while you've juggled your responsibilities as a go-to foalsitter and party planner."

Pinkie gulped, trying not to look guilty. "Rarity, I'm sorry! I just can't get into that business stuff, not even for you!"

The fashionista blinked slowly, appearing to not be surprised. "Oh, that's quite alright, Pinkie. After talking it over with the Cakes more, I've come to the conclusion that my decision to give up ownership of Carousel Boutique is very much premature. And not just because of what I've been pressuring you into either."

At that, the earth pony mare with a curly pink mane and tail pondered aloud. "Huh?"

Rarity simply explained in a sweet tone of voice. "Oh, Pinkie, I know I meant well. I truly do believe you have a talent for business, even if you yourself don't recognize it. But I see that you are perfectly happy with your life as it is. You are highly skilled and highly talented in all that you do as it is. Much as I might like to have you in the fashion industry, I see now that it's not where you belong."

Pinkie Pie breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank goodness. That's just what I was about to say, except maybe not with all those big, fancy words," She then willingly admitted. "I tried, Rarity, really. The business stuff I learn, I had to learn in order to help the Cakes. But learning all the ins and outs of business, every little thing there ever is to know about it, it's not for me."

Rarity nodded in approval. "My sentiments exactly, Pinkie Pie. I can't uproot you from what it is that you enjoy doing and are comfortable with. It means a lot to me that you'd undertake it for my sake, but I wouldn't want you to feel unhappy about something. To feel like you had no choice. Everypony should be free to decide for themselves how they want to live. As much as there's nothing wrong with trying something new, one should never feel like they're pressued into doing something just because they're good at it."

Pinkie smiled and gave Rarity a big hug. "Oh, Rarity, you truly are a one of a kind friend!" When the hug ended, however, she then wondered. "So, what are you gonna do about the big crowds at your other boutiques? Aren't you gonna get somepony to help you?"

"Why do you think I was talking to the Cakes earlier?" Rarity said with a wink. "They've agreed to pitch in a little when I need it. Plus, I can always call on Fluttershy if need be. She may not be much of a salespony, but I know for a fact she's comfortable and knows her way around a sewing needle and a sewing machine."

The pink party pony smiled and sighed with relief anew. "Oh, that's good. At least now I won't have to worry about missing out on Pound and Pumpkin Cake growing up. I definitely wanna be there for that!"