• Published 20th Mar 2023
  • 490 Views, 112 Comments

Thomas and Friends: Parallel Lines - The Blue EM2



A collection of alternate and 'what if' scenarios from my Thomas and Friends continuity.

  • ...
7
 112
 490

Heart to Heart (Thomas and Friends: a New Generation)

The convoy proceeded through the dark night on the West Coast Mainline. Traffic at this time of day was very light, so very little would be up to spot the off formation of several diesels and two steam engines being dragged along. The odd container train flew past with the high intensity lights illuminating the track ahead of them and bringing some light to the otherwise purpetual darkness. Zipp still wished they would at least turn them down when going the other way. If they weren't careful they'd blind somebody, and this could cause an accident.

It was fairly dark on the mainline when Zipp realised they would have to stop.

"Guys, Charles' fuel warning light has just come on," she said over the radio. "We need to stop for fuel."

"Got it," Argyle replied. He sounded grumpy, and Zipp knew precisely why. She herself was deeply regretting her actions earlier that day.

Zipp picked up the radio and switched channels. "33021 to control, requesting access to fuel line, over."

"Control to 33021, Wolverton has capacity for refuelling. Line is set for you to go there. Out."

After a few minutes more had passed, the cavalcade pulled into Wolverton depot, with Charles being positioned next to the fuel pump. Zipp shut down the engine and activated the radio again. "Hey, Pipp, could you get Sophie fired up? I'm feeling pretty wiped out."

There was no reply. Zipp slipped down from the cab and attached the pipe into the fueling port. She then walked over and started the pump, the familiar rumble of diesel fuel being pumped into an engine being clearly audible. The refuelling process would take a few minutes to complete, so that at least gave her a chance to self reflect.

A few seconds later, she heard footsteps approaching, and figured she knew who that was. "Engine problems?"

Pipp didn't reply until she was closer. "It's not a problem with Sophie. It's a problem with you."

Zipp sighed. "I know. Go ahead. Scream at me all you want. I deserve it."

"Wait, what?" Pipp sounded confused. "This isn't like you! Normally this would lead to a fight!"

"Not today," Zipp said. "Partly because I'm not in the mood, and I've spent some time thinking about the last few hours."

"There's a first."

"Hilarious," Zipp replied. "But the whole situation with the tiara, and the crystal... I've been feeling guilty about it the whole way here. And I know it sounds hollow, but I want to apologise for how I acted. I broke that bond of trust siblings are supposed to have."

Pipp's response surprised her. "It's OK Zipp. I know we don't agree on everything or get along on all topics."

"You can say that again," Zipp interrupted.

Pipp chuckled briefly at this. "But what made you keep that all hidden?"

"I thought you would think me crazy," Zipp said, who had never thought she would actually be forgiven for what she had done. "I mean, travelling across country to collect together crystals that power some sort of magic that allows machines to be sentient? That sounds like the plot of a fantasy movie you'd find on Netflix. And the idea that your tiara just happened to be one of those crystals would probably seem even more ridiculous."

Pipp laughed. "I would never think you were crazy! We grew up around Non-Faceless Vehicles, remember? Two of our family members are NFVs! None of it is silly to me at all!" Her face fell. "What concerns me more is that you didn't speak to me. If you'd just explained the importance of the crystal I'd have happily given it to you!"

"I know," Zipp sighed. "I guess I'm just not good at asking for help when I need it. Not least from my own family." There was another pause. "And I need to make it up to you. Argyle mentioned to me we are heading north somewhere. Once we get the other shards, restore the magic, and return to Swanage, I'll appear on one of your streams. You can even give me a makeover if you want!"

Pipp looked stunned. "But you hate getting makeovers!"

"And you hate having things taken from you. Consider us even."

Pipp looked over at something beginning to rise. "Look, Zipp! Over there! In the distance!"

Zipp looked over to see light. "Is that what I think it is?"

"The sun," Pipp smiled. "You know what that means, right?" She paused in her speech. "A wise man once said that the sunrise would mark a new beginning. And he was right. It's a new day. A chance to start again on a clean slate. So let's put this behind us and complete this mission."

Zipp nodded as the fuel pump beeped to indicate refuelling was complete. "Friends again?"

"Of course!" Pipp answered, and took her sister in a hug. "We may fight and have disagreements, but there's is one thing that will never change. Even if you irritate me to heck and back, I will never cease to love you."

Zipp knew exactly what she meant. "Thanks Pipp. I needed that." She paused. "Up for some driving?"

