• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 5,875 Views, 229 Comments

A special request - chaos2012



Applejack needs Zecora to help her, but she must do something insane.

  • ...
6
 229
 5,875

Chapter 14: the homeland

The great city in the distance was perhaps the largest town that Applejack had ever seen before. Â Hundreds of tan buildings were spread out across the land. Throughout the mix of all of it were many tall desert palm trees lining the many streams that flowed from a large pond that sat in the very center of it all.

Even from a mile away, it was an immense mass that sprung up out of nowhere. The capital of Canterlot didn't even compare to the sheer mass that loomed in the distance. "What is this place?" Applejack asked.

Zecora walked forward to look at the massive city, "This is the center of the Zebra oasis. It is one that is the sight to travelers faces. A special well leaks to this lake, giving water so that the town does not bake." walking down the hillside, she signaled her companion to follow close behind.

Walking down the loose sand of the hill, the two of them came upon solid ground made up from a mix of light and dark sandstone. Applejack kept her gaze on the large city that began to grow even larger than before as they began to come closer to its proximity. A feeling of curiosity came over her as she thought about how the zebras in this town were compared to how pony's were back in her own home.

Before they came within the final quarter mile from the entrance to the city, Zecora stopped Applejack from continuing any further and looked her straight in the eye, "Now listen closely for what I tell, for you must make a story worthy to sell."

The former pony gave a curious look at Zecora, "Story to sell?"

"You cannot Say where you came from. Knowing you came from Ponyville will cause tension with some. Just say you live in the forest Everfree, and that you have been living as a companion with me."

Applejack was confused at this point now, "But what's so bad 'bout me saying ah live in Ponyville? If ah look like a zebra, why would it matter?"

"Seeing a zebra among pony's is frowned upon. They would push you out and make sure you were gone."

"But... Why do zebras hate pony's so much?"

Zecora didn't say anything as she turned back forward and continued to walk on. Applejack sat inside of her thoughts for several moments. 'What in the hay could've happened to make them hate us like this?'

---

Coming down the path, the two of them came up to an enormous wall that surrounded the city. Made out of a strong tan clay, it was at least forty feet in height above Applejacks head as she strained up to look at it. 'This darn thing is sure good protection i reckon.' she thought to herself.

The tall arched path under the wall was a true piece of work. Nearly every inch of the walls were etched with patterns and shapes, all made in the unique tribal designs similar to she form in which the cutie marks of zebras were designed. Seeing the sight made Applejack already amazed by the city already. When she passed under the wall, however, her jaw dropped to the ground.

The rows of long clay buildings stretched down far as she could see Along the tan sandstone paths. Palm trees stood high above the ground, creating long and shifting shadows as they blew in the gentle breeze. Many different masks similar to the ones set up inside of Zecora's hut were hung on the walls and post that were throughout the entrance courtyard. The thing about the city that caught Applejacks eyes most was its inhabitants.

Zebras.

Dozens of zebras walked down through the streets as they traveled to the shop they wanted to go to, or perhaps the new potion that was made at the mixing shop. Young Zebra filly's walked by as they chatted about. Adjoins things In which they were involved in recently. Many zebras turned to look at the former farmer, creating an uneasy feeling to grow inside of her chest. After a moment, however, they simply turned away from the face they didn't recognize and returned to whatever it was they were doing.

To Applejacks surprise, zebras l didn't look the same. Most zebras had the standard black and white pattern like Zecora did, while others had a tint of tan or brown mixed in with the white. And while all Zebras had a mohawk as part of their mane, the styles in which some of them had it in was truly fascinating; some had their Mohawk nearly shaved down save for a few inches, while others had curled and spun to a flowing wave design. Others had the back of their manes grow down almost like. applejack had hers, but with their own unique twists to it. Some had beads or ribbons tied in the ends, while others were pulled up tight in Ben wrapped around small wooden sticks.

Now Actually inside of the city, Applejack felt an enormous feeling of happiness come over her. 'Ah can't believe ah finally made it.' she thought to herself, 'Don't worry Applebloom, we are gonna get that medicine to ya soon.'

Zecora looked over to Applejack. "Let us go and find a place to stay. We can relax here for a day."

"We are gonna spend the night here?" Applejack asked curiously, "Ah thought ya wanted to just get the stuff fer the medicine."

"We have had a difficult way, so let us rest and slow down for a day. This is also where I'm from, so I wish to see faces to she what they have become."

Applejack realized that she had never even asked Zecora is she ever had family in all the times they talked back in Ponyville. Zecora had been completely isolated from all the ones she knew when she lived here for so long. Applejack could only imagine being separated from her family for a time like that. "Alright then, you know where we can stay?"

"There should be an inn right down this road. I am exhausted and want to drop my load." Zecora said as she glanced at her satchel. "perhaps you should take a break too. That leg which is bandaged was black and blue."

Applejack turned to look at the bandage wrapped around her ankle. Thankfully for her, it did not hurt her at all. "It's alright sugarcube. It ain't bad. And actually..." she turned completely around to see the large street market that was at the end of the road down by one of the flowing creeks. Her curiosity was itching at her to explore all of this new land, making her want to see what kind of things there were here. "Ah wanted to go by the market down there and check it out."

Zecora frowned at her, "You should not be down these roads alone and single. You have never been here, so you shouldn't just mingle."

"Ah'm alright. Ah just want to go and look around fer a little. Besides, no zebra can tell ah am a pony from yer disguise so far. Just fer like an hour. Then ah will meet ya down at the inn."

Zecora sat for a moment staring at her. Sighing, Zecora turned down the road she needed to go. "Do not be gone too late or out after dark, and do not go with a zebra to a place that is-"

"Zecora, don't worry about that." Applejack interjected, "Ah am definitely not going anywhere alone with some zebra stallion. Ah am also Probly not gonna buy anything. Ah just want to have a look."

Zecora gave a small nod, but still kept her upset look on her face. Turning, she waked down the path toward the inn she mentioned earlier, leaving Applejack alone in the street. "Alright Applejack..." she said to herself, "Let's go check out what zebras sell to each other."

Starting down the road to the market, she didn't notice the pair of curious eyes watching her go.