• Published 23rd Apr 2023
  • 773 Views, 28 Comments

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic What If?: Volume 16 - SuperPinkBrony12



The sixteenth installment of What If series that involves the rewriting of episodes. Twelve episodes from across all nine seasons are included this time around, including redos and bonus chapters. (Warning!: Rewrites based on personal opinion.)

  • ...
3
 28
 773

S9 E15: 2, 4, 6, Greaaat (What If?) (Bonus Chapter)

Author's Note:

For those of you who don't know, a bonus chapter is when a character or characters not present in the original version of the episode take center stage in the rewrite. While Silverstream probably could be added to the original plot (if anything, her absence feels weird given her personality feels like it was tailor made to fit cheerleading), I don't think that would go far enough to fix the episode's problems.

The original version of this episode is pretty bad almost from the get go. Even its premise feels sketchy: Rainbow Dash being asked to coach the School of Friendship's cheerleading team rather than its buckball team. And the episode proceeds to be one of Rainbow's worst showings, down to her making no effort to actually coach and blaiming the students when they fail. And in the end, the premise is revealed to have been orchestrated by Twilight because she thought Rainbow needed to learn to appreciate cheerleading (for reasons never explained).

For Rainbow Dash's last solo focus episode and her second to last focus episode of not just Season 9 but also the entire show, I feel like it goes without saying that she deserved much better. As such, I decided to scrap the original premise and shift the focus to what we saw briefly at the beginning of "Uprooted": Silverstream's apparent aspirations to be part of the Wonderbolts.

I feel like such a premise could work not unlike "She's All Yak" tried to do for Rarity, and let us see a member of the mane six actually teaching one of the student six. Plus, Season 9 didn't do anything at all with the Wonderbolts, which I feel was a huge waste considering Rainbow Dash would become their captain in the time skip in "The Last Problem". The Wonderbolts really needed one last chance to shine, and to hopefully look good. Hence, the bonus chapter.

Yes, I know I wrote a fanfic all the way back in 2019 about Silverstream wanting to join the Wonderbolts. But that fic consisted entirely of her racing against Flash Magnus. So my intentions here are to do something different, use more of the actual Wonderbolts and have Silverstream go through the same trials that any other recruit would have to face if they wanted to try out.

Sonic Rainboom
The Tortoise and the Mare (May the Best Pet Win)
Magic Duel (Redo)
Princess Twilight Sparkle Parts 1 and 2
Rarity Investigates! (Redo)
Flutter Brutter
Serious Business (P.P.O.V. (Pony Point of View))
Rock Solid Friendship
The Hearth's Warming Club
2, 4, 6, Greaaat (Bonus Chapter)
She Talks to Angel

Silverstream didn't know when she had first developed this interest in the Wonderbolts. True, she'd heard Professor Rainbow Dash talk about (and practically gush about) them several times in either loyalty or gym class. It was only natural when the professor was herself a part-time member of the elite flyers, and one of their most popular additions in recent memory.

But at first, Silverstream hadn't thought much of them. They sounded good, and she assumed they were every bit as amazing as her professor said they were. But it wasn't until she actually saw the Wonderbolts in action for the first time that she truly came to admire and appreciate them. Attending one of their Ponyville shows when Rainbow Dash was flying with them, it was a sight to behold!

The stands in the stadium were packed: Rainbow Dash's fan club had shown up in full force, as had her parents (who were all too happy to cheer their "Little Dashie" on). And many of Silverstream's fellow students, including the ones with whom she was close friends, were in attendance as well. As a matter of fact, many of the teachers and staff at the School of Friendship had shown up to this show.

Then, with a loud roar and a thundering "whoosh", the Wonderbolts soared and swooped down from above! They began to perform all sorts of flips, spins, dives and other aerial tricks that dazzled and amazed! Silverstream had never seen this kind of performance flying before, she was absolutely mesmerized!

Eventually, the show ended with Rainbow Dash pulling off a move for which she had become famous: A sonic rainboom! A thundering burst of color in a shockwave pattern split the sky as Rainbow zoomed past at lightning speed! The crowds clapped, cheered and stomped their hooves (or other extremities for those that had no hooves)!

"Okay, I'll admit it, I'm impressed," Gallus said after the show was over as he and his friends were leaving the stands. "Professor Egghead... I mean Rainbow Dash wasn't kidding when she said the Wonderbolts were an awesome team!"

"I told you so!" Sandbar proudly boasted with a smug grin. "Can you believe they also perform daring rescues all over Equestria? Heck, I heard they got to compete in the Equestria Games a few years back. Oh, I wish I could've seen that!"

Smolder simply replied. "Hey, it's because of them we got a day off from school. So, I can't complain."

