• Published 23rd Dec 2022
  • 262 Views, 8 Comments

Nurse Redheart and the Race to the Frozen North - The Red Parade



With a new dog at the helm, Nurse Redheart tries to beat her rival in one of Equestria's most famous winter events: The Iditatrot.

  • ...
5
 8
 262

Old Dog, New Trick

A blast of cold, frigid air slammed itself into Redheart’s face as soon as she stepped off the train: embracing her like an old friend. And in a way, perhaps it was, given how often the two of them had found themselves meeting over the (rapidly passing) years.

But the more some things stayed the same…

“Hooooo-we! It’s colder than a bushel of Braeburn’s soaked in Lovely’s Creek!”

Redheart gave an amused snort. “I… suppose?”

“Oh, the horror, it gets colder every year,” Roseluck remarked as she immediately huddled up next to Redheart for warmth. Redheart leaned down and nuzzled her shorter girlfriend, barely hiding a smirk as she eyed Rose’s vibrant red jacket.

Applejack threw on the hood of her parka (over her Stetson, of course) and shot a glance back at the crate perched on her back. “Ya holdin’ up back there, girl?”

“Arf!”

“Atta girl!”

Redheart rolled her eyes, setting off down the platform and towards the station house. “Let’s hope she’s not too cold, because things are going to get a lot colder than this.”

“Winnona can handle anythin’, just like me!” Applejack bragged, puffing out her chest.

Rose blinked. “But… that’s not what Rainbow Dash said at Book Club yesterday.”

“Well Rainbow Dash is a good for nothin’ liar with mud in her mouth!”

“Girls, please, let’s at least make it to the Welcome Center before we make a scene,” Redheart insisted.

The two nodded and followed her, but not before Applejack grabbed Rose’s shoulder. “So… what exactly did Rainbow Dash say?”

Rose looked around nervously before whispering a response.

“That lyin’ piece of–”

Girls.”

“We’re comin’!”


The Neighncourage Community Center had been completely revamped. A massive banner with the words “Welcome Mushers!” was draped over the entrance, gold text on a red base. The lounge was full of ponies, decked out in thick jackets and cold-weather gear, enjoying the sound of the crackling fire and the hot chocolate that was flowing from the buffet table like water.

Neighncorage was typically a quiet city, but once a year creatures of all kinds flooded in for a legendary event: The Iditatrot Dog Sled Race. A time-honored, world famous tradition that drew competitors from across the globe, each looking to make their mark in history. Redheart wasn’t looking to win, of course: she was well aware of her limits and position as a hobbyist more than a dedicated racer. That wasn’t to say of course that she had her own goals.

Redheart hummed a tune to herself as she fixed her second cup of the day. The arrival day was usually highlighted by settling in, filing and filling out waivers and paperwork, and making last minute preparations for the journey ahead.

Applejack had taken Winnona to the dog station immediately to have her “meet the others.” Rose had immediately bounded off to the gift store, giving Redheart a brief moment of clarity. She idly thumbed through the event program, pausing at the “Competing Mushers” section and quickly identifying the image of herself and Roseluck under team “Redjacks.” Her smile turned into a frown as she saw the team above them: “The Lone Raider.” The bane of her entire racing career.

But that was all going to change sooner or later: their records had just pulled even with Redheart’s victory last year. All it would take was for her to beat that lone-rider one last time, and for one glorious year, Redheart would have the lead.

Of course, things were never that simple.

“Hey, Red,” Roseluck called as she trotted over, laden with souvenirs and gifts. “I ran into Dr. Fauna by the bathrooms, she said she’s ready to talk to you.”

“Alright, I’ll go see what she needs,” Redheart muttered, securing the cap onto her styrofoam cup.

“Hey, Red?” Roseluck gave her a pleading look. “Can you… do what we talked about this time? About the dogs?”

Redheart sighed. She had hoped Rose had forgotten that commitment. “Yeah, I’ll see what I can do,” Redheart muttered.

