• Published 22nd Jan 2012
  • 3,545 Views, 106 Comments

A Dragonborn, Destiny, and Very Small Horses - DarrParrot



A portal to Black Marsh, or something more sinister? Darr-Ei is chosen to explore this strange realm

  • ...
5
 106
 3,545

The Second

A Dragonborn, Destiny, and Very Small Horses

Part 2: In Which I Figure Out Why I Was Hunted and What The Hell Is Going On

By DarrParrot

The members of the crowd unsheathed whatever weapons they had and all of them, at least 30, faced towards me and their fallen brother. I held Neck Taker to my side and turned to face the crowd, not betraying any sense of worry. I stared them down, daring them to try and attack me. A cold wind began to blow, definitely creating a sense of anxiety. Silence reigned for a minute but was interrupted when my attacker began to cough up blood.

I heard someone in the crowd yell, and then the crowd began to stir, motivated to attack me by the sight of their comrade in pain. A Breton in the crowd who was closest to me smiled, and ran towards me. Spurred by this sudden action, the entire crowd charged toward me. It's high time I made my exit I thought . I turned away from the crowd and began to sprint down the winding path that led out of the city. I got a bit of a head start before they all started chasing after me. The footsteps following me were thunder, providing incentive for me to move faster than I ever have. I could easily have killed all of them but I decided the effort was not worth it. They might even have been misled! I wasn't going to risk killing an innocent. Not this time. I continued down the pathway, dodging arrows, and assorted missiles, when I eventually arrived at the stables. I looked behind me and saw the crowd catching up as they passed the arch that separates Whiterun from the outside world. I knocked on the stable door frantically, but stopped when I realized that they already know where I am. I stood where I was while I watched the crowd stop moving and stand where they were. They knew I could not run, because it would be a useless exertion. They thought that I would give myself up. I don't think they knew that I, Darr-Ei, was Dragonborn. They should've known that. Things would've went a lot better for them. I took out Luna and approached the crowd that was standing still, patiently awaiting my surrender. I did a slight flourish with the scimitar, menacing the crowd, and that's when a thought occurred to me.

WHERE IN OBLIVION WERE THE GUARDS?! No sooner had I asked this to myself, I saw the captain of the guard come from behind the crowd, along with 10 other guards. This explained everything. Why there were no guards along the roads. Why no one sought to stop the crowd of people with that odd insignia. The captain of the guard, Caius, walked briskly towards me and stood at least a foot away from me.

"You may be asking yourself, 'why is Caius betraying me after I saved his city?' and you would be right to question me." Said Caius himself. He continued "Well, my lizard friend, I am betraying you because you seek to increase your own power over this city by intimidating us with your magical prowess. This I will not stand for. You may be a friend of the legion, and the jarl, but you are not my friend, nor are you a friend of the cities’ denizens." He turned away from me and signaled his guards, and they came forward weapons drawn.

"What are you even talking about you DAMN TRAITOR!?" I yelled at him. He did not reply, but he pointed off in the distance. I could see, just above where the Greybeards lived atop High Hrothgar, presumably on the throat of the world, a very bright light. "I fail to see the relevance of this.." I began to say, before I was interrupted by a white flash of light that seemed to come from the anomaly atop the mountain. I was still confused as to how this could be a horrible thing. This whole situation seemed far-fetched, and hardly warranting of the murder of a hero such as myself. "How is this my fault!?" I shouted to the crowd. A guard simply pointed with a grim look on his face towards the mountain once more. I was awestruck. The light somehow...projected an image of what looked like Black Marsh.

"So this is why you think it's me. I’m an Argonian and it looks like Black Marsh. Oh gods! That’s moronic! It barely makes sense!" I began to laugh hysterically, out of disbelief and anger, falling on the ground. I wouldn't stop laughing until an arrow hit the ground by my knee. One of the guards had a bow. Ironically enough, he was an adventurer in his younger years, before he took an arrow to the knee, disabling him. His leg wouldn’t allow him to journey for very long so he decided to become a guard, apparently. Another arrow from a non-handicapped guard struck the ground to my right. I promptly got up, and once again brandished Luna.

