• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 11,268 Views, 575 Comments

A Ballad of Eeyup and Nope - ambion



Big Macintosh has a day off, but he can't say his most notable two words

  • ...
18
 575
 11,268

A Study in Pinkie

It came as something of a surprise to Big Mac that Ponyville, town of his birth and upbringing, was unfamiliar to him at dusk. Oh, he’d seen it at this hour on the rare occasion, but those had always been just that: special occasions. Without the colours and costumes of Nightmare Night everything looked so...strange.

Not wrong, mind you, just...different. Things that by the light of day were familiar and known he saw for the first time. It was a realization that came as more of one about himself than about his town, and Big Mac was not sure what he felt about it. Eeyup and Nope crawled up in his mind, giving him the puppy eyes and wagging proverbial tails at him expectantly.

All about town, particularly the walkways and parks that edged it were benches, and it was on one of these that the stallion took a seat to ponder his situation. He had already faced Rainbow Dash, but that had come through as much from the wit and cookery skill of his Granny than anything Big Macintosh himself had brought forwards. If anything, he had hesitated, and maybe even now would still be bumbling about in his words and thoughts were it not for that crafty old Apple forcing the situation upon his metaphorical, and literal, plate.

He rubbed at his gut and sighed, while moths and the curious little flying things of the evening danced around him. What was with mares and feeding him, really...? If today could be anything to go by, he’d just as likely show up at the library and be subjected to a full course meal. While he didn’t expect such a thing from Twilight Sparkle...well, that was the crux of the matter, wasn’t it? He didn’t know what to expect from her, and this time Granny wasn’t here to drag his big slow head along to the answer.

Sighing again, the stallion gently brushed some of the friendlier moths away from his face, careful in the utmost not to damage their powdery fine wings. The real party was dizzily fixated on a nearby street lamp in a hundred eccentric, wobbling little orbits, but enough of the insects had drifted over to him to make him mindful of his breathing, as much for his sake as any of theirs.

At least nothing was biting at him, save for his own thoughts. Big Mac pressed a broad hoof to his forehead and rubbed. If this were a field, he would set his plough to a corner and pull, tilling the earth into a neat row before turning about and doing it again, then again and again, ‘til the job was done. If this were a tree to buck, he’d spy out that enigmatic spot in the bark, the one you either saw or didn’t, and kick it for a shower of apples.

He just had to think. There was Rainbow Dash and Applejack, flashing blue and orange in his mind’s eye, bright and full of sunshine despite the quiet shadows of the hour. At the back of his mind he supposed he started with them because they were the simplest to ponder out. Applejack was his sister and Dash was, much like his own family, straightforward in her dealings. Likewise, he could count them as chores done. There was no need to fear either mare dropping in on him at this point. Even if they did, he didn’t expect much issue of it.

There was Granny as well, grinning at him teasingly from within his head. She was definitely on his side, if only she wasn’t so esoteric about what that actually meant. Still, if he couldn’t trust her than he couldn’t trust anypony at all. Besides, she’d be in bed at this hour, or at least tucked into her rocking chair. Her meddling for the day was done. Probably.

Further on the track the lights of Ponyville glowed, street lamps and windows alike. As he watched one winked out, and Big Mac knew that some pony, one he more than likely knew in at least some passing acquaintance, was calling it a night and winding down to sleep.

The next thought came unbidden to him, but it was no less true. It was just about his own bedtime, he realized. Not that anypony had him adhere to such a curfew, only his own unbroken routine of bedding down and rising early.

To be honest, he wasn’t as fussed about this as he might have expected himself to be. He didn’t feel tired. At least not in the sleepy sense, in the same way that you didn’t feel sleepy when you were halfway through bucking a field. Tired, maybe. Sleepy...not quite as much.

But it still meant that he was earliest to bed of the Apple family most days of the week, sometimes every day. Even Granny stayed up some nights to do this or that, because Granny Smith had hobbies. Applejack did too. Apple Bloom and her friends maybe had more hobbies than the three fillies knew what to do with, but there it was all the same.

Big Mac shifted his weight on the bench, stretching his legs by turn and easing the tension that had built up along his neck and shoulders best he could. His mind was wandering, he knew it. If this were a field under the plough, he’d have carved a great curved furrow of a thing across it. He tried to start over.

He had talked to Rarity today, and Twilight too. In their own ways, both had left quite the impression on him. Big Mac still wasn’t decided on how he felt about Twilight being as invasively friendly as she’d been this morning, and he hadn’t the faintest notion on where her eccentricity would have taken from that point in the intervening hours. Her intent was good, undoubtedly, but weren’t there sayings about good intentions?

When he tried to envision their next encounter, he couldn’t quite get it to sound good. Maybe he was missing something. Maybe he was being oblivious to something obvious, something that followed him and swirled around him and he noticed it not at all.

Like the mare scooching along the woodwork, for instance.

It didn’t escape Big Mac’s notice that Pinkie Pie had slid more than halfway along the bench before he’d noticed her, but whether that was her stealth or his inattentiveness he’d never now.

“Wow,” Pinkie Pie said, her limpid blue eyes ghostly in the waning light. “You must have really been lost in thought. I was doing the sound effects for that and everything.” Okay, so he would know. Inattentiveness it was. She leaned closer, but otherwise didn’t move. “What were you thinking about?”