Rose smiled and did a happy dance. “Yay! I’ll meet you after I drop these off!”

Redheart watched as she left, clicking her tongue before proceeding through the throng of visitors and participants and heading for the main ballroom.

The ballroom’s wooden floor was covered in a series of plastic mats, shielding it from the snow, water, and mud that were trekked about. Temporary stalls had been constructed, dividing the room into a series of staging areas. Most of these were occupied by teams of dogs, ranging across nearly every species that Equestria had to offer.

While it was traditional to utilize cold-weather dogs with thicker coats, a monumental effort from both Fluttershy and Rarity allowed dogs of any type and shape to participate, with the adequate equipment for those that needed it.

Redheart had taken all of this information to carefully construct a lineup that would give her exactly what she needed: unwavering loyalty, and above all, consistency. The team consisted of four malamutes, four huskies, and three chinooks. Each dog was numbered one through thirteen to allow for easy identification.

About two weeks ago, lead dog One had given birth to a new litter of puppies. While adorable, it was also highly inconvenient as it meant they would be unavailable for the race. Hence Winnona: the only suitable replacement dog that Redheart could find on short notice. Despite Applejack’s pandering, Redheart frankly wasn’t too impressed by the results of their abbreviated training, but there really wasn’t any other option.

“Good morning, Red!” called a mare in a white lab coat from a nearby pen.

Redheart nodded, the dogs eagerly barking and racing over to her to give her welcoming licks and sniffs. “Hello, Fauna. How are the dogs?”

“To business as always,” Dr. Fauna laughed. “They’re doing just fine. But, um, before we get into it…”

“No, I haven’t thought about naming them,” Redheart sighed. “The numbers have worked fine for years, they don’t seem to mind and I still don’t see the point.”

Dr Fauna grumbled, flipping through her clipboard. “I swear, Red… Of all the ponies, I never would have thought of you as so adamant not to name your dogs. But, fine. They’re doing just fine and ready for the trip ahead.”

“Good to hear, I don’t need any more surprises,” Redheart muttered as she chugged the last of her hot chocolate. “And the new one?”

“Applejack’s taking her to get her new harness. Winona’s a darling! I had my doubts, but I think that she’ll keep pace just fine,” Fauna explained. “You may benefit from getting her to refocus, as new dogs always take some time to acclimate to the thrill of it all.”

“Of course,” Redheart agreed. “She’ll learn fast, or die trying.”

Fauna gave her a strange look. “That’s… A bit cynical, don’t you think?”

“No, not really.”

“I…” Fauna threw her hooves up in the air in desperation. “Was your final med school exam cutting out your own heart. Red?!”

Redheart just shrugged. “They’re dogs.”

“They’re living, breathing creatures!”

“They pull my sled.”

Fauna groaned, shaking her head. “I honestly can’t believe you,” she muttered as she stormed off.

“The nerve of some ponies,” Redheart muttered, shoving Four down as they tried to hop onto her. “Alright, dogs. You know the drill. Let’s win this, no frills, no distraction–”

“Helllllllooooooo my lovelies!”

“The universe hates me, there’s no other explanation,” Redheart muttered as the dogs all eagerly started barking and swarming around Roseluck as she trotted over.

“Oh my gosh! Who’s the best dogsled team in Equestria? Is it you? Is it you?” Rose knelt down and let the dogs mob her. “Ohhhh, yes you all are! You are! It’s you!” She reached into her jacket pocket and procured a plastic bag full of treats. “Who wants some? Who’s a good doggie that wants some?”

“Annnnnd here we go,” Redheart muttered as the entire ballroom erupted in a chorus of barks and howls as dogs from all teams sped over.


Once the chaos had died down and the dogs had all had their share of treats, Redheart wasted no time getting things back on track. With Rose’s help, the two began their equipment check: making sure every harness was tight and still fit, going over notes Fauna had left them, and making absolutely sure that nothing would kill them on their journey.

