• Published 15th Feb 2023
  • 232 Views, 8 Comments

The Young Warrior: Ocellus's Path - Melody Song



While the Royal Changeling Brothers and Apex walk the paths of their destinies, Ocellus finds her own.

  • ...
 8
 232

My Path Led Me Here

Ocellus trotted through the new Hive of reformed changelings. She was heading for one room in particular, which she entered and gazed around, still not quite sure she'd ever stop being in awe. The now open-air throne room was a beautiful place, the vegetation beginning to grow creating a light, fantastical aura, enhanced further by the sheer amount of ambient love the Hive tended to radiate. Ocellus approached the center of the room, smiling kindly at the alpha changeling lounging on the great oak throne before her. An energetic nymph and stern looking beta changeling sat on either side of the wooden structure, heads held high.

“Ocellus!” The alpha changeling cried in greeting, a smile on his face.

The alpha was Thorax, the Rankless One, now King of the entire Hive. Ocellus had to admit she had not seen this coming, but from what little she knew of Thorax prior to the reformation, she could not think of a more worthy changeling to guide their kind to a new beginning.

The beta changeling beside Thorax’s throne grunted in greeting, as opposed to Thorax’s friendly smile. Ocellus had to stifle a giggle – she was still getting used to Pharynx-dominus' new form. The beta changeling was by no means ugly, she had to admit his new form made him look very regal, yet still as commanding as always. However, his attitude had not changed alongside his appearance, and now the only noticeable difference between his old self and the reformed one was a clear amount of love that constantly shone in his stern lavender eyes.

“What brings you by?” Thorax asked Ocellus as the nymph moved closer to Thorax. The nymph was, of course, Apex-legatus, Pharynx-dominus’ new deputy, and Thorax’s adoptive son.

“Oh, I just wanted to come visit and tell you…” Ocellus took a breath. “I’ve just cleared things with Cilia. As of now, I’m no longer a medic apprentice.”

“But I thought you enjoyed learning to be a medic. Did something happen?” Thorax asked, his eyes showing nothing but concern.

Ocellus gave him a small smile. She appreciated his concern very much, since she had few to care about like true family these days. She could scarcely believe, though, that she was now close with the royal family themselves.

After Queen Chrysalis’ downfall, Thorax had been the one to discover the medics, Ocellus, and her siblings hiding in the infirmary. He had witnessed Ocellus’ transformation, and been there to explain what happened when she emerged from what Cilia had described as a ‘cocoon of light’. Thorax, very surprised that someone else had discovered the key to transformation without even knowing it was possible, had taken a very keen interest in her.

At first, he had merely asked Ocellus to come with him and talk for a bit, answering her questions and asking his own. Ocellus had expected him to move on since then, as she was certain he had more important things to do than talk to a nymph, even if they had spoken once before, when Pharynx had hurt his hoof.

But surprisingly enough, he kept coming back, and he constantly invited Ocellus to join him, his brother, and Apex in everyday activities. Ocellus was surprised he hadn’t just taken an interest in her for her transformation, as soon she began to feel a connection to him and the others on a far deeper level than mere acquaintances. Though Ocellus was still unsure exactly how she thought of them, it definitely wasn’t something she felt any reason to object to.

“There’s nothing wrong.” Ocellus replied to Thorax, reassuring him. “I just… I did enjoy being a medic, and I will never forget the skills Cilia has taught me. However, I don’t believe I belong in that role anymore.”

“What do you mean?” Thorax asked, sitting down on the ground and pulling Apex closer. Ocellus recognized this as a clear sign that the king was getting ready to listen attentively, and pressed on.

“My only options in the old Hive would have been to be a medic, a warrior, or a nursery drone, the latter of which I was too young for. I felt that since I didn’t fit in among the warriors, a medic was my only option. I got a thrill from it, but I realize now it was only because I felt I was finally being useful. I loved the life of a medic, but I think it was simply because it involved more studying.”

“You enjoyed learning through mental instruction instead of physical.” Pharynx supplied, joining the three in the space before his brother’s throne.

“Exactly. I did find joy in healing others, but there is something Cilia explained that a medic should have that I just don’t. Confidence.” Ocellus explained.

“Oh really now?” Pharynx asked, raising a brow, his mouth forming a shape that almost resembled a smirk. “Because from the way you’re talking right now, you have me fooled on that.”

Ocellus blushed. “T-The problem is… I get nervous around those I don’t really know as more than a stranger or acquaintance. A-And if a medic is in a high-pressure situation to save someling’s life, they can’t really take the time to get familiar with them before beginning treatment…”

“You don’t want your lack of confidence to be the reason you failed – if failing at all.” Thorax said softly, almost as if reading her mind.

