• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 5,875 Views, 229 Comments

A special request - chaos2012



Applejack needs Zecora to help her, but she must do something insane.

  • ...
6
 229
 5,875

Chapter 9: The Cliff

Applejack screamed as she felt her body falling through the sudden gap in the trail as she dropped with the broken rocks. Flailing out, her front hooves caught the next part of the ledge at the last second. Her eyes were as wide as dinner plates as she struggled to hold on, "Zecora! Help me!"

"Hold on Applejack!" Zecora screamed out. She went to the edge and was about to run out to help, but stopped; the small ledge that Applejak hung from would surely break under the combined weight of both of them. She couldn't go out there. her friend was only five feet from her, but she was unable to get to her.

Applejack felt her hooves slip on the stone above her head as she hung. Panicking, she tried to put her back legs against the cliff below her to push up, but the wall was too smooth to get a good spot to step on. All she was doing was scraping against the rock, "Zecora, hurry!"

Zecora slipped off her bag and flipped open the opening flap. Shuffling through the contents, she searched for anything she could have used as a rope; she found a mix of her potions, food and jars. She saw the blanket and prepared to pull it out, but knew that it was much too thin and would have torn under the farmers weight. Heart racing, she had nothing to use help. Applejacks bag was the one that carried rope, and it flopped over the blowing cape and-.

Her cape! Zecora knew it wasn't much, but it was stronger than the sheet she had. Moving quick, she untied the one she had around her neck and spun it until it was a thick bundle. "Applejack, listen good and listen well. You must do what I'm about to tell."

Applejack tried to keep her nerves intact, "Alright."

When you grab this, you must let go. You will-"

"HAVE YA LOST YER BUCKIN MIND!?" Applejack screamed out, "Ah am not letting go."

"You must trust in what I'm trying to do. You will swing below and I will pull you to." Zecora tossed the end of the bundled cape over to the hanging zebra, clutching her end with her teeth.

Applejack had all the doubts in her mind to not want to grab the cape, but every moment she hung there, her limbs were losing strength. She was going to fall at any moment, so she only had one option. With struggling effort, she more forward and bit down as hard as she could. Glancing over, she saw Zecora give her a nod of support. Applejack clenched her eyes shut as tears of fear fell down her face.

Giving in all the hope she had to Zecora, she let go of the edge.

Zecora felt the full weight pull against her as Applejack fell. Bracing her legs, she yanked her head back as hard as she could, swinging the hanging zebra down below the rocky outcrop. She felt her hooves slightly slide against the ground, but she held tight and pulled backwards.

Applejack panted through he cloth in her mouth, thanking Celestia she was still alive. She felt the cape being pulled up, so she did what she could to help by putting her hooves against the wall and pushing up with everything she had left in her body. After a minute of tiring tugging and pullling, both of them were laying on top of the large path.

Zecora spit out her end of cloth to gather much needed air, "I'm sorry you had to deal with-"

She was cut short by Applejack, who had thrown herself onto Zecora's chest and bawled into her fur, "Oh Zecora! Ah thought ah was gonna die!" the crying mare wrapped her hooves around her companions fur and pulled her into a tight embrace. Her streams of tears soaked the others fur as she continued to weep.

While at first startled, Zecora lifted off the hat from Applejacks head and set it to the side, giving her space to lay her own chin down over her friends Mohawk. Sliding her own hoof around, she pulled the crying zebra closer to her, "you are very brave and bold. You pushed through fears strong hold."

Applejack slowly calmed her breathing, allowing herself to steadily stop the falling tears from her face. She glanced up with her emerald green eyes and smiled, "Thank ya. Ya saved mah life right there, Zecora."


"There is no reason to thank me, I promised I would protect you, don't you see? If I allowed you to fall into gloom, I could never face young Applebloom."

Applejack chuckled at hearing that, lifting her spirit slightly. Rolling off Zecora, she wiped what remaining liquid was in her eyes away. Walking over to her hat, she turned and looked at the stretched out cape that she was pulled up on. Lifting it up, she gave a sorrowful look to her friend, "Sorry about yer cape Zecora."

Zecora looked over to her messed up outfit, but didn't seem upset by it. All she did was smile at Applejack, "No need to worry about a cape. I can get another when we leave this large gape." she then gestured to the edge.

Applejack looked out and immediately knew what she meant; while the rest of the path was easy travel, they still had the entire valley to cross. She could only hope that they didn't come across any of the local creatures.