Silverstream, for her part, simply couldn't keep from gushing on and on about... well... everything! "That was just so... so... I don't even know how to describe it! It was just the best thing ever!" She excitedly chirped! "I wish we had something like them back on Mount Aris, we'd probably see them all the time at the 'Glad To Be a Hippogriff Festival' Dad's always hosting."

Ocellus then protested. "But they don't have anything like the Wonderbolts outside Equestria. And I don't see that changing anytime soon."

The young hippogriff frowned upon hearing the news. "Aw, that's a bummer. The Wonderbolts are so incredible! I think anywhere would be lucky to have something like them! All the cool things they do, all the amazing tricks they pull, and they even rescue ponies when they're in danger. They're heroes!"

From that time onward, Silverstream found that she simply couldn't get the Wonderbolts out of her mind no matter how hard she tried. And in her dreams, she began to dream about being asked to join them, flying alongside them in those simply stunning navy blue flight jackets they always proudly wore.

Eventually, Silverstream came to the conclusion that there was only one thing to do. The only way she was going to be able to satisfy her desire, and that was to make her dream a reality. "Somehow, someway, I'm going to become a Wonderbolt!" She vowed one night as she lay awake in bed. "I'll do whatever it takes!"

And so the young hippogriff was determined to find a way to join the Wonderbolts' ranks, even though she didn't know how exactly she would do that. One way or another, she was going to join with those elite flyers considered to be Cloudsdale's finest.

Little did the pink coated hippogriff know where her dream and desire would take her. Little did she know just how difficult it was going to be for her as the first ever non-pony to even try out for the Wonderbolts. There was a lot more to joining them than she might have realized, and the obstacles would not be easy to overcome.

Once her mind had been made up, Silverstream wasted very little time in trying to put thought to action. The very morning after deciding she would make her dream come true, she strolled right into the headmare's office. She was convinced this was a problem only the school's headmare could help solve.

Immediately, Silverstream deployed her demand on Headmare Twilight "How do I go about joining the Wonderbolts? What do I have to do, Headmare Twilight? Come on, lay it on me. Whatever I have to do, I'll do it! I can make up any school work I'll have to miss as a result. Now tell me, what's the first step?!"

Twilight blinked slowly. Even though she'd gotten used to the hippogriff/seapony's constant mile a minute questioning, pondering and overall curiosity, this demand still took her by surprise. "The Wonderbolts? Why are you asking me about them?"

"Because Professor Rainbow Dash is a teacher here, and she flies with the Wonderbolts!" The hippogriff explained! "I've seen her do it multiple times! Surely, you must know how she was able to get into their ranks."

Twilight could only shake her head. "I'm afraid I can't really explain it in detail, Silverstream. It was a process that took years and years. I'd even say that Rainbow Dash was kind of lucky for all the opportunities she got. Not many ponies would have the kind of chances she was given."

At that Silverstream stumbled back. "Are you saying my dream is impossible? That I'll never be able to become a Wonderbolt?!"

Twilight protested. "I'm not saying that at all, Silverstream. I'm really not the best pony to ask about this: I don't know all the ins and outs of being a Wonderbolt. I don't know the details of how they run their team," And she added. "Plus, I'm not going to be headmare for much longer. I won't be around here to answer your questions at school. That's why I'm working on designating a successor."

The hippogriff only shook her head from side to side. "Come on, Headmare Twilight! You've gotta know something! Anything at all would be helpful!" She flew up to the desk and put her paws on it! "Please! You don't know how much this means to me! I'm desperate! I wanna be a hero just like the Wonderbolts! Fly all day long, be admired and do really cool things just like them!"

The young alicorn sighed. "Listen, Silverstream. I admire your courage and passion. You've been one of the most promising students here at this school since it opened," She put a hoof to her chin. "If you really wanna know more about the Wonderbolts and how to join them, you should talk to Rainbow Dash. Or, failing that, ask the Wonderbolts themselves."

"And where can I find them?" Silverstream asked with a mix of curiosity and excitement.

Twilight replied. "Well, right now, The Wonderbolts and Rainbow Dash are up at their private academy near Cloudsdale. It's almost the end of spring training, after all. But..."

"Great!" The hippogriff excitedly chirped and dashed away! "Thank you, Headmare Twilight!"

"Silverstream, wait!" Twilight tried to call, only to be ignored. She sighed, looking down at her desk. "Oh, I hope she doesn't cause any trouble at the academy. I really don't need Spitfire breathing down my neck, I've got enough worrying me as it is."


After a little bit of asking around town, Silverstream was able to obtain rough directions that led her straight to the Wonderbolts' Academy. She could hardly wait to meet them, they sounded so incredible from the way everypony talked about them! And once she got to know them, it was only a matter of time until she would be officially joining their ranks.

