• Published 3rd Apr 2023
  • 271 Views, 180 Comments

Thomas and Friends: Journey beyond Cornwall - The Blue EM2



"Fall Moon! Dark be the land! Hush! Hush! Oak, Ash, and Thorn!"-J.R.R. Tolkien

  • ...
5
 180
 271

The Most Important Thing is Being Friends!

As the wall rocketed down, Misty suddenly looked up. "This is go-"

"Misty!" Pipp cried, as she gunned Sophie's throttle to get closer.

Frankie laughed. "At last! No more leaks! The threat is dealt with!"

But then, to everybody's surprise, the wall stopped moving before it hit the ground.

"NO!" the diesel cried. "WHY DID IT STOP?"

There was a shudder, and a sudden blast of blue energy. To all observing, they could see Misty somehow holding the wall in place, and even beginning to push it back.

"Err, guys?" she asked, looking visibly confused. "What's happening?"

Suddenly, she gained a blue translucent sheen over the top of her own skin, and her eyes started to glow. She shoved the wall up into its original position, and then turned as a pair of news ears appeared atop her head, combined with a new ponytail.

"O. M. GOODNESS!" Pipp squealed, and grabbed her phone to take a picture. "Look at this, guys! Misty's ponied up!"

Streams of blue energy shot from Misty's hands, producing a channel which redirected the flow of the slag liquid. It began to drift away from those concerns, which was certainly a relief for all those concerned. This was a positive development.

Misty then turned, and seeing several rakes of wagons coming towards her, proceeded to project a blast of energy to bring them to a safe stop.

Frankie was apopleptic. "Why does that little grub get all the power?" she said. "How can such a worm be considered worthy of such a thing?"

Unfortunately for her, the rant meant she wasn't looking where she was going. She crashed into the trucks and derailed, tipping onto her side and stopping in place. Being on her side, she was unable to move. "Curse those meddling kids!"

Up above, Sprout's armour fell apart from the sustained force of the attack. Tempest touched down before him as the self styled Generalissimo looked up. "You've caused quite a lot of trouble for many people," she said, sternly. "Anything you want to say before we take you into custody?"

Sprout looked up. "Eat this." He pushed down on a button on one of the few remaining bits of the armour he had.

A loud siren began to blare throughout the facility. "WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. THIS FACILITY WILL EXPLODE IN FIVE MINUTES. EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. THIS FACILITY WILL EXPLODE IN FIVE MINUTES. EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY."

Misty sprinted for Bellerophon. "Come on!" she shouted. "We have to go, now!"

The other engines began to move towards the exit, taking nothing with them. Pipp even snapped a few photos as evidence of the place.

Porter finally got free of the trucks and rumbled backwards out of the building. Both he and Bellerophon were about to leave when suddenly they spotted something.

"We can't leave without Hurricane!" Bellerophon called.

"What? We need to get out of here!" Porter replied.

"WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. THIS FACILITY WILL EXPLODE IN FOUR MINUTES. EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. THIS FACILITY WILL EXPLODE IN FOUR MINUTES. EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY."

"If we leave him, what sort of friends does that make us?" Misty asked. "You go and take Bellerophon. I'll push Hurricane out-"

Just as she said this, her powered up form conked out. "What?"

"Looks like we're pulling him out together!" Porter replied.

"You get the couplings set!" Izzy called to Misty. "We'll pull back!"

The two engines were moved into position and Misty ran the couplings round. Hurricane glanced back. "I can still supply some power to my central axle," he said. "Let's go."

The engines finally began to move, shifting the heavy load backwards out of the facility.

"WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. THIS FACILITY WILL EXPLODE IN THREE MINUTES. EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. THIS FACILITY WILL EXPLODE IN THREE MINUTES. EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY."

They continued to shift backwards. Things were already starting to explode. Several of the spectra vats before them burst, splling their rainbow cargo all across the floor and making a massive mess. The doors were so close now, when suddenly a new message played.

"THE CUTOFF FOR DISABLING THE AUTOMATIC DOOR CLOSING SYSTEM HAS EXPIRED. THE DOORS WILL NOW BEGIN CLOSING. REPEAT: THE CUTOFF FOR DISABLING THE AUTOMATIC DOOR CLOSING SYSTEM HAS EXPIRED. THE DOORS WILL NOW BEGIN CLOSING."

"Move it!" Porter shouted. "We might get trapped in here!"

Both engines picked up the pace as they closed in on the door. More explosions rocked the upper levels of the building. Several support beams and metal girders fell from the rafters and blew other things up. The ground below was being flattened by falling debris.

