• Published 25th Dec 2022
  • 3,477 Views, 53 Comments

A Griffon's Farewell - 1jckuhn



What if the episode, "The Hearth's Warming Club," had a much more tragic ending than the original?

  • ...
19
 53
 3,477

A Surprise from Twilight

December 25, 2017

The last thing the families of Smolder, Silverstream, Ocellus, Sandbar, and Yona were expecting was to see them asking to rejoin the holidays the morning after Gallus' funeral. When they were asked what had caused such a dramatic one-eighty on their demeanors overnight, all five creatures said the same response.

"Let's just say the spirits of the holidays paid me a visit last night."

While they did help out with finishing setting up for their respective holidays over the next three days, all five creatures would often stop and silently gaze up toward the sky. Their family members would sometimes gaze up alongside them. They all could've sworn that, if they had looked upward long and hard enough, they could almost see four Griffon spirits flying in the sky.


Griffonstone

Grampa Gruff smiled softly as he set the last of the food for the Blue Moon Festival. Gilda, Gabby, and Grizzle had also stopped by to help out. However, like with his Grandson's friends, Grampa Gruff would often stare up toward the sky from his kitchen window. The other three Griffons would join him in doing so, knowing full well what the elderly Griffon was still healing from what had happened less than two weeks ago. Even through the feast, though, Grampa Gruff was still out of it. While he did engage in small talk every now and again, the older Griffon was, for the most part, zoned out as the other three Griffons spoke to one another. The trio knew better than to interrupt him. They knew, out of everyone who knew Gallus, he needed the most space and time to think.

They were honestly quite surprised with Grampa Gruff's change of demeanor over the course of one night. The last thing they expected when they had woken up the morning after Gallus’ funeral was for Grampa Gruff asking them to come to his place for the Blue Moon Festival, as usual. They were rather cautious to ask why had caused a change of mind in such a short period of time. To their surprise, Grampa Gruff's usually crabby demeanor was gone when he issued his response.

"I had a change of heart thanks to the spirits of the holidays."

Gabby, Gilda, and Grizzle were rather confused, but decided not to press further. They were just happy to see Grampa Gruff at least somewhat back to his normal self.

The feast itself was uneventful. After it was over Grampa Gruff was expecting Gabby, Gilda, and Grizzle to go back home, but they told him that there was someplace that they wanted to go in Ponyville and they insisted on him coming along. When he asked why, they all answered, "It's a surprise."


Dragonlands

The Feast of Fire was had just wrapped up and Smolder, Garble, and their parents, Blaze and Amethyst, were on their way home with a large bag of gems in tow. Garble had won first place with his story and the bag of gems was his prize. As each Dragon told their story, there were several times when Smolder's mind wandered elsewhere. The sad tones of the stories had reminded her of Gallus and his situation. It didn't help that it today had marked nine years since his family's death and how it had forever changed the griffon's life for the worst until he died. The orange Dragon was pulled away from her thoughts when she heard her brother speak up.

"Oh, man," said Garble excitedly. "I can practically taste how good those gems are going to be."

Smolder and her parents could only roll their eyes, but they did find the bag of gems very enticing to eat themselves.

It wasn't long before Garble, Smolder, and their parents landed in front of their cave and Garble quickly dropped off the gems as all four Dragons settled down inside their home.

“Well, this has been a somewhat fun day, but I'm heading to bed early tonight,” announced Smolder as she headed to her bedroom. "I've got a few things on my mind that I need to digest, and I think a few extra hours of sleep will do me some good."

“Actually, Smolder,” said Garble. “We’ve received word from Ponyville that there seems to be some sort of event to which you are invited to.”

He pulled out a piece of paper, gave it to his sister, and Smolder read it over.

December 22, 2017

Dear Smolder

You and your family are invited to attend a special event on December 25 at 7:30 P.M. outside of the Castle of Friendship. Sorry for the short notice, but I instructed your parents to keep this message a secret because the others and I wanted to keep this event a surprise.

Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle

Smolder was rather confused, but, at the same time, had become interested in what this event was about.

“Well,” she said. “I guess I’m headed back to Ponyville.”