Already, Silverstream was picturing herself in that navy blue flight suit, flying alongside Rainbow Dash and the other Wonderbolts as they performed for crowds of countless size. She could also picture herself springing into action, flying to the distant corners of Equestria (and perhaps beyond) on daring rescues.

At last, the academy runway came into view. And with a flap of her wings, the hippogriff with pretty pink feathers flew down for a landing. She came to a stop right on the runway, her eyes taking in the sights as the academy itself in all its glory now stood out to her in bold detail. "Oh my gosh! This is a dream come true already!" The hippogriff gushed, putting her paws up to her face! "Oh, if only Mom, Dad and Terramar could see me now! They'd be so proud of me, I just know it!"

Just then, a pegasus mare with a brilliant gold coat and a mane and tail two shades of a firey orange came trotting out. She was wearing a dark blue jacket with the Wonderbolts' logo stitched onto the left side. It was decorated with yellow and red buttons. Her eyes were hidden behind a pair of sunglasses with dark purple shades and bluish-green frames. Around her neck rested a whistle, tied with a red string. Lifting up her shades, her strong orange eyes took notice of the unexpected visitor in the middle of the runway. And she immediately frowned as she hollored! "Hey you! What are you doing here?!"

Silverstream jumped and spun around, locking eyes with the pegasus pony! Then she let out an excited squeal as she gasped! "Oh my gosh! I know you! You're Captain Spitfire, right?! Professor Rainbow Dash told me about you."

"What? Crash told you about me?" Spitfire questioned as she trotted over to the hippogriff. "Explain yourself this instant, young lady! I'll have you know, trespassing on academy grounds is a serious violation. We don't allow civilians here without prior permission. So unless you wanna see a huge fine, I suggest you leave right now!"

But Silverstream protested! "But I want to be here! I wanna join your team! I wanna be a Wonderbolt, just like you! Pretty please with a cherry on top?" And she adopted the best pleading pose she could muster up.

Spitfire groaned. "Look, can we talk about this somewhere else? You need to get off the runway right now, before you cause an accident!"

The hippogriff nodded and obeyed, following Spitfire off to one side of the academy and away from the runway that ran right down the middle of the facility (which was itself on a slab of floating land). "Sorry about that, Captain Spitfire," She sincerely apologized. "I didn't mean to cause any trouble."

The captain simply sighed. "What do you want? Are you here for an autograph? Because I don't give out autographs while at the academy. I only do it at shows."

Silverstream just reiterated. "I want to join the team. I wanna be a Wonderbolt! How do I do it?"

"Oh, that's what this is about?" Spitfire asked, sounding sincerely surprised by the statement. "Aren't you a little young to be trying out for something like this? You're still just a kid."

Silverstream puffed out her chest as she proudly proclaimed! "I'm not 'just a kid'! I'm one of the students who saved all of Equestria. And I'm also the niece of Queen Novo, ruler of the kingdoms of Mount Aris and Seaquestria."

At that the pegasus pony's strong orange eyes went wide. "Wait, you're realted to royalty?!" Upon receiving a confirming nod, she sighed. "Well, that just makes things more difficult. I don't need the Wonderbolts getting tangled up in an international incident."

The hippogriff just replied. "Oh, don't worry. My Aunt Novo already gave me permission to be here in Equestria. I'm not doing this because of her, I'm doing this because of me. Ever since I saw you flying with Professor Rainbow Dash, you're all I can think about."

Spitfire adjusted her shades. "And you want me to give you a spot on the team?"

"Or at least let me try out for one," Silverstream pleaded. "I'll do anything. I don't mind starting out as a newbie, being on the bottom of the totem pole. I won't even make a fuss if I get mess hall or bathroom duty."

The captain only groaned anew. "Kid, listen, we don't have any openings on the team right now. And even if we did, we couldn't just give you a spot because you asked for one. We're not a volunteer organization. We're a professional, organized team. We are highy skilled and tasked with very important responsibilities. I appreciate your enthusiasm, really. But you need to leave. Maybe in a few years if you still wanna be a Wonderbolt, we can see about letting you try out for a spot in the reserves, if you can pass the test."

Just then, who should come walking (or rather flying) up on the scene but Rainbow Dash herself? She was wearing her full body flight suit, and upon seeing Silverstream chatting with Spitfire she knew something was up. She swooped down and initiated an abrupt emergency landing, then trotted over to her captain. "Hey, what's going on?"

Spitfire let out a sigh, turning to Rainbow Dash. "You recognize this kid, Dash? She says she's one of your students, and she's here to try out for a spot on the team. She's quite insistent and persistent. She just won't take no for an answer."