“Why was Rainbow Dash at your book club?”

“Huh?”

Redheart shrugged. “You mentioned that earlier to Applejack. Why was she there? She’s not the type of pony I’d figure that liked those things.”

Roseluck blinked a few times. “I, uh… I think she just wanted to impress Twilight?”

“Rose…” Redheart shot a suspicious glance over her shoulder. “What did I say about lying to me?”

“Fine,” Rose cried. “It was Daring Do week!”

“I knew it.”

“It’s just a book!”

“It’s an awful, overrated series,” spat Redheart. “It’s ridiculous!”

She tugged hard on the harness she was working on, drawing a yelp from Twelve.

“Be gentle!” Rose shouted.

“Ugh, right. Sorry.” Redheart exhaled slowly.

Rose cleared her throat, deciding to change the subject. “So… Did you come up with anything for the names?”

Redheart sighed, scribbling down some notes in her notebook. “...Uh. Yeah, sure. I’m gonna name that one, uh… Dull Scalpel. And that one’s going to be… Lucky Shot.”

Roseluck blinked. “So… you’re naming the dogs after your number one pet peeve and your most annoying co-worker.”

“I mean, yeah?”

Rose sighed, shaking her head in disappointment. “I don’t even know why I bother with you sometimes.”

Redheart huffed and rolled her eyes. “The numbers are fine!”

“They’re not! Don’t you have a soul?”

“What’s that?”

“You’re unbelievable,” Rose sighed, storming out of the pen.

Redheart grunted, setting aside her notes to finish inspecting the harness and stew in her own frustration. Wasn’t this her team? Why was everyone so crazy about how she treated these mutts?

They were just dogs. Nothing more than that.

She reached into the box of harnesses and tried to pull one out, frowning when it wouldn’t budge. “Oh, come…” With a grunt she yanked hard, falling backwards when she ripped the entire strap off. “GAH!” Redheart threw the strap away, kicking the box in anger. “Stupid thing.”

“Is the mighty Ms. Redjack about to be defeated by a harness?”

Redheart’s blood boiled as a voice called over from behind. “What do you want, Raider?”

Her rival just laughed. “Just checking out the competition! Can’t wait to see your disappointed face when you see me lounging at the finish line.”

“Bug off,” Redheart spat, seizing the broken harness and storming off towards the repair zone to fetch a new one. “Don’t you have some puppies to bully or whatever it is you do?”

“I treat my dogs much better than you do yours,” Raider scoffed. “Everyone here knows you don’t see them more as four-legged bags of fur that pull you around.”

Redheart sighed, feeling a migraine forming. “What, is it a war crime?”

“No, but it’s the reason nobody here likes you,” Raider shot back.

Redheart snorted, slamming down the broken harness onto the table. “Well it’s a good thing I don’t care about that.”

“Of course,” Raider said dryly. “The only thing that Redjack cares about is beating me.”

“And I’ll do it again this year,” Redheart said with a nod.

“In your dreams,” Raider said with a wink. “I’ll see you at the finish line!”

With a pat on the shoulder, Raider spread her wings and flew off.

“What a piece of work!” Redheart swore, grabbing the nearest harness and storming off back to her pen.

She never noticed that the box she grabbed it from was marked “To be repaired.”


When Redheart returned to the pen, Applejack was waiting for her carrying a sausage that was wrapped in several layers of bright cloth. Upon further inspection, Redheart realized this was actually Winnona wearing a comically small bright yellow jacket.

“Howdy, Red!” Applejack waved. “I reckon Winnona is gettin’ along quite well with the team!”

The rest of the dogs were in a small circle around her, yapping eagerly at the new dog who was more than happy to bark back.

“That’s good,” Redheart said. “We’d have massive problems if they didn’t.”

Winona just panted happily, looking around obliviously.

“This here’s excitin’ stuff! Ain’t never seen this many dogs in one place before,” Applejack marveled.

“They get the job done,” Redheart said idly, reaching for the custom harness for Winnona. “Get all the measurements done?”