“Since the event is being held outside your mother and I will be coming along this time,” said Blaze.

With that, the four Dragons took to the sky once more.


Changeling Kingdom

Ocellus and her family had just completed singing their last carol for the night. The sun had gone down by this point and most of the Changelings were retiring for their homes for the evening. While Ocellus had fun celebrating her second Hearth's Warming, her mind was now wandering elsewhere. The young Changeling was thinking about none other than her deceased friend. The memories from ten days ago still burned brightly in her mind. She looked toward her parents and baby siblings, Auxilla and Lumbar. A small, warm smile began to form on her lips.

"I really am lucky to have all of you in my life," she thought.

She was only in her trance for a few seconds before the voice of her mother, Spiracle, pulled her back to reality.

"Ocellus? Honey?" she asked softly.

"Huh? What? Oh, sorry, mom. I blanked out for a second," said Ocellus sheepishly. "Do you have something to tell me?

"Yes, dear," said Spiracle as she pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to her daughter. "It seems that the Princess of Friendship has invited you to some sort of event in Ponyville."

December 22, 2017

Dear Ocellus

You and your parents are invited to attend a special event on December 25 at 7:30 P.M. outside of the Castle of Friendship. Sorry for the short notice, but I instructed your parents to keep this message a secret because the others and I wanted to keep this event a surprise.

Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle

"A special event at the castle?" Ocellus thought aloud. "What could Twilight possibly have planned?"

"Well, we're about to go see," said Spiracle as Carapace and she began to make their way to the front door. "Come, Ocellus. We mustn't keep the Princess waiting."

Ocellus was about to follow them until a thought stopped her.

"Wait," said Ocellus. "Who's going to look after Auxilla and Lumbar?"

"We hired a babysitter to come look after them while we're away," explained Spiracle. "She should be arriving any minute-"

Before Spiracle could finish her sentence, there was a knock on the front door.

"I'll get it," said Carapace.

The blue Changeling quickly went to the door and opened it to reveal a changeling with a yellow head and hooves with a pair of purple wings, a green abdomen, and sky-blue eyes. She looked to be a little older than Ocellus.

"Hello," said the yellow Changeling. "I've come to babysit Auxilla and Lumbar. Am I at the right place?"

"Yes, you are," said Carapace. "Thank you for coming."

The yellow Changeling stepped inside, and Ocellus' little siblings immediately ran up to greet her.

"Now, Auxilla, Lumbar," said Carapace in a firm but gentle tone. "I want you both on your very best behavior while we're gone. Do you both understand?"

Both of the baby Changelings nodded rapidly as Ocellus and her parents quickly gave them both a hug and a kiss goodbye before they flew out the front door for the journey back to Ponyville.


Hippogriffia

Queen Novo had finished handing out presents to all the Hippogriffs and Seaponies to finish off the Three Days of Freedom and everyone was now heading back home. Among them were Silverstream and her family. Sky Beak and Ocean Flow were each carrying a gift of their own. Due to her injured wrist and wing, Silverstream was unable to fly or hold her own gift. So, she was, once again, hitching a ride on Sky Beak's back, while her brother, Terramar, carried both his gift and Silverstream's gift.

Even though she did have fun, Silverstream had been thinking about Gallus and his family throughout the day. She hadn't forgotten that today marked nine years since the horrific house fire that had taken the lives of Gallus' parents and sisters. There were several instances where she had zoned out and it took her parents and brother a few tries to bring her back to reality. No one could blame the Hippogriff for her behavior. However, while the tragic situation of the house fire, the recent suicide her friend turned crush, and her own physical injuries still weighed heavily on her, Silverstream took a sliver of comfort knowing that Gallus was now in a better place.

"Silverstream? Sweetie?" called Ocean Flow.

Silverstream didn't respond. Once again, the pink Hippogriff just lay on Sky Beak's back, continuing to stare blankly into space. It wasn't until Terramar gently tapped her shoulder that she was brought out of her daydream.

"Huh?" she asked.

"We're back home," said Terramar.

Silverstream looked up to see that they were, indeed, in front of Sky Beak's house. The flight itself wasn't too long as Sky Beak's house was also in Mount Aris.