Silverstream excitedly chirped! "Come on, Professor Rainbow Dash! You gotta let me join! I'm one of your best students, aren't I?"

Rainbow sighed herself, putting a hoof to her forehead. "Silverstream, I don't know what's gotten into your head, but you can't be here. You shouldn't be here. You're just gonna get me into trouble. Even I can't bend the rules for you, not unless I want Spitfire to demote me and put me on permanent mess hall duty."

The hippogriff tried to protest. "But Professor-"

Rainbow Dash simply shook her head in disapproval. "-It's over, Silverstream. My decision is final. Now you need to get back to school, your education should be more important than any dream you have."

Silverstream refused to obey the command. "Come on! You don't understand! I have to do this! After all you've ever told me about the Wonderbolts, after all the performances I've seen with you as part of them, how can I just sit on the sidelines?! If I have to go through the academy, that's what I'll do! I'm not afraid of any trials or tests I have to face. It can't be any worse than anything I've already faced since I came to Equestria."

The rainbow maned pegasus groaned. Silverstream was stubborn beyond all reason, it seemed. "Give me a minute or two," She insisted to the hippogriff. "I'll see if I can't work something out with Spitfire. No promises, though. If she says no, that's the end of it."

"Okay, but don't keep me waiting," Silverstream chirped. "I'm ready to do whatever I have to do! I'll be strong, bold and brave, like a good Wonderbolt should be."

"I admire your spirit, but it takes more than spirit to be a Wonderbolt. Trust me, I speak from experience," Rainbow replied, before flying back over to Spitfire. She sincerely apologized to her superior. "I'm sorry, captain, really. I know you're not exactly good with kids."

Spitfire snorted and in an unamused tone retorted. "Don't remind me."

The brash speedster then pleaded. "But can't we work something out? I know we can't justify giving her a spot on the team, but surely there's at least a place on the reserves for her, right? You have to admit, our ranks could be expanded a little."

The young captain just replied. "Rules are rules, Rainbow Dash. You know that as well as I do. If I just granted exceptions whenever I felt like it, there would be no rules. If you ever become captain of the team someday, I'm sure you'll understand."

Rainbow insisted on pressing the issue. "Come on, just this once? Isn't there some way for us to test her while giving her a chance to see what it's really like to be a Wonderbolt? Don't we owe it to her and to all of Equestria to set a good example? We both know there's other organizations out there that would try to take advantage of her enthusiasm for us if we turn her down."

Reluctantly, Spitfire relented after some silent contemplation. "... Fine, I guess we can put her through the paces recruits go through during trials week at the academy. That should give us a good idea of whether she truly could be one of us," She was quick to warn. "But she's your responsibility, Rainbow Dash! You make sure to keep an eye on her and keep her out of trouble. I don't wanna have to deal with a lot of paperwork if something happens to her here. And trust me, if she is indeed of royal blood like she claims, there will be paperwork if she gets into any kind of trouble."

Rainbow Dash was quick to agree and promise. "Don't worry, captain, I'll make sure to keep her enthusiasm in check. You won't regret this, I swear!"

"Let's hope so for both our sakes," Spitfire commented, and then gave a whistle to get Silverstream's attention. "Hey, kid, over here!"

"The name's Silverstream, ma'am!" Silverstream shot off a quick and energetic salute. "So, what have you decided? Do I get to try out?"

The pegasus pony with a brilliant gold coat nodded her head very slowly. "In a way, yes. I've been... convinced to let you go through what most recruits get if we take interest in them: Trials week here at the academy."

"Ooh! I get to be here for a whole week?!" The hippogriff excitedly exclaimed as her eyes began to widen!

Spitfire gestured a hoof. "Curb your enthusaism, kid. We're not gonna be able to do everything we usually do at trials week. For one thing, you don't have a partner, a wingpony."

"No problem!" Silverstream insisted. "I'm sure I can find somepony to fill that role."

Spitfire frowned. "You don't get to choose, wingponies are decided during trials week after everypony's been tested individually. Since you're gonna be the only one trying out, all the team exercises will not be necessary. We're just going to test you as an individual," And she explained. "And just because we're letting you try out doesn't mean we're guaranteeing you a spot. At best, we might be willing to waive the requirements for the reserves, if your family agrees. But that's about as far as we can go with you for now. You're still a minor, after all."

Silverstream just happily replied. "Oh, that's okay. As long as I get to be part of the team in any way, I'll be good," Then she asked. "Now, what do I have to do first? What's my first test? Do I need to bring a pencil and paper?"