“Exactly.” Ocellus sighed, and Thorax reached to rest a hoof on her shoulder, eyes full of sympathy.

“I understand completely, Ocellus. My lack of confidence was one of the reasons I didn’t end up moving past an apprentice status. Another reason was of course, belief that warrior wasn’t the role for me and yet not having another option. But lack of confidence played a big part. I understand, you don’t want to disappoint anyone.”

“Or risk someone’s life.” Ocellus added quietly. “It’s why I couldn’t stay on as Cilia’s apprentice. She doesn’t need me at the moment anyway, between her and Needle, the Hive will be in good hooves. I guess if really needed, I could also step in for things like a cold or a fever. Nothing too high-stakes.”

“And that’s perfectly alright.” Thorax told her.

“I know. I just feel like… if even a medic’s role can’t suit me, what can I do?” Ocellus asked

Thorax fell silent, clearly thinking hard on Ocellus’ question, though he knew she likely didn’t expect him to have an answer. However, before Thorax could find a good response to Ocellus, Fema-equea entered the throne room, looking grim.

“Your highness, I have news. A Maulwurf has been spotted near the edge of the Hive’s territory.”

“A Maulwurf?” Thorax and Pharynx exclaimed as one, and Fema nodded.

“It seems to be an adult male, and it’s very persistant. Is there an action you would like us to take?”

Pharynx stood up and moved over to her to get the full details. Thorax pulled Apex closer, clearly panicked. Ocellus, however, fell into deep thought.

“For now, set up defensive perimeters around the border–”

“That won’t work, Maulwurfs can tunnel and their hides are nearly impenetrable.” Ocellus interrupted Pharynx mid-order, standing and walking over to the two warriors. “They’re also primarily herbivores, so it would make sense the Maulwurf is only showing up now – it wants the plants.”

Pharynx and Thorax stared at Ocellus as she turned to Fema.

“If you ask me, the Maulwurf just needs some kind of warning, telling it not to come back. And it just so happens there’s a particular plant medics use to expel poison from wounds that also will make a creature vomit if ingested.” Ocellus gave her a slight smile. “Try going to Cilia and Needle and requesting a small portion of their supply of yarrow. Then simply bait the Maulwurf so that it eats it. That way it won’t come back, knowing we have plants that can make it sick.”

Fema glanced at Pharynx, who gave her a nod.

“You heard her.”

Fema nodded, giving a bow to Pharynx and Thorax before leaving the room. Ocellus blushed slightly as she finally realized what she had just done.

“O-Oh… s-sorry… I-I just had an idea…”

“You don’t have to apologize Ocellus.” Thorax said, smiling at her.

“Tha’ was so cool!” Apex bounded up to her. “You knew wha’ t’do a’most ins’an’ly! Like Uncle Pharynx!”

“In fact, it gave me an idea.” Thorax added as he followed his son over, smiling faintly.

“It did?” Ocellus looked up at him curiously, his brother and son seeming equally confused.

“Ocellus, you clearly know a lot of information that I assume comes from a long time studying and reading.” Thorax smiled at her gently. “You also seem to be able to effortlessly recall relevant information when you see a problem, and put it to use to create a solution.”

“I just saw neither of you knew what to do, a-and remembered yarrow makes you sick…”

“Which was helpful!” Thorax smiled at her. “I think I have just the role for you, Ocellus.”

“Y-You do?” Ocellus asked, surprised, and Thorax nodded.

He then looked to Pharynx, gazing at his brother for a long moment. The two seemed to be nonverbally communicating based on the expressions they threw at each other. Ocellus had heard that changeling twins had a sort of mental mindlink, so it wasn’t completely improbable that they could speak to each other via eye contact alone. Her thoughts were disrupted as finally, Pharynx nodded at his brother, and Thorax turned back to Ocellus.

“You remember how, in the old days, I was Pharynx’s unofficial advisor?” Thorax asked

“Yes… you mentioned that… you told me it was so you technically would have a role in the Hive and your mother wouldn’t punish you.”

“Yes, well, as it wasn’t an official position, I was still rankless. But, no one’s saying it can’t become an official position.”

Ocellus’ eyes widened. “Y-You don’t mean…”

“Ocellus, would you like to be Ocellus-consiliaria? Advisor of the royal family?” Thorax asked

“I… r-really?!”

“Of course, if you want to be.”

“Yes!” Ocellus exclaimed gleefully, and Thorax hugged her. She hugged back, smiling widely at the alpha changeling. “Thank you Thorax, thank you!”

“Heh, of course Ocellus.” He told her, smiling.

Author's Note:

Just the epilogue to go!

~Melody Song