"Oh," she said. "Thanks, Terramar. I guess I blanked out again."

"Don't worry about it," said Sky Beak

The four Hippogriffs headed inside and dropped off their gifts on the living room table.

"So, which gift should we open first?" asked Silverstream as her parents, brother, and she sat on the couch.

"None yet," said Ocean Flow.

Silverstream became confused.

"Why?" she asked.

Ocean Flow turned to Sky Beak.

"Get the letter," she said.

Sky Beak quickly got up and headed toward the kitchen, leaving Silverstream even more confused. He returned less than a minute later, a piece of paper in hand. The blue Hippogriff dropped it on the table and Silverstream began to read it over.

December 22, 2017

Dear Silverstream

You and your family are invited to attend a special event on December 25 at 7:30 P.M. outside of the Castle of Friendship. Sorry for the short notice, but I instructed your parents to keep this message a secret because the others and I wanted to keep this event a surprise.

Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle

Questions began to flood Silverstream's mind as to what this event could possibly entail. That was until she had a thought of the Griffon who had stolen her heart for what felt like the millionth time that day.

"Maybe Twilight's going to throw some type of memorial party for Gallus," she thought as she climbed back onto Sky Beak's back for the long haul to Ponyville.


Yakyakistan

The Snilldar Fest was finished in Yakyakistan and Yona, her grandparents, Yarrow and Yasmine, her parents, Yale and Yvette, and her siblings, Yaamir and Yakira, were now heading back home.

From the moment they were finished with their moss pile, Yona had begun to daydream. Her mind had been flooded with images and thoughts of Gallus since she had woken up. It had taken her longer than usual to smash up the log and snow fort, as well as finding her fair share of things to hang on the moss pile. Her family took notice of her lack of engagement in the usual holiday activities that the Snilldar Fest entailed but didn't say anything. They all knew she still needed time to cope with the tragedy of her friend's untimely demise. It wasn't long until the seven Yaks had reached their house. Once they were all inside, they made their way to the living room, settling comfortably on the couch. After a few minutes, Yona, who hadn't said a word since her family and she had finished decorating the moss pile, got back up and turned to face her parents.

"Yona heading to bedroom," she said to them.

"Why?" asked Yale.

"Because there are few things Yona need to think about," responded Yona curtly.

She was about to turn around until her mother spoke up.

"Wait," called Yvette. "Yvette and Yale one last thing for Yona."

Yona's ears perked up at this as Yona's parents both went into their bedroom and returned to the living room a minute later, a piece of paper in Yvette's mouth.

December 22, 2017

Dear Yona

You and your parents are invited to attend a special event on December 25 at 7:30 P.M. outside of the Castle of Friendship. Sorry for the short notice, but I instructed your parents to keep this message a secret because the others and I wanted to keep this event a surprise.

Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle

"Headmare Twilight want Yona for special event?" Yona asked.

Thoughts raced through Yona's mind as she wracked her brain for what Twilight could possibly be planning. Then, she stopped on one particular thought.

"Could event involve Gallus?" she thought aloud.

"Yona will have find out," said Yale as Yvette and he began to make their way to the front door.

As Yona and her parents walked past the couch where Yasmine, Yarrow, Yaamir, and Yakira were still sitting, she turned to face them.

"Yona hope Grandma and Grandpa don't mind that Yak has to go," she said.

Her grandparents and siblings just smiled warmly back at Yona.

"Grandma and Grandpa look after Yaamir and Yakira," Yasmine said reassuringly. "Go see what Pony Princess want."

Yona, Yale, and Yvette quickly gave the four other Yaks a hug, nuzzle, and kiss goodbye before they headed outside into the bitter cold for the long haul to Ponyville.


Ponyville

Sandbar and his parents had just finished up dinner and were now all relaxing on the living room couch. With the holiday celebrations wrapped up, Sandbar could now have a moment to himself. He closed his eyes as he let his mind drift away from reality. It wasn't long before his thoughts drifted to none other than Gallus.