Besides that the strangest mare in town had taken her equally strange habit of unexpected and unprecedented sudden appearances to a new level? But that would be rude, and Big Mac was anything but rude, and he knew that sentiment really only stemmed from his confusion and surprise.

“Just...thinking, I suppose.” Dusty and underutilized, he clutched at what social graces he could improvise on the spot. “You?” he asked quickly.

Pinkie Pie didn’t answer right away, which was as strange as any answer he could imagine coming from the mare. “Not really,” she said at last. “Just resting a bit now. Mhmm.” It was something like a sigh and something like a yawn, but definitely a sound someone could imagine the mare made when she snuggled into her pillows at night. “I’ve been everywhere in town today.” The few times he’d seen her, she had been constantly on the move. Nor did it sound like her usual hyperbole.

Pale as they were, there was a brightness to Pinkie’s eyes, like twinned moons. She seemed as much as anypony could be one caught up in her own ruminations. “Do you trust me?” she asked and leaned closer still, but there was no contact between them.

Eeyup coiled up on his tongue, so natural that he didn’t even think to stop it, but she moved faster. “No,” she suddenly said, shaking her head, dispelling the treacherous, beautiful word from Big Mac before he could utter it. “Not like that.” She frowned, her hooves gesticulating intricate geometries in the air.

She paused, huffed, and continued. “I mean...” she began again, like a mare translating one language to another and wary of all the misunderstandings that could spring from that. “I mean like, when you meet a new friend and they say ‘come by anytime, Pinkie Pie’ but you learn that while they’re super genuine what they're actually saying is ‘come by any—when it’s good and we’re not too occupied and maybe give us some forewarning as well and everything it’d be appreciated because no offense Pinkie Pie but we weren’t really expecting you at all and we had plans—time.’ Like that.” A quick gasp got the mare’s poor lungs back up to standard operating capacity.

At Big Mac’s bafflement she groaned and rubbed her temples, two opposing circles bordering a furrowed brow. “Is there something you’re trying to tell me?” he hazarded, but as he heard himself speak he wanted to facehoof. She gave him a flat stare, then cracked a smile and leant back into the backrest.

“Eeyup and Nope, ‘cause there’s something I’m trying to tell you but something else I won’t tell you because if I did you wouldn’t get it and change everything. Besides,” she added more playfully, “I put a lot of work into what I did. Not many ponies could find all the fiddly little windy metal thingies I had to use.” She nodded and her mane bounced in turn.

Big Macintosh blinked. One. One normal, reasonable, rational, uncomplicated mare. Was that too much too ask for? His mind harrumphed and conjured up a Cheerilee in response, but faced with Pinkie Pie he quickly brushed aside the distracting notion.

The pink mare slumped somewhere between resignation and relaxation, and for a moment neither pony said anything. Big Mac wondered if he should leave it at that, a mystery not meant to be solved, but she spoke as if in answer to that very thought.

“You’re planning on visiting Twilight tonight?” She quickly waved away his inquisitive glance. “I’ve been everywhere in town today. Everywhere,” she said, emphasizing it with overtones that made it equal measures silly and spooky. In a return to completely normal conversation, she explained that she’d heard about the matter from Rarity.

For a minute, the pair watched moths dance drunkenly around the streetlamp.

Pinkie broke the relative silence gently as could be done. “I’m not entirely sure what we’re doing,” she whispered. “I sorta kinda maybe have a plan and an idea, but mostly just a feeling.”

“Me too,” said Big Mac, because the words had roughly the right shape and feel to them, though truth be told he could barely follow what sense there might have been in the mare’s words.

And now Pinkie put her hooves on him, gently rocking forward and back as she pressed her weight against Big Mac’s shoulder. “Don’t be too mad with me, okay?”

“I don’t—” he started, but Pinkie bunched up her legs under her, sprung like a spring with an audible sproing, planted an apologetic kiss on his forehead and was gone, sudden as that.

The only thing to move for a while were the little fluttering things, both in his stomach and their cousins carousing about the streetlamp.

Finally deciding that he wasn’t all that good at planning anyway, Big Mac stood and marched solemnly into the night, towards the winking lights of Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Chapter name is a reference to the BBC Sherlock Holmes series episode A Study in Pink (it's very good), itself a refernce to the original book, A Study in Scarlet.

I feel like rambling here a small bit~

Some writers have plans, structures and checkpoints in their stories, and when they write its like filling in the colours of a sketch that's already shaped and plotted. Some writers tend instead to fly by the seat of the pants they may or may not be wearing on their heads (if wearing pants at all), and it is this second style I find myself naturally in. I imagine some readers must get frustrated when dealing with this sort of thing, because it allows a lot more whimsy and disarray into the narrative process. I mean, even this here author's note is pretty whimsical, eh?

This chapter feels a little different than others to me, and not just because it follows on from the interlude. I'm not even sure it's strictly necessary to further the plot in any fashion, but it is what I found myself writing. I don't hide the fact that I have no editors or prereaders, so what gets put forward is always a pretty raw form of the story, despite how much or how little effort I might put into refining it. I at least do believe that the thriving populations of basic grammar errors have been culled significantly from what we all saw happening in earlier chapters.

On that note, let's mosey over to that publish button, shall we?