“Eeyup, she’s right as rain and rearin’ to go.” Applejack reached down and rubbed Twelve’s head. “You got a good team right here! What are their–”

They don’t have names!” Redheart snapped.

The entire ballroom fell quiet as dogs and mushers alike gave uncomfortable glances their way.

“Sorry, I just…” Redheart sighed quietly. “I’m under a lot of pressure right now, okay?!”

“Uh… sure,” Applejack said, setting Winnona down. “I’ll just… leave y’all to it. I’ll see ya at the finish line. Take care of her, alright?”

“Sure.”

Applejack left, casting one last worried glance at Redheart.

“Maybe I should call it quits,” Redheart muttered to herself, rubbing her sore head.

There was a whimper, and she felt something brush against her front leg. Winona gently rubbed against her leg, as if sensing her distress.

“I’m fine,” Red muttered, gently pushing the dog away. “You do your job and this’ll all be over soon, then you can go back to… apple pies and tree counting, or whatever it is Applejack has you do all day.”

“Arf!”

Winona seemed perfectly fine with that.


It didn’t take long for the race to begin. Soon Redheart and the other racers were lined up at the starting line, the sound of barking dogs filling the air. Everyone was bundled up in coats and jackets (save for the flagpony, who was a lanky teenager dressed in shorts and a polo) with spectators packed along either side.

“Gosh, my heart always races right before we start,” Roseluck said as she fiddled with her goggles.

Redheart leaned over to snuggle her. “I know. We’ll be fine! We always are.”

Rose leaned into her and the two shared an embrace.

Things weren’t completely smoothed over since their argument yesterday, but the two knew that they’d have to somewhat get along by the time the race started.

“Gross!” called Raider from next to them, her dogs growling at Redheart’s.

Redheart rolled her eyes. “You’re just jealous.”

“Nah, I work best alone.”

“Because nobody can stand you,” snickered Redheart.

Raider rolled her eyes. “Yeah, well good look beating me with that as your lead dog,” she said, gesturing to Winona who just looked happy to be there.

“Hey, she’ll do just fine!” Roseluck shouted back.

“We’re starting,” Redheart shouted, drawing everyone’s attention to the teen unicorn levitating two flags above his head. He gave a quick glance to the left and right before the flags dropped down.

In a flash, all the racers tore off down the street to a chorus of cheers. The street would very quickly give way to bare snow, as the mushers would quickly hit Neighncorage’s outskirts. Mushers would wave and greet each other as they passed, spreading out as wide as they could to avoid any unwanted collisions, with their lead dogs forging a path ahead.

Redheart usually didn’t have to pay much attention here, but she gripped the reins tightly and watched carefully as Winona led the charge. Winona had tracking ability and had learned the route, but Redheart still didn’t trust her completely, even if the other dogs loyally followed her lead.

Even then, the opening stages of the race were fairly uneventful. Most of it was spent re-settling into the sled, regaining bearings and skills that hadn’t been used in the warmer months and letting the dogs do their work.

Redheart gently got into a familiar rhythm of checking location and direction with Rose, scanning the nearby surroundings, and giving orders to make slight adjustments to the dogs.

It didn’t take long for the initial order of racers to be established. Other mushers either sped ahead or fell behind, and soon the Redjacks found themselves alone as they trotted onwards.

The Idiatrot consisted of a series of checkpoints: makeshift shelters that offered food, medical assistance, and resting points for mushers and their crews. Stopping at the checkpoints was not an option: each muser had to take mandatory breaks before continuing, else the more competitive half would certainly die trying to win.

“There’s a new checkpoint this year,” Roseluck called out as a reminder. “The path goes around the other side of The Hump.”

“Right,” Redheart replied as she gave a quick glance at her map. “Swing team, easy on the corners, we have some sharper turns this year.”

Two and Three barked in affirmation.

“They know what to do, Red,” Rose muttered.

“Doesn’t hurt to remind them.”