Rainbow seemed to be holding back a smirk. "Not exactly, rookie. These will be different kinds of tests, not like the ones you're used to taking at school. Think of this as like my gym classes, but on a much more personal level."


Silverstream was soon brought before a huge contraption that resembled a giant disk tied to a long, heavy, metal board of some kind. Attached to the giant disk was some sort of small strap that could be fastened and unfastened by a single pony.

To Silverstream's surprise, a pegasus stallion with a light blue coat and a very dark blue mane and tail was standing by the huge contraption. "You sure got guts, kid," The stallion told her. "You might just be the youngest recruit we've ever had for the Wonderbolts. Most recruits are usually fresh out of high school or college before we ever get to 'em."

Rainbow Dash explained to the slightly bewildered hippogriff. "Don't look so surprised, Silverstream. This is none other than Soarin, the Wonderbolts' second-in-command."

Soarin nodded. "Usually, Spitfire would be the one to oversee every part of the trials week trials. But since this is a special occasion, she's decided to do things a little differently and let some of the other team members pitch in," He then proudly gestured a hoof to the large contraption behind him. "This here is our patented spin-out simulator known as the Dizzitron. Trust me, it more than lives up to its name."

Rainbow reassured Silverstream. "Don't worry, we've put it on its lowest setting, like we always do for first timers. Only one recruit's ever been bold enough to push beyond that from the start. But don't try to push your limits, we're keeping it on the lowest setting and that's final."

The hippogriff somewhat nervously asked. "What... do I have to do?"

Soarin smiled and spoke in a gentle tone of voice. "It's simple: Just strap in and hold on tight. We're gonna spin you around until you're nice and dizzy, then we'll release and time how long it takes you to recover from your spin-out. The faster you can land on the runway, the better your score will be," With a chuckle, he added. "I'll be impressed if you can beat my record of ten seconds. Most recruits are lucky if they can manage fifteen seconds or less on their first go."

Silverstream approached the Dizzitron and climbed into the seat on the right side of it. "Okay, I think I'm ready." She said as she took a few deep breaths.

"Wait a minute!" Soarin nearly gasped! "I almost forgot something!" And he hastily instructed. "Wait right there, I'll be right back!" And with a flap of his wings he took off.

With Soarin gone, Silverstream hurridly whispered to Rainbow Dash. "Hey, Professor."

Rainbow trotted over. "What is it?" She asked the hippogriff.

Gesturing a paw to a small knob down to the right and almost hidden from view, Silverstream pleaded with her professor. "Can you turn it up a setting? Please?"

Rainbow Dash was, understandably, hesitant to do so. "I don't think that's a very good idea, Silverstream. You might crash. And I promised Spitfire I'd look out for you, I don't need you getting hurt and getting all the Wonderbolts in trouble."

But Silverstream insisted. "You had no trouble at all with it on its lowest setting, you set an academy record. I wanna know what I'm truly capable of, and the only way to do that is to be tested like a true Wonderbolt. So just up the setting by one, it'll just be our little secret. Plus, that way I know I won't be breaking your record."

Reluctantly, Rainbow bent down and turned the knob, raising the Dizzitron's setting by one level. "Okay, but it's only this once. You're not getting anymore favors from me." She whispered, and then returned to her post just before Soarin returned, holding out a well worn, dusty old flight jacket.

Soarin tossed said flight jacket to Silverstream. "Sorry, I couldn't find any of the usual academy vests we give out during trials week. This is one of our old flight jackets from a time before Spitfire was captain. Put it on and be quick about it. You'll want to have something protecting your body against all the g-forces you'll be exposed to. Plus, the goggles might come in handy."

Silverstream grabbed the flight jacket and clumsily (and sloppily) put it on to the best of her ability. "It's so..." She paused, trying to think of a good word. "...Musty."

The pegasus stallion apologized. "Sorry, best I could do on short notice," Then after strapping the hippogriff into her seat and making sure she was secure, he went over to the lever used to operate the Dizzitron. "Ready?" He asked her.

The pink coated hippogriff nodded and swallowed hard. "Ready."

"Okay, hold on tight!" Soarin instructed, and pulled on the lever, setting the Dizzitron into motion! It began to spin, slowly at first, then faster and faster!

Silverstream shut her eyes as her whole world began spinning!

Rainbow Dash watched as Silverstream quickly became a pink blur around the outside of the Dizzitron, trying her best to keep track of her student's movement and position.

Eventually, Soarin pulled back on the lever, and the Dizzitron ejected its passenger into the air! Then he clicked a stop watch that began to tick, counting off the seconds as they flew by.

Surprisingly, Silverstream swooped and slowed to a stop almost instantly after she'd opened her eyes. "H-how was t-that?" She panted as she tried to shake off her disorientation.