For a few long minutes, the green Earth Pony sat on the couch, eyes closed and silent as he thought about every good memory he had made with the Griffon. A small smile played his lips as he did so. The smile on Sandbar's face faded away when his thoughts turned over to the fact that today was the anniversary of the tragic house fire that took the lives of his parents and sisters, how it had started Gallus' downward spiral, and how it had ultimately led to the Griffon's death. Thinking about the events from ten days ago up until this moment eventually began to make Sandbar think about his own parents and sister. It really hit home for him just how big a part they played in his life. He couldn't imagine losing them, especially at such a young age.

"I hope you're having a great Blue Moon Festival in the sky, Gallus," Sandbar thought. "Promise me you'll be safe up there, buddy."

Sandbar was pulled away from his thoughts when he heard his mother begin to speak to him.

"Did you have a good Hearth's Warming, dear?" High Tide asked her son.

"Yeah, I did," Sandbar responded. "Thanks for a good time, mom and dad."

He turned back to look back up at the ceiling. High Tide and Beachcomber could both tell there was something that seemed to be bothering him.

"Is there something on your mind, son?" Beachcomber asked cautiously.

For a moment, Sandbar said nothing, unsure of whether or not to tell his parents about his intrusive thoughts. However, it seemed High Tide's motherly instincts had already helped her decipher it.

"It's about Gallus, isn't it?" she asked.

"Yeah," said Sandbar. "He's been on my mind all day."

High Tide and Beachcomber both wrapped Sandbar into a hug.

"Honey, I know it's hard," said High Tide. "But you should always remember that he's up in the sky right now having a wonderful time."

"It's not just that, mom," sighed Sandbar. "Gallus has also made me realize just how big a role that you two play in my life. You've all been there for me from the day I was born. Then, Coral came along and made me a big brother and she's aided in shaping me into the Pony I am now. I love all three of you more than anything in this world and I couldn't imagine a life without any of you."

High Tide and Beachcomber began to tear up with pride as they listened to their son's speech.

"I just wish there was something I could do that would honor him and spread the word about his story, as well as what we, as a community, can do to prevent others from feeling the same way he did," Sandbar finished.

At this, both High Tide and Beachcomber exchanged smiles.

"Well, maybe you will get that chance tonight, dear," said High Tide.

"What do you mean?" asked Sandbar.

"Wait here," instructed Beachcomber. "Your mother and I will be right back."

They left the living room and returned a minute later with a piece of paper in hoof. They gave it to their son, who immediately began to read it over.

December 22, 2017

Dear Sandbar

You and your parents are invited to attend a special event on December 25 at 7:30 P.M. outside of the Castle of Friendship. Sorry for the short notice, but I instructed your parents to keep this message a secret because the others and I wanted to keep this event a surprise.

Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle

While the subject of the event wasn't mentioned, Sandbar couldn't help but think back Gallus once more. He was about to head to his room to grab his hat and scarf for the trip to the Friendship Castle until a thought stopped him.

"Wait," he said, turning back to face his parents. "Who's going to watch Coral while we're gone?"

Before either of his parents could respond, there was a knock at the front door and both of the older Ponies went to answer it, leaving Sandbar alone in the living room. They returned a minute later with a Pegasus with a magenta coat, apple green eyes, and a purple mane. She wore a pink bow in her mane and her face was adorned with a pair of black, round glasses. Sandbar recognized the Pony almost immediately as one of his old friends from middle school.

"Petunia!" he beamed as he wrapped her in a hug. "How's it going?

"Everything's going great," smiled Petunia.

"What brings you here tonight?" asked Sandbar.

"Your parents hired me to foalsit Coral," Petunia responded. "From what I understand, the three of you are headed to some sort of event?"

"Yeah, we are," said Sandbar, handing the note to Petunia to read over herself.

"Wow, being invited by the Princess of Friendship. That sounds so cool!" said Petunia. "Hope you have fun."

"Thanks," said Sandbar, wrapping Petunia into a hug.

While High Tide and Beachcomber briefed Petunia on what to do to take care of Coral, Sandbar went up to his room to retrieve his scarf and hat for the walk to Castle. Once he was finished putting on his winter gear, Sandbar left his room to see his parents already standing outside the front door of his room wearing their own winter clothing.