Rose rolled her eyes.

At the front of the pack, Winona glanced over her shoulder, tongue hanging out and flapping merrily, a gleam in their eye. At least someone seemed to be having fun. “Eyes forwards, One.”

“Winnona.”

“Oneonna.”

Winnona.”

“Fine.”


Three checkpoints later and Redheart was feeling the cold.

The team was undergoing inspection and resting, while Rose and Red took the time to grab some food and huddle around the fire to see what some of the other racers were up to.

They weren’t making great time, but still, things could have been worse.

“Can’t believe our luck!” Angel Wings swore, teeth still chattering.

“You’re telling me, first time we cross another team and of course Duke goes crazy,” Aloha sputtered.

Apparently, when the two teams had crossed paths, their lead dogs had accidentally gotten too close to each other, resulting in a mini-collision that had left both riders shaken but otherwise alright. The result was a very cold Angel Wings and Blossom Delight, a very shocked Aloha, and a very amused Silverstar.

“He alright at least?” Blossom asked.

“Dunno,” Silverstar replied. “I think so, but he had a bit of a limp. I’m waitin’ for the vets to let me know if we can continue.”

Angel sighed sadly. “Hope so too, I know Charlie just feels awful about it.”

Redheart decided not to ask how she could possibly know what a dog was feeling.

“Still, y’all be careful out there,” Silverstar said. “I didn’t think visibility would get this bad this fast, and it sounds like things are only going to get worse.”

The other gathered racers muttered in agreement.

As the conversation shifted to other topics, Redheart excused herself to find more hot chocolate. She ran into Roseluck by the kitchen. “Oh, hey Red. I was just talking with the weatherpony in charge, and they said that the snow is just going to keep coming.”

“Heard about the same,” Redheart confirmed as she fixed herself another beverage. “Nothing we can’t handle.”

“I don’t doubt that, but we might want to consider slowing down.”

Redheart sighed. “We can’t afford to, if Raider’s not here then she must be ahead of us. We can barely close the gap at our current pace.”

“I’d rather we both make it to the finish line alive,” Rose protested. “Red, you need to consider that.”

“I’m considering that this is going to be close and we can’t afford to take any shortcuts,” Redheart muttered, glancing at her watch. “Our break’s almost over, we need to leave soon anyways.”

Fixing the lid to her cup, Redheart swiftly turned to leave without waiting for a response.

As she stepped out into the cold, Redheart stared up at the cloud-covered sky sprinkling snow over the world. “...This used to be fun,” she muttered. “Now it’s just another chore. Ugh… maybe it’s time to retire.”


“Arf!”

Redheart turned to see a furry brown-and-yellow missile speeding towards her. “No–”

Winona leapt up into Redheart’s forelegs, determined to lick her face. The result was that Redheart’s cup of hot chocolate spilled all over herself, and the abrupt force of the small dog slamming into her knocked her onto her back.

“ARGH!”

“Arf!”

With a great effort, Redheart shoved Winona off of her, hissing in pain at her now slightly-scalded skin.

“You okay?” called one of the medics as they padded over.

“Fine!” Redheart shouted. “Just fine!”

Winona tilted her head, giving Redheart an inquisitive look.

“Oh, you know what you did,” hissed Redheart.

The dog whined, taking a few steps back.

“Just get back to the sled,” Redheart scolded. “Great… Don't have time to clean this up. Just great.”

With that, she stormed back towards the sled.

“Nearly there,” she told herself. “Just get through, it’ll all be worth it when you beat her.”

She hoped she could believe that.


“Wheels, Team, pick it up! Lead, straighten it up! Let’s go, let’s go!”

Redheart’s voice was harsh across the wind. Beneath it, Redheart could barely hear the panting and barks of the dogs. The snow was coming down hard now, coating everything in a layer of pure white.

Usually, the time would be passed by idle conversation with Rose to keep them both awake, sharp, and entertained, but Rose had kept mostly quiet since they left the checkpoint, only giving instructions and directional markers.

