• Published 20th Mar 2023
  • 142 Views, 16 Comments

The Enchanted Library: Amethyst Dreams - makise-homura



May Amethyst Wind be the one to save Princess Twilight from her eternal fate of being a captive of her library, or is she just a delusion of Rarity who's slowly going insane because of Discord's curse?

  • ...
0
 16
 142

A Vision Number Two Point Five

This chapter's story is meant to follow the events of ~ Interlude VII ~ A Vision II ~ of The Enchanted Library.


…Rarity wondered, would Twilight tell Amethyst what she had seen in the gaze of her former beloved, piercing through a soul connection spell from the years long gone? Or, as usual, would Twilight not say a word?

Sometimes, Rarity wanted to tell Twilight how much she missed her, but she couldn’t afford it. After all, who was Rarity to Twilight now? Just a faded memory, nothing more. She couldn’t tell Twilight her feelings. Twilight loved Amethyst Wind, Amethyst Wind loved Twilight, and Rarity had no place beside the princess anymore.

And so, Rarity kept quiet, even when she had a chance. When Twilight looked at her from the depths of Amethyst’s eyes, Rarity did not express her feelings, though it pained her heart oh so much. A lady can’t let herself lose her dignity, she told herself.

And now, with the last thing Rarity could have influenced gone, nothing depended on her. Now she could only dream that Twilight would understand and at least give her a chance to see her again.

As any good mare her age does, Rarity daydreamed very often. Sometimes she imagined she would put on her best dress, style her mane in a way she had never styled before, apply the perfect amount of makeup to make her look a decade younger, and elegantly step outside from her boutique, and there, Twilight would be waiting for her, and for her only. And then Twilight, warm, soft, and alive, finally free from the curse holding her in the library, finally able to truly smile at her, would thank her, and let Rarity embrace her, hold the magical fairy tale princess that stole her heart. Sometimes, when Rarity was in a particularly gloomy and hopeless mood, she dreamed of the day she will lay on her deathbed, and that at the last minute Twilight would finally come to her, and let out the words that Rarity had been waiting for the whole life. And, clinging to her, Twilight would stay with her until Forever. On brighter days, Rarity dreamed how she and Twilight would leisurely stroll in the streets of Ponyville, not bothering about the age of the unicorn or the title of the princess, and carelessly discuss plans for tomorrow, just like friends who knew each other since they were foals, and, having grown up a bit, felt that something more than friendship arose between them. Sometimes she dreamed how Princess Denza herself, grateful of Rarity for freeing Twilight, would ask them for their wedding vows, right in the throne room of Canterlot Castle, and Rarity, so dazzling and radiant in her wedding dress, the best dress in all of Equestria, sewn by her own hooves just for this moment, the most important moment of her life, happily closing her eyes and reaching for Twilight’s lips, and, yes, even with her eyes closed, feeling how the princess’s cheeks glow red, and how their lips meet in a kiss both of them would never ever forget, not caring about what the high society ponies gathered would think about it.

But she was well aware that nothing of the sort would ever happen. Rarity herself had given up on Twilight after losing Applejack and Apple Bloom, and, obviously, Twilight also had given up on Rarity too, judging by the letter the unicorn never had the courage to read.

But at least it was not as bad as it could have been. Even if Rarity had failed to fulfill her promise to return to Twilight, she would be able to fulfill her promise to free her. Even if it was by somepony else’s hooves.

How did she feel about this? Oh, the Rarity from decades ago, who repeatedly rushed fearlessly into the Everfree Forest for her princess, of course, would never allow such a thing. She wandered all over Equestria, clutching at the threads of rumors about ancient books, spending countless hours and money towards one singular goal: to know that one day she could be lifting the trapdoor leading to the staircase of Twilight’s library and exiting it, not alone, but side by side with Princess Twilight Sparkle. Happy. Alive. Loved. Hers.

But today, that same Rarity, once broken by what Twilight had written in that last letter, considered this complete nonsense. The best thing she could hope for now was that Twilight would come out of there at all. Who would be beside her was simply irrelevant…

…But then why did it hurt so much to know that it wouldn’t be Rarity, but Amethyst?

Why did it hurt oh so much to know that it was probably happening that very moment?


Since Amethyst left, taking the last book with her, Rarity had tried to convince herself that everything was going the way it should. Amethyst didn’t return to the boutique the next day, and Rarity tried consoling herself with the thought that maybe she hadn’t succeeded, that there still was time for Rarity to go onstage. She knew she should not think so, oh, sweet Denza, she should not! It was just jealousy plain and simple, wholly unbecoming of a lady! But she could not stop herself from envying.

A week later, Amethyst finally visited Rarity again. She was as oh so happy and radiant with joy, as if princess Denza had raised a second sun right inside the boutique. The ecstatic mare brought a whole waterfall of stories, full of adoration and love, down on Rarity. Overflowed by inspiration, she talked about how Princess Twilight Sparkle saw the sunlight and breathed in the scents of the forest for the first time in a thousand years, how she walked with Amethyst through the streets of Ponyville, catching the startled looks of residents, some of which still believed her to be a mere fairytale, how Rarity herself could see and meet her, if she simply left the boutique at that moment, how she and Twilight struggled to decide where to travel first, how they almost took for Hollow Shades but settled for Canterlot at the last minute, how Twilight was so charmingly spooked by the sounds of modern technology, of loudspeakers and trains, how Twilight, standing beside Amethyst on one of the countless bridges of Canterlot, looking at the castle with tears streaming down her adorable muzzle, and how she still smiled regardless, how Amethyst had suggested to go in, right then and there, how Twilight refused, saying it was not the time yet, that this night was theirs alone, and that fate could wait another week, the two of them standing on the moonlit embankment by the most lovely of waterfalls, and how Twilight had stolen Amethyst’s first kiss right there, and oh heavens, how soft Twilight’s coat was! How sweet were her lips, how smooth was her mane, how tender was her embrace, and how pleasant was her company. She told Rarity how she realized that she wanted to be with her princess the whole life, and how tired but happy they were when they took a train back to Ponyville by sunrise, and how Twilight fell asleep for the first time in a thousand years, resting her head on Amethyst’s legs, and how amazingly cute the sleeping princess looked…

All the while Rarity sat there smiling, and felt nothing but a dull, unceasing pain grow in her chest.

And yet, when Amethyst suggested arranging a meeting with Twilight, the elder mare did not refuse.

She didn’t know if she was ready, but she couldn’t keep Twilight waiting any longer.


This chapter's story is meant to be followed by the events of Rarity's dream scene from ~ Act III ~ 29 ~ The Longest Night ~ of The Enchanted Library, until 'the dream shifted' and 'cracked, literally, into a thousand pieces'.

Author's Note:

The working titles for this chapter were "a chapter of fanservice", and "a chapter where everypony kiss". Well, either one of them still doesn't look wrong anyway. :)

Amethyst is quite a talkative mare, and she's cute here, prove me wrong. Rarity's opinion is not accepted.

NB: this is the AU of Rarity's dreams in TEL, and in it, bringing the last book to the library actually frees Twilight. I know it's not a subject for the original TEL AU.