The Earth Pony was about to follow his parents out the door when he locked eyes with the door of his sister's bedroom. He thought back to the day of the Funeral, remembering seeing the grave of Gallus' little sister, Gwen. Even though his little sister was tucked away in her crib, Sandbar couldn't resist going inside to make sure she was safe. He turned back to face his parents.

"Could I say goodbye to Coral first?" Sandbar asked his parents.

"Absolutely," said High Tide.

Sandbar quietly crept to the door of Coral's room and cracked it open. He sidled up to the crib to see Coral, eyes closed and wrapped in the blankets, dozing the evening away without a care in the world. The Green Earth Pony smiled warmly at the sight before he leaned into Coral's crib to give his sister a kiss on her forehead before quietly exiting her room to follow his parents out the door to the Friendship Castle.


The Castle of Friendship
7:30 P.M.

The five students and their families, Grampa Gruff, Grizzle, Gabby, and Gilda had arrived in front of the Castle of Friendship just in time for the start of the special event. Grampa Gruff, Silverstream, Smolder, Ocellus, Sandbar, and Yona were pleasantly surprised to each other at the event, but it didn’t take them all long to ascertain that Twilight had given them all invitations.

It didn't take too long for the twenty-one creatures to reach the Friendship Castle. Because the sun had already gone down by this point, a few temporary streetlamps had been put up down the dirt road that led to the castle, courtesy of Discord, to help light up the area so that the students, their families, and the Griffons could see as they made their way down the path toward their destination. As they drew closer, they could see the faces of Twilight, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity, Starlight, Spike, and Discord. Behind the teachers and Discord were several rows of chairs, enough for everyone in the crowd to take a seat. In front of the rows of chairs stood a large podium made of walnut and had a microphone sitting on top of it. To the left of the podium stood an object obscured by a white sheet. Behind the podium stood the Friendship Castle itself.

""Greetings, everyone," Twilight smiled warmly as the group of creatures approached them. “The others and I are happy you all could make it here tonight."

"Yeah," said Ocellus. "We're happy to have made it too, but, if you don't mind us asking, why did you invite us all here tonight?"

Despite her question, Ocellus, as well as the other four students and Grampa Gruff, already felt like they had an idea as to what this event was about.

"Well, the others and I have put a memorial ceremony for Gallus together and we just couldn't leave any of you out of it," Twilight explained.

Twilight's explanation confirmed the six creatures' suspicions. The students, the parents and siblings, and the four Griffons quickly took a seat as Twilight took a position behind the podium, while the other six Ponies, Dragon, and Draconequus stood off to the right of it. A wooden wagon that was obscured by a white sheet stood behind the other eight creatures.

"Good evening, everycreature," Twilight cleared her throat. "We are all gathered here tonight to remember a very special creature. In the span of just three months, there was a Griffon named Gallus who brought so much into my life, the lives of my friends, and the lives of the many creatures seated before me today. He brought laughter and joy to all who knew him, especially to his five best friends, Yona, Sandbar, Smolder, Ocellus, and Silverstream, his adopted grandfather, Grampa Gruff, and to the teachers at the School of Friendship, whether it be through a prank or a kind gesture. Sadly, it seemed that while those around him were always in a happy mood whenever he was nearby, he was never able to experience the same level of happiness he gave to others. However, as I've said before, while Gallus' story had an abrupt and tragic ending, the morals that it has left behind are crucial for us to analyze. We can use it for the future to help others just like Gallus see that they aren't alone and that there are creatures out there that really care for them.”

Twilight paused to use her magic to levitate the white sheet away, revealing a poster that had big, bold letters on it.

SIXTEEN STRONG
The Gallus Griffon Foundation

"The others and I had decided that the only way we can truly honor Gallus and all that he's taught us was to open a foundation in his name to carry on his legacy. The name we picked has two meanings behind it. The number sixteen represents Gallus' age, while six represents the number of friends that he was a part of. With each other's help, I know we can make sure Gallus isn't forgotten and that his memory and story live on for generations to come," Twilight finished.