To beat Raider, everything had to be perfect: they had already made too many mistakes so far, so the rest of the race needed to be fast, clean, and efficient. And that meant constant adjustments to the dog’s paths.

“Come on, Team!” she shouted. “Move it!”

The dogs growled in response.

Everyone seemed to be annoyed, from the dogs to the mushers themselves. Redheart wasn’t sure if they were just cranky, or if it was just too cold, but she suspected it was a mix of both. Nevertheless, they would have to persevere.

They didn’t exactly have a choice anyways.

“Red, we’re coming up on The Hump,” Rose shouted.

“Yeah, got it, going around this year,” Redheart replied. “You got that Lead?”

Winona gave a single bark in response.

Rose sighed quietly.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“No, something’s clearly up,” Redheart sighed. “You haven’t set a word since earlier.”

“It’s nothing!” Rose insisted.

“Clearly, it isn’t! What’s your problem?”

“My problem?!” Rose shouted. “What’s the problem with you! You’ve been acting ridiculously the entire time we’ve been here!”

Redheart growled. “You knew what you were signing up for, don’t complain to me about not being up for the challenge.”

That remark earned her a sharp shove to the back that ended the conversation until Rose spoke again.

“There’s a lot of snow buildup there. We need to go around it, or slow down.”

“No time to!” Red replied. “We’re going straight through.”

“No, we’re not.”

“Who’s in charge here?!”

“Red, you’re going to get us killed!” Rose cried.

Some of the dogs cast worried glances back at her. “Forwards!” She snapped. “I’m tired of you thinking you know better than me,” she snapped. “Next time, why don’t you just–”

“Look out!”

There was a chorus of yelps as the sled hit a particularly thick patch of snow. Redheart swore and yanked the reins hard to the left, in attempt to keep them from careening into the river on their right.

The faulty harness that she had grabbed all those hours ago finally decided that now was the time to break. No longer attached to Fourteen, the sled jerked to the right: pitching an unprepared Redheart off the side.

“RED!” screamed Rose.

Red tumbled down the hill, snow flying everywhere. With nothing to grab onto and nothing to break her fall, she splashed into the river, the cold water electrifying her.

Despite the heavy snow, the river hadn’t frozen solid yet. That meant that the current was still running strong, and Redheart quickly found herself being whisked away down the river. Away from her team, and away from the trail.

Water filled her lungs and stung to her eyes, as her waterlogged jacket weighed her down. Desperately, Redheart tried to find something to hold onto to stop herself, something to pull her out.

Eventually her hoof found footing, and she hoisted herself out of the river, soaking wet and freezing. She panted heavily, teeth chattering as the wind bit into her. “D-D-D-Damn it,” she stuttered, trying to get to her hooves.

The world around her was completely unfamiliar. Redheart couldn’t see The Bulge at all, and there was no trace of any path or landmarks.

She was lost.

Her soaked clothes were weighing her down, but Redheart wasn’t sure if she could risk taking them off. Either way, if she didn’t find a way to warm up fast, she wouldn’t last long in the winter.

Redheart began stumbling forwards, trying to fight back the panic brewing within her. She had no idea where she was even going: her navigation and survival equipment were still with Rose on the sled.

No heat, no navigation, no rations.

How in Celestia’s name was she going to get out of this? Unless… Unless she wasn’t.

Redheart tripped over her own hooves, landing in the snow. Was this how her life was going to end? Freezing to death alone, in the middle of nowhere?

“Stupid dogs, stupid Rose,” Red muttered as she trudged forwards. “I… I don’t need them. I can do it… Myself.”

Of course she could handle this. All she ever had to depend on was herself after all.

Redheart slipped and smashed her chin into the snow.

“Argh! If it weren’t for those… those stupid dogs and that stupid Winona,” she cursed. “Rose should’ve… She should’ve…”

Her heart sank as she realized that her last memory of Rose would be fighting, arguing with her and trying to prove she knew better. Fat lot of good she knew, lying there in the snow.

