• Published 17th Jan 2012
  • 3,899 Views, 34 Comments

Derpy's Album - Spot Light



How Sparkler and Dinky came into Derpy's Life

  • ...
3
 34
 3,899

My Changed Life

I hope you have your box of tissues.

===============================================================================

Derpy stood in front her couch and stared down at her album. It was opened to the photo of when she got Dinky. But only she knew what was on the next page. Dare she turn it and finish the ride or stop half way. She was trembling and sweating and she couldn't take it any more. She sat down hard, cracked the floor boards, took the album and turned the next page. On this next page there was more then a photo, but she would get to that in a little bit. The photo was of her and her daughters on there last three weeks in Mainhattan. A tear fell from her eye, it was time to finish the memory.

"Let get over," She said sounding determined. These were the days she had to start a new life.

===============================================================================

Ditzy woke up and her head hurt, it had been seven weeks since she was released from the Hospital. She stayed home ever since she got out. She took care of the new addition to her family, Dinky and Sparkler was a huge help around the house. They three of them might not be blood related but they were a family no the less. She had it easy though with taking care of two unicorn fillies. She would take care of Dinky when she was home, then when Sparkler got home from school she would help out. The only problem was the house was two small. She needed some place new, some place where she could get away from all the trouble this town had caused.

"My head," she moaned as she got up. She got up and headed over to Dinky's crib which she kept in her room. The crib was a gift from Six-Shooter who's fouls didn't need it anymore. She peeked down into the bed, the little gray unicorn was all cuddled up with her blanket. Ditzy just smiled. She put her hoof on the little one's shoulder and gently shook her to wake up. Dinky yawned as she stretched and looked up at her mother and cooed.

"Mon ing lit tle one," she tried to say. She reached down and picked her up. Then she stretched out her wings and gently placed Dinky on her back and cradled her in her wings. She then headed to check to see if Sparkler was up. But she didn't have too the smell of eggs, muffins and Orange juice filled the air. The smell of muffins put her into a trance as she followed the smell down to the kitchen. There she found Sparkler cooking breakfast, but she was not alone, Six-Shooter and Night Stick where there as well. She quickly snapped out of it.

"Six Shoot er, Night Stick, what you do here?"

"Sparkler let us in," Six-Shooter implied.

"Well yes, but we asked first," Night Stick added. "Nice hair Ditzy,"

She quickly shook out her bed head.

"I have to hoof it to ya, Sparkler, your a good cook." Six-Shooter complemented.

"Well, I learned from the best." she replied.

Ditzy blushed. "A gain what you here?"

"We came to check on you to see how you are doing." Night Stick answered. "by the way Shooter has a gift for you."

Six-Shooter reached into a bag that he had and pulled out a foul carrier. "Now you don't need to carry Dinky on you back any more.

"Thank you. Night Stick can I talk you in next room?"

"Um Ok, Six-Shooter can talk with Sparkler." Ditzy hoofed Dinky over to Sparkler as the two of them left room. "What is it you wanted to talk about?"

"It Important." She looked down at the floor and kicked the floor gently. "Ever since be shot, I been think a bout change name."

"You want to change your name?" Night Stick was confused.

"Yes,"

"Why?"

"Can't say now, but I will change it from Ditzy to Derpy."

"So Miss. Derpy Doo?"

"Derpy Hooves," She replied.

"Why you telling me?"

"I trust you," Ditzy stepped up to Night Stick and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you."

Unsure of what to say next, The sheriff called for Six-Shooter and they both left. But he knew when she said "Thank you," that her time in this town was coming to an end. A tear fell from his eye.

Back inside, Ditzy stepped back into the kitchen. But she had sad look on her face.

"Mom, what's wrong?" Sparkler asked.

"Sweetie, we moving one week."

"Move, you mean leave?"

"Yes, I have friend in town called Ponyville who know a place we live."

"Why do we need to move?"

"Need new house so Dinky have own room."

Once she said that Sparkler understood.

"And for safe I need change my name, so if bad guys get out jail they won't find."

"Your dropping this on me now? Why didn't you tell me before?" Sparkler asked annoyed.

"Don't be mad," Ditzy said trying to calm Sparkler down, "I had to wait for new place be ready."

"How do you even what the place looks like?"

"Friend Carrot Top Ponyville sent photos. If want look them, in my room by bed."

Sparkler put the peaces together, "So you wanted to make shore that we could move before telling me. I get it. Sorry I almost snapped."