I prepared my Shout and ran toward the crowd of 40 or 50 people. If I remember correctly, a certain fear shown in the eyes of some of the crowd members. (This is where they realize their mistakes. Their fatal mistake.)

***

Caius saw me approaching and pushed through to the back of the crowd, leaving a random citizen to take his place. I did not care. I knee'd the citizen in the stomach, lifting him into the air. While he was still in the air, I took my scimitar and shoved it into his stomach, impaling him in mid-air. I felt the blood flow slowly onto the hilt of my blade, trickling downward onto my hand. I used his body as a shield for those trying to attack me from the front. His body took most of the blows, and for those that I had to parry, I simply used his body. If I recall correctly, his features were basically unrecognizable by the time I was done using him as a shield. I grabbed his leg and I used my right hand to grab Luna providing a good handhold to throw him into the crowd. I leaped back, leaving the citizens closest to me without a target to hit, and I turned his body sideways and threw him into the crowd. This subdued a few of the members of the crowd, knocking them to the ground and this left me my scimitar in my hand.

I was a few feet away from most of the crowd members, so I used the respite to figure out what to do. I must find the Jarl and protect him. He's done me well enough in the past. He should be able to tell me what to do about that portal on top of the Throat of the World. I decided to cut through whoever would resist and make my way to Dragonsreach. I would need to end this quickly or the Jarl might be dead. Despite what you may think, the Jarl is a good man. Sound decisions... and a general good man. The crowd started towards me, recovering from the blow I dealt them. I wished to break them, now. I would have just spared some of their lives, but now they would not get that. This has gone on long enough, and was just asinine enough for me to break into... murderous disappointment. I mustered my inner strength, my feelings, and my energy, to ensure he would hear me, wherever he may be in this world. and I let forth the Dragon Call.

"ODAHVIING!!"

***

I jumped into the fray once more and carried a ball of flames in my right hand. I did a vast sweep with my right hand burning the face of a Redguard beggar . He fell to the cobblestone pavement, writhing in pain and I swept the front lines of the crowd with the flame spell. The whole front line of the crowd was pushed back and I charged into them. My axe swung from left to right, as a harvester collects crops during the harvest. I find it important to mention that I was collecting body parts instead of crops. I must carry this point across. It is rather important that I do. Blood spattered across my face and armor and the crowd fell to me like... well, I can't use the harvester simile again, can I? I had murdered at least ten people with that assault alone, when a thunderous roar shook the skies. I saw a purplish-red dragon come from the sky and land on top of the arch where I was murdering those who followed Caius’ red plan. The dragon’s mere presence affected the villages as I thought it would. Most of the villagers, scared out of their fighting spirit and wits, ran past me and hid in hay bales or wherever a dragon could not find them. There were still the guards and some stubborn rebels to deal with. I took Neck Taker back out and me and Odahviing went to work. I decided to show the rebels what they would face. I advanced slowly upon a breton whose leg was broken. He laid upon the ground, agonized, terrified...vulnerable. He begged for his life and I simply raised the axe, and let it fall. It all seemed to happen in slow motion. His head rolled from his shoulders and the breton’s soul made the journey into whatever afterlife existed. It may have looked at me, for heads seem to keep some semblance of sentience when separated from the body. Oh dear. I seemed to have went into one of those tangents. I don’t quite care. Read on, friends.