Time lost meaning as her temperature continued to drop. Redheart lost track of how many times she tripped and how many times she pulled herself back up, wondering if she’d have the strength to rise the next time she fell.

Memories nipped at the corner of her mind. Rose’s disappointment, Silverstar’s warning. Winona staring up at her with wide, loving eyes. That dog had come into something that she had never done before without complaining and without argument.

And Redheart had never once shown appreciation for that.

The cold gave way to guilt. “I-I’m sorry,” she whispered. “I’m sorry I wasn’t better…”

Her eyelids began to drop as snow continued to pile onto her, burying her in a suffocating white blanket. It was comforting, but the medical professional within her knew what this meant.

Hypothermia. She was going to freeze to death.

“Rose,” she whispered. “I… I love…”

She flinched, vaguely feeling something lapping against her cheek.

“Wh…”

Something warm pressed up against her side. Then something else. Then something else. Soon Redheart felt her body completely enveloped by warm and furry objects.

Not objects.

Dogs.

Redheart forced her eyes open.

“Arf!”

“...Winnona?”

“Arf!” The dog did a happy jump, licking at Redheart’s face.

Looking around, Redheart recognized her sled team, pressing up against her. Using their bodies to warm her. “What…?”

“Arf! Arf!” Winnona barked something at Three, who nodded and bolted away.

“How did you…” Winnona darted over, nestling herself in between Redheart’s forelegs and nuzzling her neck.

Relief washed over her. Her dogs, that she had never once shown care or love for, had come to find her.

How was any of this their fault, she realized. If anything, weren’t they just following her own instructions? The realization dawned on her that in her misguided efforts to find someone to blame, the real culprit was likely her own arrogance.

But these dogs didn’t care. They had come back for her. Saved her.

Redheart hugged Winnona back tightly. “T-Thank you,” she whispered, tears welling in her eyes. “Thank you.”

Winnona gave a sympathetic whine, echoed by the other dogs.

She lay there sobbing and clutching Winona, the warmth of their bodies slowly thawing her until she heard a new sound drawing closer.

“Oh Celestia, Red!”

Redheart perked up, seeing Rose rush towards her, Twelve and Thirteen bounding behind her and easily pulling the unoccupied sled with Three guiding them.

Rose knelt next to her, checking for wounds. “Oh thank Celestia, are you hurt?”

“C-Cold,” she muttered. Rose pressed her forehead against Redheart’s and the two shared a quick embrace.

“I’m so glad you’re alive,” Rose whispered. “I was… I was so scared when you…”

Redheart shakily raised a hoof and placed it on Rose’s cheek. “I’m… I’m so s-s-sorry.”

“Shh, it’s okay. We’re gonna make it. I need to…” Rose fumbled with her backpack before pulling out a flare gun. “Can you walk?”

“Dunno,” Red replied, resting in Rose’s lap. “Cold. And tired.”

Rose nodded, rummaging around again before firing the gun into the air. The yellow light arced high above them, lingering in the air for a few seconds.

“Rose, I’m… I’m sorry, I was acting so stupidly, I… I let the c-c-competition get the better of me,” Redheart sighed.

“Yeah, you kinda were, but I’m just happy you’re alive. I… I really thought I lost you,” Rose said, swiping at her eyes.

The two held their embrace in the security of their dogs until two pegasi descended from the sky.

“What’s the situation?” asked the first medic.

“She fell off the sled, landed in the river,” Rose replied.

The second one began checking Redheart over. “Okay… Hypothermia hasn’t set in yet, no signs of frostbite… Do you have spare clothes?”

“At the sled.”

“Let’s get her out of these wet ones. Can you walk?”

The two hauled Redheart to her hooves as the dogs gave way, guiding her back towards the sled. The next few hours passed quickly as Redheart spaced out. A few more medics flew in and out, wrapping Redheart in blankets and giving attention.

