• Published 29th Sep 2012
  • 3,341 Views, 31 Comments

The Final "Equestian" Fantasy - KingofSquirrelz

  • ...
16
 31
 3,341

Prelude - The Tree of Life Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

In the realm of the gods, Asgard. Grew a tree mighty ash tree known as the world tree. Odin, the god of gods gave the task of nurturing this magnificent tree to the Norns. So it is as history knows them.

There stands an ash called Yggdrasil,
A mighty tree showered in white hail.
From there come the dews that fall in the valleys.
It stands evergreen above Urd’s Well.

From there come maidens, very wise,
Three from the lake that stands beneath the pole.
One is called Urd, another Verdandi,
Skuld the third; they carve into the tree
The lives and destinies of children.

The past, was known to Urd, she is well known for telling her sisters of the fate of those that have been forgotten in the thread of time.

The present was known Verdandj, her all seeing eye knew the 'now' of time, her cackling laughter took much enjoyment on the suffering of others.

Lastly, the future, known only to Skuld. She had been given the title of oracle, for she spoke of what is to come.

On a day like any other, as Skuld looked into the future to see the events of time. She saw a monstrous beast that she could not describe. A being of nothingness that ate away on the roots of the world tree Yggdrasil, its mighty network that touch all other trees of life that had taken root.

It had been given the name, Atlas.

When alerted of the threat, Odin told the Norns to send out the seeds of the great tree to all the other realms. They did as they were told, Urd, the master of the past, started to systematically open the realms one by one on the day of their creation. In hopes of one day finding a way to stop Atlas.

Now only time could tell, as Skuld did not know the future of what might be. As her sister changed the fabric of history.


A single seed.

It always has been there, waiting, digging its way into the earth below. Time, the variable factor that is always present. Long forgotten by history as it’s made its way down. As the offspring of the Tree of Life, Yggdrasil, the tree that connected all realms, had finally worked its way down to its ultimate goal.

The River Styx of Tartarus.

Tartarus, the land deep beneath the soil that sealed away the ancient evil creatures of the realm of the Equine. Guarded by the three headed dog Cerberus, a black furred monster that kept the ancients beasts at bay.

Until today, the day that the manafont of the realm was nearly sucked dry, the hours that all the magic of the realm was consumed. The day that is now written in history as the day of the Black Moon.

Seven seconds is what it took for the seed to fall from the earthen ceiling of Tartarus to the river of life below, the golden waves of the rushing river that sent the souls of the departed to the next life.

Four seconds is the time it took for the seed to germinate on the river bed. The small sampling took root in the river. Like a compass, the plant exploded into life digging deep into the soul of the world.

The twisting roots system absorbed the mana that the realm, as the primarily function of the tree was being realized.

To live.

On the surface, the air of the world seamed to chill. Unicorns could not tap into the mana of the realm with their alicorn horns. Pegasi fell through the clouds to the ground below, most were lucky and took flight to the wind, very few were unfortunate and fell hard to the ground below. Earth ponies natural strength that was fortified, dwindled, some had entire fields of crops whither is the span of a single day. All magic stopped, as the tree below worked its way in all directions.

By the time the issued was raised to the highest order in the land.

The mana had returned, and with it four of the largest trees of the realm had ever seen.

In the Everfree Forest bordering the town of Ponyville, a seven hundred foot willow tree stood in the middle of the forest next to the rapids of the Ponyville River. The forest sang with new life as the wind whipped through its many vines that draped down from its limbs.

Far off to the west, in the country of Romaneigha. The barren desert lands of the changeling nation now stood a mighty maple tree that scrapped the clouds above. The multicolored serrated leafs blew in the desert wind, giving beauty to the wasteland that it has not seen since its inception.

Several hundred miles east of the Country of Prance, where the once proud nation of the Crystal Kingdom once was. In the middle of a field of wild flowers, stood a Yew tree, its massive frame tore the sky as it branches stretched out in all directions, casting never ending shade on the ground below.

Far in the north to the homeland of the Dragon Nation of Verdean, near the southern border by the Village on Hoofswell. Now stood a large thick trunk of a mahogany tree, the ever pressing monolith of the deciduous evergreen cast a shadow over the entire town.

The time had come; the long awaited prelude of the realm had finally begun. As the trees resonated with the manafont, as it connected itself to the great Yggdrasil network that linked all realms of existence.

As the realm of the Equine made itself known, so did it make itself known to the beings that rest in-between the realms. The true monsters that lay in that shadows, Doom Train, Omega, and Atlas. Each of the world destroyers now set their sights on the new world that had been yet harvested for its resources.

As such, the sense of danger of the new tree was alerted of the creatures of the void that headed for it. So each of the four trees dug into the stream of life that flowed through the roots of the Yggdrasil network, each tree pulling of a seed of hope to defend them against the oncoming threat.