Soarin looked down at the stop watch and eyed it carefully. "Woah! Ten seconds exactly!" He exclaimed! "Great job, kid! For a first timer, that's a pretty impressive score. Only two recruits in the entire history of the Wonderbolts have ever topped that."

The hippogriff just flashed a smile as she finally shook off her dizzy spell. "Well, that was pretty fun! Can I do it again?! Can I?! Can I?!"

"No no," Soarin chuckled again. "Once is enough, kid. No need to overdo it. But you're definitely Dash's student, only she could train another creature to be almost as good as her from the get go."

Rainbow Dash, meanwhile, breathed a sigh of relief. So far, everything seemed to be okay.


A pegasus mare with an arctic blue coat and a white mane and tail that looked like they had been blown back by a strong wind was on hoof to oversee Silverstream's next trial. "So, you think you're pretty fast, huh kid?" She said with a smirk. "You think you're hot stuff because you could tie Soarin's record on the Dizzitron?"

Silverstream, suspecting nothing, nodded quite firmly. "Oh yes. And I did it on a higher settting than he did. So that gives me extra points, right?"

Rainbow Dash groaned and put a hoof to her forehead. She couldn't believe Silverstream had just blabbed out a secret like that.

If Fleetfoot was at all surprised by Silverstream's confession, she didn't show it outwardly as she instead grinned. "Heh, I'm not surprised. Soarin's not really known for his speed, it's a miracle he got such a good time on the Dizzitron on its lowest setting. At the higher settings, he all but wiped out. Me, on the other hoof," She proudly pointed a wing at her chest. "Speed is what I'm all about. Of course, it takes more than speed to be a Wonderbolt. Being fast isn't enough, you need to be fast in all the right places."

Silverstream shot a confused look at the mare. "What do you mean by that? Am I supposed to race you now, or something?"

"Think of it as an obstacle course of sorts," Fleetfoot explained as she then pointed a hoof upward. "We've got an entire hazardous weather course set up just for you. As a potential Wonderbolt, you need to be able to adapt to rapidly changing situations, and that includes flying through adverse weather conditions: Lightning, hail, rain, you name it."

The hippogriff gulped a bit, lightning and rain reminded her an awful lot of the Storm King. True, she had gotten over her fear of him (thanks to Gallus), but that didn't mean she wasn't still uneased by anything that could remind her of him. She did her best to swallow that gulp and not look intimidated.

But Fleetfoot seemed to sense Silverstream's anxiety as she wrapped a wing around the hippogriff. "Hey, it's okay if you're a little nervous, kid. It happens to the best of us. Just don't let it get to you. I'm not expecting you to beat me, hardly anypony's a match for me in any weather. Just do your best. I wanna see if you're as good as Spitfire and Soarin are making you out to be. Plus, this gives me a chance to try out some new moves."

"Well, don't hold back on me!" Silverstream insisted as a look of firey determination began to blaze in her eyes. "... Because, I'm not gonna hold anything back against you!"

The pegasus mare with a light arctic blue coat snickered. "You've got guts, kid. But let's see if you can put your money where your mouth is!" And she flew off to the obstacle course's starting line. "I'm ready whenever you are. May the best creature win."

Before the hippogriff could take off to meet up with Fleetfoot, Rainbow approached and pulled the pink feathered hippogriff aside. "Hey, you gonna be okay?" She inquired with concern. "I know fear when I see it, and you're definitely afraid of something."

Silverstream just shook her head from side to side. "I'm not gonna let fear control me! I'm going to be brave, just like you, Professor Rainbow Dash!"

"Even I get afraid from time to time," Rainbow confessed. "And trust me, I've learned the hard way that holding onto your fears is never good. Forcing yourself to face your fears may sound brave, but don't confuse bravery with recklessness."

Silverstream just huffed, and puffed out her chest. "I may be afraid, but the only way I'll ever know if I've got what it takes to be a Wonderbolt is if I get up there and show Miss. Fleetfoot what I've made of! I'm not gonna let anything stop me! I'm going to do this! I can't let a little storm hold me back." And with that, she flew up to meet up with Fleetfoot to begin the race.

The brash speedster watched Silverstream fly away and thought in the back of her mind. "I hope you know what you're doing, Silverstream, for both our sakes. Part of being a Wonderbolt also means not taking unnecessary risks just to prove a point."

Meanwhile, Fleetfoot looked across to her opponent and smiled. "This is gonna be fun! I haven't had a truly challenge opponent in ages," Then, locking eyes with the pathway ahead, she counted down aloud. "Three, two, one... go!" And with a fierce flapping of wings, she and Silverstream took off, rushing headlong into the storm clouds set up for them!