At some point Winona lept into her lap as she was leaned against the sled, and nopony made an effort to remove her. Redheart stroked her head, thankful for the distraction.

She was surprised when she heard several barking dogs drawing closer. “Redheart!” called a voice.

“Oh no,” muttered Redheart as Raider’s team drew to a halt next to them.

“Saw that flare from the checkpoint,” called the musher as they bounded over. “What happened?”

Redheart sighed, wishing for a brief moment that she could cease to exist.

“One of the harnesses snapped,” Rose answered. “Threw Red into the river.”

“Sheesh! I’m glad you’re alive. I had my share of frozen river swims, and I can’t say I’d recommend them.” Raider took off her goggles and Redheart was surprised to see her eyes laced with concern.

Winona tilted her head at Redheart. “Um… Thanks,” Redheart muttered. “You were at the checkpoint and turned around?”

“I mean… of course! I may work alone but the race isn’t as important as your life.”

“Mm… yeah, you’re right,” Redheart admitted. “I’m such a dunce. I… I didn’t think they’d come back for me, especially after how I treated them. Why… Why’d you come back?”

Raider laughed. “I mean, I’ve never seen you flare out as many years as we’ve been doing this so I figured it had to be something serious. Knew that there wasn’t anyone else near me either, and besides, I may work alone but even I know that a race isn’t as important as someone’s life.”

“I… Yeah, you’re right,” Redheart agreed with a sigh. “I’m such a dolt for not realizing that sooner.”

“So, what’s the verdict?”

“Well, it’ll be hard to get an airlift through the snow,” the lead medic said. “Best bet is to use the sled and dogs, take things slowly until we reach the finish line.”

Daring nodded. “Sounds good, I’ll come with you so you have another sled.”

The medic nodded and trotted off to give instructions to the others.

“Arf!”

“Yeah,” Redheart said, giving Winona a kiss on the forehead. “I guess I did learn something after all.”

The rest of her team surrounded her hesitantly.

Redheart laughed. “Alright, alright, you convinced me. Bring it in, everyone.” The words barely left her mouth when she was quite literally dogpiled and covered in slobbery kisses.

Maybe naming dogs wasn’t such a bizarre thing after all.

Comments ( 7 )

This was a great little story. I like how you characterized Redheart here, she felt unique from how I've usually seen her. A bit cynical and bitter, but you can kinda understand if you've ever had competition go to your head.

Roseheart is an adorable and creative ship, too.

Top marks, this was a great read!

Wait.....is this based on "Balto?"

11457668

Yes and no. The story's clearly based on the real-life Iditarod dog sled race, which in turn is a commemoration of the epic dog sled relay to deliver desperately needed diphtheria serum to Nome, Alaska. Balto was the last lead dog in the relay, but had one of the shortest and easiest runs of any of the dog teams; the outstanding dog in the relay sequence was Togo, whose team ran 260 miles of the 674 mile relay and was originally planned to single-handedly double-run the entire delivery.

(The change from a single team run to a relay was a last-second change which was made after musher Seppala had already set out from Nome 'backwards' to Nenana, because the Alaskan authorities didn't believe he could pull it off solo. This nearly caused the entire thing to end in catastrophe, as there was no way to inform Seppala of the change and the outgoing dog team had to intercept him en route to hand off the serum.)

11457978
Nice! I'll give it a read! :yay:

Lessons were learned, friendships made, and relationships strengthened. Hopefully Redheart will have learned to apply her beside manners to more than just her patients!

The read was quite the rollercoaster. Thank you very much for the story! :heart: :twilightsmile:

This was a fun story, and great to see a different view of Nurse Redheart. Teaming her up with Roseluck and Winona and putting her in a dog sled race certainly isn't anything I would have imagined. Glad to see she learned to appreciate dogs in the end.

Come to find out Daring was the Rider all along
It all makes sense now why Red hated that it was Daring week at Rose's book club.
Also
A good read

~Reggie

Login or register to comment