The whole crowd erupted into applause as Twilight finished her speech. Tears had begun to brim the eyes of Gallus' friends and Grampa Gruff. Twilight waited for the applause to die down before she continued to speak.

"Before we all part our ways here tonight to go home and celebrate the new year, the others and I have one last event that we would like everyone to participate in," said Twilight.

She stepped off the podium to help the other Elements, Spike, Starlight, and Discord push the covered wagon in front of the crowd. Spike pulled away the white sheet that was on top of it, revealing its contents to the crowd. On the wagon were numerous sky lanterns that were as white as the snow they stood upon.

"We're going to do a sky lantern light off to honor Gallus and his family," explained Twilight. "There's one for each of us."

Each of the 29 creatures took one sky lantern off the wagon they were each lit one by one. All that was left now was the signal from Twilight to release them into the night sky.

"Alright, everyone," said Twilight. "One. Two. Three. Release the lanterns!"

"Wait!" called out Discord. "Something's not right here."

Everyone looked at the Draconequus in confusion until he snapped his fingers and the flames inside each of the lanterns simultaneously and instantly changed from a yellowish-orange color to a brilliant cerulean tone of blue that matched Gallus' feathers and fur perfectly.

"There we go," smiled Discord. "That's better."

With that, the group of creatures released their lanterns and watched them float higher and higher into the air, tears welling in their eyes. However, they weren't tears of sadness. They were tears of hope and strength. While everyone knew that it would be a lengthy healing process, they also knew that, with each other's help, they could come out the other end of the dark tunnel stronger than when they entered.


Gared, Galena, Gallus, Gracie, and Gwen all watched the scene play out from above with warm smiles on their faces. They had been on the ground for the whole time Twilight was giving her speech and announcing the opening of the foundation in his name and were truly touched by how the Princess had chosen to honor the fallen Griffon. Now, however, they had flocked to a cloud high above the ground to watch the lanterns rise to the heavens above. It wasn't long before the lanterns had reached the cloud where the five angel Griffons were now gathered. Gallus and his family all watched through blurred vision as each of the twenty-nine blue-glowing lanterns passed them as they rose higher and higher in the sky, becoming smaller and smaller until they were no longer visible to the naked eye. Once the lanterns were out of sight, Gallus and his family turned their attention back to the crowd of creatures below.

"A foundation to help those like me in need," Gallus whispered, the powerful words from Twilight's speech still echoing in his head. "Well done, guys. I'm so proud of all of you."

"It may take a long time, but it seems that they're on the healing process," smiled Galena.

"Yeah," sighed Gallus, the small smile on his beak fading. "I just wish that things could've gone differently, though. Don't get me wrong. I'm beyond happy that I get to see the four of you again, but I'm still sorry that my friends and teachers had to go through hell for me to get here."

Gared walked up and placed a claw on his son's shoulder.

"It's not your fault, Gallus," he reassured. "If anyone should be saying sorry, it should be the Griffons in the town we lived in. They were always spiteful and cantankerous no matter what the occasion was, but your mother and I always held out hope that they could eventually come around because we were both taught to believe that everycreature has at least a spark of good inside them, but each time they left you to fend for yourself on the streets made us realize that what we were taught could not have been further from the truth. We know you tried to fight, but the environment you were forced to endure for two years led you to a dark place you couldn't climb out of. While your mother, Gwen, Gracie, and I wished you would have carried on, we also know that there wouldn't be as much attention drawn to the mental health and the emotional struggles of others if it weren't for you."

Gallus smiled and teared up as he listened to his father's speech.

"Thanks, dad," he sniffled. "I really needed that."

"You're welcome," replied Gared as Galena, Gracie, Gwen, and he all wrapped their brother and son into a tight hug.

For a few long minutes, all the four Griffons did was just hug it out on the cloud they stood upon, before they reluctantly broke away as Gared spoke up again.

"Is everyone ready to go home?" asked the orange and amber Griffon.

"Yeah," said Gracie. "It is getting kind of late."

With that, the five Griffons spread their white wings and began their flight back home. While his parents and sisters were looking forward as they traveled across the night sky, Gallus kept his eyes glued to the spot where his friends, teachers, and his friends' families had now gathered until they were out of sight.