It was a truly hostile enivronment for flying, and every pegasus knew this. Lightning flashed, thunder clapped, rain and hail poured down, and the wind roared and howled fiercely enough to drown out all noise!

Silverstream was greatly relieved to have the goggles on her, they protected her eyes from what would've otherwise been blinding drops of rain. As it was, she could barely see where she was or where she was going with the way the wind was blowing the rain and hail. She couldn't even tell where Fleetfoot was. Right now, all that mattered to the hippogriff was pressing forward with every ounce of strength she had!

A thousand terrible images started playing in her mind as she continued flying, all conjured up by the storm and what it reminded her of. Pretty soon, even the roar of the tempest was drowned out by the sound of a malicious, sadistic laugh that echoed everywhere.

Shutting her eyes, the hippogriff grit her teeth and pressed forward even as her body was screaming at her to stop! She had to press on, she just had to! Eventually, she felt a warmth on her back, and slowly opened her eyes to see that she had pushed through the storm clouds and out into the sunlight.

Fleetfoot wasn't too far behind. Soon, she and Silverstream had touched down on a cloud almost on the other side of the academy from where they had started. She wiped the sweat from her brows. "It takes a lot to impress me, kid. So consider yourself lucky. I haven't seen that kind of determination since Rainbow Dash. You were scared, but you pressed on anyway. Showing strength in adversity is a big part of what makes a Wonderbolt a Wonderbolt."

"You really mean it?!" Silverstream excitedly asked!

Fleetfoot nodded. "I most certainly do. Looks like Dash has taught you well."


After Fleetfoot's trial, Rainbow Dash gupled a bit as she realized what the final test for Silverstream would be. So far, the young hippogriff had been doing really well for herself, almost too well you might say. She had shown that she had the speed, strength and resolve of a Wonderbolt. She was willing to push herself, and overcome her limits and fears.

But now would come a test that even the best of recruits for the Wonderbolts had struggled with over the years, and one that often made or broke their chances of joining the team: They would have to be able to come up with a unique flying routine that showed off what they could bring to the Wonderbolts, to prove that they could think outside the box.

True, Silverstream was full of energy and was always passionate about whatever she did. But because she was so easily excited, she sometimes had a hard time paying attention when it mattered most. Rainbow could recall hearing about how the hippogriff had needed to take on a class project from Fluttershy related to dangerous flaura and fauna, which had resulted in the hippogriff wandering off into the Everfree Forest while forgetting to leave a note behind. It had only been a matter of luck that nothing bad had happened to her.

What would Silverstream try to do here? Would her excitement cause her to get ahead of herself and do something dangerous?

Thunderlane was on hoof to oversee the evaluation. "Guess Spitfire decided it would be good to get a Wonderbolt who has actual experience dealing with kids," He said to himself as he approached Silverstream. "So, you're Rainbow Dash's student that everypony's been talking about. Nice to meet you."

Silverstream immediately extended a wing out to Thunderlane, and when he showed her one of his wings she happily shook it in reply. "Oh, it's nice to meet you too, Mr. Thunderlane. You and the other Wonderbolts are every bit as impressive in real life as Professor Rainbow Dash has made you out to be."

Thunderlane displayed a modest smile. "Well, I'm glad you think so highly of us. It's always nice to meet a fan, especially young fans like yourself," Then he cleared his throat. "Anyway, I'm here to test you on your solo flight routine. This one's pretty easy: You don't have to worry about flying fast, or escaping a wipe out, or even deal with adverse weather. You just need to display an aerial manuever that's all you. This is to see how good you are at improvising, how well you can adapt to whatever might get thrown your way. Every good Wonderbolt must be able to think on their hooves and make split second decisions when it counts."

The pink feathered hippogriff proudly proclaimed. "Oh, that won't be a problem! I know just what I'm gonna do! It's gonna totally blow your mind!"

"And what would be that be?" Thunderlane inquired while looking down at a clipboard he held in his hooves, ready to take notes.

Without hesitation, Silverstream looked Thunderlane firmly in the eyes and declared! "I'm going to pull off a sonic rainboom, just like Professor Rainbow Dash once did!"

"WHAT?!" Thunderlane and Rainbow Dash both gasped at the same time!

Silverstream grinned and giggled as she unfolded her wings! "If she can make the impossible possible, so can I! She can do sonic rainbooms in her sleep, now. This'll be just the thing to prove I've got what it takes to be a Wonderbolt!" And before anypony could stop her, she was off, flying higher and higher into the sky!

Immediately, once the shock of the situation had worn off, Rainbow grit her teeth and jumped into action! She began flapping her wings fiercely, determined to catch up to Silverstream and stop her from making a mistake she was sure to regret.