The engines got clear just in time. Seconds after Hurricane's front bufferbeam cleared the door, it slammed shut, leaving anybody who hadn't escaped trapped inside.

"WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. THIS FACILITY WILL EXPLODE IN TWO MINUTES. EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. WARNING. WARNING. SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM ACTIVATED. THIS FACILITY WILL EXPLODE IN TWO MINUTES. EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY."

Finally, everybody had left the facility, and made a beeline for the yard. They timed it well too. As they hit the main line, the explosives began to detonate, and the facility began to collapse in on itself. The spectra tanks ruptured, which produced a massive explosion that could be seen for miles.


Back in the yard, Tempest got to work on looking at Hurricane. "It shouldn't be too much work getting you back into working order," she said, with a smile. "A few connecting rods and you'll be good to go."

"If at all possible, I'd like to remain here with you guys," Hurricane said. "I'll do all I can to assist you in the fight against Opaline."

"Your contributions would certainly be welcome," Asleigh said. "Welcome to the team, Hurricane!"

"Arise, Sir Hurricane!" Sir Gillemere said. "For you are the newest Knight of the Round! And that brave soul who saved us in the steelworks? You are hereby pronounced Dame Misty, for services meritorious to the realm!"

Suddenly, a figure appeared on Hurricane's footplate, a taller woman with peachy skin and green hair. "I second that!" she said. "She did a lot of good work helping us defeat Frankie. I'm Celaeno, by the way. Had to keep a low profile there!"

Misty laughed nervously. "Oh, I couldn't. I'm not worthy of such an honour."

"Don't be silly!" Sophie said. "You got us out of a sticky situation there!"


The next morning the convoy set off. Sophie was towing Porter and Bellerophon back towards Cornwall. Izzy then spoke up over the radio. "Hey, Pipp?"

"Yes, Izzy?"

"Sorry for taking your trucks. I know you wanted to take them to Darlington."

Pipp sighed. "I'm sorry too. I was totes a drama queen over something that doesn't matter. Besides, Sophie and I aren't the favourites. If anybody's the favourite, you and Porter are."

"Don't be silly, Pipp!" Izzy said, and as music began to fade in within the background, she began to speak in rhythm.

"Nobody has to be the favourite!"

She then graduated to singing.

"It's not a competition in the end!
It doesn't matter if you prove that you're the very best/
But what will happen when you put your friendship to the test?
Never mind about who is the favourite!
The most important thing is being friends!"

The group then spoke collectively. "The most important thing is being friends!"

Except Porter. "I'm still not happy about this being a musical."

Back at the LLF yard, Ashleigh and Fergus suddenly began singing.

"Everybody can help!
Everybody join in!
When everybody has a part to play-"

Hurricane interjected. "Then everybody can win!"

Everybody assembled at the yard then began singing as well.

"Everybody can help!
Red, green, yellow or blue!
When you're ready to try/
You'll find out what you can do!"

Further up the line, Sophie, Porter, and Bellerophon were passing by Ronald, and they all began to collectively sing.

"Everybody can help!
What I'm saying is true!
When you give it a try/
You'll find out what you can do!"

The trio continued singing on their own as they crossed the Brunel Bridge several hours later, crossing back into their home of Cornwall.

"Nobody has to be the favourite!
It's not a competition in the end!
It doesn't matter if you prove/
That you're the very best!
But what will happen when you/
Put your friendship to the test?"

As they coasted past the Haven residence, Lord Haven briefly joined in.

"Never mind about/
Who is the favourite!
The most important thing/
is being friends!"

As they rolled into Falmouth Yard, everybody suddenly assembled and joined in. Including Charles and Rebecca, now fully fixed and back in working order, waiting in the shed for their friends.

"Nobody has to be the favourite!
(Everybody can help!)
It's not a competition in the end!
(Everybody join in!)

"It doesn't matter if you prove/
That you're the very best!"

Charles then contributed to a musical number for the first ever time. "Everybody can win!"

Before everybody else sang the next line. "But what will happen when you
Put your friendship to the test?"

Back in the LLF Yard, Hurricane sang once more. "Never mind about who is the favourite!"

And then his new friends all joined him. "The most important thing
is being friends!"

And finally, back in Cornwall, the final line of the song was completed with a big Broadway finish. "The most important thing
is being friends!"

As the music died down, Charles glanced over. "Hello again. Did I miss anything whilst I was away?"

Author's Note:

And here we are once more, the end of another story. This story was an interesting one, to say the least, as although JBS isn't the greatest film ever, it serves very well as an end to Thomas the Tank Engine's story (a much better end than a load of nonsense about animal faces). But I can assure this is not the end for these characters. Far from it, as a matter of fact.

And so, roll credits!