"It ok. Come give mom hug." Sparkler hugged her mom and went to feed Dinky. "I need you watch Dinky, I must go out," It's time to change name. She Stepped out side and flew to the place where one would get their name changed. After that she was no longer Ditzy Doo, she was now Derpy Hooves. After that she headed to the store to buy muffin ingredients, fresh paper and new quills. Then she decided to stop by the Station. She poked her head in.

"Hello?" she asked

"Oh hay Ditzy," It was Six-Shooter, who was filling out paper work. Derpy walked in.

"It no Ditzy, it Derpy now."

"Oh right, Sheriff Night Stick told me you would be changing your name. But this soon?"

"I had to. Is Night Stick here?"

"Surprisingly no; you see after we left your place earlier he didn't seem like his self. I couldn't put my hoof on it, but he seemed upset. I don't know why. Anyway I gave him the rest of the day off, so I'm covering for him."

"Know where is?"

"Sorry, I don't know where he is. He might be home, he might be out, I couldn't tell you. Why?"

"I need tell him something."

"Tell him what?"

"I moving one week."

"Wait what?"

"Wait to get note." Derpy didn't say anything more, she turned and flew off.

"What did she mean?" Six-Shooter wondered, "I need call Night Stick."

-----

As the week progressed. Sparkler found it easy with her mom having a new name, seeing how she only called her mom, but moving was the next biggest step for both of them. Sparkler had to say good bye to her friend Vinyl from school. But now known as Derpy, she had it the hardest. Her feelings were bothering her, she had been trying to talk with Night Stick, but he was never around. She only saw him one other time during the last week, and he just ignored her. She knew if she went and told him how she felt, she would never be able to leave. So she had to tell him one way and at the right time.

-----

It was the day of the move, this was the start of a new life. But Derpy had to do something before they left for good. He gathered up what she needed and flew a quick earned.

There was a knock at the door of the station.

"Shooter get that," sounded a grumpy Sheriff Night Stick. Shooter opened the door but there was no pony there, just a basket of muffins. "Who is it."

"It's a gift, Sheriff. But not just any gift it's a basket of muffins."

"Muffins?" Night Stick said disbelieving what he had herd.

"Yes, I take it you know who their from then." Night Stick just went back to work. "There is more," he reached into the basket and pulled out an envelope. "It's addressed to you Sheriff," Night Stick looked up and levitated the envelope over to him self and opened it. Out fell three things, the first was Derpy's police badge, then a photo of Derpy and last a letter. "What's it say?"

Night Stick read it. (Every Brony get your tissues ready)

Dear Night Stick

By the tome your done reading this I will have left town. As you know the last few weeks have been a pain for me after being shot. And gaining another filly is tough work in my small house. I have come to the conclusion that I must leave Manehattan. That is why my badge is in there, I'm turning it in. I left my gun and uniform at the bottom of the muffin basket. I'm leaving because of being sot. I can no longer preform my duties due to my eyes and if I couldn't protect myself or somepony else that night, I won't be able to do it again. I want to have my daughters grow up in a non-violent environment. I need to live In a place where I can protect them..

Now I bet your wondering why I'm telling all this through letter instead of in pony. This is the only way I can express how I feel. Night Stick, I've been on the force because of you. You helped me become a mother when Sparkler had nowhere to go. You were there when I pulled off my first arrest. You assigned me a great partner, Six-Shooter, to work with. And most of all, you saved me the night I went down. But it was me fult. You know my cutie mark, how it is seven bubbles, each bubble represents an important memory and three of them are memories of you, one of Six-Shooter, two are my daughters and the last one has yet to be filled. But what I'm trying to tell you is that, these past few years have been great and I love yo.

I've never told you that, not because I was afraid, but it would interfere with our job. So it would never have worked, as much as I would have wanted. I'm sorry if the paper is a bit splotchy, I'm crying. It's time for us to move on, so don't come find me. I'll always keep you in my heart. That photo that came in the envelope is to remind you of me.

Your close end

Derpy Hooves/Ditzy Doo

By the time he was done reading the letter, it was more splotchy then before. Tears were rushing down his face. He looked at Six-Shooter, who was trying to hold it in. "Six, can you go on patrol right now, I need to be alone." Six nodded as he wiped the tears from his eyes. Night Stick stayed at the station, pondering the next move. Then using his magic he pulled up a quill and peace of paper.

-------

Derpy flew ahead of the flying moving trucks so she could guide them to the new place in Ponyville. They were almost there, her life of Mainhattan was behind her. As she flew she wore her filly carrier, she had Dinky in one slot and in the other was a book. Sparkler was in the truck with the movers. They flew for several miles; Mainhattan was out of site and Ponyville was in site. She knew she was going to start a new life there, she would need a job, and would have to put Sparkler and Dinky through school. It wasn't going to be easy. But she had friends here that could help her. The moving trucks entered the town. Derpy was happy she was going to start a new life. But she knew she would never forget her old friends back in Manehattan. She saw Carrot Top by her house and went to great her.