Pipp nodded as she broke the hug. "I'd be more than happy to. But based on the other engines we'd best drive gently, as the others seem to be asleep."

Zipp glanced back, seeing the sleeping figures of their friends on some of the locomotives. "Sure looks that way. Fancy being at the controls as far as Crewe? Based on my guesses we should be there by morning. Izzy may even give us a cooked breakfast if we're lucky."

"You are aware those are super unhealthy, right?" Pipp said.

"Come on, a bit of bacon won't hurt you every once in a while," Zipp said jokingly.

The two sisters boarded their respective engines and headed off for the main line. Life often goes in strange directions, but it's ultimately the bonds between those we love that bring us home.

Author's Note:

Like many fans, I was a little surprised when Pipp suddenly dropped her hostility towards the rest of the crew during the film. It felt as though a scene was missing, and on rereading Thomas and Friends: a New Generation I found I had made the same error. This scene is a speculative look at what such a moment could look like, as well as take a look at sibling relations.

A point of English: When Pipp refers to love, she is speaking in terms of the Greek concept of Philia, or the affection siblings feel for one another.

Comments ( 37 )

"The sun," Pipp smiled. "You know what that means, right?" She paused in her speech. "A wise man once said that the sunrise would mark a new beginning. And he was right. It's a new day. A chance to start again on a clean slate. So let's put this behind us and complete this mission."

Interesting. :rainbowhuh:

"Come on, a bit of bacon won't hurt you every once in a while," Zipp said jokingly.

Still, makes sense why Pipp wouldn't want to have it a lot. :applejackunsure:

You know, that's one problem I have with MLP in general, everybody is just too damn forgiving. I mean, whenever someone steps out of line they brush it off like it's nothing. The Canterlot Wedding, Twilight's Kingdom, Starlight Glimmer, and this! I know for a fact that's not how it works in real life.
I'm glad you added in this bit with Zipp and Pipp resolving this quarrel.

11568215
Same here. I partly put this together as in the original story (T&F: ANG) Pipp was unrealistically quick to forgive (totally my bad). The same is true of the film, to the point it feels like a scene is missing.

11568253
Of course. Besides it helps strengthen the bond between the 2.

11568254
It seemed natural, seeing as their relationship formed a major part of both the plot arcs of TYT and MYM.

11568309
The same can be said for this series too.

11568664
Indeed. Curiously, it seems my own rate of G5 content production right now is substancially higher than the official writers.

11568672
IKR? We're still waiting on Chapter 4 of MYM, although TYT has helped to tide us over.

11568675
I guess it all comes with it being a show that airs on Netflix rather than live TV

11568681
That's true. As has been observed, streaming has radically altered the way people consume content.

11568074
1. That's invoking imagery from Lord of the Rings, one of the greatest fantasy trilogies ever written.

2. Indeed. Like everything, food should be consumed in moderation.

11569093
And slower production may be a good thing. 222 episodes in 9 years is a tall order!

11569131
True. But having one episode a week would work too. I mean all the new Star Wars series does perfect with it.

11569243
As you point out, some streaming shows do release in this manner.

Hi. Can I request you a story?

11636753
James and the Birthday Mail (Thomas and Friends: The New Adventures) - Based off Thomas and the Birthday Mail

Rosie in the Mud (Thomas and Friends: Thd New Adventures) - Based off a Roary episode

Lights, Camera, Whistle! (Thomas and Friends: The New Adventures) - Based off the Sagwa episode "And Action!", which is one of Thomlight Sparkle 1's favorites

11636774
Do they sound good for you?

11636753
I sent out my requests. Why didn't you see them?

11637225
So, are you gonna write my requests?

Comment posted by SagwaisAwesomw deleted Jul 13th, 2023

11637792
More requests

Rosie and the Toy Bug - Based off aspects the Bob the Builder episode "Trix and the Bug" (minus the film theater plot) and original content with a play theatre premise

Duck's Secret (Thomas and Friends: More Tales from Sodor) - Based off the Sagwa episode "Shei-Hu's Secret"

Rumors About Skarloey (Thomas and Friends: The New Adventures) - A mix of "Spreading Rumors" from Sagwa and "Thomas and the Rumors"

Bill, Ben and the Foul Word (Thomas and Friends: More Tales from Sodor) - Based off the Spongebob episode "Sailor Mouth" (though you NEVER saw Spongebob or Sagwa)

What do you think?

11637792
Did you see more of my requests I sent you?

11637792
Hi. How ia the story writing of my requests?

hi. Are you writing the stories I requested?

Why can't you write those stories I requested for my series?

Login or register to comment