As for Silverstream, she just kept flying, all the while the Wonderbolts' Academy grew smaller and smaller to her eyes. Soon, it was just a dot a ways down. Still, she flew higher. She would need as much height as possible if she was going to build up enough speed to pull off such a daring aerial manuever.

Poor Rainbow Dash found that it was everything she could do just to keep up with the extremely energetic hippogriff. "Silverstream, stop!" She tried to call out, hoping to be overheard! "You don't know what you're doing! You don't have to prove anything!"

But Silverstream either didn't hear Rainbow or chose not to acknowledge her. Instead, she just flew until she was convinced she could go no higher. Then, immediately, she turned around and began descending at an alarming rate! She was flying so fast that a cone of energy was starting to form around her!

Rainbow dived down after the hippogriff, trying to catch up to her!

Suddenly, a loud boom split the air above the academy! The shockwave was so powerful it made Thunderlane's mane and tail stand completely on end, and buildings all over the academy shook from the vibrations! He had to crouch to the ground just to keep from being blown away. He looked up very slowly, seeing two blurs of motion fly past him just overhead.


Rainbow Dash touched down at the end of the academy runway seconds later, holding Silverstream firmly by the hoof as the hippogriff's old Wonderbolts flight jacket was clearly torn and ripped (it had obviously not been intended to be exposed to such strong g-forces). "Now that was cutting it close." Was all she could bring herself to say.

Silverstream, for her part, whimpered and looked guilty. "I'm sorry, Professor Rainbow Dash. I thought I could pull it off. I didn't realize just how much more speed and power would have to go into it."

"Sonic rainbooms are no easy feat. Even I can't do them on a whim," Rainbow pointed out. "If I hadn't caught you when I did, you could've lost control and crashed into the ground! And at the speed you were going, you'd be lucky to still be standing afterward."

The pink feathered hippogriff then sheepishly asked. "So, does this mean I blew my only chance? Seems like I made the sort of mistake you told me that other pegasus once made: What was her name? Lightning something, I believe."

Rainbow shook her head from side to side. "Doesn't matter, her name's not important. And unlike her, I don't think you were pushing yourself so hard just because you like to live life on the edge. You truly did want to give your best. But you problem is, you don't always stop to think before you leap," She confessed while massaging the back of her neck with a hoof. "That's... kind of a problem for me as well, and something I've been trying to work on. Either way, you'll probably walk away from this with no harm. Trust me, if you'd really ruined your chances, I have a feeling Spitfire would be out here right now to talk to you."

Silverstream looked up. "Then, does this mean I passed the test? Do I get to be a Wonderbolt? Oh, if I'm dreaming please don't wake me up!"

But Rainbow Dash protested by raising up a hoof. "You're not dreaming, Silverstream. This is all been real. But I think you're forgetting something in your rush to try to join the Wonderbolts. Something very important."

"What's that?" The hippogriff questioned with curiosity in her tone of voice.

Rainbow explained to the best of her ability. "You've already done a lot of incredible, awesome things as it is. I mean heck, you and your friends have saved Equestria and restored the spirit of harmony. You're already a big deal."

"So, I'm wrong for wanting to do even more?" Silverstream questioned. "I really want to help, I really want to be like the Wonderbolts and help others. Being part of a really cool flying team is just a nice bonus."

Again, Rainbow protested and explained. "You're already a hero in my book, Silverstream. After all the things you've done, after what I've seen and what Twilight's seen, that's not just talk. And even putting that aside, you don't need to join a team of heroes to be a hero. You can be a hero everyday just by being you."

The hippogriff put a paw to her chin, trying to think about what her professor was trying to tell her. "I still don't get it. How does me being me equal being a hero?"

The rainbow maned pegasus explained further. "Simple. Just wanting to help others as it is counts a lot towards being a hero. Even the littlest acts of kindness and compassion can have a big impact, even if you may not realize it at the time. True heroes don't have to wear capes or put on costumes to feel important. True heroes come in many different shapes and sizes. Everything you do as yourself can impact the world in ways big and small alike. Do you understand that now?"

Silverstream slowly nodded. "I think I do," And she gave the pegasus a big hug. "You know, for somepony who wasn't sure teaching was her forte, you sure are good at it."

Rainbow blushed. "I guess I've had a lot of experience being a teacher, or at least just being a coach," Then she added. "And if you ever do try out for the Wonderbolts for real someday, well, I have a feeling you could go all the way. Hay, who knows, I might even be captain of the team by the time you're at the top of the reserves."

Silverstream's eyes lit up! "You really think so?!"

Rainbow Dash chuckled. "The future is always full of possibilities, Silverstream."