• Published 15th Feb 2023
  • 229 Views, 8 Comments

The Young Warrior: Ocellus's Path - Melody Song



While the Royal Changeling Brothers and Apex walk the paths of their destinies, Ocellus finds her own.

  • ...
 8
 229

A New Path For Me To Take

Ocellus sighed softly in relief as she walked over to Cilia-medica. The kind drone led her off as the apprentice ceremony finished, a smile on her face.

“I know it can be a little scary, I’m sure even more so if you have to do it for the second time.” Cilia told her soothingly.

“I’m just glad I don’t have to be a warrior apprentice anymore.” Ocellus sighed as Cilia led her to the medic’s infirmary. “Though I’m ashamed it took me this long to decide I was better suited here. I’m nearly thirteen.”

“It’s alright Ocellus. Sometimes it takes a while before anyone is sure about what the correct path for them to take is.” Cilia responded.

“Well, I’m lucky you waited until I decided before choosing an apprentice. Thank you, Cilia-medica.”

“Of course Ocellus, it’s no trouble. Not many nymphs are interested in the life of a medic, as you know.” Cilia walked over to a storage area and pulled out a few different bundles of leaves. Ocellus recognized them as the herbs Cilia had asked her to study up on before the official placement ceremony. “Let’s begin right away, shall we?”

“Alright!” Ocellus said, rearing up onto the stone slab the medics used as a table in order to get a better look.

“Do you know the basic herbs and what they do?”

“I think so.”

“Let’s test that. What does this plant do?” The adult female held up a hairy-looking leaf with an expectant arched brow.

“That’s borage. If eaten it will increase nectar in expecting females and can also help bring down fevers.”

“Correct. This one?” She held up a flowering plant similar to a dandelion.

“Coltsfoot. Helps shortness of breath.”

“Very good Ocellus!” Cilia told her cheerfully, then continued on with the quiz, simply holding up the plants.

“Dock leaves, chewed into a poultice, they’ll soothe scratches. Feverfew, it cools down fevers. Marigold, stops infection. Poppy seeds, soothe shock and pain, but also cause fatigue. Stinging Nettles, dispel poison and bring down swelling.” Ocellus recited each from memory, pleased that her mentor made no efforts to correct her and proud she was managing to get each one right.

But then, Cilia held up a strange flowering plant that she didn't quite recognize. Ocellus hesitated, she was sure this must have been in the medicine books, but she couldn't for the life of her recall what it was.

“Um… is it…” she wracked her brain for anything that she remembered was like this plant. A couple herbs flowered, from what she could recall. “Tansy? It cures coughs if eaten, right?”

“Tansy does cure coughs, Ocellus, but this isn't tansy, and it had better not be swallowed.” Cilia reprimanded gently, laying the herb on the table before the nymph. “This is yarrow. We use it to expel poison from wounds, but if you swallow it, it will make you vomit. You don’t want to accidentally make a patient sick.”

“Oh… I’m sorry.”

“No, no, don’t apologize, Ocellus. It’s good you didn’t know, that means I can teach you.” Cilia said, smiling. “Let’s continue, shall we?”

“Alright.”

After Cilia quizzed her on the rest of the plants, Ocellus went back to her den. She laid down in the hollowed out divot in the ground, closing her eyes. She smiled happily, going over the herbs again in her head, as Cilia had mentioned that she’d be double-checking that she'd remembered everything the next day. It was a lot to remember, after all, but Ocellus was certain she’d be able to recite them properly next time.

-----------------------------

“Now, watch carefully Ocellus.” Cilia said, and Ocellus stepped closer

The two medics were out at the edge of the territory, in the small wooded area. Many days of training had passed since her official apprenticing, and Cilia had dubbed Ocellus ready to come collect herbs with her. Together, they had headed out into the scarce trees, intent on restocking their supply of herbs. The two each carried a small basket, now already halfway filled with herbs. Cilia was using her magic to carefully break off a few stems of what Ocellus recognized as thyme.

“You only want to take enough for each plant so that you have a decent amount combined. Make sure to always leave plenty of leaves on the plant so it can grow back.” Cilia informed her.

Ocellus nodded diligently, and Cilia gestured for her to try. Ocellus looked around, then spotted some marigold. She walked over and carefully plucked a couple petals and leaves, setting them down in her basket.

“Very good Ocellus.” Cilia said, nodding approvingly. “Now, do you know what we do when herbs are wet?”

“Lay them out in the sun to dry-”

“Cilia-medica!”

The sudden cry made them both turn around, in time to see Thorax, one of the Princes, rushing up to them.

Ocellus stared at the cyan-carapaced changeling, observing him quietly. She had never personally met either of the Princes before, only knowing their names through common knowledge. Pharynx-dominus was largely viewed as stern and commanding, typical seeing as he was the Head General. Thorax, the Rankless One, as many referred to him, appeared a lot gentler, and Ocellus had heard he was especially good with the nymphs. However, at the moment Ocellus could taste only concern and fear coming off the Prince as he emerged from the trees, which she doubted meant anything good.

“My Prince, what is the trouble?” Cilia asked

“P-Pharynx-dominus, he got caught in some kind of snare trap, pony-made by the look of it, while he was hunting with Apex-discipulus. He got out of it easily, but his back hoof is hurt, he can’t walk.” Thorax gasped out.

“Lead the way, my Prince.” Cilia said, and he nodded, turning preparing to lead them through the forest. “Come along Ocellus, this will be a good practical lesson, and don’t forget the herbs.”

Ocellus nodded, scooping up both their herb baskets in her magic, a surge of joy rushing through her. She felt slightly guilty for feeling excited about this, of course, the Head General being hurt was nothing to be happy about. But she would finally get to see a medic’s skills in action for a real injury! So far, Cilia had only treated the odd scrape or tumble, this would be the first serious injury Ocellus would learn to treat!

Author's Note:

Welcome to Ocellus's Path! Hope you enjoyed chapter one!

~Melody Song