***

I was rather bloody from the carnage that had just ensued. I walked onward towards the castle. Odahviing swallowed one of the rebels whole and looked at me. "Dovahkiin." said he, and Odahviing lifted off from the ground, off to roost wherever he felt was appropriate. I was disappointed. I always feel the urge to high-five Odahviing after we end a skirmish. Sadly, he always leaves before I can ask him, or even attempt to. Perhaps Dragons do not feel the need to high-five as men and mer do? I resolved to teach him the ways of human compassion, and high-fiving. I considered walking to the palace, but I figured time was of the essence. I ran to the palace doors, where a couple of guards were trying to break down the doors with a battering ram. They seemed to be consumed in their task to notice me. This would be an easy kill I thought to my self. I took out my axe and a guard just so happened to have put his body to the wall to try and push the door down or perhaps weaken it. My laughter almost betrayed my presence, so I decided to end it before I had to kill them with some amount of effort. I lifted Neck Taker and brought it down with as much force as possible, splitting his skull and lodging the axe firmly into the door. The guard surprised by the death of a perhaps, close friend, fell to his knees and struggled to unsheathe his sword. I simply looked at him and uttered this, "What is going on?".

***

He told me everything. The angry, unskilled mob thought I was behind the portal to what appeared to be Black Marsh. They were worried that I was trying to lead an Argonian invasion in Skyrim. They accused the Jarl of treason and tried to rebel against him. Those with the strange insignia were an anti-magic group called the Grounded, who just so happened to hate Argonians. Lucky for me right? They arrived in Whiterun some time after that portal appeared, apparently. No one has been to the portal yet, considering it is on top of a gods-damned mountain. I had heard enough of his traitorous words. I knocked the soldier out with the haft of my axe and yelled to the Jarl (or rather the Jarl’s door). "IT'S SAFE! YOU CAN UNLOCK THE DOOR!"

The door slowly opened and I walked into the hall of Jarl Barlgruuf. The atmosphere was shadowy, as was custom during wartime. His personal guards stared at me as I walked in. They watched me from behind pillars and menaced me, perhaps on the verge of believing the Grounded's lies.

I walked up the stairs and into the dining room. The Jarl was on his throne, with a sullen look in his eyes, and Orcish armor adorning on his body. I always thought that Nords, being the proud race they are, would only wear their weak steel armor. I digress. The dark elf, Irileth was by his side, and his advisor was standing right by him, oddly enough, dressed in armor as well. The imperial advisor, Aventus, his name was, seemed sullen as always. Irileth looked at me as I approached, hopefully in admiration. I... fancied her. She seemed like she had many a good story to tell, and would be a great companion. I have a thing for Dark Elves. And every other race. Except the Sload. Gods the Sload are disgusting. Yet so intriguing. Y’know, there was a famous Sload necromancer called K’vasta, if I remember correctly. He was very intelligent. Terrifyingly so. Hated pretty much everything. He was killed by a Redgaurd named- Oh, anyway, back to the Jarl. He stood up and gestured for me to come to him. I walked a little bit faster and I stopped in front of him.

"I feel dishonored for saying this so many times to the same man, but please... figure out what in Shor's name is going on, and why things keep happening like this. Go to the Throat and enter the portal. Tell us where it leads and if the denizens plan on invading."

I was slightly unnerved by the prospect of entering a mysterious portal. Who knew what could be inside that place, especially when it looked so similar to Black Marsh? For those who don’t know, Black Marsh is a horrible gods-damned place. Pretty much anything there will kill you. I voiced this opinion to him, which he promptly blew off, saying that I had faced worse. I had to agree, as much as I did not want to. I left the palace of the Jarl and headed to my home. I opened the door, surprised to find that it had not been looted prior to the events of this morning. Perhaps the Grounded were too busy chasing me. I opened my chest of items and retrieved my daedric armor, that I dubbed the Dark Aegis. It's appearance still gave me a feeling of power and a literal feeling of vigor. I wore my gauntlets of daedric origin and replaced my Neck Taker with my war hammer, the Onyx Soul Crusher. I felt I had prepared sufficiently enough for the difficult, trying times ahead of me. I opened the door, assaulted by brightness, cold, and blinding white light. Oh and lots of blood. Blood on the streets, flowing gracefully from the bodies, dripping into the grooves of the cobblestone. I became hungry.

Truly a special day indeed.

END OF THE CHAPTER WOOT WOOT