• Published 24th Sep 2012
  • 1,894 Views, 56 Comments

Battle for Equestria: Balls of Fire! - overlord-flinx



Discord Vs Celestia: Age old battle, comes to an end... The world ends with a laugh, not a snicker.

  • ...
3
 56
 1,894

Prologue: Aggressive Tendencies Lead to Trauma.

Chaos... Chocolate rain, cotton candy clouds, talking apples, dogs and cats living together; mass hysteria... Harmony can end all of this for some time. But some time is never enough... There must be a way to end it more securely. A way that in itself is so chaotic and irrational that Chaos itself will have no choice but to bow to it. But the only way to achieve that is to make a deal with the devil. Now, seeing as there are no devils in Equestria, we will have to settle for the next best thing...


There it was. Or more so he was. Still petrified in his state of surprise. Arms pushed out in a desperate attempt to prevent the rainbow of his demise. Like this, he seemed almost peaceful and serene. But no, Celestia knew, standing there before him, that this creature was simply biding his time to grant a moment of accepted hope for the ponies of Equestria. That was the very reason she came before him this day; alone. The ruler of Equestria bowed her head slowly, her eyes brimming with a burning desire as her horn touched against the stone basin of Discord's petrified state.

A soft light graced against the stone from the point of Celestia's horn, which started to send a cracking fissure through Discord's still body. Moment by passing moment, Discord started to inch his stone body slowly, his hodgepodge of colors returning to his twisted body. Once he was fully recovered, his mismatched arms stretched towards the blue sky as he made a dramatic yawn. "The spell is broken...!" as he said this with a groan, his dragon foot clawed into the stone under him, digging against it, "And I live again!"

Celestia only continued with her firing eyes and looked up at Discord with his triumphant stance. "Discord!" His yellow eyes darted down to see with some surprise the pony that released him, "I have released you from the binds of Harmony. I know you're not wondering why, since why would call for reasoning."

"True, true..." Discord nodded slowly while he stretched out against the stone landing under him.

"But I will tell you why I've released you anyway... I challenge you to a duel," even Discord was a bit off-guarded by that sentence. However, Celestia continued, "I have been battling you for more than 1000 years... And I have started to grow tired from it. Not just physically, but emotionally. It pains me through the very night remembering everything you've done and everything I couldn't prevent..." Celestia sighed weakly before resetting the fire to her eyes.

"You pretend to be defeated every time we set you into stone; but we both know you're just playing. Your constant bleeding of chaos into the air drives horrible actions from innocent pones. But it ends now... I challenge you to a fair duel."

Discord tilted his head for a second, thinking this out. "...What are the stakes?"

"If I win, you will stay in that stone form for two hundred years. You won't leak any of your chaotic will into the world during that time either. When you lose, you will stay down fairly," Celestia made her intent clear; keeping it reasonable for future bartering if need be.

"...And if I win?" Discord seemed to be listening closer now, as if intrigued by this crazy idea.

"If you win, I'll give you Canterlot to do what you will with," that was the money phrase. Sure, Discord could just take Canterlot whenever he wanted. But to have it handed to him by Celestia? Nothing could be sweeter.

"Oh-ho-ho. Celestia... Being brash and bold are we?" Discord straitened up and got down to level with Celestia, "The right kind of mind set you should be in when dealing the cards to me. Smart... Very well, I'll accept your duel. What's your game? Jousting? Chess?"

"...Kickball..."

Pause. That's all the lord of chaos could really do. Just pause. One of his talons went to his flopping ear and dug it out, fishing a ball of wax out from it. "Sorry, Celestia, I must've heard you wrong. Say--"

"I'm challenging you to a game of kickball, Discord," Celestia's tone was shake-less and frank.

"Why kickball? I thought you'd want some kind of Royal Canterlot event... Like chess," he could barely believe what he was hearing... And he was the lord of chaos!

"Because with a Royal Canterlot event, you only need one player per team. With kickball, you need at least eight players. Which means you need to rely on the help of others."

"...Well what if I--"

"Team captains can't use magic! New rule, lock, no changes!" Celestia quickly said.

Discord snapped his claws and gave a harsh huff. "Darn it... Alright. Round one goes to you. But how am I supposed to get an eight player minimum when all of Equestria knows me and hates me; without my magic?"

"That's for you to decided... My team is already in roster. You better get started Discord," for a brief moment, Celestia seemed almost smug about the current standings.

Before Discord could rebuke her, Celestia moved off the garden grounds and away from him. Once more, he huffed out a harsh breath and kicked at the grass under him. "Well, buck... I could just cheat, buuuuuuuuuuuut... Canterlot will be all the sweeter if I get it forked over to me fairly..." he pondered his current situation and sat back up against his previous prison. "So many choices..." the lord of chaos remained there in thought, wondering who would make up his dream team to crush Celestia.

"...I think I know just the person to call..." Discord smirked devilishly as he held his paw out.

In no time at all, an old phone appeared in it and he picked it up after turning the dial for the proper number. "I hope they figured out how a tele-- HELLO! Yes... Yes it has been a long time... Uh-huh... Yeah... Kickball game... Yes... Yes... Yes it would be easier if I was actually talking to you and not talking into a phone that keeps telling me I put in a number that doesn't exist... Yes...Right... I'll see you soon, bye." Discord hung up his phone and poofed it away in the same manner it had appeared.

"They really need to invent the phone..."