She hugged her friend and introduced her to Sparkler and Dinky. Then let out a small sigh.

"Is something the matter Derpy?" Carrot Top asked.

"No, Just remembering an old friend." Derpy smiled as her eyes drifted in different ways. This was her new life.

================================================================================

Derpy set her album down and stared at her badge, that was in it, then turned to the last page. On the last page wasn't a photo but a letter. A letter from somepony important. It was short, but she decided to read it anyway. (Grab your tissues again.)

Dear Derpy Hooves

It's me, Night Stick. By the time you read this you will probably have moved on with your life. I had no idea you felt that way about me. But I did feel the same way. But I kind of figured it out when you kissed me on the cheek, The only reason I didn't act on it was because, one It could have gotten in the way of the job and two because, there was another pony I was seeing. It's not cheating if we were never in a relationship. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I like to keep a private life. I still have these feelings, but you and I know that we couldn't act on them. I am no longer Sheriff, just recently my gun went off in my holster and crippled my left hind leg, Six-Shooter is now Sheriff. But anyway I got your letter you have some grammar problems, and muffins. I'm sending you your badge back to you because it's yours. if we don't see each other again, I hope you and daughters have a good life. I took my time writhing this letter when I started I was fine but now my leg is crippled. I'm sorry but I hope this letter finds you. I love you Derpy, and always will.

A Close Friend.

Former Sheriff Night Stick

Derpy started crying; so loud in fact that she woke up Sparkler and Dinky. The two rushed to see what was the matter.

"Mama," Dinky asked, "Why you crying?"

"Oh Dinky," she sobbed as she hugged her youngest. "Mama is fine."

"Then why are you crying?" Sparkler asked. She looked at what was in front of her mom. "You were looking at the album again weren't you."

Derpy nodded, Sparkler went in and hugged her mom. "It's ok mom, you miss them, but keep in mind just because they are not around doesn't mean there gone. if it wasn't for Night Stick, you wouldn't have us." Derpy pulled away and wiped some tears from her eyes.

"Don't cry mama." Dinky said in a high pitched voice. "What were you reading that made you cry?"

"I tell you when older."

"Mom on your next day off from mail duty, why don't we go out, and have a Mother, Daughter day?" Sparkler suggested.

"I like that." She set Dinky down and her daughters were about to go back to bed. "Wait, could you stay with me for the rest of the night?"

"Shore mom," Sparkler answered.

Derpy shoved the album back under the couch. and her daughters cuddled up next to her. She place her wings over them, blew out the light and they all fell asleep. It's late at night in Ponyville; all of the lights are out in all of the houses...

================================================================================

That's Derpy's Album. I hoped you liked it. Now I got to go dry my face off.

Comments ( 12 )

THE BOX IS NO MORE:raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry:

ps: you need a proof reader!

326929I'll be shore to fix that. but note that in the letter Derpy wrote, I did misspell some words wrong on purpose

328424 ya i know that but i mean in other stuff

Love this story!!! I read the 3 chapters without stopping. I feel bad about Derpy an Sheriff Night Stick, they need a chance:heart:!!!
Now if you excuse me, I need another box of tissues :fluttercry:

328544wll if you want to write a story about that feel free. But I;ll have you know I might be the writer to this story but even I cried:raritycry: when writing those letters.

348027 Thanks for the permission n.n! but sadly im more of a reader that a writer, actually, i kinda fail at writing stories and such, i always got average to bad grades on my writing homeworks:twilightsheepish:.
And I believe that the feelling you put in your story is what makes it enyojable!!! So thank you again for this story!!!:twilightsmile:

I love it, great job, few errors, but i can deal, wonderful story overall :derpytongue2:

798899 blame the spell checker

Huh... :fluttershysad: Derpy was a cop? That's a new spin on things... But hehe, nup no tissues needed :flutterrage: HA I win, It was moving but, there are a few grammar problems, one being buy instead of by.. But I relent, I'm no :twilightsmile:

1245642 I need someone to proof read

Strange, this story wasn't nearly as emotional as before. I guess it was mainly because I was focusing on the errors way too much. I guess the time I spent with this fandom and the Derpy I have come to love have kind of hindered this a little. Not to the point where it was unreadable, but just enough to make some more flaws noticable.

Login or register to comment