• Published 15th Feb 2023
  • 233 Views, 8 Comments

The Young Warrior: Ocellus's Path - Melody Song



While the Royal Changeling Brothers and Apex walk the paths of their destinies, Ocellus finds her own.

  • ...
 8
 233

Epilogue: Off Into The World

“Ocellus, hurry up or you’re going to make us late!” Pharynx’s voice rang through the halls of the Hive.

Ocellus rushed through the Hive in response to the shout, straightening her saddlebags as she went. She headed immediately for the entrance of the Hive, where she could see Thorax and Pharynx waiting for her. Apex was standing between them, trying to look serious, and Ocellus knew why, of course. The three were going to escort her to Ponyville – the very same town where a particular skirmish between the ponies and changelings had been near. The battle that ended in a stalemate, all because Ocellus helped Pharynx abandon the Hive to join his family.

Now, however, Ocellus was going to Ponyville because she had been invited. Specifically, Thorax had been requested to send a single nymph to a school Princess Twilight Sparkle was opening, a School of Friendship. And Thorax and Pharynx had agreed no other nymph but Ocellus would do. Their royal advisor would be the perfect student to represent their kind.

“Sorry Pharynx, I was saying goodbye to my younger siblings.” Ocellus told him as she stopped before the royals, looking up at them with a smile.

“It’s alright Ocellus.” Thorax told her kindly as Apex jumped onto his head, having apparently had enough of trying to look serious. “Have you got all your things?”

“I have everything I need.” Ocellus assured him, then fidgeted. “But I’m a little nervous… I won’t know anyone…”

“Well, Ember is going to bring a student from the Dragonlands, and since she and I know each other, I’m sure she’d be happy to introduce her student to you.” Thorax told Ocellus.

This didn’t exactly reassure Ocellus. From what Thorax had told her, Ember herself sounded like a nice enough creature. But Ocellus knew from the stories infiltrators told in the Old Days that other dragons tended to be rude and rebellious, not exactly the kind or loving type. Ocellus wasn’t sure she could get along with a creature like that.

“You’ll be fine, kid.” Pharynx said, gently cuffing her over the ears with a hoof. “You’re nearly fifteen, when I was your age I was already the Head General.”

Ocellus noticed a more somber tone overtake Pharynx’s voice at that last part, but dismissed it. She was more nervous for herself at the moment. Still, she gave the Prince-General a slight smile.

“Thanks Pharynx. But I don’t think this is quite the same.”

“Whatever. Point is, you’ll survive, it’s just a new school.” He said, before promptly wacking her on the shoulder, causing her to yelp slightly. “And you better write, you know Thorax will panic if he doesn’t get a letter from you at least once a week.”

Thorax turned red. “Pharynx!”

“What? You told me just last night that you were going to make sure she has a way of contacting us.”

“For emergencies.” Thorax said quickly, giving his brother an embarrassed glare, though Ocellus still giggled. The King then glanced back at her, eyes soft. “Don’t feel pressured to write if you don’t feel like it, okay?”

“Okay Thorax, I’ll keep that in mind.” Ocellus told him dutifully, then glanced between the brothers with a sly smile. “Now, I’ve been ready for the past ten minutes or so, so now who’s making us late?”

Thorax and Pharynx blinked simultaneously, looking at each other in alarm.

“Oh cra-”

“No, Pharynx!” Thorax silenced him, pointing to Apex, who was still perched on the alpha changeling’s head.

Pharynx rolled his eyes. “Whatever, we’ve got to go!”

Ocellus giggled and nodded, and together, the three spread open their wings, taking off into the air. A shout from Apex as they began to move away from the Hive made Ocellus look over, initially concerned, but she just smiled when she saw what had caused the noise. The younger nymph was squealing in delight as he clutched his father-figure’s antler, looking down at the world below. Ocellus followed his gaze and found she shared in his excitement. The world seemed so small from up above, and yet so massive at the same time.

Finally, Ocellus was going to see more of the world. Just as she had always imagined. She would be able to see if everything was just like she had dreamed. Even if it wasn’t, Ocellus knew she wouldn’t mind. She was going off into the world on a new adventure, and she could tell she was going to love every minute of it.

-------------------------------

“Are you ready, Ocellus?” Thorax asked her in a low voice.

Ocellus nodded silently. She had had quite an ordeal for just a first week at school. Among other things, this included skipping class and running away from the Hive – two things she thought she’d never do and was still surprised she hadn’t been in major trouble for. But upon further reflection, she had also made five new friends, including a very pretty orange dragoness with purple accents named Smolder. Ocellus blushed just thinking about the girl, though she did her best to keep these thoughts to herself. Ancestors forbid that Pharynx ever found out, he’d never let her hear the end of it.

All in all though, Ocellus couldn’t find a reason to complain. She was happy with the way things had turned out. New friends, and a brand new school with brand new things to learn.

“You sure?” Pharynx looked down at her, still not seeming convinced.

“I’m positive.” Ocellus turned and hugged them both. They had left Apex behind this time, since it was only going to be a short goodbye. “I promise, I’ll be okay here. I have friends now! And I know it’ll be different since I can’t give advice directly but you can write whenever there’s a problem and I can reply-”

“Not if it interferes with school you won’t.” Pharynx told her.

“Obviously.” Ocellus replied with a slight eye roll – Smolder had shown her how to do one, and had been very impressed she’d managed to pull it off, considering she didn’t have pupils.

“Hey, don’t roll your eyes at me.”

“You do it to me and Thorax all the time.” Ocellus pointed out cheekily, and Pharynx huffed. She grinned, knowing he was keeping quiet because he couldn’t think of a retort.

“You’ll visit us, won’t you?” Thorax asked

“Of course I will, every holiday. And you can visit during open house days.” Ocellus agreed, smiling.

“Alright… go on then.” Thorax smiled at her happily. “Have fun at school.”

“I will.” Ocellus hesitated, then hugged them both again. “I love you guys.”

“We love you too Ocellus.” Thorax said instantly, leaning down to join in the hug.

“...Y-Yeah. Love you kid.” Pharynx agreed after a minute, briefly hugging her as well.

Ocellus didn’t really need the verbal confirmation though. She could taste how much they cared about her, the flavor a familiar sour-candy sweet. Her taste signature for domus, otherwise known as family.

“Bye.” Ocellus said, smiling and waving at them as she turned and headed towards the five creatures so wonderfully unlike her, that she could now proudly call her friends.

As Ocellus headed for them, she took one last look back. Thorax was smiling encouragingly from between his brother and the Dragon Lordess Ember, waving at her. Pharynx, on the other hoof, was looking off in the opposite direction. Ocellus could tell he was doing this to pretend he wasn’t really that bothered about her leaving. She knew otherwise though.

“Bye Thorax, bye Pharynx.” Ocellus thought, giving them a final wave as she joined her new friends. “I’ll see you two again soon. I love you, my fratres… my brothers.”

The End

Author's Note:

And thus, Ocellus' Path has concluded! But her story is not over, as she now has joined the Royal Family in their adventures. Join the family next time in...

Apex's Choice

~Melody Song

Comments ( 2 )

11518810
Shouldn't there be an alternate universe tag, then?

11562935
...Possibly. Idk for sure. But I always submit all my stories for review and when this one was approved it didn't mention requiring one, so...???

Login or register to comment